Thread: PVP opt-out is bad because...

PVP opt-out is bad because...

The cynical answer proposed by many, but certainly not all, carebears is that with a pvp opt-out mechanism PK players will have fewer innocent [e.g. carebear] victims. And since PK players are all gankers who live to prey on the innocent they don't like the idea of an opt-out.

I'm a carebear but I don't subscribe to this argument myself.

A different argument that I'v seen brought by Yazule and others is that an opt-out switch will will change the demographics of the game in a way that will destroy PVP as an important facet of the game. Could those of you who have thought about this elaborate on how the game would change with some form of optout and how different forms [separate servers, character switches, nano's et cetera] would affect gameplay for PVP oriented players. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Re: PVP opt-out is bad because...

PvP opt-out as a player flag is bad, but not because of either of those reasons. Its bad because of gameplay difficulties with the implementation.

The majority of players are of the carebear variety. If everyone in a PvP zone isn't PvPable then that means you have to tab a lot to find someone to shoot at. All those extra targets that you can't attack clutter the playfield making it difficult for you to find the ones you can. Its bad enough trying to find people you can attack with the level restrictions. It'd be much much worse with a PvP opt out flag. The level restrictions are a necessary evil to keep PvP from being a newbie kill fest where only the high level can apply, but an opt-out flag is unnecessary since we already have opt-out gas levels. Its pretty simple for someone that doesn't want to PvP to just stay out of 25% zones. If you have to check 100 people before you find one you can attack, you soon lose interest and PvP ceases to exist.

PvP and non-PvP players interfere with one another. You end up with unattackable non-PvP healers healing, buffing, and spotting targets for the PvP players if they can coexist in the same place. The only way to eliminate this is to make it so that non-PvP players can't see, group, or cast on PvP players. This makes for very odd game play. Like for instance you may see a monster fighting no-one. That same no-one might train guards on you when you are not ready because you can't see him doing it and be aware of the danger until too late. If the PvP flag was toggle-able it would almost be like some sort of stealth tool in PvP. Turn it off, walk up behind where you know your enemy is, turn it on so you can see him and attack. Or worse, you are in PvP and fighting and you toggle it off and your opponent cant see you any more to finish you off. This would just open a pandoras box of lame stuff. It would also mean a lot of programming to implement all of it and they haven't even had time to my bag work right in the first 4 months. Do they have time for more programming? Not that I can see.

what sux is missions to 25% zones
    the only reason to go to a 25% zone for me would be to roleplay the storyline
    other than that im not into PVP
    at lvl 75 my doc went into a 25% zone and got killed in 2 hits
    and this was after they nerfed everyones damage
    MP lvl 139 Mysticknight

Re: Re: PVP opt-out is bad because...

Originally posted by Nianna
    PvP opt-out as a player flag is bad, but not because of either of those reasons. Its bad because of gameplay difficulties with the implementation.
    Ah. Thanks for the reply

Originally posted by WillForce
    what sux is missions to 25% zones
    the only reason to go to a 25% zone for me would be to roleplay the storyline
    other than that im not into PVP
    at lvl 75 my doc went into a 25% zone and got killed in 2 hits
    and this was after they nerfed everyones damage

must have been three hits, 40% cap and all
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL