Thread: Thoughts and ideas after 1 year of AO

Post Thoughts and ideas after 1 year of AO

To all who read, please excuse the long posting, however, I feel that it was needed to do some real analysis on this game that many of us do enjoy despite the bugs. The following will be basically a summary of the last year, the current state, and possible future of this game. Furthermore, I sincerely do hope that Cosmik does read this since it really does affect the outcome of where this game is going within the next 3-6 months.

I first purchased AO last summer completely unaware of what this game was about and the basic knowledge of online games. The game sparked my interest, and still does, however it does take much time to devote to it in all aspects of the game. When I first put it on my machine, I found that the specs as mentioned at the time of purchase were misleading, and caused me to purchase more memory and ultimately a new computer. I also purchased DSL and now have migrated to Cable Internet to offset my internet costs bundled with my Cable TV. Anyway, when first installed, I found the game to be very disjointed, lack major content, and very bug-ladened. As time drew on, I saw that Funcom, while not the best in the PR business, did make strives to improve the game, and add some content. We were spoon fed a story last year, and the patches resulted in a more playable and consequently a more enjoyable game. However, in FC's effort to patch the game, they left out many things, that I feel are very important for a game like this. Many small things like apartments, elected officials, zoning, resumption of story line, adding new territory, and implementation of other ways to "level up" are needed now, and should be brought into the game.

We stand now with a shell of a game, which is playable in many aspects, yet the content and ability to build on the basic story is still lacking. The story has not progressed much since last year, and there hasn't been any major changes to affect game play at all. Now, some ways to help move the story along is to implement features that would allow the growth of groups and factions. Allow guilds to have meeting places, allow people to purchase property and land. Doing this will bring in the fluidity to the game it is sorely lacking. More also needs to be done with the main characters. Make "Radiman" more proactive along with the others including "Ross". Open up new parts of land, and include groups like "Dust Brigade" to be contracted and etc. In otherwords, work with the people who are playing. Make them more involved than just leveling and chatting. AO is still a very good game, and contains a lot of potential, yet it is not being used to it's fullest potential.

Lastly, we all know that on the Horizon is Star Wars Galaxies. As you may or may not know, SWG begins open beta testing on July 17th I think. With that, brings new competition, and in my opinion a sense of urgancy for FC to really pull it together. After reading at SWG's website about the plans, and goals of SWG, it really seems that the two games are very similar in content. Replace Clans with Rebels, Empire with Omni, and you have AO in basic format. Following the development, it seems that SWG is poised to take many AO people and set up shop on SWG. I myself will stay with AO for a period of time after SWG has been introduced to the public to gadge how well it takes off, but unfortunately, it will be a hard sell to keep myself interested unless the story, and events begin to take place.

In closing, I guess I am saying is that with a year's worth of playing, and waiting and seeing what will happen with the game, I have been happy, and disappointed with it. I have met very good people, and had some great times. Yet, the RP aspect in respect to the game's story itself is getting very uneventful and dare I say it boring. How many times can you go into the same dungeon and do the same killing? There needs to be more here, and more representation of the people here who want to interact with the game. Ultimately, I do hope FC see this, and understand that people do want to make this game work.

I beta tested, and that was a lil over a year ago.. alot hasnt changed but alot has as well.. to be honest, things were crashing alot more back then, and admins were few and far between.

I bought the game after beta testing, and when the employee told me it was nonrefundable I got a sinking feeling in my stomach. . anyways, I brought it home, and although the installation has alot to be desired, the game play is so addicting to me.

I feel the storyline is in dire need of attention. goign around hunting or missioning is all fine and good as long as the activities have alot to them, right now they are rather 2 dimensional..

I think more has to come from FunCOM, they need to really add that extra something or it just is another game, like all those DOS games that end up in the "where are they now" file...

I hope that doesnt happen to AO...

Emiko,

Unfortunately, there are a lot of things that need much attention. And yes, the crashes are fewer and farer between (with the exception of the latest patch 14.2.X). But the point is that they have a game that runs fairly well now, and nothing within it. Now don't get me wrong, hunting and the missions now are fun, and the game is VERY addictive. However without any new substantial content, I will find myself moving on. As a paying customer of a product, I would like to see a more interactive role with the characters of the story line and I would like to see the housing situation taken care of. Earlier I had a posting of having elected officials in each town and city which would report back to the major omni and clan officials. If this was instituted, it would give a more concrete feeling to the game. Ultimately, what it seems is that FC has spread itself thin with this game, and either they work on fixing the bugs or the storyline. And for now, it is the bugs they're more concerned with.