Thread: Where did all the people go?

Independent Reporters of Rubi-Ka Editor: IRRK's Avatar

Where did all the people go?

Reporter Jots

Newland City -- (IRRK) -- July 30, 29478. It is hard to imagine the bustling community that once lived here, tucked in a small oasis of lush forests adjacent to a small lake in Newland Desert. Newland City now just is a stopping point for travelers on their way between other places.

Walking the streets of the city, an eerie quiet hangs. The Newland Militia guards silently stand their posts, as do the merchants longing for the heyday before the city went quiet. Nobody really knows when it happened, although some such as Rookie Fap "Autofap" Fap and Jun "Kajun" Kazama suggest it was the discovery of the Shadowlands that had lured the locals away with tales of adventure and riches.

The merchants such as the Bartender in Neuters ‘R’ Us just shrug and offer a refill when asked about the missing crowds. Others, such as local resident Felix Swicord just silently go back about their business without comment.

The Bronto Burger stand is also empty of revelers, as is the Bronto Burger outside the city. While groups still visit, it is not in the quantity before. A few stop by while shopping, like Adiema and Pearlie "Ennevine" Barnaby or while grabbing a mission like Dion "Davarian" Clancy and Kriti. A few, such as Mel "Pobeda" Rm and Cryorgen were just stopping for a rest before heading back to their business.

Talking with the travelers that could spare a moment, I heard tales of this Shadowlands, and its attraction, especially for those that live in the austere desert areas of Rubi-Ka. Autofap spoke of new challenges saying, "Seems to be a new hobby for people to go to Shadowlands and kill rocks. Very hard to kill. They drop carry things that sell for a lot of money."

He told of his favorite visiting place there, "I like Sheol. It is quiet there not so many people. There are many mountains there so it is not very easy to move around. The place is unusual and lovable at the same time; it is beautiful with some metaphysical kind of wild life. Wildlife you can bet is dangerous, at least when you are unprepared to them, later on you grow in skills, so, for us professional fighters, it's not much of a burden. But the almost complete absence of our usual technology makes other things in life very complicated out there, the place is huge, full of mountains, and lakes, and rivers."

Other comments pointed at a more political reason for the lack of people around the city. Autofap commented, "Well it started with neutrals deciding that guards in Newland would kill all clanners on sight." While the new Newland Militia guards no longer shoot on sight, their opinion toward the Clan is still less than friendly. One guard said, "And where were the Clans when we needed them? A bunch of greedy cowards, which should put their credits where their mouth is because when push came to shove, those dogs put their tails between their legs and ran for the hills." Still, the link to Omni-Tek is not entirely solid either. Another guard commented, "We can not trust the Clans or Omni-Tek to help without sacrificing part of our freedom."

Either way, something has caused a significant loss in travelers visiting Newland. Whether it is the lure of exotic places, the hostile attitude of past militia guards hired to protect the neutrality of the city, or more sinister causes is uncertain.

The effect is the same; the vendors suffer from the lack of trade. Even the availability of goods being cut off, at least for those such as Autofap and Kajun who were hunting new vehicles, but finding little from which to choose. Where once stood a proud and thriving city, now stands an echo of glories past.

For what it's worth, Rubi-Ka Universal Robots still has its headquarters in Newland City. The city is only a shadow of what it was two months ago, but that helps our business by keeping the rents low.

Dabblez
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

I was born and raised in Newland and it rips at my heart everytime I walk into my once bustling home town. However last time I was there I noticed a few more people hanging around on "The Hill", no where near as many as in its heyday, but still, it gives on hope.
    Alexander "Talan" Calnid
    Currently AFK, will see you all in a few months
    Advisor of Shattered Dreams ~ My Equipment ~ Bio ~ My AO-Journal
    Alts of Note: "Malta" Desan ~ Equip || Jiro "Stone" Yamato ~ Equip || Jane "Lustywench" Scarlet ~ Equip || Scape ~ Equip

Tsukts: Yeah... You were the naked perv in bor. lol
    Talan: yep that was me
    Tsukts: I still have nightmares about you.

What really hurt my home city were the rules that only allowed low experienced citizens to get work inside the city.
    There is no way for most people to get jobs and missions from the city. If you can't make anything by going there, why go there?

Yes Newland city used to benefit from a bustling community and frequent visits from a lot of high level Omni-Tek personel. I think Newland's problem is 2-fold. One is a problem of the Shadowlands which still lure adventurous people and the other is the whole fiasco with the Sentinels and the Mercenaries. While Omni-Tek employees still visit Newland, the clans have long abandoned this neutral city and set up their business as usual in Borealis. When Shadowlands opened up Borealis got another advantage when they got a contract with Jobe to open up a Whompa in their city. So if you want to know where have all the people gone? They are all now in Borealis.
    This is Me, and this is Me PWNING a Heckler, WOOT!
    *all artwork is copyright protected originals by Mr.Fli

Originally posted by Cz
    And we all know Omni kick clan butts anytime.
    Freshman Jayne "Farmacist" Cifuentes

I think it really started to go down hill when Loren war and his bunch of thugs moved in. I also recall the grid exit used to be directly in the town which made it allot easier to pick up team mates and grid out. While I know the shadowlands has it’s charms, I think Newlands would still be it’s bright bustling self if it weren’t for Loren War’s mess. I don’t think we will ever see Newlands as full as it used to be unless they create a major attraction that is unique to that area.

I've got to blame it on the Rubi-Ka Whompa Transit System. When they decided to change their routes they left cities that used to be in the middle of the transit on the back burner. Tir suffers from the same fate.

To get people back to those cities we're going to need to see unique advantages to being in each one. Perhaps there is a special set of armor that can only be found in Tir, or maybe the bartender at Neuters R Us in Newland has a special drink that gives a buff that stacks with anything else of it's kind.

Rubi-Ka is full of war, and people strive to become the most powerful in it so that they may crush their foes. They will flock to the places that provide that for them.
    ArchPriest Katelin 'Lunayu' Saar - Former President of the Guild of Meta-Physics
    Former Council Member of the Council of Truth

House Demonslap
    A little Anger never hurt Nobody...

"It's called an Anger Manifestation not a Love Manifestation!"
    "And how does that make you feel?"

hit

The Problem with Tir is not the Transit System, it is the hostilities of the Sentinels clan towards a majority of the population. Tir used to be a clan city under ICC control, allowing people from all factions to visit. Omni-Pol made it their business to go there and root out terror suspects, unfortunately most clanners felt so much dislike for authority that they felt like it was harrassment. Now Tir is under control from a radical group, and I personally feel clan suffers more from this than anyone else as Tir has lost a lot of business. Newland learned its lesson and changed, perhaps it is now time for clanners to understand that unless the Sentinels are removed they will continue to suffer.
    This is Me, and this is Me PWNING a Heckler, WOOT!
    *all artwork is copyright protected originals by Mr.Fli

Originally posted by Cz
    And we all know Omni kick clan butts anytime.
    Freshman Jayne "Farmacist" Cifuentes

If the Clans are going to remove the Sentinels from Tir, I want in.
    Charles 'Kithrak' Houston - Equipment
    Administrator, Omni-Admin
    Bringing the politics of Rubi-Ka to life!

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche-

"By denying support to the possibility of peace, the Council of Truth is guranteeing an outcome of war."-Administrator Houston-

Actually, I find Newland quite crowded most of the time still.

((00c: This is Rimor though))
    Proud agent of the Disciples of Omni-Tek

Commissioner of the RKDC

"One should not lose one's temper unless one is certain of getting more and more angry to the end."
    William Butler Yeats

I live and work in Newland City so I spend quite a lot fo time there. On Atlenatean there is often a crowed outside Newland City, by the little BB near the mission terminals and the Grid. In the town itself though,I rarely see anyone other than the odd new arrival.

Dabblez
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

I still like to visit Newland at least once a day. It is a beautiful city, and I have had gatherings with friends there many times.

me thinks peps forgot a story abaut som merses that wud kill claners while trying to go to the faire sity of nl, i now i stop coming after that hapend and so did a lot of others

A bunch of mercenarys that was hired as an answer to some Yahoo´s in Tir shooting up every Neutral that they saw. I won´t go into if it was right or wrong, but if you look at Tir these days it´s pretty much a ghost town too. At least what i have seen.
    "On the frontlines, there is but one commandment...
    Thou Shalt Kill."

"As i stride knee deep through the dead, all is clear. I know what must be done...
    My cause is just...My will is strong...
    ...And my gun is very, very large!"
    The words of a true soldier.

I am ok with that, tir's sentinels should leave the place...it was a nice town...and btw mission terminal lv 26+ allowed would be nice too, the fair trade place was a place loved by many players...the grid out of the city like newland, it kill the town a little bit more too...