Thread: Something to think about... (Honestly)

Something to think about... (Honestly)

I am interested in how everyone feels about the Survival of the Fittest policy funcom applies in regards to looting rights of rare monsters and such. According to them it is perfectly fine for a person to walk up to another person's camp ( I do not know how everyone feels about that word since you haven't had to deal with rare monsters that drop special items until recently, and nothing to the extent of other games like Everquest, where it is a perfectly accepted word and practice ) that they have been at for countless hours and try to kill this monster as well, regardless of who was there first or how many times they have killed it previously as long as they don't declare it maliciously. For one thing, isn't it malicously enough just the fact that the person is trying to steal what you have worked many hours and searched long and hard for? What would happen if a group of people walk into a department store and started loading up their trucks outside full of the store's merchandise? Would the police ignore it and say "Well I'm sorry, they didn't say anything, what would you like us to do"? I am making this post because earlier I was camping the monster named Tri Plumbo in the Foreman's Dungeon in The Longest Road. When I arrived there no one was in his lair and he was spawned and I killed him, he didn't drop the item I was looking for and I wanted to try him a few more times before I went to sleep, I waited for him to spawn again and killed him, still didn't have the item, I was waiting for a third time when a level 153 soldier named Grosblerow logs in and declares he is going to outdamage me the next time Tri Plumbo spawns. At first I was pretty shocked that someone would just walk up and say that, I have played Everquest since its release and I have over 350 days played with my characters in that game alone not to mention others like Dark Age of Camelot and I have not once had someone walk up and blatantly declare they are going to steal my camp, pretty audacious. After the shock wore off I petitioned this and an ARK responded ( I have to say I am extremely impressed with CSR response time, I have petitioned 5 times since returning a few weeks ago and each has been answered in under 5 minutes, some as soon as I finish typing it ) momentarily. And it is indeed perfectly fine for someone to try steal that type of thing from another player as long as they don't maliciously declare it (though that soldier certainly seemed to ). Whoever does the most damage owns the loot, nothing else matters. Later on a martial artist in his organization Dans Ton Cul named Typhiene shows up to ensure he gets the kill from me, which he does of course, despite a good friend of mine coming out to try and help me (Thank you Syllke). Everquest and other MMORPGs have "Play nice Policies" that prevent things like this from occurring. If enough players feel strongly about such things then Funcom will enstate a similar set of rules here.

Now listen, I am not whining about what happened, I really don't care that a few people stole that unique monster from me. It is the first time that has happened to me as I said, and I doubt it will happen very often, I know most of the players would never even think of doing something like that, like me if they something is camped they walk on by. All the *******s in the game will not be able to stop me from eventually getting what I want. It may never happen again, my point is, in my opinion it should not happen at all. I would like to know what everyone else thinks about issues like this, and if enough people care for Funcom to enact a "Play nice Policy". If this is how everyone feels it should be, far be it from me to argue. So, lets have it.
    --------------------
    Proteas
    Aaliel
    Protias
    -------------------
    Winners never quit, and quitters never win.

Re: Something to think about... (Honestly)

I am interested in how everyone feels about the Survival of the Fittest policy funcom applies in regards to looting rights of rare monsters and such.
    According to them it is perfectly fine for a person to walk up to another person's camp spot where they have been for countless hours and try to kill this monster as well, regardless of who was there first or how many times they have killed it previously as long as they don't declare it maliciously.
    For one thing, isn't it malicously enough just the fact that the person is trying to steal what you have worked many hours and searched long and hard for? What would happen if a group of people walk into a department store and started loading up their trucks outside full of the store's merchandise? Would the police ignore it and say "Well I'm sorry, they didn't say anything, what would you like us to do"?

I am making this post because earlier I was camping the monster named Tri Plumbo in the Foreman's Dungeon in The Longest Road. When I arrived there no one was in his lair and he was spawned and I killed him, he didn't drop the item I was looking for and I wanted to try him a few more times before I went to sleep.
    I waited for him to spawn again and killed him, still didn't have the item, I was waiting for a third time when a level 153 soldier named Grosblerow logs in and declares he is going to outdamage me the next time Tri Plumbo spawns.
    At first I was pretty shocked that someone would just walk up and say that, I have played Everquest since its release and I have not once had someone walk up and blatantly declare they are going to steal my camp, pretty audacious. After the shock wore off I petitioned this and an ARK responded momentarily, and it is indeed perfectly fine for someone to try steal that type of thing from another player as long as they don't maliciously declare it (though that soldier certainly seemed to ).
    Whoever does the most damage owns the loot, nothing else matters. Later on a martial artist in his organization Dans Ton Cul named Typhiene shows up to ensure he gets the kill from me, which he does of course, despite a good friend of mine coming out to try and help me (Thank you Syllke).

Everquest and other MMORPGs have "Play nice Policies" that prevent things like this from occurring. If enough players feel strongly about such things then Funcom will enstate a similar set of rules here.

Now listen, I am not whining about what happened, I really don't care that a few people stole that unique monster from me. It is the first time that has happened to me as I said, and I doubt it will happen very often, I know most of the players would never even think of doing something like that, like me if they see something is camped they walk on by.
    All the *******s in the game will not be able to stop me from eventually getting what I want. It may never happen again, my point is, in my opinion it should not happen at all. I would like to know what everyone else thinks about issues like this, and if enough people care for Funcom to enact a "Play nice Policy". If this is how everyone feels it should be, far be it from me to argue. So, lets have it.

edited to make it readable.
    My lungs arent blackened by tar, they're blackened by SIN!

Thank you, that was an awful mess wasn't it?
    --------------------
    Proteas
    Aaliel
    Protias
    -------------------

well it looked interesting, but i cant read the unformatted version, so i thought that if i made it more readable, you could get some comments

my opinion on this is that FC cannot enforce a play nice policy, thats a community thing. if you get a rep for being a dick and spawn thieving, then your punishment comes from players not wanting to group with you etc.
    My lungs arent blackened by tar, they're blackened by SIN!

So what you mean is that if I park a character where a unique mob spawns noone else should be allowed to kill it unless I leave?

Are you stupid or you think that sounds right?

/me park one character at Tarasque, one at Van Horn, one at Nugget and one at Lab director

"Ok guys, these are mine now until I got all I want, else I will petition!"
    Azzazzimon

Clan Apocalypse - The guild for models

Account closed.

FunCom could enforce the policy by introducing a game mechanic where that enforcer could not have entered the same room as the one you were waiting for TriPlumbo to spawn in. Simple as that.

If TriPlumbo were in a seperate room that you zoned into (like zoning into a Basic Shop) and only your teammates got into the same room as you, both you and that Enforcer could have enjoyed your playtime.

Well, the Enforcer would not have had the sick fun of ruining your day.

The same goes for almost every other unique MOB in the game with the exception of the Tarasque which has been designed from the start to be a competition. It's just sad that the Tarasque has to have such things as the Gaily Painted Hood and the wet dream items for Adventurers.

A soft policy is just asking for trouble. The game needs to be changed to prevent these situations from occuring.

Well they certainly could enforce one, but the question is if they should which is what I think you meant, and the reason I made this post and why I want people to respond to it, hopefully a whole lot of people. If they leave it up to the players though then I think all zones should be PvP zones except inside cities, honestly I do. That would definitely allow some people to be greater asses than they already are, but those asses will also have it thrown back at them 10x worse.
    --------------------
    Proteas
    Aaliel
    Protias
    -------------------

Azzazzimon, apparently you have no clue what I meant, but that is okay, i will elaborate, that is what the post is for, flame if you want but atleast bring something legitimate to the table.

First of all Tarasque and monsters like him can't be included in a simple "Play nice Policy" since one person cannot kill them. The rule in everquest was whichever guild has enough people there to kill him, and attacks first it belongs to them. If they die then someone else is free to move up and engage. Anarchy however is a bit different in the Tarasque situation because it is a pvp zone, and like Bionitrous said, Tarasque was intended to be a bloody competition, why the hell do you think its in a political zone?

What my original post was about is for single non extroardinary monsters, that can be killed by a person or maybe a small group. and Yes I do think that if you park whoever at Van Horn or whatever named spawn and that character is capable of killing him by himself when he spawns, you are entitled to it, that is how it works in everquest, and it worked a lot better than what goes on here, atleast in my opinion. If you want to sit there for 18 hours then you damn well deserve that item.
    --------------------
    Proteas
    Aaliel
    Protias
    -------------------

Originally posted by Aaliel
    Azzazzimon, apparently you have no clue what I meant, but that is okay, i will elaborate, that is what the post is for, flame if you want but atleast bring something legitimate to the table.

First of all Tarasque and monsters like him can't be included in a simple "Play nice Policy" since one person cannot kill them. The rule in everquest was whichever guild has enough people there to kill him, and attacks first it belongs to them. If they die then someone else is free to move up and engage. Anarchy however is a bit different in the Tarasque situation because it is a pvp zone, and like Bionitrous said, Tarasque was intended to be a bloody competition, why the hell do you think its in a political zone?

What my original post was about is for single non extroardinary monsters, that can be killed by a person or maybe a small group. and Yes I do think that if you park whoever at Van Horn or whatever named spawn and that character is capable of killing him by himself when he spawns, you are entitled to it, that is how it works in everquest, and it worked a lot better than what goes on here, atleast in my opinion. If you want to sit there for 18 hours then you damn well deserve that item.
    So you want only big guild to get all loot?

Storm could without any problem have people sitting there 18 hours, the player would be afk ofcourse.

So what you really want is more camping from the big guilds so the "normal" people have absolutly no chance to get any loot, cuz that is what gonna happend.
    Azzazzimon

Account closed.

I certainly disagree with setting up any sort of queue or line for spawns. The staff already has enough to deal with in terms of bugs and problems with the game, I wouldn't dare want anything to detract from their attention to fixing problems, especially something as childish as enforcing a queue for a spawn.

There should never have to be a wait OR a line. If you fight your way through the Foreman's Dungeon, when you go through the door to his office, he should be there. End of story.

Thumbs up Agreed.....

I totaly agree with your frustration about having big mobs camped.... I urge you all to take a look at this thread to STOP camping.... http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...0&pagenumber=1 ...... Lets keep that thread alive!!!
    --- Chubula - NT - Atlantean

actualy loot que lines, work VERY well for everquest, but azzimon your wrong about how storm would be able to hog itall.

anyways reason why they work in everquest, is 95% of the "rare" mobs, are either on a rotation timer, or a 2 hour timer.

ie:rare mob has a set spawn, 80% of the time its a normal mob that spawns there, but 20% of the time its the "rare" one. and the respawn timers are usualy set for 20-30 minutes depending on place.

or the rare mob in some cases(the rare spawn, random timer is used most the time) is set for a 1-2 hour spawn time, its the VERY rare one, that has an 8 hour + spawn. and all mobs that have 8+ hours, are "guild" mobs, that require 2+ groups to do.

and to cover everquest play nice polices, they are NOT "first in line there, gets it 100% of the time). their a policy that people HAVE to play nice with each other, as in come into an agreement how to handle the spawn.

so player 1 is at spawn. player 2 comes. they MUST work out an agreement, which can simply be, player 1 will get it for 3 more spawns, then player 2 can get it. if a guide/gm is called it, because of ksing , the player that ksed gets warned, however the guide/gm will then enforce a plan that in "their" view, is fair, which most of the time is player 1 gets it for 1 more hour, then player 2 can get it.

(oh yeah play nice policise does NOT cover raid mobs that require 2+ groups to do, the only "official" policy there is, the first group with a "capable" force of taking down the mob=theirs, and theirs to decide on the loot)

however realistaly this system won't work in ao cause almost all the mobs cept trilombo have 18 hour spawns. so it will be hard, much less impossible to make an agreements of sorts.
    Desporae can loot these remains...(loot type:leader)
    /shout wtf tarque only had a wing
    /g storm wtf a nother adven ring
    /shout wtf a dumb skull
    =========================
    Desporae Head Loot Jynxer of Storm

Jeez, I'll never do these rare mobs. Just not worth the anguish and headache for that little chance of a rare loot drop.

There will always be a**holes. And if you don't come across any, I'll be happy to rip you one.

j/k

We need unique dungeon spawns. To deal with the my team/friend can't reach me issue, when you enter the dungeon a key is generated.

actualy loot que lines, work VERY well for everquest, but azzimon your wrong about how storm would be able to hog itall.
    What part am I wrong in?

Apoc could easly have 1 character sit at every spawn we would like, so why shouldn't Storm be able to do it?

I used Storm cuz you are the biggest guild and known for being very good at "camping" uniques (with camping I mostly mean keep the spawn times on many uniques so you know when to get there, didn't mean anything bad)
    Azzazzimon

Account closed.

Azzazzimon, maybe you missed the last post, it doesn't matter if you are sitting there afk, I said a person or group of people able to kill it, which means of course you can't be afk. And I'm not really talking about things like Tarasque as I said, they are more complicated.

I haven't seen any of this uber guild camping you are talking about on regular rare monsters, in the times that I go check on rares like Tri Plumbo and such, it isn't people in uber guilds camping them 80% of the time, most of the time they don't even have a guild.

Also did I pee on your cornflakes recently? I'm wanting to get people's opinions and you seem awfully hostile. No need to get upset over this. I'm not talking about *uber guilds* getting more spawns they aren't the ones I see camping the normal stuff I'm talking about anyway.

Guilds in Everquest were encouraged to work out rotations on the the Dragon type mobs and special zones and if they couldn't and it got to the point where guilds are all attacking a monster at the same time trying to KS each other (which it did get that far on Rodcet Nife, the server I played on )then a GM would step in and a rotation would be forced upon them.

Disporea, you are right about the "Play nice Policy" being that players were suppose to come to an agreement on how to handle the spawn, it was common courtesy though that a player would not bother another player who was camping a spawn.

However you aren't about the spawns in everquest, the reason it worked so well is because there were so many of them a person could just go look for another one that they needed, not because of their timers or place holders, countless monsters have spawn times in days and some are completely random, you might not see them for two weeks, I've camped things like the Ancient Cyclops for 36 hours straight to get him to finally appear. Most of the really good items are from quests with insanely rare components, dragon class monsters, that spawn every 7 days or some not until the servers are reset that require 40-80 people to kill, and insanely rare monsters that spawned in the middle of bumble**** egypt and wandered all over. Not from the static spawns in dungeons that pop up every 20-50 minutes. Everyone could and did get the static stuff in the dungeons.

I realize this game is not Everquest and it is better and also worse in many ways. The mindset of people in this game is completely different I'm realizing as well. I made this post as I said atleast twice before, to try and understand it. For me I would never think of disrupting someone sitting at a monster's spawn point except to politely ask them if they would inform me when they leave.
    Last edited by Proteas; Jun 14th, 2002 at 22:42:30.
    --------------------
    Proteas
    Aaliel
    Protias
    -------------------

One n00b question (or you can look at it as an excuse for bumping )

What one does when on a solo mission you open a chest and find a nodrop item specific for another class? Sit down and cry?
    postcount++