Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Professionals

=P

Ok to be honest .. i consider half of the 'professionals' either 'n00bs' or 'Idiots', i have some faith in the other half, however, i doubt you'll get ANYTHING done, not because i think you don't know what you're doing but rather that FC doesn't give a **** about what you say either =)

Imo thats one big PR chess move, without any real changes coming from it, they didn't listen so far .. why should they start now?

As for the 'election' of the various ppl .. don't give a damn really .. 90% of the post on the boards are crap anyway.

- Needlz, always trying to think positive =P

Wow, Needlz. That was one of the most negative things I've ever read.

i consider half of the 'professionals' either 'n00bs' or 'Idiots'
    Which displays plenty of inside information about the value of your opinion.

Imo thats one big PR chess move, without any real changes coming from it, they didn't listen so far .. why should they start now?
    Oh god I know. I mean, there have been NO PATCHES WHATSOEVER IN THIS GAME, it's just as buggy as when it first came out, the ARK's NEVER EVER reply to petitions, the GM's don't even LOG ON, and Cosmik has never ONCE posted anything in the forums.

You were saying something about n00bs and Idiots....

As for the 'election' of the various ppl .. don't give a damn really .. 90% of the post on the boards are crap anyway.
    THAT's your opinion, and you're complaining that Funcom doesn't listen? Man, if only they thought like you, they'd have thrown a little hissy fit and trash canned the whole project a week after release.

Go play your console games.
    --The connections that enable us to learn are infinitely more important than our state of knowing.

Well actually .. its not negative, its just HONEST, i don't need to hide my opinion like 99% of the ppl out there.

Patches .. yaaaay, or you mean .. the patch of the patch of the patch of the patch that fixed the patch patch patch's problem thats been there since beta.

Heh, i can say that openly .. no ARK ever helped me with anything i petitioned about, and they can't in 90% of the cases. If you want something fixed you need a GM, and those don't feel too happy about helping either =P.

With as many bugs as that game started with, it would have been better if they canned the project =P

-Needlz, beating the crap out of fanboys since the 6th of July 2001

Oh and i don't own a console =P

Originally posted by Needlz
    =P

Ok to be honest .. i consider half of the 'professionals' either 'n00bs' or 'Idiots', i have some faith in the other half, however, i doubt you'll get ANYTHING done, not because i think you don't know what you're doing but rather that FC doesn't give a **** about what you say either =)

- Needlz, always trying to think positive =P
    Why do you bash people that at least TRY to help the community? I really think this is a very misplaced remark. Seeoing your postcount you never bothered to help people, so we should not as well? I'm sorry but a lot doctors value Des and my advice, and a lot still thank me for it and huggle me when I walk by in Newland. I know nearly all Proffesionals from the boards and they gave constructive and valueable thoughts and advice about the game and their proffesion.

Also most of us played as long or longer as you, I can't say that of you, someone who didn't play for a long time now. If you want to bash this move don't bash your fellow players who try to help others. IF we would be "noob" and "idiot" then its the same as telling your kid "OMG that's no drawing of a horse that's a monster!". No, you would praise the lovely kid.

I hope you wrote that message in a drunken/stoned whatever mood because I thought far more highly of you.

Vhir / 215 Doctor
    Nynke / 205 Agent
    Letah / 200 Doctor
    Firerose / 200 Soldier

Yeah I'm back, no need to ask your ebay-check questions

Lol .. no i wasn't intoxicated when i wrote this.

And i'd suggest you READ it over again, i said 50% .. AND i said its not because of the individuals that try to help this won't get anywhere but cos of FC. Sides just because i don't post on the stupid boards doesn't mean i don't help people =P

I have very high opinions of some of the 'professionals' eg. Destria and Noer. And they know it.

-Needlz, you may have read it .. but you don't seem to have understood it.

I'm not sure how many of the people posting negative responses on this thread have ever been in a position where they require feedback on their performance from a large number of users. I have been.

It is not easy, when you have thousands of people telling you what to do, submitting a broad band of responses, to cull out the wheat from the chaff. In fact, it isn't generally even possible to consider thousands of opinions in a productive and constructive manner.

Why distilling into cogent points should be a bad thing is beyond me, frankly.

As for the distillers themselves, which seems to be the big problem here, well, I don't know all these people. There are some here that I disagree with all the time. But one thing I do know about the ones whose posts I've read is that they all care deeply about their professions. Maybe it's just me, but, well, I thought that was the part of the point.

Yes, there are hundreds (at least) of people who care about their profession(s). We see that from the boards. The point here is to simply corral the input those hundreds of people have into a product that can be utilitzed.

Me, I'm an average (at best) player. I think I'm like the vast majority in the game. I don't care about personal grievances (no matter how justified) between people I've never met and that have nothing to do with my actual game play.

There are two things that can happen with this program - it can succeed or it can fail. If it does fail, nobody will be any worse off than they are today. If it succeeds, we all stand a chance for things to be improved.

I guess I just don't see what's wrong with that. Seems as if it's not a very high risk, but does have the potential for positive rewards.

Thumbs up

There are two things that can happen with this program - it can succeed or it can fail. If it does fail, nobody will be any worse off than they are today. If it succeeds, we all stand a chance for things to be improved.
    Hear here!

It gets to me when so many people complain about a good thing. It's disgusting, really, how many people complain about all the bad things in this game, completely ignore the good parts, and then when steps are taken to improve the worse ends, they complain even more!! It's pathetic.
    --The connections that enable us to learn are infinitely more important than our state of knowing.

The only gripe I have is why call them professionals? No offence but.........heh.

The rest is fine, I am happy with 1 of our reps.

Hiya Cloudeh,

I reckon they called us that because our role is to represent our Profession...

Still, the title is MP Professional and not Professional MP.

X
    Xtremtech: MetaPhysicist currently resident on Test. (209 + 21 AI Levels).

Various other test MPs of differing levels and builds available.

Great move! I'm hoping for the best from all of you!

I hope you can do the following as team leads:

1. Put BALANCE ahead of your class. Yes you should go to bat for your class, but you should also realize when you class is way ahead of the game. Balance is the most important thing.

2. Remember that both PvP and PvM exist. Don't analyze from just a single position.

3. Missions and Hunting both exist in PvM. Don't analyze from just a single position.

4. Provide constant "formal" reports to your constituents in the profession forums. Once a week would be awesome!

5. You represent both high and low level players. The conditions and experiences at different levels are really really different. Don't forget what it's like to be a strugling Level 20 <YOUR CLASS HERE>, and that it's way different from Level 200.

6. BALANCE BALANCE BALANCE. Please!

BEST OF LUCK!

Mayhew

Sorry to interrupt the bickering and whining but I just wanted to say Grats To Drabin, I'm not even a NT and he's helped me out more times than I can count.

Grats Drabin

-Myrthe

I think this is a very bad idea that will end up hurting Funcom in the long run. Everyones ideas on these boards should count, not just the ones that post the most. Not to forget as well, that not everyone has good ideas for their prof all the time. So it's better to listen to everyone for the good ideas that do come up, or what they have to say in defence or against the choices Funcom makes. Some may like them, some may hate them all. I don't think any 2 people should decide this for the rest of us.

Favoritism is never a good thing when everyone is paying the same amount of money to play this game. I played AO since beta now and never had to much of a problem with the game (amazing huh?) when everyone else was complaining. This though, just plain pisses me off. I didn't plan on leaving when a new MMORPG comes out, but I do now.

I guess it's just all hitting me at once, kinda getting tired of the bs

Originally posted by Vydas

It is not easy, when you have thousands of people telling you what to do, submitting a broad band of responses, to cull out the wheat from the chaff. In fact, it isn't generally even possible to consider thousands of opinions in a productive and constructive manner.
    It's simple for them to know what ideas are good or what changes need to be made, based on how many people post in a thread and agree. Even offical polls can help, which sure beats going by what 2 people say.

First off, it fails by not allowing everyone to have a say in their prof.

Also the cost of failure is a prof messed up for the rest of us. And there will always be people that don't agree with the ideas of those 2 people, they pay their $ too, and should have just as much say in their prof and how it turns out.

Mor, our role is as more 'Messengers' than it is 'Consultants'. It is as much our responsibility to voice your opinions as it is to give ours.
    Dest

Good move by Funcom :)

/me ignores all the criticism and negativity here and passes wholehearted congratz to Nettie, Argulace and the other Professionals

Good luck to you all, I'm sure you'll contribute to better communication and cooperation between us and Funcom.
    Bret 'Bothead' Bannister
    Member of Rising Phoenix

Hugs to all the proffessionals, especially Arg, and Nettie. Thankyou for offering your support to the players of the game like this

And to all the people complaining, these people have agreed to give up there free time, to try and help make this game better for everyone. Some of them already do by hosting web pages or other things. Before you start complaining, think, would you be wiling to give up your spare time for no gain but a fancy title in the forums?

hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

Originally posted by Erinsuin
    Well there goes the neibgherhood . It amazes me sometimes the stupidity on Funcoms part in selecting people . 2 omnis ? why not a neutral or a clanner ? playing favortisim i see . well thats it , its the straw that broke the camels back . As of now i am canceling my account .

So long and Thankz for all the fish
    Uh..
    If these "omnis" desides to gimp the "clanners" they will get gimped them self.
    I dont see the problem in having 2 omni ppl there.. wouldnt mind having 2 clan ppl there either.

I see it as just not practical to have anyone pour through that much information and input. Something valid *will* be overlooked, at least in my experience.
    I know almost all the problems with all the profs just by reading these boards (you hear them 1000 times). Notice though that each time the way people want them solved is different? But the overall point is that everyones voice should count since everyone don't always see things in the same light. If everyones voice counts, they at least have a say in how their prof turns out.

Maybe you have a better, but still practical idea. A free for all doesn't really qualify, though, at least I don't think so. Because a free for all is highly unlikely to yield anything of lasting value. But an organized, sincere attempt at self prioritization is just the opposite - it is far more likely to offer rich and constructive suggestions.
    Perhaps you don't understand what I'm saying. Say Cosmik puts a top 10 sticky thread for what players want their prof to have, all the players that want a say in it, posts their top 10 things in the thread. Cosmik can then send it to the dev team to choose what they think is good. This beats having 2 people who pay the same money we do, decide are prof for us.

Just to throw in my couple of credits on this....

I used to play a text based MMORPG (no, that doesn't make it a MUD anymore than AO having graphics and guns makes it a FPS)and they had something similar to The Professionals. It was a single person from each class (they also had a group that championed the cause for each race).

It worked great, instead of dev's trying to sift through 1000's of messages, the representative would take all the info from others of their class and condense it into one document that could then be passed to the dev's who could go thorugh it much quicker and easier. Then the dev's could respond through the representative to the community. The amount of info available to both sides increased tenfold.

Yes, I was one of the representatives I mentioned. It was a ton of work but well worth the effort.

Oh yeah, and why does it really matter if the Professional's are Omni/Clan/Neutral...any change that affects the class affects all those of the class....

oh well, enough of my brainless banter,
    Myrthe

Well I don't really know any of the Professionals so I'm neither pleased nor displeased at them being chosen.

As to factions ...well that is rather silly to complain that there are more of one side than another. The stated purpose of the group is to communicate ideas and concerns about the profession not the faction.

I'll just take a wait and see attitude. As a previous poster stated, if they fail we won't be any worse off than we are now.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast