Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sound and Fury, Signifying Nothing

Sound and Fury, Signifying Nothing

Reporter Willian Mulryan

(FJRK) - "Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets upon the stage, and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." A great playwright from before the rise of the Omega wrote these words. And if the people of the northern lands can be believed, these same words could also apply to to the Council of Truth.

"I think the Clans have grown somewhat weaker.", says Warhart, a member of the Rubi-Ka Bounty Hunters. "I think it's the faunt of your everday Clan citizen. We've overcome Omni-Tek forces easily in the past, but recently that doesn't seem to hold true. The Clans need to learn how to unite once more."

"It is up to the Council of Truth to defend the honor of the Clans as a whole," adds Taeglen of The Syndicate. "But I haven't seen any real coordinated defense as of late. Personally, I think things have been slacking. The Council should have a more visible part in the politics of the people."

The sentiments of Warhart and Taeglen are echoed amongst much of the north's populace. The Council of Truth, though noble in theory, is simply not as effective a force as it could be. Despite the best efforts of the Clans, the Council is nothing more than, as the playwright said, a tale told by an idiot.

Not all Clanners though, are as pessimistic about the Council of Truth as these two. "The Clans are strong regardless of the backing of the Council," says Rapid of Alpha Omega. "But a unified front can make negotiations easier...makes the clans appear stronger."

Perhaps Rapid is right about the impact of the Council of Truth. Flawed though the organization may be, if it makes us look stronger, it is better than what we had before. The question, in such a case, is not whether the Council of Truth is a liability to the Clan struggle for freedom and independence. The question is what we need to do to make the strengths the Council offers more effective.

CoT is nothing more than attempt to unify clans (and give legit base) in order to negotiate freedom of Rubi-Ka. It's bureaucratic tool...what should they do? Make papercuts? It's every Claner duty to defend population. Many go slack on it. Another problem generates that ICC doesn't permit import of much needed new technology clan could use. On other hand Omni-tec can bring anything they desire planetside and futher more has founds to make that possible. Nice example of this is Mort incident where Omni-tek brought in houndreds of guards and 6 Juggernauts. Claners were still able to secure site after initial shock was over.
    "War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
    -The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

[Kintaii]: Dude, I *am* weird
    [Kintaii]: I came to accept this many years ago and am much happier for it. XD
    [Kintaii]: Besides - I work on *AO*. That right there is proof of my oddness.

You are impatient, young whippersnapper.

Nazly

Nazly, MA 169, Clan, Valor Eternal
    ~~ Lalaina, 118 MP
    ~~ Shoola, 72 Trader
    Atlantean

The Council of Truth is still in the process of creating a prototype nanocrystal that will spawn an entire army on demand.

Until then, I suggest the clanners in question stop whining and get their lazy behinds moving when they hear of an attack on clan installations.

The CoT is not the nanny to remind you of what to do. We're not wizard working miracles in our high tower.
    Corrine Daimoness Wright
    - Veteran of Apocalypse
    - General of the Mercury Dragons (ret.)
    - Member of the Grumpy Old Crat Bunch

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. - Samuel Adams

What most people don't realize is that the Council is not a government. There is little we can do except create some form of representation for the voice of the Clans. The Council is not about affiliation(imo), it is not about personal agenda, it is an alliance similar to the disbanded Endgame Alliance or the thriving Atlantean Pact. It is an alliance of Clanners working FOR Clanners. Forget the donation for public works projects, forget the fact that your clan WILL NOT "run" the Council no matter how powerful it is. Remember that this is a voice for ALL Clans... Your ideas may be voted against, your ideas may be voted for, but either way you're participating and voicing your opinion on a bureaucratic level in order to help guide future Clan actions.

What the Council needs to be more effective is YOU taking part in it.

The Best we can do military-wise (at the moment) is implore YOU the individual Clanner for support.

This is just my opinion, I don't speak on behalf of the Council.

Perhaps the clans want a government, not a discussion group. Plus, it makes it difficult for us in the south to justify talks between our government and a discussion group that publicly admits it’s not a government.

But then, having a government might be seen as a roadblock to freedom and independence.

Most likely, the hawks in the Council of Truth will point to this report as a justification for war, the Sentinels and the Unionists will gain more support, and the increasingly misnamed war will heat up. But, I’ve also been quite pessimistic recently.
    Marisha Durousseau, War Dominatrix of The Honored Maidens

Resources exist to be consumed. And consumed they will be, if not by this generation then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright?--CEO Nwabudike Morgan, "The Ethics of Greed"

Read Marisha's Journal, and see what she's doing

Miss Marisha,

maybe you can only understand things that resemble your own but then do not try to judge us by your standards. Unlike Omni-Tek where everything is decided on top and then trickles down more or less acurately, the clans are not a centralistic system. We are many clans, each with it's own leadership. Omni-Tek has Mr. Ross and above him other, even more elusive Directors. It's a strict hierarchy. Clans do not have that. The CoT is something that is growing into some form of leadership, even though it's not a formal one like the OT Board of Directors.

But if I look at how orders from the Board are carried out by the verious departments, I wonder if your form of leadership is just a form of self-deception.

And surprisingly enough, there is rarely ever any OT official that we could speak to either.

-D
    Corrine Daimoness Wright
    - Veteran of Apocalypse

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. - Samuel Adams

Originally posted by Daimoness
    But if I look at how orders from the Board are carried out by the verious departments, I wonder if your form of leadership is just a form of self-deception.
    Do you have specific examples, or do you just speak in generalities? I assure you that if you have specific examples, I’ll direct my subcommittees to look into your claims.

And surprisingly enough, there is rarely ever any OT official that we could speak to either.
    Again, it is sometimes difficult for us in the south to justify talks between our government and a discussion group that publicly admits it’s not a government. However, based on the number of requests individual members of the clans have made to meet with high-ranking Omni-Tek officials, it stands to reason that I should be permitted to meet with Speaker Silverstone to discuss my individual complaints.

As a representative to the Council of Truth aligned with the Sentinels, I’m sure you can make this happen, Representative Daimoness. May I suggest the Council of Truth building in Tir, as to make the meeting convenient for Speaker Silverstone?

Resources exist to be consumed. And consumed they will be, if not by this generation then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright?--CEO Nwabudike Morgan, "The Ethics of Greed"

Basicly the problem is this. The CoT as it is now, and was before, has not real power over the Clans. So basicly the CoT can negotiate a truce, or even peace, with OT. How ever, if any single Clan thinks "Leet droppings to that" and hit OT installations anyway the CoT can´t do squat about it, and most likely fifty different Clanns would line up to support the Clan that attacked OT because "OT is trying to opress us!! We´ll show them!"

The CoT needs to pull it´self together, build a real goverment, and hold it´s members accountable for their deeds. If you can do that, then OT would have no excuses letting it´s more violent members run rampant and get away with it. And finaly we might have something resembling peace.
    "On the frontlines, there is but one commandment...
    Thou Shalt Kill."

"As i stride knee deep through the dead, all is clear. I know what must be done...
    My cause is just...My will is strong...
    ...And my gun is very, very large!"
    The words of a true soldier.

well according to what i have seen/heard, CoT is not a military organisation...it has no armies, it doesn't command clans...altho the clans who have joined CoT might do something together, it has no control over clans who haven't joined...it's a volunteer organisation to make clan life better on this planet...and no, it can't tell clans to go and attack rome...because it is NOT a military organisation (repeated as some people tend not to believe it)

The problem with the clans is that we're divided - lots of different organizations each with different agendas and different motivations. The CoT might not be a governing body per se, but what it actually does is just as important - it takes the voices of all the different pieces of the clan and attempts to do something productive, rather than bickering over who is right and wrong, whose actions are better and whose are foolhardy.

It's the nature of the clans, breaking away from a controlling force like Omni-Tek, to not want to be controlled or have a limit to what they can do or say; a government would bring this, to an extent.

The Council might not be a governing body, but we do represent the clans, and we do the best we can...

As for a military power, you might want to ask the Sentinels about that one.
    220 Finalizer (FINALLY, after 3 years without a single ding!) Nulion, Squad Commander (And Council of Truth Clerical Staffer) of Alpha Omega

Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly...Suddenly I awoke...Now, I do not know whether I was then
    a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming that I am a man. - Chuang Tzu

Miss Marisha,

the speaker of the CoT is Sir Tristram of the Knights since the Sentinels rejected to take this position. If you wish to meet with him, I suggest you contact either the Knights directly in Avalon or the Clerical Staff.

And no, even though we support the Sentinels that does not mean that Simon will meet with you just because I ask him nicely. I doubt Mr. Ross would meet with me either if you asked him kindly.

And if you ask me for examples, then I might remind you to the fact that despite the "amnesty" that Mr. Ross so generously offered, I have seen numerous attacks on clan installations. I do not say that clans did not attack as well, but this example shows that despite your own attitude, you are no better.

Omni-Pol running around in Tir even though they had no business there claiming they would now be "patrolling the city" - which ultimately made Simon kick both them and the ICC squatters out of our capital.

I might come up with more examples if I consult my personal files on the recent history but that should be good for now.

-D
    Corrine Daimoness Wright
    - Veteran of Apocalypse

The Council of Truth needs to clearly state its mandate and its goals. It does have historical evidence to support its ability to direct military actions:

"May 19 29418
    Sol Banking Corporation lands mechanised troops and war-machines on Rubi-Ka. Their objective is to seize control of Omni-Tek's notum operations. Omni-Tek receives unexpected help from the clans in the ensuing and drawn-out ground war following Council of Truth instructions."

... and since the members of the Council of Truth originally signed the Tir Accord and the Tir Accord Addendum, we have ample political power as well, if and when the times comes to utilize that power once again.

The war itself triggered the renewal of the CoT. In its revitalized form it makes Omni-Tek very uncomfortable because they cannot predict what will happen next.

Nazly

Nazly, MA 169, Clan, Valor Eternal
    ~~ Lalaina, 118 MP
    ~~ Shoola, 72 Trader
    Atlantean

And if you ask me for examples, then I might remind you to the fact that despite the "amnesty" that Mr. Ross so generously offered, I have seen numerous attacks on clan installations. I do not say that clans did not attack as well, but this example shows that despite your own attitude, you are no better.
    Okay, this is a little closer to specifics rather than generalities, but still lacking somewhat. Since you mentioned the amnesty, I’ll clarify my original statement. Do you have any specific examples of attacks on Clan installations that have been unaddressed that occurred during the amnesty, specifically between October 25 29475 and February 06 29476? If so, please communicate them to me, and I assure you that I will immediately instruct my subcommittee to investigate your claims.

Omni-Pol running around in Tir even though they had no business there claiming they would now be "patrolling the city" - which ultimately made Simon kick both them and the ICC squatters out of our capital.
    Annex 2B, Tir Accord, signed by your government. I believe your issue is with the original representatives of the Council of Truth in this matter, not Omni-Tek or the ICC.

I might come up with more examples if I consult my personal files on the recent history but that should be good for now.
    I eagerly await your research to be fruitful.

According to this clan publication the CoT was no longer in clan territory.

a week later you wrote in the same publication
    The Tir Accord is a document that was signed by you "on behalf of the Omni-Tek Corporation and Henry Radiman on behalf of the united clans". Though Henry Radiman is gone, the clans do still exist. Henry Radiman was not your partner in this contract, he signed the contract in the name of the clans. Thus the Tir Accord is still valid. Or would the Tir Accord become invalid if you and your Board of Directors decided to leave Omni-Tek? Probably not. But we're not talking about justice here anyway, after all. We're talking about power and profits, and that's what this is about.
    Why don't you read the Tir accord for yourself? On the front page, in large, easy-to read print, it says:
    Summary of the Tir Accord Ceasefire Agreement on Rubi-Ka
    between the Omni-Tek Corporation (leaseholders of Rubi-Ka,
    and henceforth referred to as Omni-Tek) and the Council of
    Truth (governing body of the united, independent clans of
    Rubi-Ka, and henceforth referred to as the Council)
    Also from the first page:
    The Tir Accord talks culminated in a Framework Agreement for a ceasefire
    between the two disputing parties of Omni-Tek and the Council. Agents for the
    ICC initiated and witnessed the signing of the Accord.
    Still, from the first page, and most damning of all:
    This agreement is between Omni-Tek and the Council only, and any personnel not affiliated with either
    Omni-Tek or the Council is considered under Omni-Tek control, and subject to Omni-Tek law.
    The Tir accord was an agreement between Omni-tek and the Council of Truth, and when the Council of Truth was overthrown by rogue clan elements...Well, it's hard to have an agreement where only one party to the agreement even exists.

It would have been nice to see some sort of agreement continue between the citizens of this world, but it is evident that the clans (or the new Council that claimed to lead them) refused to even consider accepting peace:

Commander Bacarella of Clan Anarchist Syndicate
    The Council of Truth has been run out of clan territory along with Henry Radiman. He left our clan capital bare without notifying fellow clan leaders about the move, which is an unforgivable mistake. It is time for the CoA to rise again. There is no more time for talk, the clans need to unite and prevail in this war! Long live the fighters!
    Now, that sounds to me like the clans gave up on the Tir Accord (or any other peaceful resolution) long before Omni-tek did, and Mr. Ross simply made a formal declaration of the end, since the other party named in the agreement had ceased to exist and the clans made no efforts to renew the agreement through another body. Simon Silverstone has publicly stated in the past that he didn't support the Council of Truth, and as far as I can tell the Sentinels were not part of the Council of Truth at the time. In fact, Simon Silverstone declared himself an enemy of the Council of Truth:
    Simon Silverstone
    I, Simon Silverstone, and the Sentinels, will support anyone, any individual, clan, or organization with the courage to stand up to the Council of Truth and its faithful flock. We are clan members, not sheep, and we have to fight the sheepherders with every means at our disposal:

Our hearts, or minds... and our guns!
    So here we have clear proof that the Sentinels were not loyal members of the Council of Truth, but a rogue clan opposed to their very existence. Without the Tir accord, the Sentinels are a band of terrorists opposed to Omni-tek, and falling under Omni-tek's jurisdiction.

Even if the Tir accord were still in place, my third quote from that document indicates the Sentinels are subject to Omni-tek law.

There are other questions that need to be answered here as well. Where has this "Council of Ares" gone? I've heard no mention of them since around the time the Sentinels took Tir--what has the CoA done for the clans since then?
    Last edited by Keldros; Jul 19th, 2004 at 08:20:01.

Originally posted by Astera
    What most people don't realize is that the Council is not a government. There is little we can do except create some form of representation for the voice of the Clans.
    from the Tir Accord:
    Omni-Tek recognise the Council as the Governing body, and spokesperson for all clans affiliated with
    it, and its right to negotiate, and speak for the clans. In turn the Council recognises Omni-Tek as the
    superior governing body of Rubi-Ka as documented in the ICC lease of 28708.
    Oh, it's not?
    Last edited by Keldros; Jul 19th, 2004 at 08:14:26.

How about you re-read that entire post of yours, and contemplate the hour or so it took to do it then remember this:

The Tir Accord is Null and Void.

So that entire "damning" (and self-righteous) statement speaks of "past" and a document which never should have been signed in the first place. BUT thats in the past and is "void" today, so it doesnt really affect us.

At this time, we are a voice for only the people involved with the council.

Now, I want at least 4 replies. Get to work!

The Tir Accord is Null and Void.
    Indeed it is. However, in regards to our increased police presence inside Tir, our actions were legal under the Tir Treaty, which was enacted to limit our power in the north. In the absence of the Tir Treaty, our actions were still legal in the eyes of the ICC lease of Rubi-Ka.

So that entire "damning" (and self-righteous) statement speaks of "past" and a document which never should have been signed in the first place. BUT thats in the past and is "void" today, so it doesnt really affect us.
    So, you would have rather had the third civil war continue on? Let me guess, you’re a Sentinel supporter.

At this time, we are a voice for only the people involved with the council.
    I hope you’re not surprised when your clan publications are referring to the reformed Council of Truth as “Sound and Fury, Signifying Nothing.”

Indeed it is. However, in regards to our increased police presence inside Tir, our actions were legal under the Tir Treaty, which was enacted to limit our power in the north. In the absence of the Tir Treaty, our actions were still legal in the eyes of the ICC lease of Rubi-Ka.

okay... and? Are you trying to justify something to me?

So, you would have rather had the third civil war continue on? Let me guess, you’re a Sentinel supporter.

What was your first clue?

I hope you’re not surprised when your clan publications are referring to the reformed Council of Truth as “Sound and Fury, Signifying Nothing.”

Not surprising one bit. I expected this sort of thing, actually. Your point?

Yes, the Tir accord is void today. Of course, that leaves the entire planet legally under the jurisdiction of Omni-tek. Whether you or Simon Silverstone like that or not is irrelevant.

The statement that "Omni-Pol running around in Tir even though they had no business there" is obviously a claim based on one clanner's uninformed opinion. The Council of Truth themselves agreed Omni-Pol had jurisdiction over the Sentinels when they accepted the Tir Accord.

As for the (oddly silent) Council of Ares, I'm wondering what their relationship is with this new Council of Truth (which by its own admission has no authority, which diminishes its credibility quite a bit).

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast