Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: AO Linux HOWTO

hmm well i have installed Cedega 6.1 and have ubuntu 8.04 and Ao 17.5
    but i cant install pacths it says i dont have write comands .
    and i should talk to my admin !! wtf
    and idea ?
    and i an i no way and linux geek . so keep the tech talk on a low mortal level )
    still fighting my way around ubuntu ..

cheers.
    OmG "its the migthy vomit" RK2 omni
    .-= Ive Got Your Back=-.
    220 engi /215 doc / 180 enf soli / 141 shade / 168 mp / 126 doc / 125 agent / 59 fixer / 187 fixer /130 sol / 155 ma / 90 NT/ 188crat /156 trader /150 keeper/ 150 enf trox /+some more i forgot

http://www.bash.org/?top

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown

Here are my notes:

Well, I managed to get it to work. The graphics are bad, the text nearly unreadable, and I think that can be tweaked to look and 'feel' better.

Here is the process I went through (refined) to get it to work.

* Install Ubuntu 7.10 (the various configurations might be a hassle, in particular the video - there are numerous resources on the internet to help).

* Install Wine (System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager > Wine (0.9.46) )

* Download Anarchy Online install file (17.6.1) (if you don't already have one saved)

* Download an old AnarchyPatcher.exe (save to desktop for now)

* Install Anarchy through the Wine interface (Right click on file, select "Open with Wine...", or if not an option yet, "Open with Other Application..." and select Wine)

* When Anarchy has completed installing, it should bring you up to the Login / Patch screen. LEAVE THAT OPEN AND RUNNING!

* Rename the OldAnarchy.exe to AnarchyPatcher.exe, copy it, and paste it in the Anarchy Online folder over the 'current' one.

* Switch back to your Login / Patch screen, and click on <Patch>

Your client should begin the patching process from here. You may have to repeat this last part of the process (start client, copy/paste old Patcher, click ) a time or two, but it will work.

This process seems to work with both Wine and Cedega.

This should bring you up to the point of where you can start your game. There may well be other tweaks and polishing needed to the video and/or sound, but... this should get you started!

Wine is a bit buggy, for some reason. I had it working with the version loaded through the Package Manager - but the graphics were very grainy, text was unreadable. Updated to the very latest version of Wine, and the client crashes out on load. (haven't tried digging into this, yet).

Cedega works very nicely. It's a bit laggier than running through Windows, but I think that's just some tweaking needed on my part. VERY playable, though.
    Found this on some website, i hope it will help ^^
    Dark1947 220 / 30 Fixer 1rst fixer AI 30 on Rimor

Advisor of Devil Inside : still looking for new players and pvpers... More info at Devil Inside website here

Actualité Geek et High-Tech Place4Geek.com

Fixer Guides : Low HP setup, PvP and reflects-
    ----------------Tips & Tricks for PVP with your fixer against all profs
    ----------------QL 300 AI eye without burden & without gunship

Also note it works great with Wine 1.x and Wine svn.
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    Quote Originally Posted by randomalpha View Post
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

Hello, thanks for the guide!

Anyway, the link for the "InstallAOCedega.sh" is broken. The url times out.

Is there anywhere else I can get this file?
    Rapidstorm 160/6 Crat
    Diegankzor 210/15 Enforcer
    Diegma 220/20 Martial Artist
    Diegles 212/12(currently) Martial Artist
    Proud member of Deadly Whisper (AoF)

Quote Originally Posted by vomitusdk View Post
    hmm well i have installed Cedega 6.1 and have ubuntu 8.04 and Ao 17.5
    but i cant install pacths it says i dont have write comands .
    and i should talk to my admin !! wtf
    and idea ?
    and i an i no way and linux geek . so keep the tech talk on a low mortal level )
    still fighting my way around ubuntu ..

cheers.
    I get that too.. And in my AO directory it seems that I'm missing alot of files.

the prefs folder doesnt excist, client.exe is gone etc etc.

NM read a little closer
    Last edited by Trypha; Sep 7th, 2008 at 23:47:58.
    Trypha - 220/30/70 Engineer - General of Nocturnal Fear
    Trypothecary - 220/30/69 Doctor
    Trypocalypse - 220/30/70 Soldier
    Tryptophy - 220 Crat

"Most people would rather die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell

I can't manage to apply the 17.1 -> 17.2 patch
    Using the method with the old patcher works until it comes to patch client.exe, then i have an error :
    failure reading from old file, current file client.exe

I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 and wine 1.0.

Any ideas ?
    Gonido - 220 MP - RK2
    Neutral - President of Harmony

Former French Fansite Manager
    http://ao.mondespersistants.com

are you or have you tried patching from terminal with the old anarchypatcher.exe ?

I've always found this works for me and I'm currently on 8.04 as well

there is a out line on how to do it on the wine app database for AO

if you need a older patcher I can upload one for you
    Alexanderw 220/17 Opi MA Current setup work in progress.

I thought I would offer this new service. I have set up some bots that link chat channels between RK1, RK2, and irc.funcom.com for linux related community support and socializing. From ingame anyone can join by doing:

/tell linuxbot !join

or you can join us in IRC.

Server: irc.funcom.com
    Channel: #linuxbot

Please read over the !rules the first time you join, and have fun!
    (o>
    //\
    V_/_

Playing AO on Gentoo + Fluxbox

Quote Originally Posted by Methodma View Post
    I thought I would offer this new service. I have set up some bots that link chat channels between RK1, RK2, and irc.funcom.com for linux related community support and socializing. From ingame anyone can join by doing:

/tell linuxbot !join

or you can join us in IRC.

Server: irc.funcom.com
    Channel: #linuxbot

Please read over the !rules the first time you join, and have fun!
    That's awesome. When I get back home I'll be a regular guest

Another Gentoo user too <3
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

Thumbs up What worked for me

I'm running Ubuntu 8,10, Intrepid

My issue was that wine would install the application, but when it came to patching it wouldn't work. Wine was up to date, and it was a new download and install of AO, so I didn't see the need to reinstall. I did attempt the ies4linux hack (setting the WINEPREFIX to "/home/username/.ies4linux/ie6" and then running the game) and was able to now see all the juicy information from the login screen but still update wouldn't work. So I found another (and somewhat simpler, if you have the facilities) method.

After I installed the game in linux, I just copied over (and overwrote) all my local (linux) Anarchy Online files with my up-to-date windows version. It fixed the issue instantly and allowed me to play the game without error. My WINEPREFIX was set to "/home/username/.wine/", which means I didn't receive the flashy ies4linux help to display the login message but the game itself DID work. I've not been able to try the update function yet since well, there have yet to be any new updates.

By the way, replace /home/username/ with your actual username in those WINEPREFIX envs listed above.
    "I'd like to thank all my fans in Newland. If it wasn't for you guys, I wouldn't have any fans in Newland!" --me

Quote Originally Posted by shiaulteyr View Post
    I'm running Ubuntu 8,10, Intrepid

My issue was that wine would install the application, but when it came to patching it wouldn't work. Wine was up to date, and it was a new download and install of AO, so I didn't see the need to reinstall. I did attempt the ies4linux hack (setting the WINEPREFIX to "/home/username/.ies4linux/ie6" and then running the game) and was able to now see all the juicy information from the login screen but still update wouldn't work. So I found another (and somewhat simpler, if you have the facilities) method.

After I installed the game in linux, I just copied over (and overwrote) all my local (linux) Anarchy Online files with my up-to-date windows version. It fixed the issue instantly and allowed me to play the game without error. My WINEPREFIX was set to "/home/username/.wine/", which means I didn't receive the flashy ies4linux help to display the login message but the game itself DID work. I've not been able to try the update function yet since well, there have yet to be any new updates.

By the way, replace /home/username/ with your actual username in those WINEPREFIX envs listed above.
    You can't patch with wine or cedega without a small work around.

There's something in this very thread I think, with a link to an old AnarchyPatcher.exe, if not look up Anarchy Online on the Wine website, the same work around is posted there.

Basically you need to get the launcher running, where you can see the Patch button. Before you click Patch, copy the old AnarchyPatcher.exe over your current AnarchyPatcher.exe in the AO folder then click Patch. Voila, game patched.
    Member of Spartans
    Genius at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacre View Post
    You can't patch with wine or cedega without a small work around.

There's something in this very thread I think, with a link to an old AnarchyPatcher.exe, if not look up Anarchy Online on the Wine website, the same work around is posted there.

Basically you need to get the launcher running, where you can see the Patch button. Before you click Patch, copy the old AnarchyPatcher.exe over your current AnarchyPatcher.exe in the AO folder then click Patch. Voila, game patched.
    You need to save the newer one though, cause some patches don't update that file and the game wont start if there is an older version in there (and it will fail at trying to fix it)

So you backup the newer one thats in there, then do as you said, then when its done just cancel out instead of having it reboot the client and then swap with the backed up newer patcher.

Im almost positive it has something to do with the patcher update they did a while ago that allowed for it to reboot the patcher on its own instead of having you manually reboot it on every patch. Linux (and windows vista if its running in program files) does not like that.

BTW anyone able to get AODB to run in wine on linux? I get it started but soon as i click on any menu it crashes.
    Krause Equip

*** Krause's Evil WTB Thread! (Weird/Odd Stuff) ***
    (Items like "Lost Faith/Hope", "Wreath of Insects", "Chirop Exoskeleton Wing Mesh", "Small Jar", "Old Barrel")
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This is going to get done if it kills me or preferably someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Krause View Post
    You need to save the newer one though, cause some patches don't update that file and the game wont start if there is an older version in there (and it will fail at trying to fix it)

So you backup the newer one thats in there, then do as you said, then when its done just cancel out instead of having it reboot the client and then swap with the backed up newer patcher.

Im almost positive it has something to do with the patcher update they did a while ago that allowed for it to reboot the patcher on its own instead of having you manually reboot it on every patch. Linux (and windows vista if its running in program files) does not like that.

BTW anyone able to get AODB to run in wine on linux? I get it started but soon as i click on any menu it crashes.
    Hmm, everytime I've patched since the change, the client always downloads a new AnarchyPatcher.exe. Still good advice though.

As for AODBOffline, I get the same issue. Though I recently got clicksaver working reliably, so I'll take another look at that when I get the chance.
    Member of Spartans
    Genius at work.

I'm trying to get AO to work with wine on Ubuntu 8.10. I successfully patched using the old patcher, and the game is completely up-to-date. However, when i run the game itself, it goes from the EULA and appears to sprint through the integrity checks. Nothing happens after that. It just stops.

Has anyone else had this problem?

-EDIT-

I looked at the Anarchy.err file, and apparently it doesn't like the old patcher (which is still in there.) I failed to backup the new patcher before replacing it with the old one; is there any place where I can download a new one?

-DOUBLE EDIT-

I fixed it by deleting the AnarchyPatcher.exe in the PatchesUndo folder, which forced the client to download a new patcher

AO is now working
    Last edited by Iscarrim; Mar 7th, 2009 at 21:55:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacre View Post
    . Though I recently got clicksaver working reliably, .

Mind sharing that with me

I did have it working at once point with the Winetricks.sh file workaround but now I can no longer get clicksaver to do anything but startup and update

ps.. God I should start bookmarking that download link for the patcher.. cause every time that issue comes up on the fourms I have to make a new link... think there's five of them out there now
    Alexanderw 220/17 Opi MA Current setup work in progress.

I have discover an anoying thing .. i am unnable to do LE mish .. certain rooms just crash always ... as soon as i enter them i crash 100% i try logggin again and i crash again etc ...

I tried updateing wine (1.1.17) as well as grafik drivers but with same result, any one else had the same experience ? Any pointers on how to resolve it ?
    Workboy and my equip

Aggroboy
    and my equip

Quote Originally Posted by Pomidor View Post
    History of great experiences during Anarchy Online timeplay:

2001 - I just saw a player!
    2002 - I was in huge battle!
    2003 - I have Made first twink!
    2004 - I have made first quest in Shadowlands
    2005 - I dinged 220
    2006 - Was that an Alien? Holy Mothership...
    2007 - I own my first ql 300 CSS!
    2008 - We did Beast with just 3 guys!
    2009 - Damn, that Xan weapons LoX... erm Rox!
    2010 - Finnaly first character fully geared with all best stuff.
    2011 - Battlestations are so much zerg wars
    2012 - I have made set of twinks for new level ranges, they rocks!
    2013 - I made few 220 characters to level other characters...
    2014 - I saw a player!

Quote Originally Posted by Senare View Post
    I have discover an anoying thing .. i am unnable to do LE mish .. certain rooms just crash always ... as soon as i enter them i crash 100% i try logggin again and i crash again etc ...

I tried updateing wine (1.1.17) as well as grafik drivers but with same result, any one else had the same experience ? Any pointers on how to resolve it ?
    Wine is 100% guaranteed to crash in certain rooms in LE missions at the moment, I have no idea why.

Your only solution for Linux is to use Cedega, that doesn't suffer with those problems, at all.
    Member of Spartans
    Genius at work.

Okej well good to know then i just stay out of LE mish for now ... any where else the same issue pops up ?
    Workboy and my equip

Aggroboy
    and my equip

Quote Originally Posted by Pomidor View Post
    History of great experiences during Anarchy Online timeplay:

2001 - I just saw a player!
    2002 - I was in huge battle!
    2003 - I have Made first twink!
    2004 - I have made first quest in Shadowlands
    2005 - I dinged 220
    2006 - Was that an Alien? Holy Mothership...
    2007 - I own my first ql 300 CSS!
    2008 - We did Beast with just 3 guys!
    2009 - Damn, that Xan weapons LoX... erm Rox!
    2010 - Finnaly first character fully geared with all best stuff.
    2011 - Battlestations are so much zerg wars
    2012 - I have made set of twinks for new level ranges, they rocks!
    2013 - I made few 220 characters to level other characters...
    2014 - I saw a player!

Quote Originally Posted by Senare View Post
    Okej well good to know then i just stay out of LE mish for now ... any where else the same issue pops up ?
    Not that I've noticed.
    Member of Spartans
    Genius at work.

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast