Thread: Mission slider has no bearing on difficulty?

Angry Mission slider has no bearing on difficulty?

Ok, I felt like racking up a few tokens today, so I pulled a 50% misson (I am level 107). I walk in the door, and the first room is filled with blood-red MA clan mobs?! WTF? I haven't died so fast since I thought it was a good idea to attack Metalomania at level 50 :P

I mean, come ON. Last night I ran a 139 mission and the mobs in the first room were con ORANGE to me.

Has anyone else noticed this happening lately?

I've had some wierdo stuff happen to me with that...its to PREVENT token farming..but it also SERIOUSLY hampers soloing. I was doing a 50% mission..at 106..a few days ago..and i walk in the door..okay..3 orange MA mobs in the first room..took them out no prob..then a blood red blaster beetle wanders into the main room....i survived with...39hp-ish..then i open the next door after healing..and BAM..another beetle..blood-red as always..the beetle dropped ql161 bot junk..I ask you..What is a ql161 mob doing in a ql106 mission?

I definately think FC could come up with a better idea..
    Ezequiell 220/24 Doctor
    Vojoc 220/23 Meta-Physicist
    Bourrepif 218/16 Martial Artist

I feel your pain. This has happened so many times to me I lost count. 1 time I nearly cancelled my account I was sooooo annoyed.
    Why FC can't just put 3 yellows or 1 red in that first room I don't know.
    Even 3 yellows depending on your class and what type of mob they are can be a real tough fight, especially if you're crap at pulling...but 3 reds.

Hehe... Two days ago I was to "just take a easy mission" to try out my new SOL Fire combo. Okay, slider to 40% and all looks fine... Bam three deep orange MA's in the first room... Now that would be okay, but the surprise alone took me back to reclaim

Now, I've been asking for variation before, so I can't say anything else then its interesting....

I think the difficulty usually seems to balance out in the long run. I usually do my missions with the same settings, unless I'm either slumming for easy cash (doing 0% difficulty), or want something totally suicidal. And with my "standard" settings, I've found the following:

(1) Three reds in the front room, and the rest of the mission green or yellow.

(2) All green NPC's on the south side of the dungeon, all red A-2000's and A-4000's on the north side. (Couldn't finish that one -- 'bots are much tougher than humans.)

(3) A nice even distribution of medium to dark orange throughout.

(4) Solid reds all the way through, but they were NPC's that were easily persuaded to fight one-on-one.

(5) Whole darn thing deserted! Just treasure free to be scooped up.

Sometimes a mission seems easier than it should be, sometimes harder. It's within a range, just like the size of the mission area can vary from micro to mega, without varying the settings. But it should always average out, over the course of several missions, to be about what you'd expect.
    Last edited by Hierodule; Jun 13th, 2002 at 07:06:54.
    Donald "Hierodule" Wittbrodt
    L77 Atrox Metaphysicist, RK2
    Administrator General, Vox Populi
    Visit us at www.projectrevenant.net

Question Whatwere your settings?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hierodule

And with my "standard" settings, I've found the following:

So what exactly are the settings youve used??? ie good/bad chaos/order.....
    --- Chubula - NT - Atlantean

I always thought the Open/Hidden slider controlled how far away the mission location was, but apparently that may not be the case. I kept in the middle this time and the darn mission was smack in the same zone and area that I was! I used to always slide it to Open, but now I'm thinking toying around with the sliders a bit more to see what strange results I can acquire.

I've noticed that the more cash you're awarded for completing the mission, the farther away it will be. So perhaps the cred/xp slider can effect distance to mission. I think the open/hidden slider only controls the number of locked doors and chests.
    Doctor Frankenstein: "Would you mind telling me ... who's brain ... did I put in?"
    Igor: "And you won't be angry?"
    Doctor Frankenstein: "I will NOT .. be .. angry."
    Igor: "Abby someone."
    Doctor Frankenstein: "Abby someone. Abby who?"
    Igor: "Abby ... Normal."

OMG really?! Wowzers! I gotta test this out.

I usually put the Hidden slider to 100% and I get lots of trapped/locked chests... So this may very well be what Abby said, for even at 100% I can find missions, say, in Rome green/Blue when I'm taking the mission in Rome.

Maybe I'll sound surprising but I actually find missions a little easier since last patch... I've been teaming with my b/f for weeks now, and usually it's just him, me, and my guaaards!!! - errm, sorry, I meant: his bot As we don't have much time to play (1 hour - 2 hours at the most in the evenings when coming back from work) we usually kept the diff. slider to approximatively 40 %, and in "local" missions (we keep the far-located ones for WE). Yet last week, after the patch, mobs were all greens or grey... We chose harder settings, and even the boss was easier to beat... So is this just me, or has there really be achange in all of this after so many people whined about how bosses were too hard to fight after the rest of the mobs found in mission?...

Of course, we don't do 100 % difficulty missions, also...
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

actually, your mission location is a product of a couple of factors:

1) What level/ql the mission/reward is

2) Which faction mission terminal you're using.

Moving the Money/Exp slider just determines how much money/exp you'll make for finishing the mission. Best bet is to set it to full Money since Exp is piddly.

At around lev 1-30 you should be getting missions in Rome, Omni-1, Galway, Lush, Omni Forest and Southern Artery Valley (lol, mission terminal should not be giving these out to lowbies). After that, you'll be getting stuff like 4 holes, Stret East/West, Borealis, even later Clon****, Pleasant Meadows, Andromeda, Milky Way, much later, Broken Shores, Artery Valley, Foul Plains