Thread: Totally Non-AO related (Lewis v. Tyson)

Totally Non-AO related (Lewis v. Tyson)

Okay, I just got done watching Lenox Lewis fight Mike Tyson, I mean if thats what you want to call it....
    Besides the first round, Mike Tyson did jacksh*t, he just sat there much like Holyfield did and got his ass kicked, finally getting knocked out in the 8th, it truly was sad.
    Now lets do some backtracking...
    Ok, If Mike and Lenox would have fought back in the late late 80s or early 90s, Tyson would have f*cked his world up..no doubt
    BUT, with Tysons trainer dying in 1985, and him leaving the Catskills Boxing Association and going out on his own, power tripping on his millions, fine ass wife, and media hype that rivaled Ali, its no wonder he got his ass knocked out in Japan by Buster Douglas...and when his wife left him , followed shortly by his **** charges that led to jail time, its no wonder this pycho orphan lost all touch with reality and focus on boxing.
    Originally lewis and tyson was supposed to take place about the time tyson v. douglas took place, but it didn't, b/c lewis got a fluke punch landed on him by Oliver McCall, in which he avenged the loss months later by making McCall cry and give up lol.
    Now back then that would have been the fight to almost end all fights, at least that had occured w/in 20 years(maybe besides sugar ray leonard and roberto duran the 'no mas' fight.
    But instead, lenox got denied his right to fight tyson and the rest is history.
    Ok, now in the mid-90s Tyson gets out of jail, he's found Ala or some **** and claims to be a born again Muslim, ok thats great, probably did some reading, or well probably not reading, but compied Ali, and figured the rest would fall into place...it didn't.
    It is clear that Tyson has never, and with his age now, will never be the same boxer he once was...It is very very sad, to the point of being pitiful. He was one of the greatest boxers of all time...hands down
    He was at his prime at age 19!!!! And holds the record for most concecutive(starting out) ko's, he beat Rocky Marcianos record of 16, tyson has 17. He killed everyone...EVERYONE, and you may say there was nobody around then, that is arguable, but he didn't just beat them, it destroyed the guys, that hasn't been done, and even not as well, since Rocky Marciano, Sunny Liston, and George Foreman.
    On the other hand, Lewis beat everyone too, taking the KO route much like Tyson did, he now has 40 wins, 31 by KO. and every defeat he ever had he avenged, with vigor!!
    The fight tonight was proof positive that Lewis, unlike Tyson, matured with age, and became a boxer of legendary status, where Tyson just lived off his name, still possesing though the unbelievable punching power that , in my opinion, has ever existed. Most everyone hates Tyson, and could give a f*ck about what went down tonight, i don't blame you, beats watching the sh*tty nba finals, but this truly was a bad night for boxing, the match wasn't even close, it was just embarrasing.
    I do, in Tysons defense, believe he should have fought at least 2-4 more fights, before attempting this. He said, after the fight, he feared he wouldn't get the opprotunity if he waited, and I agree.
    Mike Tyson is an individual that never had played with a full deck of cards, he was an orphan that was beat his whole like, and we shouldn't feel sorry forhim, but he lost in grace, admitting lewis' greatness and giving him total respect, most didn't know they sparred for a week when they were both 15 years old, so they go way back, and even Lewis said Tyson was / used to be the man that ruled the planet and peaked at 19, but that he aged like a fine wine and became the dominant one in the long run.
    In closing all I'd like to say is that it is a true shame that a fighter of Mike Tysons calibur was defeated so easily in what was supposed to be a great fight, that just happen to occur about a decade late. I don't know if any of you watch boxing, or keep up with it, but if you know the sport , then you know that Tyson was one of / and arguably the best of all time(in his prime) but that is comparing apples and oranges(tyson...ali) and nobody will ever agree on that, not to mention the many others in different weight classes. I hope, age permitting, in like 2-3 years, they have a rematch, and Tyson comes back more prepared, but I fear the legacy of Mike Tyson ended tonight in the worst possible way that it could, in shame. Even though Tyson is a dangerous person, and really shouldn't be fighting(he isn't mentally there or focused) it would be a great thing if he could, just one more time, get his sh*t straight and bring something real to the ring for Lewis to fight....I hope I get my wish..thanks for reading

I saw the fight too

Sorry Icon, I didn't read your whole post :-( . I watched the fight too. I never thought it was going to last that long I thought Mike was going to knock Lewis's ass out in 3 rounds or so. I must admit I don't know a whole lot about boxing but I never thought I'd see the day where Iron Mike was flat on his back. What made it worse for me was after the fight when they were being interviewed Mike tried to thank Lenox for the opportunity (which was nice) but I did not like the little bit about the payday being good too. It made Mike sound like he was down and out and needed the money to top it off he asked no less than three times after that to be allowed to fight him again. At that point I really wasn't sure whether he wanted an earnest shot at the title again or just more "payday" I was very dissapoiunted alltogether.

Helios813

Lewis rules! Biggup kitchener waterloo!!!!
    Rookie Jiggamonkey - 162 Soldier
    Proud member of the MoK
    Proudly Canadian... the land of beer hockey and beavers