Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: AO Linux HOWTO

the move over of the windows install is a great idea but what of us that do not have that option?

my self I know for a fact that my computer will not load windows (this the reason I installed linux)

hopfuly we find a transgaming solution
    Alexanderw 220/17 Opi MA Current setup work in progress.

Anyone try what Pupin suggests here for Linux? Maybe this can help

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...=505636&page=7

and found here too

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=505737

first post Lupusceleri
    Nijushio - 220/30 - semi-retired MA
    Nijutech - 220/29 - funny Engi
    Sabrezor - 170/24 - bored Advy
    Sabrezap - 150/20 - confused fixi

Changing the version.id file works.

Thank you!

Running AO on Ubuntu with wine, all is working no bugs noticed you just need to run it in full screen.

About 35-40 fps kinda everywhere. Its running faster than window so bye bye window.
    Dark1947 220 / 30 Fixer 1rst fixer AI 30 on Rimor

Advisor of Devil Inside : still looking for new players and pvpers... More info at Devil Inside website here

Actualité Geek et High-Tech Place4Geek.com

Fixer Guides : Low HP setup, PvP and reflects-
    ----------------Tips & Tricks for PVP with your fixer against all profs
    ----------------QL 300 AI eye without burden & without gunship

As others have written in the other threads:
    To get around the AOPatcher problem (AO downloading/using a nonworking version) make a backup copy of an older version of AOPatcher.exe (rename it to something else) then use that to patch the game.
    May your RD always kick in between death and reclaim.
    Honest Businessmen and women: The Mockers
    I eat Grid Armor nanos. *BURP* Hungry again!
    Power Users run Anarchy Online from Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by kaghelion View Post
    As others have written in the other threads:
    To get around the AOPatcher problem (AO downloading/using a nonworking version) make a backup copy of an older version of AOPatcher.exe (rename it to something else) then use that to patch the game.
    I was using virtual box to patch it

Gonna try that thanks ^^

Advisor of Devil Inside : still looking for new players and pvpers... More info at Devil Inside website here

can someone share an older, working anarchypatcher.exe? I'm getting tired of copying my install around and rebooting to windows and back just to patch ^^

Quote Originally Posted by sukas View Post
    can someone share an older, working anarchypatcher.exe? I'm getting tired of copying my install around and rebooting to windows and back just to patch ^^

bump : )
    Nijushio - 220/30 - semi-retired MA
    Nijutech - 220/29 - funny Engi
    Sabrezor - 170/24 - bored Advy
    Sabrezap - 150/20 - confused fixi

Yes still problem patching

Quote Originally Posted by Dark1947 View Post
    Its running faster than window so bye bye window.
    QFT! I'm getting the same thing.

The only reason I'm keeping Windows around now is because iTunes doesn't work quite so well under wine. Yes, that's right: The only reason I'm using Windows is so I can run software by Microsoft's biggest competitor XD
    Roland "Monczeli" Faoláin - 189/11/42 - Assembly

egadsrk2: I can't recall the last time I played this game with pants on.

anarchypatcher.exe

old version for those that need it
    Alexanderw 220/17 Opi MA Current setup work in progress.

Here are my notes:

Well, I managed to get it to work. The graphics are bad, the text nearly unreadable, and I think that can be tweaked to look and 'feel' better.

Here is the process I went through (refined) to get it to work.

* Install Ubuntu 7.10 (the various configurations might be a hassle, in particular the video - there are numerous resources on the internet to help).

* Install Wine (System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager > Wine (0.9.46) )

* Download Anarchy Online install file (17.6.1) (if you don't already have one saved)

* Download an old AnarchyPatcher.exe (save to desktop for now)

* Install Anarchy through the Wine interface (Right click on file, select "Open with Wine...", or if not an option yet, "Open with Other Application..." and select Wine)

* When Anarchy has completed installing, it should bring you up to the Login / Patch screen. LEAVE THAT OPEN AND RUNNING!

* Rename the OldAnarchy.exe to AnarchyPatcher.exe, copy it, and paste it in the Anarchy Online folder over the 'current' one.

* Switch back to your Login / Patch screen, and click on <Patch>

Your client should begin the patching process from here. You may have to repeat this last part of the process (start client, copy/paste old Patcher, click ) a time or two, but it will work.

This process seems to work with both Wine and Cedega.

This should bring you up to the point of where you can start your game. There may well be other tweaks and polishing needed to the video and/or sound, but... this should get you started!

Wine is a bit buggy, for some reason. I had it working with the version loaded through the Package Manager - but the graphics were very grainy, text was unreadable. Updated to the very latest version of Wine, and the client crashes out on load. (haven't tried digging into this, yet).

Cedega works very nicely. It's a bit laggier than running through Windows, but I think that's just some tweaking needed on my part. VERY playable, though.

I am curious... what are your specs?

I am currently using dual booting on my laptop (Vista for games, Ubuntu for School work) and Vista frankly sucks when it comes to patching, but playing is fine. So I am wondering, would I get much of a performance increase in switching AO over to Ubuntu from Vista? Or at the very least more or less equal? lol.

As it seems that Vista does not play as well with older engines. (IE planet side ran so so on Vista, but flew like a bat out of hell with XP with full details on at max resolution etc.) While other, newer engines seem to run more or less the same on either system with some reports of people seeing improvements of handling in Vista.

Though I am wondering, with the release of the new engine what are the chances it would be broken in Wine/Cedega?
    Last edited by RunningMirage; Jan 29th, 2008 at 21:51:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Monczeli View Post
    The only reason I'm keeping Windows around now is because iTunes doesn't work quite so well under wine.
    heard of banshee?
    it perform quite nicely
    Nwalker, 1/2, ranged adventurer, president of =ACF= Clair de Lune
    randomletter: I kind of disagree advs are overpowered. IN my hands, yes.
    Entventurer: If ranged (advis) get the same pvp killpower as melee (advis), there will be absolutely no point to melee in pvp.
    Valhallur: If you go with trox, be sure to take the two week course "Humblebien's lessons in the advanced art of how to hit MR".
    <3

fck itunes or anything else.

amarok is a better music player than any other in any OS. and it's made for linux.

/can't wait for amarok 2 with a windows port.

Prouver que j'ai raison serait accorder que je puisse avoir tort.

Kind of OT... but for some reason when running Amarok it does not play some of my music, where as if I use the default player that came with gnome it plays it just fine... and I want to switch to KDE completely so this is bugging me. Would I need to download the codecs for the Amarok program?

As I was under the impression that the codecs worked like they did in window, in that you DL the codec, and it then uses them automatically for every media player program...

Quote Originally Posted by RunningMirage View Post
    As I was under the impression that the codecs worked like they did in window, in that you DL the codec, and it then uses them automatically for every media player program...
    it depends, if you look for media player classic or vlc they have a huge bank of "builtin" codecs, maybe gmpc is working the same way (dunno, didn't even installed it)
    try this app on you music:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=21358
    Nwalker, 1/2, ranged adventurer, president of =ACF= Clair de Lune
    randomletter: I kind of disagree advs are overpowered. IN my hands, yes.
    Entventurer: If ranged (advis) get the same pvp killpower as melee (advis), there will be absolutely no point to melee in pvp.
    Valhallur: If you go with trox, be sure to take the two week course "Humblebien's lessons in the advanced art of how to hit MR".
    <3

anyone else have a problem of really low fps inside player shops? also at the apf place while standing on the bridge, or looking at the bridge, my fps drops like mad.

everywhere else its fine (so far has been atleast)

running with ubuntu 7.10 gutsy gibbons + latest version of wine

I have the problem too.
    It seems to be a texture and/or lighting related problem, cause it's the same in tower shops (same textures).

Go to first person view mode, it's much better this way.

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast