Thread: In pursuit of Dr. Forests whereabouts

In pursuit of Dr. Forests whereabouts

"Fate is taking funny turns, that's for sure" Pax pondered while she gone down a vertical ventilation shaft. Back pressed against one side, both arms reached out left and right for support while her feet were doing swift steps on the opposite side, slowly decending the seemingly bottomless pit, down to the core of the ICC headquarters in Andromeda.

Pax was in her element, snooping around in places where she doesn't belong able to take routes that are impossible for anyone else but the Opifex breed. For a second she imagined an Atrox stuck in here almost made her burst out in laughter.

40 minutes later she reached the hatch that blocked her way that lead directly to the lowest floor, secured only with an archaic padlock. Pax grinned at the lax security measures - she knew that only a few buildings on Rubi Ka got their maintenance and service shafts secured with droid patrols. Fortunately the ICC headquarters wasn't among it.

A quick glance at the time told her that she reached the end of the shaft too early. The faked fire alarm she fed into their security grid was set to go off in 10 minutes hopefully creating the diversion she needed to get in and out unnoticed. 10 minutes to ponder over the situation.

"Odd, one week ago I thought I was done for, on the verge of breaking apart. And all of a sudden I'm back on track running an errand for an old man who I thought disappeared and died somewhere in the depths of the Shadowlands long ago - Mr Mirabelli, also known as Simehiri." Her face went stern as she remembered the encounter she had with him while back then in the bar in Mort. But nevertheless he offered her a job, something that has become pretty scarce on Rubi Ka with the activation of the portals. Therefore she didn't have much of a choice but to put all the differences aside and accepted to meet with him at the Rome wompah that lead to Jobe to discuss the details.

It appeared Mr Mirabelli needed information about the whereabouts of a person called Doctor Tommy Forest, who got captured and taken into custody by ICC forces. Pax's hairs on the back of her neck stood on end as he offered her 5 million credits if she manages to retrieve that vital information of his current location within 3 days. "Where's the hook?" the question spun around her head during the whole conversation yet she pretended she don't care a jot about it. Of course Pax accepted to do it. Not only because of the credits but also for the thrills.
    Servatis a periculum - servatis a maleficum

And the world spins by with everybody moaning, p***ing, b****ing and everyone is sh***ing
    On their friends, On their love, On their oaths, On their honor, On their graves,
    Out their mouths and their words say nothing

As soon as the preliminary credit transfer was completed Pax rushed off to purchase information of the location from various connections she had throughout Rubi Ka.

In Borealis however her chase for information came to a halt as she spotted another familiar face she haven't seen for ages, Miss Katelin "Falikos" Phare. How much Pax missed her sometimes snappy remarks as they rarely agree over whatever they talked about, both aggravated but also invigorated her at the same time. But their conversation didn't get any deeper than common chitchat because of the two heavily armored ICC officers that drew all attention over to them.

Of what she made out was that they asked for volunteers for a reconnaissance sweep in Andromeda looking for Dr. Forests staff that were seemingly still at large. In any other situation she would've ignored the call but this time it was different. She was dying to find out more about that doctor so she tagged along with Falikos, Raijou, Xephius, Elspara and a few others. The sweep didn't gain her new insights but only more questions. Who were the 3 mutilated bodies they found near a farm, why did Dr. Forests' staff have Bodyguards, well trained shades to be more precise.

"Why's Simehiri offering me such an amount of creds for a simple info - just find out where he's imprisoned? What's so special about that guy?" Pax pondered if she should hold the information back for ransom, once she retrieved the data. A grin formed on her face.

Suddenly alarm sirens echoed through the ventilation shaft, just below the hatch all personnel rushed for the nearest emergency exits caused quite a commotion. It was time for her to stop dreaming and get moving. The padlock was picked within seconds, yet she waited a few more moments before she was confident no one was left on the floor below. She slowly pulled up the hatch.

The corridor was bathed in red, flickering emergency light. Small built-in lights on the floor that emanated faint white light showed the way to the exits. "Thanks, but I'm not leaving before I got the information I need" Pax mumbled and sped down the corridor, past large rooms with numerous desks, all abandoned. Until she stopped in front of a huge glass door. She couldn't look into the room as it was all foggy inside, filled with halon gas.

"Just what I expected. But I prefer dealing with gas than with hulking-brute guards" she put on a gas mask and worked her way through the locking mechanism with her hacking device. The door slid open and she slowly proceeded through the thick fog to the mainframe computer.

And the world spins by with everybody moaning, p***ing, b****ing and everyone is sh***ing
    On their friends, On their love, On their oaths, On their honor, On their graves,

Luckily somebody must've used the terminal at the time the alarm gone off. It was still in a logged on state saved Pax alot of time not having to hack her way in. Intuitively Pax browsed for a list of people currently in the ICC headquarters custody. Dr. Forest wasn't among them.

"Damn, but one of the ICC officers back then in Borealis mentioned he has been captured and kept in this building. Where the frack is he?" Pax hammered away on the keyboard, looking for clues why he's not listed. On a hunch she went through the security logs and it appeared there has been an attack on this building a few hours ago.

Of what she made out there were three shades who forcefully breached the building, caused a trail of destruction and heavy losses to the security staff. Recorded camera feeds show they were on the direct route to the floor where the prison cells were located. Fortunately their advance came to a halt as security moved in from all sides - they disappeared.

"A rescue attempt? Those were mercenaries who knew exactly what they were after, seems like somebody within the ICC ranks received a sh*tload of credits for passing classified information over to the wrong hands. A mole." Pax pondered hard knowing that she was running out of time guessing where she could find evidence of the whereabouts of Dr Forest.

"If I were responsible for the security and know somebody of my staff is leaking information for credits, who'd I trust?" Moments passed where Pax just gazed at the screen. "Nobody. I'd stop passing the serious and important tasks over to my staff and would handle it myself, not saying a word to no one but to my superiors."

The thick fog within the room caused by the halon gas started to disappear as a ventillation mechanism kicked in. The faked fire alarm she set off earlier got muted. Now she really knew she was running out of time. Quickly she looked up who was the head of the internal security and done a query of his current whereabouts via the computers built-in trace program.

"Newland city prison? That's the place you're hiding him? ... clever." Pax thought Dr Forest got transported to a more remote location such as a spacestation in Rubi Ka's orbit. But then again, that'd have gotten along with way too much paperwork about clearances and such and therefore too risky. The distance between the ICC headquarters and the Newland City prison is not worth to mention as it was just a wompah away without causing alot of attention.

To make sure Pax was right with her assumption she hacked into his account and snooped through the voice memos he recorded. Security personnel got the nasty habit to document everything so they won't miss the slightest little detail for all the reports they had to write at the end of each day. Pax listened to his recording.

"... Time is 1100pm, relocating prisoner 003234 from HQ to NLC prison now. ETA 20 mins...<static> ... Get moving Dr Forest!" luckily for Pax he didn't stop the recording in time provided her with the proof she needed.

"Mr Mirabelli is definately going to like that piece of information" she escaped into the grid.