Thread: AO to share storyline with Tetris ?

AO to share storyline with Tetris ?

Is it too much to expect the storyline to happen IN the actual game ? So far all I see is a book and a few video clips, but very little happening in the game itself.

Same old hamster wheel as far as I can see. Form a group, kill mobs, get levels, buy better stuff, form another group, kill more mobs... but if you want to hear interesting stuff about Radiman's execution or Dark Carnival's court appearance then you have to leave the game and look at a website or a bbs.

AO has always had superb potential, and I do enjoy playing. But this pretence of a storyline doesnt give the game any more actual content. If you wrote a book to accompany Tetris you could claim it had a storline too.
    SIsTeRs.oF.eVIL
    A band of psycho renegade techno-nun disco-enthusiasts, working on the extreme boundaries of respectable behaviour in OMNI INQUISITION.

Unhappy

Is it too much to expect the storyline to happen IN the actual game ? So far all I see is a book and a few video clips, but very little happening in the game itself.

ARf...i totally agree with you !

/oofa LVL 47 MP

It's interesting, I was rereading some of the old Funcom news articles about the storyline and a particular line jumped out at me: "The storyline is about context." Context is usually used in juxtaposition to content, so perhaps we were all just too blinded by our desire for the storyline to be in-game to see the signs that that wasn't really Funcom's original intent. I certainly didn't get that from the literature, but perhaps that was more my naivete than anything else.

Scorus

Bah!

This sort of attitude always makes me laugh in wonderment. It's kinda like saying that the News doens't bring the events to you. The web-sites you are reading are News. The webisites are acting as Newpapers.

Do you complain when you read the Headlines on your local paper that you were not there for the occurance? Do you moan when the News on TV talks about events in the middle east...whineing that you were not there? Well...perhaps you do...and it is just me that is being daft.

Get yourself into gear. The Trial was a publisised event...you could have gone along quite easily...don't not go and then moan that you had to read about it on a website.

Get yourself in a good Guild. Check out websites for up-coming events. Monitor all the chat channels. Have a walk around the cities on occasion to see what is going on. Talk to people.

Trouble is with people is that they want everything to come to then. They expect to sit there and be spoon fed this "story". Well sorry...this isn't TV or the Movies...so if you want to keep up with the story and get involved with it and the events...then it is just going to take some effort on your behalf.

Think about it...the story does happen in game. Just because you are not there at the time or don't see it...doesn't mean it's not happening...

Rubi-Ka 2

Well, for one thing Hiero, you are right, and you are wrong.

If we are talking about Rubi-Ka1, then you are somewhat right.
    But if Virindi is on RK2, I completely understand his consern.
    I DOUBT (I do not know) that there were any Radimans going
    to Omni-1 on RK2. And ofcourse the trial didn't happen there, of
    obvious reasons. I have played there since september, and even
    the number of playerdriven events is small.

I am not gonna PRETEND like everything that has happened on
    RK1 has happened on RK2. Going around complaining about the
    cyborg attacks when they never actually happened, would be
    feeling stupid. Instead, we had some cyborgs, which for
    MYSTERIOUS reasons, started showing up in Greater Tir.

Vilbo

Well reading my post again I guess I will apologise because it is much harsher than I intened.

Also...for everyone on RK2 I can understand your concerns...it really is very unfair. Hopefully for you though...some players and guilds can get some events going, which may help out somewhat.

But it's still not the same.

Still thinking about it...What would have happened if there where two Radiman's, one on each RK. RK1 was assassinated by Aberic...but obviously RK2 Radiman something else would have happened. Clearly the story can't go ahead in that manner.

But...how about doing one event on RK1, and then the next on RK2...all works out fairly then...

Well sort of. Bit of a messy situation having these two RK's really...

In responce to Vilbo

I remember back when FC decided to put up and open Rk2 (about a month after release). They said most if not all of the events would happen on Rk1. Rk2 was an attempt to lessen the horrible lag everyone was experiencing. It also was an appeasment because a lot of people wanted another dimension. You can't run the story line on two different dimensions because, it was only ment for one. You can do some events like raids and such but not the big meetings. It was said they would open a link up between Rk1 and Rk2 later down the line. I don't know if this idea was lost or shelved. It was and is a great idea and needs to be implemented so everyone, both Rk1 and Rk2, can "get in on the action" so to speak.

Talking

thx for those who chose RK2...arf , i did...,and trying to make REAL events on RK2 is nearly impossible due to the fact that all Funcom team play on RK1 (i think they do not now that we exist )
    well, i'll continue to make my guilde grow and maybe we'll see if we can handle things here ... after a while.

/oofa