Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Information tools

Post 13.4 : Information tools

Information tools now work as intended.

Hell, I didn't even know they were broke in the first place! Unless they pop up info automatically to my HUD, I still ain't using them.
    Former Omni Prime Minister, The Hand of Chronos- aohoc.tripod.com

Talking Explanation please

Can we get some details on what it was supposed to be doing? Since a lot of NF have checks on them (mainly psychic) will it reveal that information to us?

Question

People actually use these?

at level 28 my agent, with some perception (green skill), I used a QL 12 one I found on some level 1 MOB in Trade. It gave me his life and nano points. Couldn't get it to work on anything that I was actually interested in knowing the Health on but I guess that is the way they are designed. To only be useful for gathering information on gray rollerrats 30 levels under you with a tool that has reqs in skills you don't have the IP to spare to raise.

Is that the definition of useless?

Up to now information tools when used only gave info on yourself...not your target.

These information tools are worthless past level 30.

Beyond there, you will know if you can kill the monster (or if it will kill you)

Only use I guess is to identify which of the medusas is bugged and hits for 3-5000 dmg despite looking (and being named) like all the others...

of course, it has normal hps, level and isn't aggressive... *sigh*

So overall, they are useless for anyone who is experienced with the game (and knows where to level for their level) or for newbies to AO who are past level 30.

I guess better than never...

Wohoo! I can use my information tools!

I currently have a set of ql 50 information tools, which require quite high perception skill.. Don't ask me why I wasted points in perception.

Wow... positive people do exist

Originally posted by Gogliostro
    Wohoo! I can use my information tools!

I currently have a set of ql 50 information tools, which require quite high perception skill.. Don't ask me why I wasted points in perception.
    Good on you Gogliostro! Good to finally see someone make a positive comment. I thought I was about to die from depression over the negativity I've just read in the last 4 threads about the new patch.

Of course info tools will be useful to some extent - knowing the exact hp and nano of a mob is really good info. Sure it's not something that is so useful a majority of players should start upping perception, but by no means is it 100% use*less*.

Capt - you're talking about Medusas - so you're hunting in DAV and you do know your mobs in most zones cause you've been to most of them and had experience already. But saying knowing what mob is what over level 30 is useless is not fair to someone that has just gotten to level 30 for the first time and doesn't have your experience. Sure somebody else could tell them what's what - if they could be bothered spending the time. There may even be someone playing AO full solo (there are some) and want to find out all the info for themselves.

I'd just like to throw in that all of the changes in this patch are improvements, and Funcom have stated time and time again that certain programmers can only work on certain things - so saying why is the backpack change higher priority than xxx etc. (sorry other thread) is just not relevant unless you know that the person that worked on it did so instead of fixing some higher priority bug that they personally *could* fix. So what this means is that everything's improved, and once this patch rolls out another set of *improvements* will be coming along next - although of course, if I know this msg board community it will be full of complaints as usual.

Well I'll say it to keep the spirit of others like me that are getting tired of the complaints... great job Funcom... keep it up
    "I'm going to kill you." "You're going to kill us?" "No, no I'm not, I'm just kidding."

These tools were of no use in the past.
    I'll check the new version.

The main problem is that if mobs higher than you "resist" the scanning from the tool, they are pretty useless.

Having them displaying directly the informations above the mob head without clicking on them would improve their use somehow.
    "Donner à des millions une connaissance de l'anglais, c'est les rendre esclaves". (Hind Swarâj, ch. 18)

The only reason I raised perception was for roleplaying reasons.. I can't really see 'the common man' using them all that much.
    Last edited by Gogliostro; Dec 7th, 2001 at 09:42:20.

Originally posted by Gummizluv
    These tools were of no use in the past.
    I'll check the new version.

The main problem is that if mobs higher than you "resist" the scanning from the tool, they are pretty useless.

Having them displaying directly the informations above the mob head without clicking on them would improve their use somehow.
    That sounds like a pretty good idea for them. I think the first stage is get them to actually work, then think of ways to make them better/more useful. Personally I'd still have no intention of using them at this stage - not unless the skill to use was really cheap.

It would be good to see them implemented in a way attractive enough that nobody ever needs to think about trying to write something like "AO Show" after the old EQ tool that I've heard about - I'd hate to see a tool like this just because the game doesn't provide ways to find the information people want to find.

And... just wondering, but what RP purpose does perception play? I don't use perception, so don't know too much about it - but I can't think of a practical RP application for it..
    "I'm going to kill you." "You're going to kill us?" "No, no I'm not, I'm just kidding."

/lookout
    /command search
    /me senses the presence of %t. Be wary.

And with the fix for information tools I can actually use it to warn my group of su****ious looking creatures :c)

Nothing practical.. just for own enjoyment.

Tools requirement to high.

My level 67 Adventurer have pretty high Perception, but I'm not even close to use a tool that will give me any information on NPC's being above my level, and that kind of defeats their purpose, since I mostly have no need to know that a yellow is level 70.

Maybe the purpose is for my level 150 friends to use one to figure out that a grey monster is really level 90 ?

Originally posted by Gogliostro
    The only reason I raised perception was for roleplaying reasons.. I can't really see 'the common man' using them all that much.
    That's the problem I have with them as well. As it is, they use a skill that has no other use (other then rumored Aim Shot resists) and you need to use a QL tool WAY over the level of the MOB you are trying to scan. Why shouldn't a level 15 use a level 10 tool to scan a level 27 MOB? If the MOB was level 50 sure I can see why he should have to wait but really. Having to use a tool and up your perception OVER then level of the MOB just to sneak a peak at his Health is silly. Lower the reqs and expand their effective level and players might say "I like using this tool and the IP cost doesn't gimp my ability to progress."

Instead we say, "155 Perception! What are they nutz? My level 32 can't spare that much IP just to see some info."

That is my point

There is another point of perception that you all seem to be missing, which is to locate traps on locked doors and chests. I guess you could say 'what's the point in wasting IP on finding and disarming traps?' but that is part of what roleplaying is about ... creating a unique individual with its own set of skills and abilities.

I sink into perception, but then again, I'm an agent and figure it's a good skill for an agent to have..

It used to be that I could target farther than other people, and I even had a mission once where my teammate couldn't see some red mobs that I was able to view. I could only attribute this to a higher perception..

Now, I noticed I can't seem to target as far in missions, but I keep perception up out of habit and the RP idea that perception is a good agent skill.. guess I'll try an information tool out

Originally posted by Gawyn
    There is another point of perception that you all seem to be missing, which is to locate traps on locked doors and chests. I guess you could say 'what's the point in wasting IP on finding and disarming traps?' but that is part of what roleplaying is about ... creating a unique individual with its own set of skills and abilities.
    Heh, or maybe it's useful because traps give several thousand xp when you disarm them even at low level. Of course I'm sure to 'most people' 3-4k xp is useless or whatever.

Why does everyone think these need to be so incredibly overequipped in order to work? The resist skill on all of them says it's concealment. Who knows what concealment mobs have since it serves no practical purpose for them? The only person in this thread who has put forth a compelling argument for the uselessness of them is the person who says they tried them once and found them useless. Although it would seem that the very idea that they were *broken* before and now they are *fixed* might negate his/her previous experience, no?

Not a flame

What about pvp?

I'd sure like to know how many HP mr atrox has or how much nano mr NT has.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast