The day on Omni-1 was… I am not sure what it was. I think it was sunny… I could not really tell. Flashing lights and grey monoliths of corporate strength dominated everything, and the last thing I needed was attention called to myself. At least, any more attention than I was already attracting. My day altered between sneaking through the back alleys trying to avoid detection and interrogation, and standing in market places and city gates openly debating worker’s rights and environmental issues with Omni employees, while trying to ignore the slurs and threats slung by more close-minded pedestrians.

My trip, begun earlier this week, had one ultimate goal; to learn as much as possible about what Omni employees feel about the Clans, our issues, how to resolve them, and the rogue Omni forces. I wouldn’t be opposed to some simple cultural absorption, either, but socializing is somewhat lower on my list of priorities. What I’ve learned has instilled new hope that our issues can be heard, recognized, and possibly even acted upon, as long as a friendly and intelligent dialogue is kept open with Omni-Tek, and we do not settle so easily and ignore our own demands, the roots of why we oppose Omni.

The highlight – to my surprise, rather than being the discussions in the open – was the trial. While having lunch (Omni employees are fed for free, but they do sell food, thankfully. I suppose the price was artificially high, but being able to eat after such a long day was relief enough) in the Trade district, I’d overheard news of the trial of Aberic and Truwind, two members of a rogue Omni division who had attempted to assassinate Mr. Radiman. I have no love for the Council of Truth, or for Omni, but nonetheless, I took interest in the case. It is an extremely interesting issue; Omni-Tek prosecuting their own (albeit, rogue) employees for the attempted assassination of the leader of Omni-Tek’s enemy, an assassination which failed because Omni-Tek prevented it. The twisted proceedings would surely be of interest, and it would be a great boon to my education to sit through a proceeding like this.

As the appointed time arrived, I made my way slowly and carefully to the Omni-HQ bridge. I suppose that I was being over-cautious in my approach, but this was a matter rife with tension. This could be the verge of a second rebellion against Omni, which would leave them in the middle! It would be an adjustment, to not view Omni as the ultimate evil on Rubi-Ka anymore.

Ignoring the guards offering me amnesty and a surely lofty and lush position with Omni-Tek, I made my way across the bridge. It was, surprisingly, empty… I suppose I was a little late, though I had meant to leave early. Stepping off the bridge, I had only a moment to gaze in wonder at the complicated structure that was Omni-HQ. Grand banners hung off sleek buildings, stairways and walkways twisted everywhere in multiple levels; it reminded me much of a grand, decorated Grid. Before I was able to take in the atmosphere, the notification that the suppression gas was almost non-existent caught my attention… to get to the trial alive would be a trick. The rest of it became a blur, pursuing chaos. Rushing through a complicated structure I knew nothing about, danger lurking at every corner, and guards calling out my name offering amnesty as I tried to sneak by! Emerging around the buttress of an upper-level building, standing in the Omni-Tek corporate flags waving in the windless sky, I came upon a courtyard. It was grand, small, yet somehow large in the cluttered city, a fountain on a pedestal in the center, grand Omni-Tek buildings rising symmetrically around it. The rest, I did not gather, because my eyes were fixed on the gathering around the fountain. Around 2 dozen Omni employees were gathered, speaking angrily about traitors… It was hard to avoid puking in fear long enough to turn around and run; I leaped off the building to a lower level, and flew down a flight of stairs in seconds. Pressing myself against a wall next to the courtyard, I began to try to remember my way out of this maze, which they surely knew better than I.

I slowly worked my way to the outer edge. I heard my name being yelled, echoing off the angular canyons. They couldn’t have been more than 30 meters away, though it seemed like both kilometers and millimeters at the same time. Guards continued to call out to me, I can’t help but feeling like they wanted the mob to find me. “You’d better run, Clanner!” “We’ll kill you for coming here!” Threats… all threats. I yelled back, “I am here to observe the trial! I come in peace!” I got no reply, but the footsteps and indistinct muttering could still be heard. Turning a corner, I stumbled upon two forms. Doing a quick check, one was Omni, the other Clan. Seconds later, another Omni citizen came to our cross roads… a pause. You could convince me it was hours or seconds, but the moment is stuck in my mind; so is the energy bolt that shot through the cold, crisp air. I do not know who shot, I do not to who was shot. It was all lost in the firefight that erupted. The thought of joining in didn’t even cross my mind. I began to get away, hearing more shots. Turning back, I saw a part of the mob erupting onto the scene; I broke into a flat out run. Lost. Not knowing where the exit was.

Through the maze we flew, shots hitting my armor. I thought to reach for the helmet in my bag, to turn and lay a few blows, but against what? To only make them hate the Clans more? I had said that I come in peace; to fight now would be disaster. Also, the thought in the back of my mind was the horrors of being arrested by Omni-Tek for coming to their headquarters and starting a fire fight! I had no clue who this mob was siding with; if they had been siding with the rogue factions, then fighting them could have improved relations with Omni… but it is not my battle. Mine is elsewhere.

I cut back through, to what I thought was inwards. They would probably try to cut off the exits, so my only hope was to reach them before enough of them did. To the courtyard. Across the courtyard, by the fountain. Pause. There, in the distance, the glow of a blue sign from behind a building… checking my compass quickly, ducking behind the fountain, it was directly east. It had to be an exit. Run. Without looking back, I dove for an alley between two buildings, hoping it would not be a dead end; but there seemed to be few dead ends in Omni-HQ; only crossroads and indecision. By instinct, I reached the glow, the exit, salvation, suppression gas. A crowd was there, as well; several people seemed to be walking into Omni-HQ. I ran through them, noting their surprised looks; likely, several people were chasing behind me. Reaching the bridge zone, I collapsed to the ground long enough to catch my breath; but soon realized that I should get as far away as possible. I ran, charging through the center of Omni-1 Trade, dodging around the statue, and entered the grid. Tir was a short distance away.

At this writing, I do not know the outcome of the trial. I can not say that the night was a waste; even though I was not able to see the trial, or take any pictures (cameras rarely become important when you are fleeing for your life from an angry mob), the lessons from that experience alone were enough to complete my education. I had spent the day talking with people who were sympathetic, or at least intelligent and willing to talk about it. I had spent the night dodging bullets and hearing threats. The split in Omni-Tek is indeed great; like the Clans, a good number are apathetic, willing to exist individually of the other side; there are groups seeking to resolve issues, and those seeking utter destruction. I can only hope that the positive side, those willing to talk and listen, are able to do so more often, freely, as I was able to do. Much bloodshed could be avoided. I have as little love for the Clan members who snipe Omnis at 2HO as I do for Omnis who assault Clan members at Meetmedere, and so do the Omnis. Their greatest challenge now is not the Clans, but successfully resolving our issues, and containing their own divisions. Omni is fracturing, you see. Mr. Ross can not control his divisions with effectiveness, just as he can not control the Clans. He does not have the authority to act as a dictator; I trust that his motives are true, that he is not betraying us, now.

Omni is willing to listen, possibly willing to change. We must get our issues into the public domain; we must work within Omni itself, to have them be considered. The Clans left Omni for a reason, and we will return when that reason no longer exists. I was asked to join and work with Omni from inside to make this come about. I considered it. But I can not. I can not go back to Omni without seeing action done – not promised, not just discussed – but really done. But then, yes, it is possible to reunify most of us, and face our mutual enemies; those who seek death, destruction, and carry only hatred in their minds and hearts.

--
Razishlyat