Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Clans Step Up Attacks On Omni-1

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Crime
    My God, woman, just look at them! Look at what they can do, look at how they do it and what they ARE, and come back and tell me that they are human beings in the way that you and I are.
    Their tall, professional soldiers. Last time I saw one, I remember thinking “She’s tall for an Opifex,” but then, with nanotechnology, I can get pretty tall as well. Perhaps your thinking of the hard and somewhat cold look in their eyes, but as a solder myself, I’ve seen that look before. I’ve also seen that look in a lot of people’s eyes. I think I may have even seen the look in Fisk’s eyes, but as a leet, it’s hard to get a good look at anything above knee level.

And I hear about the Black Clan in response, but honestly, there weren't many of them, and they were MADE with a weakness to prevent their overrunning the planet.
    Really? Do you have supporting evidence to this? I was under the impression that it was an unintended side effect of over specialization.

The eremites are my favorite example. Created in part to have a subterranean method of moving and churning topsoil and other organic material, I cannot tell you how many times as a fighter that I got chased halfway across a zone by those damn things, and sometimes in very large numbers
    The existence of the eremite in the Shadowlands has brought their presence on RK into question. Krystanova, personal friend of mine, put forward the hypotheses that the eremites were natives to RK prior to colonization back when she was running Faunalore, long before the Jobe portal had been opened. Surprisingly, a number of creatures that she had identified as being either native were discovered to also exist in the Shadowlands. I still dislike her theories about what the connections between the two are, but in the absence of better theories, hers seem to be the best.

In short, not everything in the wild was placed there by Omni-Tek to make the life of the average clanner difficult.

And we are TOTALLY off the beaten path now. This thread goes into the Clan attacks into Omni-1, and quite frankly, it's boring. We're at war. Yadda yadda yadda.
    I’m sorry that we bore you with attacking your arguments, and it is unfortunate that you believe the conversation has drifted so far, but you were the first person to level the charge that we were creating military troops in the labs. What, just to refresh my memory, does that have to do with bored members of Storm shooting up a Bronto Burger, or does the cold and jaded expressions most fast food workers have lead you to believe they come from some corporate lab as well?
    Last edited by Marisha; Aug 26th, 2004 at 16:23:37.
    Marisha Durousseau, War Dominatrix of The Honored Maidens

Resources exist to be consumed. And consumed they will be, if not by this generation then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright?--CEO Nwabudike Morgan, "The Ethics of Greed"

Read Marisha's Journal, and see what she's doing

Saying that Fisk isn't a professional soldier when you can claim the abominations are just normal humans is sky high rhetoric. It's a pretty poor semantical argument, and what those two very distinctly different people are capable of denotes their scale on the humanity chart. The Omni soliders are lab rats with big guns and armor. Fisk is a human soldier devoid of everything but the basic implants and cyberware that we all wear. No, those soldiers exhibit abilities that are strikingly different from the average soldier, so I don't think we can make the comparisons quite in the same way.

And yes, I believe that the Black Clans were created with the failsafe. No more proof than anyone else puts forth these days. I guess my accounting of this could be called subjective, but no more beyond the norm. I'm not immune from my beliefs anymore than you are. The Clan scientists aren't stupid, and I'm quite certain that they knew of the weakness inherent in their creations. So why do it deliberately? My opinion is what I said. It's because they wanted a way to take them down easily so that they would not become the nightmare that other things have become.

It's true that you can make the case about eremites, medusas, bileswarmers and other creatures that seem to have "brothers" in the Shadowlands, but then again, these realms have been intertwined in some metaphysical manner that defies categorization. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Can you say that the Shadowlands are a reflection of what is on Rubi-Ka or vice versa? I don't think anyone has made THAT case well enough yet. Just theories. Nice ones, and I did read Krysta's theories, and I think they are well thought out for theories. But they are not proof. Just speculation of the nature of the universe. Heady stuff, and few scientists can agree on that, let alone something as amazingly complex as this relationship is. So, you might be right, but you might not be. And as far as making these things to "make Clanners lives miserable", that is merely dismissing an argument and putting your spin on it. Those creatures that I mention that were part of the terraforming efforts that attack on sight attack EVERYONE, Clanner, Omni or Neutral alike. I didn't say that you made them with a "Kill Clan" order in their mutated genetic structure, did I? No. I did not. I merely state that they were left to do what they do as is, without thinking of the consequences of leaving them the way they are.

As for being off the beaten path, usually it's me having to counter an idea that I find completely silly that drives me to discount things I don't believe are correct. I'm not the only one that does this, as I have read through the entire conversation here. I am just bored of the way that arguments are refuted. At least your ideas are mostly supported. I don't agree with your conclusions, but you do have a basis for what you say. That I can respect, even if I am diametrically opposed to your entire premise. I merely make a caveat in the debate that reminds us what this thread is about. Pointing fingers about "who is responsible for bringing it off" would require more fingers than you currently have on your hands, unless you're some sort of Omni-Labs bred monstrosity disguised as an Opifex female agent.

-----------------------------------
    The few, the proud...the Traders.

Maartens - 220 Mogul and former gadfly of Rimor. Now I'm just a major n00b.

In defeat, malice. In victory, revenge!

Fisk is a human soldier devoid of everything but the basic implants and cyberware that we all wear.
    Only if you're willing to stretch your definition of "human."

From an interview in TAG:
    "NOTHING will ever dissuade me. Neutrals should be wiped off the planet,"

"But…,"

"No buts, if it were up to me, and I had the resources available, both Newland City and Borealis would be blown to thousands of pieces in order to eradicate this breeding ground for thoughtless indifferent drones they have created."

Angry

Sry for my long absence and that fact that i not responded earlyer but i have joind a cleaning campain in and around the sentinels HQ those damn Cyborgs are infesiting everything! Thank you i dont need any Omni docs to mess up my brain! Anyways yeah you have not yet nuked us just because i cant! ICC would have a word or two about that and i might get messy for the corp. (Damn those kids are better then agents in hiding!)
    Blood and Bullets! Yeah! Die stupid enf! OH ****! my gun is jammed! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........... (dead)

My definition of "human" is the same as yours, most likely. Of course, with so many intrusive technologies available to all, perhaps this definition can become blurred, and I think most people in these wars of ours can certainly claim to having the humanity line blurred somewhat. But in retrospect, what we are as the people we are are for the modern era, "humans". Be us Opifex, Nanomage, Atrox or Solitus, we all have very large numbers of similarities that link us as a species, for lack of a better word.

Now, on the other hand, the things like the Cyborgs...nope. Not human anymore. They are something else. They have taken the technology and altered their way of thinking to the point where the traits that all humans share in their thinking is completely antithetical to them, and therefore they hate us with a passion that borders psycopathy. I believe that the Omni troops I make as my references are in this category as well, only to a MUCH larger degree. Call them prototypes, if you will, but they are no more human than my blender is.

We're delving into some pretty deep philosophy here with this, so I would prefer we try to stay on topic a bit. I believe we have discussed this enough. Except to say, that Commander Fisk IS a human, the same as we are. The difference is, he is a commander of troops in a war, and his statements allude to little more than rhetoric. Rhetoric, as I come to understand the definition, is NOT action. It is speaking about a possible action, but as he says, "if I had my way..." which to me signifies that he does NOT, and he isn't likely TO have his way either. I would say that all of the Sentinels share this sentiment, but it's nothing more than that. A sentiment. In their view, Neutrals are a 3rd wheel, and we do not like menage-a-trois in this deadly game we are playing. They choose to remain apart from the normal everyday things that Clan and Omni does to each other, yet they are assisted by and large by the Omni population, which is an antonym of their definition of themselves.

But that's another topic. I think we've beat this dead horse so much that even the flies won't settle on it any longer.
    The few, the proud...the Traders.

Maartens - 220 Mogul and former gadfly of Rimor. Now I'm just a major n00b.

In defeat, malice. In victory, revenge!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345