Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: E N G I N E E R

Talking

yay bump! lvl 42 engi here and i'm feeling the pain. Started an NT the other day and he's doing so well and NO PET! come on everyone help out the NT profession because they're just as gimped as us, but seriosly engis and NT's need serious burnin loove. hire me FC! I'll show you how to make this game right!

Nah, engies are just fine the way they are

Perhaps make the much talked about kamikaze robot into a low health thingie but with ranged attacks instead of pure melee, would that help the pvp aspect? Alternately, and probably more fitting with a "kamikazeish-theme", this bot should have uber nanoresist and speed, kinda like an enforcer with rage, and with melee attack only.

However, engies gotta give in some departments; they are great soloers and have superior tradeskills (would like to see engies get buffs to the mechanic/engineerish skills there). Your ranged skills in pistol, heavy weapons and grenades are cheap and there are good weapons implemented that cover these skills.
    Last edited by Seraphael; Jul 14th, 2002 at 18:54:11.
    Seraphael - 200 fixer
    Pepzi - ** agent
    Troxitazz - retired trader

Originally posted by Seraphael
    Nah, engies are just fine the way they are

Perhaps make the much talked about kamikaze robot into a low health thingie but with ranged attacks instead of pure melee, would that help the pvp aspect? Alternately, and probably more fitting with a "kamikazeish-theme", this bot should have uber nanoresist and speed, kinda like an enforcer with rage, and with melee attack only.

However, engies gotta give in some departments; they are great soloers and have superior tradeskills (would like to see engies get buffs to the mechanic/engineerish skills there). Your ranged skills in pistol, heavy weapons and grenades are cheap and there are good weapons implemented that cover these skills.
    1) Yes, we are great soloers...who the hell wants to wait 10 minutes for their bot to kill an ace?

2) Superior tradeskills...well first, traders have better tradeskills (funcom even said they were FIRST and engi's SECOND to them) and everything that can be made can be made by anyone in the game if they have the ip to spare.

3) First, I don't consider light blue 'cheap'. And please, there are NO good pistols or grenade launchers (no the OT12 isn't good imo). The only good weapons that have those skills have about 2 or 3 other dark blue skills we must raise.

Shot down

And like I said in my other post, ao is about choices, if I want to aim my engineer to be a combat engi (although it might mean giving up other things) I should.
    Fotik
    200 Clan Opifex Engineer
    Unit Commander of Storm

/me launches flares

No matter how much you question the use of the engineers almost unparalelled solo ability and tradeskills, the fact is that engineers DO have them. Though I would like to see more professions beefed up to a level where they can participate in pvp without embarassing themselves, any profession must be balanced between pvm, pvp and tradeskills. (I know traders might be an exception as they are superior in all aspects of the game, AO is definitely a work in progress)
    Seraphael - 200 fixer
    Pepzi - ** agent
    Troxitazz - retired trader

YOU have the ability to do tradeskills too. And like I said about soloing...would you want to wait by your bot (who doesn't hold aggro if you're in about 15m range by the way) while he chops away at an ace for 10 minutes? Sure we have the ABILITY but how good is it really? What good is ability if the skill isn't worth it? And by the way, mps and crats are much better soloing classes....and have the ability to dominate pvp.
    Fotik
    200 Clan Opifex Engineer
    Unit Commander of Storm

Originally posted by Fotik
    I don't get it...SOLDIERS get something before us. What the hell is wrong with you funcom? Not to belittle the soldiers' problems but come on! We're gimped 100x worse than soldiers and have been for much longer.
    Hey WTF is ur problem Soldiers and NT need love WAY before engis we're the only two professions that were constantly nerfed since the beginning and got nada from FC.
    Untill my prof get something after 1 year + of nerfs, im sorry but scr3w others

and if u wanted to pvp u should have chosen a MAIN attack class not a support class.... if else something is wrong is this game ( lol ... like anything is right anyway)

Yeah I kind of jumped the gun when I said that...but.....I do think that we are worse off than soldiers and nts right now. And I think MOST will agree. And did you even read my post? Let me repeat:

ao is about choices, if I want to aim my engineer to be a combat engi (although it might mean giving up other things) I should be able to. If ao was NOT about choices, all the heavy suppressors, flashpoint, etc. would have a soldier requirement slapped on them.
    Last edited by Fotik; Jul 14th, 2002 at 23:02:48.
    Fotik
    200 Clan Opifex Engineer
    Unit Commander of Storm

this is really sad :/

i'm gonna leave a game i love, just coz FC can't listen to these players :/, so sad =/

after lvl 150+, the most enjoyable thing is pvp, and what about being not able to do it ?

just kill and kill the same mobs for 50 more lvls with a pet stuck wondering at the door of every room and with crappy attak rating ?
    Killdarules / Bellgarath setup (dreamsetup (lol))

Band of Brothers

Achiever 73%
    Socializer 46%
    Killer 40%
    Explorer 40%

Ok I'm gonna use the same thing that has been said about soldiers for months.

Fotik is novice hence engies are uber! No need to fix them! Or maybe that isn't the case?
    phonokol - geremi - dousk - matica [apoc]

heh...well, like i said, you can pvp as an engineer with success ONLY if you have a nice set of bracers and equipment (which I do). And I lost novice for the 3rd time heheh
    Fotik
    200 Clan Opifex Engineer
    Unit Commander of Storm

you know engis and NT's are about the same on the gimp-o-meter... and i was watching the hi-res version of the intro for this game the other day and thinking, "wow, that must have taken a lot of work to make." If FC can put so much work into a cinema scene they can make 2 professions more balanced. And I'm sick of huddling behind the door while my bot takes [at least] 5 minutes to kill a mob and then i have to wait for it to recharge.... AARRG!

NTs? Yeah right... one root and bot threat is eliminated. And most likely the engineer is using MA since he is infact PvP'ing, so root him too and stand in the distance and fire off the nukes.

Yeah.... booohuuuu....NTs suck as much as engys.

No they dont! I point your attention to this poll.

And this is NOT turning into a "oh-we-cant-kill-anyone" NT thread, so please make another thread for that. The engineer is at the bottom of the food chain in PvP, so to speak. Undisbutable!

Fotik mentiones bracers and equipment. However, if the ones you are fighting have the same equipment, you are dead.
    Last edited by Octo; Jul 15th, 2002 at 08:13:15.
    Octo - eqp

Atlanteans Legendary Teddybear wielding engineer and author of Click

Get the all new SK/XP Calculator and find out when you will DING!

ok i voted and i voted engis, but thats not my point. I know engis are gimped at pvp and they always were, now guess why i didnt make an engi...

Up again
    Octo - eqp

Atlanteans Legendary Teddybear wielding engineer and author of Click

Get the all new SK/XP Calculator and find out when you will DING!

Angry depressed

I dont know if im depressed or angry (or both?)

Im RL im an Engineer and I just love the idea of a pet bot running around and killing things. (god how i would love to turn one loose on my boss.)

I decided to ignore everyone who says the Engineer needs love as you will see people of all classes saying that the class they play is gimped. But jebus! my lv 85 Eng is total garbage. Ive been bent on creating a viable PvP Engineer but I'm quicking giving up hope.

1) The pet can be rooted easy, ie: I have never seen a person fail on a root attempt, have you? The Defensive trimmer either doesnt work, or its effect is so poor that you cant tell if it does anything. (isnt the fact that one cant tell if its bugged saying something about the quality of the product?)

2) On average, the pet does 200 points of damage, I could accept this if the pet was more a shield than a weapon, but its hard to hide behind a rooted bot.

3) I have 1 green weapon skill, pistol. Multiweild/fling/burst/auto/aimedshot... all dark blue. Makes a single pistol not very usefull. I dont have a problem with this as clearly, I'm to use my pet as my primary weapon, but see points 1 & 2... easy to stop and minimal damage when not stoped. (perhaps I should just use harsh language to kill a person?)

4) I have a few nanos that would be pretty nice if 1, they were not bugged, and 2, i could stack them.

Now, I dont really have a problem with needing help from other classes, this is a social game after all. But ever after the buffs, I'm still firmly in the range of 'pathetic'.

Let me put it another way: Think of the last person you killed in PvP. What class where they? Now then, if you HAD to win your next PvP and you got to pick between fighting them again or an Engineer, who would you pick? a Mill credits says your answer is the engineer, despite the fact that you just killed the other guy.

Try this: goto these two links. Then hit CTRL+F and type in Engineer.

http://www.anarchy-online.com/conten...e/wanted_omni/
    http://www.anarchy-online.com/conten...e/wanted_clan/

Did you find anything? Dont you think that with an average class there would be at least 1 entry out of the listed 40?

To prevent this from being a rant, I just have 1 simple question for anyone officially related to FC:
    Can you please list at least one (1) thing you plan to implement in the next patch that may change my view? If not, can you tell me why I'm wrong? I desperately want my opinion changed.
    RK2
    BigStupid
    ChasyLane

heres a way to change your opinion! play a agent, MP, trader, or doctor cause they rule! and the next patches are supposed to help the nano-techs, cause they are struggling too, so dont expect any help for a bit. And FC has said that engineers weren't meant to be a PVP class (i think). i got my engi to 42 and was like screw it, started a NT, and they may not be the best class but theres no bot gettin in the way, and i'm appreciated for my 10 second nuke that does a whole bunch damage.

PS- your pet should always be red to you. use implants, expertise, ask MP's for masteries, anything to get a better bot...
    i'm not saying you didn't do that but just in case....
    ehe sorry though no advice to make your engi better other than that.
    Spewing truth from every orifice.
    Fixanox - Member of Eternal Fury.
    Cronoco

Originally posted by Cronos

PS- your pet should always be red to you. use implants.
    Hard to do when a quality-level 200 slayerdroid is yellow to you.

wow man gratz for making it to level 191! ah if only i had that much endurance, but my ip was nothing, my bot cant keep up, eh.....glad you made it, maybe in about 2 years or so everything will be better but no one will be playing...then i'll come back and impress everybody left with my own level 200 engineer!

Various comments to stuff ppl have said

NPC bot MOB's have ranged attacks. While I've heard the crat thing was a mess, if the 'code monkeys' can do it right for a MOB they should be able to do it right for a pet.

I have the ability to be a brain surgeon. Doesnt mean it will be easy or the best thing for me to do. All classes can do tradeskills, but I only need 1 guess why you dont..... just because we're '#2 tradeskill d00d" doesnt automatically make it easy

Just because there are tittled engineers (gratz guys) doesnt mean it was easy, or that there are no problems with engineers and pvp (I'm willing to guess that combat was the #1 consideration for implants and IP - most engineers dont go this route (until the IPR came out) since they startthe character believing they can actually 'do' engineering in the game). I can only think of 4 engineers that actively PvP, and I think only 3 are titted. Just look at the 'most wanted' lists...see any engineers?

There is a reason for this

Yeah soldiers etc may _also_ need fixing. Just coz we aint been nerfed dont mean we're a lower priority. The only reason we havent been nerfed is we really cant get any worse!
    Dont you think I look like Geordie from Star Trek?
    <-----------------------------------------------------------
    Actually I look more of a cross between him and Picard don't I?

Re: E N G I N E E R

Originally posted by max-iic

EVEN that is not true since 14.2 and OE rules (orange pet and no slayer before lvl 140)

I used Guardian at lv 135 and I did not need mochams or infuses to keep it active.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast