Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: >> CLAN's advantage <<

o_0

uhhh..... why the heck is an omni posting ideas for clan advantage?

Why the heck are clanners complaining about Omni's advantage?

?

I'm not here posting complaints about Omni advantage.
    I'm here posting ideas for Clan ones.
    There is a diffrence.

mmmm groovey idea there in one post:

Omni Engi: with Slayer trailing behind
    Clan Engi: with Slayer trailing behind

umm how boring is that??

ok we try again:
    Omni Engi: With polished and well painted Slayer behind
    Clan Engi: With a rusty and badly repainted Slayer behind
    ( they still work the same, same stats and all

umm Great! now they actually look appart from eachother!

same thing goes for Crat bots.

ohh and plz give clans a better looking Str stam armor than Grafted or organic! i dont want to look like ive got a bad rash all over thank you very much!

OK, as only a few people have been bright enough to notice, there's pretty conclusive evidence that the Omni advantages are not overwhelming (note the respective populations of Omni and Clan; if Omni were all that, there wouldn't be so many clanners). So the idea of giving clanners the org skill bonuses is not an idea for balancing the two sides, it's an idea for making the clan hugely better. On the other hand, it would be nice to give the two sides more individuality.

Clan-specific equipment is, of course, the easiest way to balance the armor issue, but it's also the most boring and least conducive to diversity. So I expect it's the option Funcom likes best, but I don't like it.

On the other hand, I really like the idea of organization bonuses, so much so that I'm horrified at the suggestion of giving them to only one side. Thus, what I'd like to see is for the clanners to get their organization bonuses, and for Omni-tek to have their divisions (omni-med, omni-pol, etc.) actually become meaningful. Allow omni-tek people to sign up with a division, and have that division give bonuses comparable to the organization bonuses the clanners get, but omnis can only get a package deal, they can't customize their orgs to get exactly the bonuses they want, and they also can't choose their own set of costs (I'm assuming the org bonuses will have associated costs; the division bonuses should also).

If the division bonuses worked exactly like org bonuses, this would leave the clanners with the better deal, but if the division bonuses weren't gratuitously stupidly chosen, it wouldn't be by a huge margin. Other differences (perhaps some decent division-specific equipment) could balance things nicely. IMHO.

Funcom doesn't really know WTH is going on in AO; you only have to look at the "Proffesion" implants to see that. If they implemented nonselectable division bonuses, the bonuses would suck but we'd get screwed on the costs.

*Assuming* that we wouldn't get shafted on div bonuses, that would really rock in the xpac. Might even be enough to make me buy it, honestly.

Well?

So, uh? This thread was started 7 months ago, 5 months after the game's initial release, and we're no closer to solving this issue than we were then. The Omni have advantages, the Clans do not. I was trying to explain to a friend who I just started why he should choose Clan, other than "we're all Clan."

The conversation went like this:

"So Omni have more stores?"
    "Yea."
    "And better prices?"
    "Yea."
    "And good Omni only equipment?"
    "Yea."
    "And better access to the world via the Grid?"
    "Yea."
    "So why are we Clan again?"
    "Um....well...er...cuz someday, it will suck to be Omni?"

Yea, weak. Omni is a mega corporation which caused a revolution due to human rights violations and stringent authority...not that you can tell that from the Omni player base. In actuality, there probably shouldn't be any Clan advantages, just lots of Omni disadvantages. Things like being switched to neutral if you kill anything Omni without provocation. Or facing some penalty if you use stims or any buildable armor or weapons that come from receptacles (they're illegal, remember?).

The whole point of the Clans is -freedom- but right now, Omni has as much freedom as we do, plus a whole lot of other benefits. And it really sucks. It makes the story silly, it makes role-play silly, and it makes everyone the same regardless of side, excpet we're just more broke.

I'd like to see the story actually build out these advantages, maybe by selling these new illegal items in Clan stores or having them drop more commonly in Clan territory. And honestly, they should at least have "not omni" as a requirement. I mean, you can't go around using an obviously illegal gun and still call yourself a member of Omni-Pol. Stupid stupid stupid.
    Clan fixer, Fourth Title

Director of Information
    Analog Myth

I wouldn't mind those disadvantages, but I'm sure the Omni Traders and Engies would scream if all the tradeskill stuff was taken away from them

i like the idea of omni disadvantages.

yes some people would scream, but they can requisition to be in a project that is making something cool in the engineering department and merchants ( a trade skill trader would be acting as a merchant ) are corrupt by nature and always looking to bend the laws as much as possible. there is also the option to have fixers help with the illegal stuff.

it doesn't feel like omni aligned characters are part of the big corporation unless they are wearing omni specific clothing/armor.

force omnis to wear something that clearly depicts omni logos. i'm not wearing visibly omni armor? i better wear some omni back slot item or head item. ...

If every piece of chest and back armor had an OT logo on it, that would be cool. Wouldn't be a disadvantage, but it would be cool. Clanners always say, "Hey! Make the Omnis all wear the same!" But that would just really suck. I mean, come on. Getting a little more money out of a shop terminal is not as big as looking crappy.

As an omni I must say I find the idea of special law regulatory disadvantages appealing. This would also serve to "flesh-out" the differences between clan and omni - as is now clan is comming off as the aggressors/terrorists where as omnis are portrayed as just defenders (2ho IS after all an omni city subject to constant clan attacks).

However, imposing such hash penalties as loosing side affiliation for minor offenses such as using illegal arms would be too hash (would spell death to a majoity of omni fixers). Killing omni guards repeatedly should lead to expulsion/sacking, but this should probably be case for clanners aswell.

I see advantages to clan be given out in areas like: small bonuses to adventuring/map navigation (pioneers), body developement (hard life) to name a few. On the same note I find it fitting that omnis should have advantages in fields like tradeskills and further equipment usable at all levels of play.

I consider omni advantages in equipment and money, debatable at best; the armor is only used by intermediate levels and clanners can change to omni to don the armor and then change back without loosing tokenboard, and as far as I know clanners can use omni map vendors to get same prices for sales. To sum it up: I want more differences between clan and omni, but having clan be given clear cut advantages would be a imbalancing mistake (Clan already have the majority of players and higher levels).

Seraphael
    Seraphael - 200 fixer
    Pepzi - ** agent
    Troxitazz - retired trader

Of course, just maybe you're not suppose to have an advantage of being a clanner. Maybe you're a clanner because you believe in your fight for freedom and a democratic government. Not because you might get +1 to body dev at somepoint down the line. Let's face it. You're the rebels. Many of you are sons and daughters of ex Omni employees who decided to...rebel. You use technology that the ICC forces Omni-Tek to share with you. But it's not yours. It's Omni's. You are a small disorganized pseudo democracy based within the confines of Omni-Tek biospheres on a small corner of an uninhabitable world. Omni-Tek is the megacorp that developed and grew most of your ancestors. They spawn the galaxy. This Rubi-Ka incident while very important, is but one arm of their efforts. You wonder why Omni has advantages? Keep wondering, because explaining obviously won't matter to you.

Of course, you might not give a damn about the rp aspect of the game. To you this game is a bigger version of Starcraft. Stop worrying about what the other people have. Look at what you have and make the best of it. There seems to be an awefull lot of clanners that do just that. And do just fine without a coded 'clan advantage'.

I agree about guards. Though I think there should be a stat for side. Kinda like alignment. Make it 0-100. 0 for omni, 100 for clan. 34-66 for neut? As an Omni, I kill my own guard. I gain 15 pnts in side. 19 more points and I'll fall in the neutral category and be automatically side switched to neut. As a neut, killing more omni guards till my side stat is up to 67. Automatically side switched to clan. Give guards a set amount of pnts. Give player characters pnts as well. A level 75 clanner that you kill as a level 180 omni might drop your side stat by 1 point. A level 180 clanner killed by you as a level 80 omni might drop your side stat by 20 pnts. Reversal for Clanners.
    Last edited by Zylina; Jul 13th, 2002 at 05:09:31.

Zylina, grats on getting the first real constructive, lucid and mature post on this thread. Now FC, what she said...shoo! implement!

Seraphael
    Seraphael - 200 fixer
    Pepzi - ** agent

Lightbulb Re: OMNI restrictions

Originally posted by Transcendent (account canceled)
    What I want to see are some heavy omni dresskode. I mean, it's a company right, and companies usually have a dresskode the employees have to follow. That's where the clans should differ, a clansman can wear whatever he wants to, while an omni always have to wear some sort of uniform.

I remember reading a questioneer back before release that should determine if you should choose omni or clan. One of the questions was: I like to wear whatever I like / I like to wear cool looking uniforms.

Now I know there's alot of omni only armor and cloaks out there, but they are optional.. you can always wear something else if you want to look different. Omni is a large cooperation, they should have a dresscode and little room for individual/personal choice.
    This is a great idea!

Besides, I think the biggest thing that makes people want to be clan vs. Omni is that being clan is "cool" / individualistic and being Omni is like being a Micro$oft employee... but worse...

I also think that there are lots more Clan people than Omni, which is as it should be. Most rebellions are the "little people" ganging up on an established organization of like-minded people either too afraid to rebel, or too stupid to see that they are being repressed....

I think this is what we should be going for...

Oh.. and WE NEED PvP!!! If the clans are supposedly at war with Omnitek, why the hell isn't there realistic PvP? Teams of people (or stealthy solo agents) should be able to go into opposing lands on missions to destroy things and people. (How fun would it be if a bunch of Omni folks decided to raid Tir one day... Clans would have to respond with force...

ChaosKitten
    <The Last Judgement>
    Rubi-Ka2

OK, I've already said what I really want to see, but if clanners want a small bonus to match the small bonus that omni has, what about this? Lots of people have complained in other threads that you don't suffer a penalty for killing NPCs of the same alignment as you. Introduce some big penalty (loss of tokens, perhaps?), enough to almost completely prevent people from killing same-side NPCs, and then, since Omnitek is big and rich, make Omnitek NPCs drop significantly better loot than clan NPCs. Simple, fits in with the background, and addresses the economic complaints the clanners have nicely. I'd still like to see org bonuses implemented too, though.

As for the alleged omni economic advantage: Clan/neutrals can use certain OT vendors to obtain the same prices on sales, in addition omni personnel pay many times the tax on cellular scans. Together this entails that it is clan, not omni, that in fact has the economic advantage.
    Seraphael - 200 fixer
    Pepzi - ** agent

OMNI vs Clans

OK.. Here's my summary so far of suggestions from myself and others:

+ Force OT Dress code
    + Make OT personnel drop better loot (not credits)
    + Make OT missions give more credits
    + Make equipment work for everyone
    + Punish players who kill same-side guards/NPCs
    - I like the suggestion to remove tokens, since tokens
    - reflect your honour.
    + Force side-choice for neutrals who attack guards/NPCs
    - or force choice at a certain level and don't give tokens to
    - neutrals (tokens are "honour", and neutrals must choose a
    - side to gain the honour of Omni or Clans
    + Implement a reasonable PvP and outside scenario before
    - we all lose everyone's interest because AO has become a
    - game of doing the same missions over and over again and
    - always fighting the same things.

Now, if Funcom would actually listen. Personally, I've recently started playing Neverwinter Nights, which is free to play and there seems to be a sense of roleplaying and adventure that has been lost since the days of Traveller, Gary Gygax and Steve Jackson... If Funcom doesn't enhance Anarchy Online soon, it may dwindle to nothing, along with Funcom.

-- ChaosKitten
    <The Last Judgement>
    chaoskitten@absolutechaos.com

Clan Advantage

Why is this thread full of whiny Omni players seeking to further handicap Clan players? It has been stated from the beginning of the game that Omni players would have an economic advantage (which they do) and that Clan players would get advantages through their organizations (which they don't).

Please just implement the original plan and get these people to stop whining (if that is possible).

Where is the problem ?

Give Clans a +100 all Skill Bonus and all is fine.

g.
    Sodom

Re: Clan Advantage

Originally posted by Sallust
    Why is this thread full of whiny Omni players seeking to further handicap Clan players? It has been stated from the beginning of the game that Omni players would have an economic advantage (which they do) and that Clan players would get advantages through their organizations (which they don't).

Please just implement the original plan and get these people to stop whining (if that is possible).
    Okay, your org advantage is the ability to have funky colors. It's just as useful as our "economic advantage"

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast