Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my take on the so-called "evil omni-tek", keep an open mind

my take on the so-called "evil omni-tek", keep an open mind

not to be redundant or anything, but I also posted this in this thread:
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...566#post515566

Alot of folks are missing the point entirely. The whole good vs evil thing was handled amzingly well by funcom, in my opinion. Yes, omni tek is SUPPOSED to be evil, but in truth from what I've read, it's so much more complex than that. It plays out alot like it would in the real world, you just have to look at the finer points. Omni has a leader that shows compassion towards both sides of the conflict. War, to philip ross, is a last resort measure. However, we get the feeling that philip ross is truly in the dark about much of the shady business going on in omni tek. He didn't strike me as the type of man who would knowingly commit some of the atrocities that omni tek is upposedly guilty of.....or is he? We never know, funcom has not given us all the details, and that's how it should be. We should not know all of the details.

Sometimes corruption exists in the higher echelons of a hyper corporation such as omni tek, and sometimes the corruption is focused at the bottom....let me explain. The formation of the clans happened as a direct result of a mining accident in which several atroxes were killed, and also a result of "poor treatment" of mining workers by omni tek. But did it really happen that way, or is that folks' perception of the event after years of retelling the story? Now lets suppose that's exactly what happened. Omni tek treated its miners poorly, so many quit and formed the clans. Does that make omni tek evil, or the omni mining supervisors? Think of it as working at walmart. You have this horrible boss that treats you miserably. Do you think his boss told him "treat your workers like crap, so they will quit and rebel against us". Of course not! It's in a company's best interest to treat its workers properly, to increase morale and work production rates. This is, im sure, what the higher ups at omni tek wanted.

The negative actions of the mining supervisors were there own to make and do not reflect properly of the company as a whole. Because some low lvl supervisors decided to abuse their employees, they now have a planet wide rebellion on their hands. But wait, omni tek was founded by evil omega beings.... So at the very lowest and the very highest levels of omni, we have evil, which would put philip ross (who strikes me more as a figurehead than anything else) and other good intentioned omni-tek employees somewhere in the middle. They probably don't even realize what's going on at either end of the totem pole.... or maybe they do. Ask any employee at Microsoft (heh, im a former employee) and there is no doubt that they know they are working for the devil of the software industry. but they'll tell you like i tell you "Im just trying to make a living. I don't want to get involved". So sure, maybe they are just an engi fixing a coffee pot, but they do it knowing full well ahead of time that they are working for the "bad" guy. But like anything else, it's easier to comply than fight back. Most omni employees are just like you or I, good natured but to complacent (like we are with the IRS). But is "going with the flow and keeping your head down" the right thing to do if you know that the company you work for does bad things? (this is much like how american citizens know that the government does some shady business, misallocates funds, etc). Remember that sloth is one of the "even deadly sins".

I think that making omni employees look evil while in the shadowlands opens up a whole new door of realization. If shadowlands were real, many of us who think of ourselves as typically good people would show up as devils in the shadowlands. But not ALL clanners should show up as angels and not ALL omni tek should show up as devils. Because after all, just because the clans are fighting for freedom, it doesn't make them the "good guys" automatically. Clanners are typically lax, don't like taking orders, lack structure and organization, so this would be the reason that MANY folks would choose to be clan. Sure, you don't get the cheap prices and easy road that omni tek does, but you can lay around in the sun all day if you like. It's pervasive enough to actually work in the real world.

But I feel that your physical representation in the shadowlands should be a combination of profession and "good or bad deeds done in game", perhaps based on the types of missions we accept. If we choose alot of assassination missions or show a careless disregard for life by ganking others, we would show up as evil. But if we choose the "recover stolen item" or "make contact" missions and pvp mostly in self defense or in the arena, we should show up as good. That way, we could have "evil" clanners, good clanners, evil omni and good omni and many shades in between. To know what im talking about, look at the game "black and white". your hand icon and pet creature changes its appearence based upon choices you make in game. This would also give a purpose to the "good and bad" slider on the mission booths. the downside is this would be extraordinarily difficult to implement. But if Funcom is dedicated to AO and its paying customers and wishes to not only make AO thrive, but also justify the cost of the expansion, I feel strongly that they should make this extra effort and I'm hoping they agree with this.

I think in terms of storyline, stepping into the shadowlands will cause omnitek to re-evaluate its views and perhaps unite with the clans against a common evil, perhaps FROM the shadowlands. The game wont end with omni tek "losing" per se, but rather with omni and the clans uniting and defeating a common foe, initiating a long standing peace on rubi ka. In the end, there won't be clans and omni tek, but humans united against evil.

how does that sound?

Sounds perfect, exactly what I think to a "T".

We should control our destiny in AO.

That is the next step in MMPORPG

I agree wholeheartedly. My characters are not evil in nature, even if they do work for Omni-Tek. The way I see it, both sides are equally evil, and equally good. For good guys, the clanners (storywise) certainly show a blatant disregard for human life, especially the lives of non-combatants. Remember the apartment building bombing in omni-e?

If anything, if FC wants to get into a good vs evil match, then the Omni and Clan members should -all- be devils, with neutrals given the angel wings and halos, since they are definining themselves as non-combatants, and wish to just live in peace.

Just my 2cr, for what it's worth.

I agree with you completely on this. Especially with the Clans, Omni-Tek (also Neutrals) having to band together to fight a greater evil.

Omni-Tek IS the greater evil. The Shadowlands expansion will show that to you loud and clear. Their intentions are insidious and represent a threat to what mankind has taken as sacred and holy.

Omni-Tek has decent, if unaware, employees right now. They will be made clearly aware of their company's intentions come the expansion.

If you continue to wade through the nerfs and level-horsecrap and manage to buy Shadowlands, then you will have to make a choice if you are an Omni employee. Roleplay a brainwashed citizen and stay with Omni-Tek. Roleplay an evil bastard who agrees with Omni-Tek's goals and hopes to grab some power by association. Or join the resistance in attempting to prevent Omni-Tek from seizing the ultimate power.

You CANNOT play a good person who advances Omni-Tek's goals in the expansion.

Given his personality, I would not be surprised to see Phillip Ross leave the company once the reality of what is happening at the top is revealed to him. This is the opportunity for all you 'loyal' employees to jump ship and follow your leader to the side of righteousness. A nice 'out' for FunCom too, to cover up for their failure to inform the playerbase of what Omni-Tek really stood for.

EDIT: And I'll say it here first. FunCom needs to implement a one-patch opportunity (just like IPR) for players to switch sides without losing their token boards. Unless they play the Omni and Clan join together to fight an even greater evil in the second expansion, they are going to have a lot of unhappy customers who find out Omni-Tek is trying to steal the powers of God for their own purposes.

Let's put it this way: come the Shadowlands you will find out that it is Phillip Ross' boss and his boss' boss' intention to murder every young child born with blue eyes and partially decapitate every Atrox not born with a green Mohawk. That's truth.

Now, tell me all you 'good' people are going to continue your employment with them. You may be good people. Ross may be a good person. But, Omni-Tek is E V I L.
    Last edited by Bionitrous; Jul 15th, 2002 at 18:22:13.

Angry

Blah blah blah. What we have here above this post, people, is a brainwashed clanner spewing forth what his terrorist overlords have imprinted on his mind during his last session of freedom indoctrination with them.

And in case any of you that don't know... there is really nothing that humans hold sacred, not during the final periods Old Earth thousands of years ago, and definitely not now.

The thing is though, the Clans arn't free....they just keep warbling on about how they want freedom when all they do is band together to kill things, sign up to a unelected council and end up being puppets doing things in the name of freedom, when they don't have it.

Freedom on Rubi-ka comes down to one choice...neutrality We get bullied around by everyone, but hell, we are free to do what we like, when we like, and go where we like...can't say the same for the Clans or OT on that
    Major "Nyadach" Prabel
    Neutral and proud of it!

Well I posted this on other board and will post again

FCs true intensions for OT and Clans:

http://download.anarchy-online.com/game/sides.html

Was the poll I voted on a long time ago, right after beta came out.

Edit: Added "Was the poll I voted on a long time ago."

http://download.anarchy-online.com/game/editorial.html

Tells you what FC was aiming for back then and probably still but with little effort.
    Gabro ,
    A Member of Lost Chapter
    Level 200 Bureaucrat RK1

Except...

OF course, the fact that FC representatives have already stated 'the stuff here is wrong. We didn't realise people could get access to it and it is *well* out of date'

So feel free to read this. Feel free to take anything you like away from it. But don't be shocked when it turns out that it is all entirely untrue.
    Crazynotion - Atrox Bureaucrat, RK1

Formerly posted as Mechanita

Re: Except...

Originally posted by Mechanita
    OF course, the fact that FC representatives have already stated 'the stuff here is wrong. We didn't realise people could get access to it and it is *well* out of date'
    That's me! I'm the "FC representative"!

Yeah, the stuff from the old site will, quite frankly, be waaay out of date: remember, this was prior to AO's launch, with content written years and years ago. Some of it so wrong that it's not even funny (Omni-Tek signed the lease contract for Rubi-Ka in 3563 AD? Huh. Funny, since OT wasn't founded until the year 12000-something, and Rubi-Ka wasn't discovered until 28702).

Sorry for the confusion, guys, but the fact is that the old site isn't even supposed to be accessible anymore.

-Ragnar

Talking Re: Re: Except...

Originally posted by Ragnar
    That's me! I'm the "FC representative"!

Yeah, the stuff from the old site will, quite frankly, be waaay out of date: remember, this was prior to AO's launch, with content written years and years ago. Some of it so wrong that it's not even funny (Omni-Tek signed the lease contract for Rubi-Ka in 3563 AD? Huh. Funny, since OT wasn't founded until the year 12000-something, and Rubi-Ka wasn't discovered until 28702).

Sorry for the confusion, guys, but the fact is that the old site isn't even supposed to be accessible anymore.

-Ragnar
    Woot, congratulations on reaching Post 35! You were only at Post 30 a few hours back! And this is only now, think what will your post count be once the story actually take off again! You'll soon rival Cosmik or Cz in post counts!

Re: Re: Re: Except...

Originally posted by Salada
    You'll soon rival Cosmik or Cz in post counts!
    Hardly! I just happen to be in a posting mood right now

-Ragnar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Except...

Originally posted by Ragnar

Hardly! I just happen to be in a posting mood right now

-Ragnar
    And we are really enjoying it Happy Birthday by the way.
    Last edited by Myers; Jul 31st, 2002 at 18:36:04.

Hmm the whole Omni = Evil, Clans = Good thing....nawwww
    Omni are more fuzzy and cuddly in there current form, partically those 'troxes with there cuddly white armour Think kinda white cuddly wombles, all following there orders to clean the common, but usually carrying a mallet.

As for the Clans hmm, think in the current look of things they're more a wasps nest which someones decided to thwack with a stick so they are running around looking for a direction, but stinging all in the way. Kinda needing to find that one thing to sting the living day lights out of so they have a goal, but look all buzzy and nifty in there stripes.

*looks for food before saying something else nutty*.
    Major "Nyadach" Prabel
    Neutral and proud of it!

I thought the old site was shut off, was surprized when I got in and the link worked.

Anywho, I was thinking about the article Gaute posted about the storyline (I think it was him). He was talking about how the game isn't really "anarchy" anymore and is going different ways. So the whole Omni vs Clans thing is starting to come to a close I think, as we start getting closer to shadowlands.

Right now the whole Civil War thing is pretty nifty, but it's mostly player based so I don't know how far it will go.
    Gabro ,
    A Member of Lost Chapter
    Level 200 Bureaucrat RK1

Why does Shadowlands mean the Omni/Clan conflict is ending? If anything, it will just aggrevate the situation. The Omni/Clan conflict is the heart of the story and I would expect it to drive the story through all four years...
    Clan fixer, Fourth Title

Director of Information
    Analog Myth

Basically, when we find out about the creation of Mankind and how we were kicked off of Rubi'Ka and not out of the Garden of Eden and that Notum makes immortality and resurrection possible and that Omni-Tek wishes to usurp the power of 'God', then it simply becomes a story of 'Good vs. Evil'.

The 'Clans' and 'Omni-Tek' situation becomes irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. The survival of mankind kinda overshadows the importance of who's the traffic cop of the week in Meetemedere.

All the politics gone before have little context or meaning when you are talking about eternal damnation or enlightenment of a species.

Then again, it's still technically Phillip Ross's bosses who are looking to control the Shadowlands so you could say it's still the same struggle. Only thing is that the Clans reason for existance is gone (or at a minimum, altered). They surely should be joined by many Omni-Tek'ers who realize how foul their employers are at the core. Likewise, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few clans attempt to ride the coattails of power into eternal life.

And you ever wonder why the Dust Brigade attacked indiscriminately? Perhaps they know something that the playerbase doesn't at this time. You did notice Omni-Tek freaking out over them to the point that Ross and Radiman's chess game had to be put on hold?

It's new chapter. Oddly, seems like it should be the last chapter to me. But, a new chapter nonetheless.

If only they weren't dicking with the game mechanics for the last year and just woulda got on with the show.

Omnitek is a corporation and it is...

designed to make a profit for its share-holders and investors. It is a mechanism for making money and most of those it makes money for are off-planet and have no interest in Rubika for anything but a valuable resource. It is NOT a mechanism for self-government by a planet of sentient beings.

One thing that I think many people overlook is this; what are the known uses of mined notum...the mined notum that is exported off-planet at an alarming rate? The answer can easily be extrapolated from the on-plantet uses of mined notum. Think about it in terms of peace-time use and war-related uses. What percentage of mined notum is used for war on Rubika? How many peace-time uses can you actually think of? So....extrapolating I'd have to guess that the VAST quantity of mined notum taken from Rubika is used to wage war around the Galaxy and the profits line the pockets of Omnitek execs and shareholders that predominately reside off-planet. Hence doesn't Omnitek have a vested interest in directly or indirectly encouraging war so as to have a growing customer base?

I find it appalling that we make our meager living on Rubika by supplying fuel for a huge Galactic war machine.

Hmmmm?

The first use of nanotechnology by Farmateck was to cure cancer. All Notum is currently known to facilitate is the continual existance of nanobots outside of a human host. It's not about war at all. It's simply analogous to oil in our time. Sure, it might drive war machines and war may be waged over it. But, the true power of oil if fueling the machine of commerce and industry.

The other properties of notum will be revealed in the Shadowlands expansion. That will give you something to fight over.

Question

Originally posted by Bionitrous
    The first use of nanotechnology by Farmateck was to cure cancer. All Notum is currently known to facilitate is the continual existance of nanobots outside of a human host. It's not about war at all. It's simply analogous to oil in our time. Sure, it might drive war machines and war may be waged over it. But, the true power of oil if fueling the machine of commerce and industry.

The other properties of notum will be revealed in the Shadowlands expansion. That will give you something to fight over.
    Judging from what she said, Nelida is a devote clanner either un-interested or unable to see the truth, only blindly believes her anarchist overlords in whatever they said.

There have been what, five galatic-wide corporate wars to date? And how was the last Sol Banking-Omni Tek conflict prior to the out break of 5th Corporate War ended? War take away hyper corporations' profits, less profit = bad, and because no sane corporate board really wants war that the ICC was founded.

Truth is meaningless to the average clanner, that's why their leadership called themselves the Council of Truth .

PS. The notum is an infinite resource, so the rate at which it is mined cannot be considered alarming as if it is a finite resource .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast