Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 13.4 : Zone wide chat channels

Post 13.4 : Chat channels

Implemented zone-wide chat channels.

Could you please elaborate on this?
    zone wide chat, don't we already have the shopping and team chat, or does this span multiple zones?

Thumbs up

I think it's a general chat channel for every zone. With this chat channel there will be no more chatting in shopping or LFG channels.
    -------------------------------------
    Zerpentor lvl 213 Enforcer
    Lequack lvl 201 MP
    Ziele lvl 180 Soldier

yah, most likly. its going to be mayham in omni-trade hehe.
    imagain everyone in trade on 1 chat channel ugh.

Naw, it will be a great idea. This should greatly improve the game overall, for those who want to talk to others.

I think a server wide chat channel is a great idea. I tend to do a fair number of solo missions (gotta get those tokens/mission loot) and lots of them are far away from the grid or whompas. Chatting while healing up in a mission or while flying down The Longest Road would be a welcome touch.

I think they need to give us the ability to take off the old LFG channels from my list, scrolling through LFG 1-5, 5-10, 10-20, 20-35, well you get the idea, is a bit of a pain to select vicinity or team chat.
    Frelo - Level 29 Fixer (and loving every minute of it)

Anahata - Level 110 Solitus Trader
    Khephra - Level 6 Solitus Engineer
    Zaum - Level 8 Nanomage MP
    Merkaba715 - Level 50 Nanomage NT (Sleeping till NT's are fixed)
    Dimholt - Level 10 Atrox Enforcer
    Omni
    Rubi-Ka 1

'The only ones that see the end of war are the dead' - Plato

I agree that the new channels would be nice, but I also agree i am tired of having to scroll through lots of channels to pick the one i want. I propose a couple things to help with this.

1. add a new general tab called channels, in this tab list all the available channels, not just the ones in that zone... allow the user to pick which channels they want to be shown. *if avialable in the zone they are in. and which ones they do not.

2. Add an offline feature allowing us to easily edit our player's friends lists. similar to IE favorites editing. where we can quickly go through and remove unwanted listed friends. scrolling through all those names is almost as bad as scrolling through all the channels.

Cool It's suprising to some that Funcom do actually put stuff in that people would want

Both exist already...

1. You can click the "Shown Only" button to make it show only the ones you have selected. If you unclick you will see all the channels in that zone and can choose other ones, then click Shown Only again. (I always have Shown Only mode on, cause same as you I hate the number of channels available)

2. Use the webchat program (for RK1 only though unfortunately) at http://community.anarchy-online.com/...chat/chat.html

And err.. 3. Merkaba715 - choosing commonly used channels to chat in with the mouse at all is very painful - I recommend not doing it that way Instead on the chat line type "/ch t" and enter - and it will select team channel (unless you have another channel that starts with "t" that is. For vicinity use "/ch v". Shopping is a bit harder - there's too many ambigious channel names up until the level number for it to be easy to change on the chat line - so just use the mouse for this - besides, you never need to rush so much if you're just changing to shopping.

I do agree the interface could be better though - but they did say they're working on that only a few days ago, and are accepting suggestions - check the news page.
    Last edited by Kikdabucket; Dec 7th, 2001 at 07:23:23.
    "I'm going to kill you." "You're going to kill us?" "No, no I'm not, I'm just kidding."

Good job for me : one issue of the chat interface adressed.
    "Donner à des millions une connaissance de l'anglais, c'est les rendre esclaves". (Hind Swarâj, ch. 18)

I agree with the others....

More channels is cool, but PLEASE let us disable certain types of channels from appearing in our list in the Options.

When I don't care about shopping or grouping, I don't want the clutter of those items in my list, or at least don't want them at the top.

Also, while the zone-chat channel might make events easier (carry them out there, instead of /shout, which gives ou one channel to log), I'd still like to see the option that sends all channel logs to ONE file, instead of multiple.
    http://www.titanmining.com

Question chat

Does it work inside mission areas ?

Unhappy I think you're all terribly wrong!

This is not a good idea in a roleplaying and PvP sense! I understand this will be a channel where everyone in a given playfield, be it OT, clan or neutral can talk? Enemies doing business and overequipping each other becomes even easier now? And you will have to turn it off in popular zones to be able to read ANYTHING in your chat window. Its also a way to check what players from the other factions are in zone.
    Remember darkelves and highelves doing business in EQ? Forming groups? I'm actually not a PvP player but I'm wondering why they dont complain about this...

Val
    Xandro, neutral bureaucract

Originally posted by Merkaba715
    I think they need to give us the ability to take off the old LFG channels from my list, scrolling through LFG 1-5, 5-10, 10-20, 20-35, well you get the idea, is a bit of a pain to select vicinity or team chat.
    A good option is to uncheck the option to view the channels that you want removed, then click the "Show only viewed channels" or whatever it's called button on the lower right of the channel window. This gets rid of all channels you do not currently have 'on', and reduces the clutter in that window nicely. And the best part is it does this without restricting your ability to see channels that for some reason at some possible future date you might possibly want to check, but can't. (I hate the arbitrary on/off cap on channels. I don't understand why people can't have access to all shopping channels if they want. (Especially people who enjoy trading higher level stuff, but are under level 50, bleh)

Not a flame.

Re: I think you're all terribly wrong!

Originally posted by Valerian
    This is not a good idea in a roleplaying and PvP sense! I understand this will be a channel where everyone in a given playfield, be it OT, clan or neutral can talk? Enemies doing business and overequipping each other becomes even easier now? And you will have to turn it off in popular zones to be able to read ANYTHING in your chat window. Its also a way to check what players from the other factions are in zone.
    Remember darkelves and highelves doing business in EQ? Forming groups? I'm actually not a PvP player but I'm wondering why they dont complain about this...

Val
    Who knows how it works? Judging from previous channels that already exist, it would only make sense that there is a clan general and an ot general, but even if there's not, it's not like it spams that you are in a zone just because you are there. You have to make the choice to talk and give up whatever possible advantage your anonymity might give.

Plus you can always turn it off, right?

Re: reply

Originally posted by bengland
    2. Add an offline feature allowing us to easily edit our player's friends lists. similar to IE favorites editing. where we can quickly go through and remove unwanted listed friends. scrolling through all those names is almost as bad as scrolling through all the channels.
    You can edit the friends list in the chat client, I do it all the time to remove people from my list. You can also do it pretty easily in the game if you keep them organized (which I do), just right click on the names of people you don't want (one time trade or whatever) soon after the conversation is over, and select 'remove'.

This would be even easier if they would stop offline messages from kicking people down out of permanent friends list. ;) But I'm sure that will come with time, it's a very minor bug.

This is not a flame.

The zonewide channel (NOT serverwide), as it appeared on TestLive for my Omni character, is 'OT OOC', which presumably means one for each faction, and allowed/intended for Out Of Character conversations.

I'd prefer that if they have a zone faction OOC channel, there should also be a zone faction IC channel, but, for now, guess can do both in OOC.

Cool Better Chat channel idea -> split the shopping channels

Rather than go with the zone-wide channel (or heck, in addition to) perhaps splitting up the shopping channels to bands of 20 lvls or so.... I'm tired of hearing endless banter about stuff that 80% of the time is out of range for my char.... I used to LOVE trading w/ people... but listening to the shopping channels is a waste of time, as it's TOO busy....

what about shout?

doesn't shout cover the whole zone? if that is the case, then why do we need a nouther channel? personally i use shout if there is something i want people to know that is just a general kind of thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast