Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omni-News: Slaughter in Omni-Entertainment

Omni-News: Slaughter in Omni-Entertainment

Administrator Houston checked his report as shots are still being exchanged between Clanners and the city's Omni-Pol defenders at the Bronto Burger in Omni-Entertainment.

His Datapad displayed the heading for his article.
    Article heading

Slaughter in Omni-Entertainment
    Omni-Entertainment, Omni-1
    June 26, 29478

Article Contents

Submit? [Yes] / [No]
    Another Omni-Pol officer fell at the hands of the Terrorist Clanners. The killer gave a cheer and continued to kill another Omni-Pol officer desperately trying to reestablish order and protect the lawful Omni-Tek employees. But Kithrak already knew that the Omni-Pol were no match even if they sent the entire division. Bitter memories welled up of the Omni-Tek leadership ignoring his Memo calling for upgrades to the city's defenders.

Without further hesitation he punched [Yes] on his Datapad and walked away from the carnage continuing to unfold behind him. A squad of Omni-Pol troopers sent to reinforce their slaughtered predecessors ran past him, to their doom no doubt. Let us see just how truthful this Council of Truth is.

The report zipped through the grid nets and wound up in this place.

[OOC Reference]
    Security Memo
    The article that was submitted. (Look under June 26, 2004)
    [/OOC Reference]
    Last edited by Kithrak; Jun 26th, 2004 at 11:45:46.
    Charles 'Kithrak' Houston - Equipment
    Administrator, Omni-Admin
    Bringing the politics of Rubi-Ka to life!

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche-

"By denying support to the possibility of peace, the Council of Truth is guranteeing an outcome of war."-Administrator Houston-

I don't think it is fair to hold the new CoT responsible as they do not claim to represent or govern all the Clans. The day may yet come when the forces of law and order from both sides will be willing to cooperate in bring criminals to justice, but that is still a long way away.

A statement from the CoT condeming such incursion in Omni cities would be a welcome sign of good faith, but again I don't see this happening. It is a commonly held view among the Clans that whatever Clanners do to Omni it is justified by history, as if two wrongs ever made a right.

But one thing is clear. I the Clans think these acts of terror will demoralise Omni-Tek and break our spirit, they are mistaken. For as long as our lease lasts, the South of Rubi-Ka belongs to us. We will fight protect our homes, our families and the right to live as we choose to.

Savoy
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

And now the story changes around eh? The clans are the ones growing bigger and Omni-Tek is the side being oppressed?

The Council of Truth is formed to try and bring the many clans together, it has succeeded to bring some of the big clans together, but not all clanners are members of the Council.

Next to that, some clanners who might even be in the CoT could have been at that raid. That doesnt mean the CoT ordered them to go there. The CoT has no direct rule over any clans. The clans are free to do what they want, the only thing the CoT can do is disaprove of something and ask the Clans to stop attacks like this.

But i see just as many Omni-Tek employees getting into Athens and Tir, attacking...kidnapping and calling names at clanners.
    I would think those people should be held in tome more than the clanners since they have to abide to the Omni-Tek rules.
    We dont have rules so by attacking Omni-Tek teritories we arent breaking any.
    You have rules, but i wonder if one of them is not to attack Clan teritory.
    Im not trying to be disrespectfull but Ive had it to up my neck.
    Ive had enough of Omni-Tek employees whining and pointing fingers at random organisations and people because they got attacked. Its war, what did you expect?
    And untill Phillip Ross and the CoT have not confirmed that there is a peace treaty between Omni-Tek and the Clans I dont understand how you can call people who attack you criminals and terorists.

Keep your whining to yourself or bring it to your leaders in Omni Headquarters, because it seems they are the ones sitting on their butt and not doing anything here.
    Omni-Tek employees are expecting clans to take measures...picture that...
    You want us to show good faith? What do we owe you guys?
    You havent shown us good faith since the last peace treaty.
    I point out that the Clerical staff of the Council was condemned and wanted for trying to bring the clans back together to solve their problems. And you want us to show good faith?

*sighs*

Originally posted by Legaron
    ...i see just as many Omni-Tek employees getting into Athens and Tir, attacking...kidnapping and calling names at clanners.
    Pffft! We would never kidnap Clanners - we don't want you where you are let alone want to take you home with us.
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

And now the story changes around eh? The clans are the ones growing bigger and Omni-Tek is the side being oppressed?
    That is absolutely right and its been this way for at least the past three years. It as good a time as any to remind people of that old Earth story by George Orwell called "Animal Farm".

The Council of Truth is formed to try and bring the many clans together, it has succeeded to bring some of the big clans together, but not all clanners are members of the Council.

Next to that, some clanners who might even be in the CoT could have been at that raid. That doesn’t mean the CoT ordered them to go there. The CoT has no direct rule over any clans. The clans are free to do what they want, the only thing the CoT can do is disaprove of something and ask the Clans to stop attacks like this.
    Again, I agree completely. I don't hold the CoT accountable for these attacks, I never have.

But i see just as many Omni-Tek employees getting into Athens and Tir, attacking...kidnapping and calling names at clanners.
    I would think those people should be held in tome more than the clanners since they have to abide to the Omni-Tek rules.
    That is probably true. I obviously do not spend much time in Tir or Athen, but I am fully aware of the number of radicals, ruffians and mercenaries that operate under Omni-Tek's banner. I agree, it is shameful that OTRK cannot control its people more closely, despite the rumours Omni-Tek citizens enjoy considerable personal freedom. But at least over the past years Omni-Tek has managed to get rid of some of the worse rogue factions like Chimera and Sinister Anarchists. It's not much, but its a start.

There are butchers, hardliners and warmongers on both sides. There are moderates on both sides. Perhaps the real problem here is that when push comes to shove, the doves of either side will support the hawks of their own side when in fact they probably have more in common with the moderates of the opposite faction. It's as if culture and heritage meant more the simple right and wrong.

Im not trying to be disrespectfull but Ive had it to up my neck.
    Ive had enough of Omni-Tek employees whining and pointing fingers at random organizations and people because they got attacked. Its war, what did you expect?
    Quite right, the time for whining is over. Irrespective of the right and wrongs of the Rubi-Kan question - and one would have to be pretty darn arrogant to claim that in a conflict spanning two centuries only one side were at fault - Omni citizens do face an increase level of threat. This threat is not in remote military outposts or strategic mining facilities, but in the heart of our very cities. It perhaps time for us, the men and women of Omni-Tek to organize ourselves to ensure that our homes and loved ones remain safe from harm.

Savoy

Originally posted by Savoy
    It perhaps time for us, the men and women of Omni-Tek to organize ourselves to ensure that our homes and loved ones remain safe from harm.
    Now you're talking! Kill a Clan today, be happy tomorrow!
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Keep your whining to yourself or bring it to your leaders in Omni Headquarters, because it seems they are the ones sitting on their butt and not doing anything here.
    Omni-Tek employees are expecting clans to take measures...picture that...
    You want us to show good faith? What do we owe you guys?
    You havent shown us good faith since the last peace treaty.
    I point out that the Clerical staff of the Council was condemned and wanted for trying to bring the clans back together to solve their problems. And you want us to show good faith?

*sighs*
    To: Everyone else

Should I just copy/paste an old response because this particular Clanner didn't bother to do any homework? Educating Clanners of their own history isn't covered under my job description....this should count as volunteer work.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche-

"By denying support to the possibility of peace, the Council of Truth is guranteeing an outcome of war."-Administrator Houston-

I would just whack him over the head with a Lead Pipe... but that's me.
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

No, that wouldn't solve anything. And neither are the Clanners helping by using the age old excuse.(Translation of this Clanner's response to the news report.) 'Well we're Clans, we can do whatever we want and we're not responsible because we're Clan!' The bottom line is that those Clanners end up saying that Clan Terrorist activities designed to oppress are perfectly legitimate.

As Savoy have pointed out in the case of the fictional story, Animal Farm in there is the idea that "Some are more equal than others." Based on all previous public responses the Clans fighting for their supposed freedom auctually believe that they are somehow entitled to 'more' freedom and equality than the rest of Rubi-Ka's civilized society. The Neutrals? In the eyes of the Sentinels' popular support by the Council of Truth they have no freedom to be Neutral, sub-equals. Omni-Tek? They have no right to decide to choose Omni-Tek. They are sub-equal to the sublime ideals of total and absoloute Clan supremacy and freedom to do anything they want. Free from laws, free from moral / social responsibility and free to be prejudicial against anyone non-Clan.

In the Clan's fight against percieved oppression they end up destroying and removing everyone else's right to choose and force(oppress) everyone to follow their Clanner form of government which isn't democratic, their Clanner freedom as long as you are doing what they like, their Clanner equality as long as they are the ones with an iron grip over everyone under their domain.

Don't believe me? The democratic Council of Truth still have refused to even talk to an Omni-Tek employee(real freedom there!) or admit that Neutrals have a right to exist(equality) or official word that the Dust Brigade is officially not a Clan(responsibility).
    Last edited by Kithrak; Jun 28th, 2004 at 23:40:45.

*takes the bait*

wow...and all this time, I thought Omni Tek was the monster.
    Last edited by Astera; Jun 29th, 2004 at 00:53:16.

Fixerben chuckles and walks away.

Benjamin "Fixerben" Bacarella - L212 AL10
    Haywood "Brawlking" Jablomy - L220 AL21

Oh this should be amusing.
    "I have no idea what you're talking about.."

Glenn "Stefano" Kyren - Lieutenant of The Black Company, Grandmaster Assassin for the Clans and proud supporter of Silverstone and the Sentinels.

Romulus "Arnthem" McChristian - Trigger Happy Soldier for the Company.

''The Wraiths never die, merely fade away. Only to appear when someone least expects it.'' - Shrine of the Wraith

The Black Company Forums
    Roleplaying Profile of Glenn "Stefano" Kyren

I might be a firm supported of the CoT, but its quite obvious that there is a ggod number of Clans that would do something like this.

In other news. Im happy to see that Omni-Pol is getting a work out. Serves em riight for the way they treat their recruits (Despite what the press says). If only someone would do something about InternOps...
    John "Volais" Lockhart
    Member of Cerberus

Originally posted by Kithrak

Should I just copy/paste an old response because this particular Clanner didn't bother to do any homework? Educating Clanners of their own history isn't covered under my job description....this should count as volunteer work.

As an older clansman, I suppose the duty to educate younger generations falls upon my shoulders. Gather around, my clan brothers, sisters, and troxes, and I shall relate to you a small part of your heritage...

First off, about 20 years ago or so, CEO Phillip Ross petitioned the Council of Truth to allow Omni-Tek to reopen their mines located on our territory in exchange for a portion of the profits from the notum sale. The Council agreed, with the hope that the revenue from the mines could be used to help us build a better future for ourselves and our children.

Then, Omni-Tek decided it would be easier to just take the notum without giving the Clans one credit. As many clansmen lived in rather hopeless, crushing poverty in those days, some folks decided that the only way we could ever hope to find a brighter tommorow was to take what Omni owed us by force.

Then, Omni decided that we were a nuisance for actually wanting what we were fairly owed and decided that along with taking away our notum, they would take away our land too.

Then, some clansfolk were a bit upset about that, so they held a peaceful protest. Or at least it was peaceful before Omni-Pol decided it would be a good idea to start massacring hundreds of innocent people.

Then, a bloody nine year war broke out where an entire generation of clansmen were slaughtered.

Then, the clan youth who where raised during that era, both lacking in role-models (as they were all at war, or dead) and in educational opportunites (as the teachers were all at war, or dead) or even a full and proper exposure to culture (as the artists and philosophers were all at war, or dead) finally found themselves fully of age with few career skills and even fewer hopes for the future. This resulted in an endemic, pent up rage manifesting itself across clan culture. They increasingly turn to raiding Omni-Tek as a way to make a living and find some release for that hate.

Then, noting the results of the devastating collapse of my people's society and culture in the post-war era, some pompous, arrogant Omni suit looks down his nose upon the situation and makes noises as if it was all the clans' fault that we are where we stand today, and what the heck is our problem anyways?

Then, the twit declares that the only way to resolve the problem is more guards, more guns, shoot them all down like dogs, etc.

Then, Omni-Tek still owes us all of that damn money, which could be invested in restoring our cities and building new schools, so clanners can get a proper education from a teacher in a classroom instead of having to get their history from a cranky old man over the grid.

And that concludes today's lesson.

-Marron Lade

*Legaron listens carefully to what mr Lade says*

*applauds*

--------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all, One of Omni-Minings people has ones kidnapped one of our Clan brothers at Assembly....

Kithrak I know that you are well respected by Omni-Tek employees and even by some Clanners for trying to solve this war between clans and omni-tek.
    But who are you to end this war? Do you honestly think that if you sit around a table with the CoT and say "Lets end this war" the Omni-Tek heads (phill) are gonna say "well that Kithrak is such a nice guy, lets get that piece declaration on the way."
    This has been said before but I guess you just havent payed attention to it.
    As i said before, we can't have any random Omni-Tek employee make us a peace treaty. We need a word of one of the leaders at Omni-Tek.
    I really like the way that you are trying to bring peace, but youre not in a democracy.
    You are asking us to bring peace to you, while your leaders arent doing anything...

Your comment about the neutrals although i do not understand, It seems that you still do not understand that the neutrals arent any part of this situation between the Clans and Omni-Tek.
    I do my homework quite right.
    Neutrals = People who have no side in a conflict or situation.
    Clans = Multiple groups with multiple leaders.
    Omni-Tek = One Coorporation with a CEO.

We have tried to bring the Multiple groups and their leaders together to come to some order.
    I can understand that because you as Omni-Tek are "One" that you think the Clans are "One" too, but this is not the case.
    By forming the Council we have done our best attempt to make the Clans "One" but this attempt isnt perfected since there are so many Clans that still arent a member of the CoT.

And I as a clanner am not responsible for what other clanners do and neither is the Council. This doenst mean that we do not condemn the actions done by some clanners.
    This is the same case with Omni-Tek. You arent responsible for what other Omni-Tek employees do either...but Phillip Ross is...
    I hope that you see where I'm going here.

"The Neutrals? In the eyes of the Sentinels' popular support by the Council of Truth they have no freedom to be Neutral, sub-equals."

We did not favor the sentinels because the way that they see the neutrals, matter of fact one of the highest priorities at the Council is to try and turn this around.
    Maybe you havent done all of your homework either?
    Again i state...We are not responsible for the sentinels actions or thoughts on the matter. You shouldnt address the Clanners as a whole for this matter but confront the Sentinels and their leaders...but I dont think that it will do any good.

In my opinion:
    Either the Omni-Tek CEO's come together with the Council of Truth's Clerical staff and work out a peace treaty of some sort or this war will not end and all hell will break loose.
    I myself have had enough too.
    Miss Flowers and "Cogz" have talked to you about this before and they have said they are willing to do something and show good faith.
    It seems the Chess game between the Council of Truth and the Omni-Tek CEO Phillip Ross is still ongoing.
    And its Ross' turn to make a move.

I state this and I hope you take my statement seriously.
    If Ross does not make his move...I will make a move because this has take too long and I'm tired of taking all of the blows that are directed towards Clans as a whole and so are a lot of others.

Escritores looks at the news with a proud smile.. Only one sentence comes to mind "A good Omni, is a dead Omni"..
    Neophyte/Sergeant/Tactician Escritores - Proud General of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 220/27/56 - Soldier - Equip - outdated...
    Poacher Overpoweredz - Proud UC of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 169/9/X - ADV - Equip outdated
    Chiropractor/Tactician Kartoon - Proud SC of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 150/12/12 - Doctor - TL5 PvP incoming. Under construction.
    Also a Freshman Crat, Freshman/Student/Squire/Captain Keep, Freshman/Phreaker/Scout Fix and a bunch of other tower punks and alts...
    Soldier Weaponrack: Anger of Xan, Dreadloch Modified Shark, Amplified KOC-Type 13, Lord Of Anger, AHF, SRPB, KOC-Type 12, KOEC-Type 3, 179-214-237 Coop, Supernova, Omni-Flamer.
    Gromulator: Go troll in your cavern , mr happy Bunny.
    Romaas about lvl 49 soldier BS twinks using CDR's
    Quote Originally Posted by Romaas View Post
    at 49 its totally awesome damage.

I take your points Mr Lade, they are all very well made. I am the first to admit that Omni-Tek has made number of blunders in the past. It's kind of hard to forget this when these error have cost us half a planet. However things are not quite so black and white as you seem to suggest.

What you omitted to mention in your example is that even after this treaty between OTRK and the CoT was signed, the Omni mining operations in the North were still subjected to vicious and repeated attacks from Clan forces. Admittedly these Clans were not officially aligned with the CoT, but as far as Omni was concerned, we found ourselves paying protection money to one Clan only to get mugged by another Clan.

What was then the point of having a treaty with CoT if the CoT's control of the North so weak it could not police it's own territory? What exactly was the CoT doing to uphold its side of the treaty and earn its share of the mining profits? Even if we exclude the possibility of collusion between the CoT and these non-aligned Clans at the time, can you in all honesty say that the CoT was not turning a blind eye to the situation?

In retrospect OTRK should not have pressed for this treaty, and once the treaty showed to be worthless it should have simply withdrawn from the North. But hindsight is 20/20. So yes, mistakes were made, but every story has two sides to it.

As for the alleged poverty, these were lean times for everyone, we were just coming out of period of wars and galactic recession. What I can say is that since I've been here on Rubi-Ka, even before the mining deregulation, I've seen Clanner living the high life. The knights don't seem have any problems living out their lavish medieval fantasies and errecting dragon fillled palaces in Camelot and Versailles. And you will always see the lastest fashions and sports vehicles in West Athen, often before you see them in Rome. If there are Clanner who still live in poverty, maybe you should be asking your noble Clan lords and ladies where all the money is going.

Savoy
    Last edited by Savoy; Jun 29th, 2004 at 23:51:38.

Originally posted by Marron Lade
    Then, the clan youth who where raised during that era, both lacking in role-models (as they were all at war, or dead) and in educational opportunites (as the teachers were all at war, or dead) or even a full and proper exposure to culture (as the artists and philosophers were all at war, or dead) finally found themselves fully of age with few career skills and even fewer hopes for the future.
    I may be a cranky arrogant suit, but waving the banner of “Victims Mentality” only serves to demean your culture and your accomplishments after the war, and amounts to the downgrading of man's notion of justice into an ethical mode devoid of reason.

Also, victim’s mentality is a poor justification for continued hostilities and attacks on civilian targets. “I will be justified in attacking them in their homes, due to my lack of positive roll models as a child.”

Please.

Miss Flowers and "Cogz" have talked to you about this before and they have said they are willing to do something and show good faith.
    On the fifteenth of June, Savoy asked for a discussion to determine a common ground that both the reformed CoT and Omni-Tek could use as a framework for future talks. Kithrak and myself joined in the discussion. Neither Miss Flowers nor “Cogs” said a word, as I recall. In fact, I believe that the last thing Miss Flowers said on the matter was

Originally posted by Vixentrox
    As for opening dialouge with the corporation, we need set our own house in order before getting enmeshed if politics with OT-RK.
    While it should be noted that this was a good two weeks before Savoy called for a meeting, though in the interval, she did publish a press release that indicated that the clan she heads favors a continuation of the current conflict with Omni-Tek (no doubt to their lack of positive roll models as children).

If Cogs has made a statement asking to sit down and talk recently, I’m sure it will be pointed out to me.

It should also be noted that while these two are respected members of the clans, they are not in any way the leaders of the clans. It is a bit hypocritical to ask that we send the CEO of the corporation to meet with two respected members of the clans who do not represent all the clans with one breath, and rejecting the overtures made by a respected employee of Omni-Tek because he’s not the CEO.

I half think I should start demanding Speaker Silverstone to attend a framework meeting, until the clans are willing to compromise.
    Last edited by Marisha; Jun 29th, 2004 at 23:47:50.
    Marisha Durousseau, War Dominatrix of The Honored Maidens

Resources exist to be consumed. And consumed they will be, if not by this generation then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright?--CEO Nwabudike Morgan, "The Ethics of Greed"

Read Marisha's Journal, and see what she's doing

Kithrak I know that you are well respected by Omni-Tek employees and even by some Clanners for trying to solve this war between clans and omni-tek.
    But who are you to end this war? Do you honestly think that if you sit around a table with the CoT and say "Lets end this war" the Omni-Tek heads (phill) are gonna say "well that Kithrak is such a nice guy, lets get that piece declaration on the way."
    I have never said that I will single handedly put and end to this war.(However, one can hope.) What I have said is that I cannot do this alone. What I have asked for is the support of the people. With enough popular support, the Omni-Tek leadership will have no choice but to give heed to the ideals that we represent. With enough popular support, we can finally keep the Sentinels in check and ensure the safety of the Neutral people.

I am trying to provide the means for the people to defend themselves against millitants that seek to force us into a war. They are already organized and numerous. To idlely sit by and let the millitants dictate our fate(to fight each other) are no better than putting your support behind the millitant factions.

One way to curtail hostilities is to punish those that seek to promote it. Stronger guards within the Omni-Tek cities will make the millitant Clans think twice about slaughtering law abiding employees by holding them accountable for their actions from Omni-Pol guards that can finally do something about it.

Smile

[OOC: I really like where this debate is going. Just to state most Clanners who have chosen for the Sentinals have done this because they want more conflict between clans and omni-tek since the RP is being taken away by all the activities on SL. thus trying to bring more RP into the game there must be a conflict to make it more interesting for the people to divert their attention to Rubi-Ka and its conflict. Nice job on all ya peeps *smiles*]

I can't remember when the Omni-Tek has ever heeded to the popular demand of its employees.
    As i recall when the mine had collapsed there was a popular demand of the people to save the Atrox' that were trapped inside...but did Omni-Tek take heed?
    It seems you havent understood the fact that Omni-Tek only makes decisions based on if they can make any credits out of it.
    The peace treaty that was signed was because Omni-Tek wasnt making the credits that it was before the clans had taken over the mines, so they made a peace treaty to be alowed entrance to the mines and make credits again.
    This meaning that if Omni-Tek had no means of making credits by reopening the mines, it wouldnt have made any sign of peace and the war would have still be ongoing and their goals were to be set to whipe out the Clans just as it was before.

I have hope sometimes...and i see that you do to.
    But sometimes its false hope.
    Hoping that the Sentinels will be held in tome is a false hope.
    Simon Silverstone and the Sentinels have scars so big on their faces that theyre blinded by it.
    Peace is no meaning to them since they are not in the Clan war against Omni-Tek.
    They are in a personal war against Omni-Tek....

To be perfectly honest, ofcourse I want peace.
    But realisticly, painting perfect pictures hasnt ever worked.
    The missery that the clans have is so deep that most of them only know violent measures by now.
    There are so many people dieing and I really want to help.
    But still I keep my weapon at hand all the time because I too have to protect myself and that what is dear to me.

You should understand mr. Lades point of view. The promise of a better tomorow hasn't ever reached the younger Clan community.
    People like Silverstone have had so many traumas that theyve turned violent and their teachers (if there were any...) were too petrified to even try to teach them.
    Do you honestly think you can teach someone like Silverstone something about peace when hes brought up in war and has had his parents lost because of war?

I wonder why you ask me if I want peace, if you cant grant it.
    Theres people fighting across this whole planet.
    Will there ever be peace?
    The way it looks were all headed towards our own doom.
    Were still too much consumed by old vendetas and beefs.
    And this is why I keep my weapon and armor with me even when I'm walking through the streets of Old Athens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast