Thread: Is there a stroy anymore?

Is there a story anymore?

I am new to the game and I just finished reading "Prophet without Honour".

Is there a story anymore?

Are there any in game events that will push the story along?

I had read, and one of the reasons I joined, wash that AO, has an ongoing in depth story to it spanning several years....

I have read a few posts, but the all seem to be form 2001
    Last edited by 8man2k; Jun 5th, 2002 at 18:21:35.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

There's no story anymore right now.

The ingame story started with some Pumpkinheads I never got the background on and I've never seen since.

We were treated to a small essay written as a dialogue between a father and son Cyborg duo who are working on some sort of super Cyborg and we got to see the hideout where they do their dirty work.

When last we visited the Story: Phillip Ross and Henry Radiman were negotiating, we were exposed to infiltrators high in Omni-Tek's ranks involved in some sort of cloning plot, Eleena Oak, a Council of Truth member, was wandering around up in Mort and was being tailed by another CoT member sent by Radiman.

Finally, we were given glimpses of an apparently powerful stranger who has been given orders by an even more powerful stranger (who we now know is a member of the Dust Brigade owing to his headgear) to do some dirty work.

The Dust Brigade blew up an apartment complex in Omni-1 and Ross and Radiman had to postpone their 'chess match'.

Then everything came to a screeching halt.

Players make things up a bit. A lot is inconsistent with the Official story, but some of it is actually pretty good. However, most of it is just a bit of fun the players are having to fill the void left by the lack of any plot movements. The majority involves Clanners launching terrorist attacks on Omni positions. Some makes a bit more sense. But, very little moves the plot.

There are FunCom run events here and there. But, swim contests and cocktail parties don't advance the story aside from the Dust Brigade reinforcing the fact that they are some sort of bad men. They are increasing in quality as of late as the Ark staff becomes more experienced and the less dedicated and talented drop out (my guess).

It's still next to impossible to get a statement out of a Story Character. Practically none of the movers and shakers in the storyline has been seen or heard in months.

A few E3 interviews indicate that a lot of the backstory will be fed into NPC's so that players can get more history about the planet. This is a much welcomed consideration.

The only thing we've heard nothing on is when the story will start moving again.

Originally posted by Bionitrous
    Eleena Oak, a Council of Truth member, was wandering around up in Mort and was being tailed by another CoT member sent by Radiman.
    Ok, first of all, Elena Oak are a smuggler and a small criminal. She is NOT a member of the council (dont trust the manual) Kahn is not a member of the Council, he work with them.

And no, there is a story... But it seems like Funcom cant seem to find out where they put it :P
    "It's your life. Keep it up! Keep it real!"

Yeah, I trusted the manual on that one. I was wondering how Eleena got on the Council of Truth without being the leader of a Clan.

As for being a smuggler, they got a couple Clans that openly profess to engage in terrorism to advance their ideals. Are they allowed seats on the Council of Truth?

Besides the Story having gone into remission, there are quite a few inconsistencies. We have a signed document that declares the end of a great civil war and then just a day ago we have a player group attacking the Notum Cannons in Clon**** for some bizarre purpose.

Not blaming the players on that last one as the Story team has given them nothing to work with. Might as well attack the guards in Newland again and write a submittal for the website again.

It's funny y'all mention Elena and Kahn.

I have always wondered why Elena and Kahn did not seem to know each other in the first movie. As Bionitrous pointed out according to the bio's in the manual both were members of the Council of Truth and fought on the same side during the war against Omni. Even stranger is the way Elena was portrayed throught the movie series as being sort of scatterbrained and confused. While her bio says she is an accomplished trader and a clever military tactician. About the only thing that jives between the movies and the manual bio's is the father/daughter relationship between Elena and Henry.

The other funny thing is I always figured the female character in the games intro movie was Elena. But, that person and the Elena from the movies that came after release are portrayed so differently that they could not possably be the same person.

Anyway just some things I have been wondering about since release.

As far as player events taking place within the context of the storyline. I can't see how anyone can blame players (And no, I don't believe that Bionitrous is blaming anyone) for not acting within the story line when Funcom cannot even seem to make up thier mind on what the storyline is. As Arila pointed out the manual contradicts the movies, and many of the in game events, time line, and other things from Funcom also contradict each other. How is a player supposed to know what not to do?