Thread: Pathing For Bots

Angry Pathing For Bots

I agree a new bot add was a must but a bigger must has to be door sizes in missions. Im using a Warbot now wich to me was very exiting to get and have, but now that i can't make him get through even the second door of the missions its nothing but frustrating. I really want to play this game for a long time but with all my stuff fast becoming outdated and the NON-ABILITY to do missions for any goods or money is becoming to much. I havent had a success since the patch that doesn't allow you to shoot through the door. If Fun Com could come up with this fix it would be much appreciated, i understand it takes time to work out bugs but this is taking the fun out of the game.

Thanks
    MINO

pathing indead

either fix pathing or remove the damn water traps or silly objects of floor when you have a mop after you and try to send your pet to attack or what ever you see your pet not responding to you turn around no bot he s stuck in 3 rooms before in the pool swimming or stock in the metal stuff on ground but mops them they go trough walls shoot you from 3 rooms away you cant even cast a simple mez/slow/nuke or name it cause you have a pebble in front of you why dont you do somehting that pets could teleport to you when you get too far away in D2 it does that a crappy game like Lineage was doing that .

like i said 3 solutions make the pets to be able to follow the same path you took / give the ability to jump or what ever or remove the objects that get your pet stuck i died so many often cause of pet was stuck and the mop him warp trough walls door pass beside my pet with no problems while it s stuck or make em teleport and those green toxic places are a hell do do with a pet=pet fall in green juice swimm all the way beside mops ,mops warp on metal path and kick your ass each time i enter a mission like that well i go out and delete mission ,ppl dont wanna do missions with me often cause my freaking pet is stuck at every 2 rooms or jams in a wall and look at me getting killed my friends who uses pets dont even feel like doing missions if it s those kind of mission area

do something

Do what Diablo 2 does, before trying anymore to make pathing work

Funcom,

Pathing for pets sucks, plain and simple. I'm sure you are aware of the problem. But as a software developer, I know how difficult path finding is. Stop pussyfooting around and give us proven workarounds used by lots of other games, instead of trying to make it work. You can make pathfinding work later, but make changes that help us NOW.

Here is the list of rooms that give MP pets a really hard time:

Office type dungeon:

1. Room with the long conference table + chairs, overhead lights, and 4 exits. Pets get stuck on the table/chair.

2. Room with the circle machine with the spinning arm. Pets get stuck not knowing how to get around.

3. Tight corners cause pets to get stuck.

Brown cave dungeon type:

1. Main room where there is green slime and a catwalk. Pets get stuck in the green slime.

2. Straight room with 2 exits, and deep water (where you have to swim across). Pets don't cross water.

3. Corner room with 2 exits, and deep water (where you have to swim across). Again, pets don't cross water.

4. Brown room with broken metal grate on the floor, where the grate is in 2 pieces, one of them at a 45' incline. Pet gets stuck navigating the little ramp.

5. Tiny blue room with water in the middle, and some pipes on the ground. Pets can't navigate around pipes.

Since your level designers did not build many of the rooms of missions with pet pathfinding mind, please make the following changes to pets (some of it is used by Diablo 2):

1. If a pet is supposed to move to a certain room, but after 3 seconds, has not moved more than X units (X is to be determined - but basically the pet doesn't move too far), teleport the pet to one of the doors to the room where it should be. The door that the owner last entered through is a good choice.

2. If a pet can't draw line of sight to a target in a room, where it is supposed to be (i.e. fighting a mob, or healing something), teleport the pet to where the target is. If you can't teleport it, make the pet pass through all walls and obstacles unhindered (like mobs).

Forget making pathfinding work until you do these two changes. Make the game playable, and forget "tweaking" the pathfinding because other companies that specialize in pathfinding (Blizzard), have "fallbacks" when pathfinding takes too many CPU cycles or plain doesn't work.

Argh. 6 months after the game is out and this still doesn't work.

Tim

Pathing

Wrong forum, but I can assure you we're working on both the pathing code and the rooms. (Good and useful list, TimOtholt. Thanks. )

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...185#post244185

Cz