Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is tonight's Trial for real?

Re: Re: Re: After reading the logs...

Originally posted by Scorus
    And the judge their should have had the authority to instantly levy contempt of court fines! I mean instantly, where hte player actually sees 25K credits disappear from their account for a first offense. It was a courtroom, for God's sake!
    I personally don't trust any player to be acutely fair and judicial, nor to have the authority to instantly deduct credits from any player they wish. With all of Funcom's muddy programming, no doubt there would be problems, errors and new exploits & bugs created. There's no way Funcom would ever allow a player to have such administrator/game-master abilites if they had any common sense.

Courtroom? Looked more like a mission room with a bunch of /SHOUTing people to me.

Unhappy

yeah... it was a bit sad. I was confused as to why some people were there... I heard one person say:

"Hey Podoman, wanna make out"

and other lines like that that had nothing to do with what was going on...

Others were shouting profanities at Funcom and their Devs...

GM's need to be more forceful...

WHAT REALLY ticked me off was how none of these people got detained and kicked out....and then to take it a step further... immediately following the trial... anyone who was still in the room started to be detained and I found myself on top of a volcano in a 25% zone... having not shouted out the whole trial and for absolutely no reason... In fact as was casually walking out when I was suddenly detained. The people I was with were detained to Harrys and Lush.... and I was detained somewhere where the best solution was /terminate... that's quite unfair for me who respected the trial and was on my way out at the end when it happened.

WHY WOULD GM'S ACT LIKE THIS??? Don't detain the people being azzez OOC in the trial and detain someone who said nothing and was quietly walking out. And I was Omni and invited in... so there really was no reason to detain me!!! FUNCOM I WANT ANSWERS!!!!!

I thought the event was a tad boring. Could have been better with a monster attack or an execution or something.
    "By the way, if anyone here is in marketing or advertising: kill yourself." --Bill Hicks
    "Have we turned into gerbils? People are paying money to walk up invisible steps over and over again." --Dennis Leary

Unhappy get used to events like this

Its kinda silly blaming funcom or DC for things that were wrong with the event. They tried to put together a unique and potenially fun event and we the community ruined it. Anytime who have an event that is open to the entire community your gonna get a healthy mix of the serious role-players and the childish gits. Its the nature of the community.
    There is no reason to force people to RP but there should be some level of courtesy expressed to those trying to provide us with an event. Is it too much to ask for people to sit quietly and watch something for a little while, instead of jumping around and shouting asinine coments to their friends.
    Lag should have been expected and in my opinion was tolerable. What was intolerable (nand the reason I walked out) were all of the obnoxious childish people in the peanut galley that couldn't help but draw some attention their way.
    Noone Should be banned from the game but perhaps removed from any further events. But until someone comes up with a way to hold public events minus the OOC troublemakers (and no having an obnoxious ******* for a character doesn't mean you can disrupt events freely) we had all better buckle down for more ruined events like this.
    The community screams for over lack of events then does its best to ruin them.

Kudos to the people who organized this event. You tried.

Re: get used to events like this

Originally posted by FakoNamo
    Anytime who have an event that is open to the entire community your gonna get a healthy mix of the serious role-players and the childish gits.
    See, this is where it all starts. This just leads to animosity between RPers and non-RPers, classic UO problems.

I know plenty of RPers that are childish gits. And I know plenty of non-RPers that are not.

Just be a little more careful with how you separate out the groups is all I ask. Last thing this game needs is more player animosity and segregation.

Originally posted by Xombie
    I thought the event was a tad boring. Could have been better with a monster attack or an execution or something.
    In the only highlight of the evening, Colonel Frank Kaehler provided a little action

Ironically, he probably would've been the best role-player had he actually testified.
    -Cheddar-

Some free advice
    Don't beg. It makes you look like a beggar.

I gree with you zeroframerate. Guess what I should have said was: players willing to be serious or atleast not simply foolish when attending an event setup to provide the community with a little content. I didn't mean to draw a distinction between the RPers and Non-RPs, but rather between the couteous and asinine.
    I guess that it has been my experience that players who make a serious attempt to RP a character usually dont jump around and shout during a trial, meeting or what have you. I dont know if the annoying folks from last night RP or not, but I do know that they made an attempt to disrupt the proceedings, mostly OOC.

We all play this game for fun and I just hate it when people ruin parts of it simply because they can.

Re: get used to events like this

Originally posted by FakoNamo
    Its kinda silly blaming funcom or DC for things that were wrong with the event. They tried to put together a unique and potenially fun event and we the community ruined it.
    But why weren't those things anticipated. Players have done this in every event, why did Funcom not realize it would happen there and set down some rules. "Attention, this is a court of law and anyone showing any disrespect to the court whatsoever will be removed and fined." Plus I have no idea why the GMs weren't cracking down on all the OOC insults. Those are the kinds of things that we are supposed to report and yet GMs let it happen right under their noses and do nothing about it.

The community ruined it, but part of Funcom's job is to protect the community. They, and Omni IC, had an opportunity to set and enforce reasonable rules of conduct. This was just a lack of preparedness.

And Truwind's defense was actually interesting. Funcom/Omni really need to spell out what an amnesty is, what a ceasefire is, where we can find their rules so we know if they are breaking them or not, what the ICC contract says and doesn't say, etc. Truwind and Aberic's conduct and statements quite obviously cannot be excused by this lack of information, but it points out how much of the background is really lacking.

Scorus

There was NO defence. What was done was done. He addmited it.

The actions were a direct attack on not only the clans but Omni as Radiman was invited by Ross and protected by omni personel.

After reading the logs I see what a waste of time it was with anyone shouting out whatever they wanted. Funcom need to find a way to stop this.

Don't get me wrong I think this was a brilliant idea it shows the players can make an impact but why do we have to ruin the result?
    Last edited by Brigson; Dec 9th, 2001 at 19:59:04.

My thoughts

This was the FIRST event I managed to attend and I must say it was a horrible MESS. I first crashed continously for half an hour leaving me unable to log back on as my character. When I finally managed to get back on it was a shouting contest between a small group of rather immature players. The punishment was a much too light and there was no real lasting consequence.

Oh, and at the end of the trial/event there is always the customary free for all brawl of killing everyone that shows up on the TAB key. A nanotech did an area attack and killed a neutral, then everything went south from there as roots, snares, guns, nukes started flying.

I hope the TAG sponsored press conference this weekend would be better and no more "assassins" will show up to try and kill the event characters.
    Charles 'Kithrak' Houston - Equipment
    Administrator, Omni-Admin
    Bringing the politics of Rubi-Ka to life!

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche-

"By denying support to the possibility of peace, the Council of Truth is guranteeing an outcome of war."-Administrator Houston-

Re: My thoughts

Originally posted by Charles
    I hope the TAG sponsored press conference this weekend would be better and no more "assassins" will show up to try and kill the event characters.
    Why would they not? Funcom showed that they have no interest in maintaining order, even when players violate their rules right in front of them (harrassing language). Omni showed that they will slap you on the wrist if you admit it. If they had said it wasn't them then they would probably have been fine.

I saw no consequences.

Scorus

well, the GM:s should ofcourse react to those shouting, and general disturbs the order, but not those using "harasing language" since its a fine line between harasing and harsh roleplaying...and we do NOT want GM:s to control our acting.
    Father Chagidiel
    High priest in The Church of OmniTek

Hello people. The "infamous" hated lawyer here. (Lowburn you swine! hehe, j/k)

The solution for an event of this magnitude is very simple.

Create a chat channel and give access to only those that are ACTUALLY in the event.

Sure, you can hold it whereever you want - however you want, but that channel can then drown out the ooc's and the baloney shouting that was going on.

ALSO, if you create such a chat channel - people all over Rubi-Ka can tune into the channel to listen to the reports - or the trial - or whatever it is.

Of course, that would defeat the purpose of this event - to convict Truwind and Aberic and permit that half cocked jackass reporter from spewing his lies.

-Machievelli
    Minister of Propaganda
    The Thirteen

p.s. Lowburn, I hate lawyers too - even though I am one
    p.p.s. Aberic is a prophet.

Lightbulb Dear Lowburn,

Neutrals are not nobodies...I do not feel stripped, I am not an outcast, I am no better or worse than anyone else. Neutrality is not gulag, it is not exile. I am not untouchable, and I do not need pity. It's ATTITUDE.

...And I am most CERTAINLY not alone... *smiles...looks up*
    "Ignorance is the greatest evil we will ever face" . -Dr. James Cone, ca 1990 CE

Available for Weddings, Mediations, Treaties, Celebrations, and Hugs...
    Neutrals come join #neutrality on irc.funcom.com! Everyone welcome.
    Counseling available by appointment-Priestess Cathryn Ardman
    Cat's Closet

Favourite Chat Colours: 250 200 250, try it!
    I am an adventurer, of COURSE I like going camping! :P

Neutrals aren't a faction, they are just people who live on a planet. Thus making someone a neutral is the equivilant of taking away their assosiation with a faction, they no longer have the authority to speak for Omni-Tek or Clans, they are just a person living on a planet now.

Originally posted by Lowburn
    Neutrals aren't a faction, they are just people who live on a planet. Thus making someone a neutral is the equivilant of taking away their assosiation with a faction, they no longer have the authority to speak for Omni-Tek or Clans, they are just a person living on a planet now.
    More precisely they are convicted felons who are still allowed to roam free on the planet.

Scorus

Disruptive people huh?

Everyone keeps talking about people talking in OOC and being disruptive and such, here's an idea (and just an idea so don't critisize it to your heart's content please) that just poped up in my head to make things alittle easier than having to detain people and throw them in random playing fields. Give them their own little GM nano that will "mute" people for like 30 min, an hour, or until they leave the room or something like that, that way it shuts the person(s) up. That way anyone who RPs can still do their thing and the other people still get to stay and watch.

So that's just my idea.....

You know, while I'm here I might as well get at something else that's been annoying me. I've heard a few people post that Aberic or Truwind or who ever else was involved should get "life imprisonment". That's just an outrageious punishment, they are players just like you and me and well into the 100's might I add. So you see, they have spent alot of time on their characters and if they got life imprisonment heck they might as well delete they're characters and leave AO all together. That's alot of work and to loose it so easily just wouldn't be fair.....

Alright, that's all I've got to say for now, laaaaaate!
    "When in doubt... explode" - me
    "Keep your friends close, but keep your enemies even closer." - I have no idea
    "People disagree with me. I just ignore them." - Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel
    "Join the army, travel the world, meet new interesting people and kill them."
    "If it looks easy, it's tough. If it looks tough, it's damn well impossible." - Stockmayer's Theorem
    "It's not the fall that kills you, it's the landing." - IRuleThe.net

Unhappy sigh

Originally posted by Scorus

More precisely they are convicted felons who are still allowed to roam free on the planet.

Scorus
    What then is my sentence? What am I guilty of?

I refuse to fault anyone who joins any group for any reason, but if you must criticize what you do not know, so be it. Those I call my friends (on BOTH sides of the conflict) do not seem to care, they only care about ME. Are you afraid because neutrals choose to live outside the scope of order? Life as a neutral is NOT Chaos. It is a choice after all, as much as yours is to stay where you are, or to move. Convicted? Yes, but not a convict. Free, yes. But then, "freedom is just another word, for nothing left to lose", so maybe you are onto something... *grin*

"Ignorance is the greatest evil in society" -Dr. James Cone
    "Ignorance is the greatest evil we will ever face" . -Dr. James Cone, ca 1990 CE

Cat's Closet

Re: sigh

Originally posted by Cat
    What then is my sentence? What am I guilty of?
    Sorry, I was referring to the newly minted neutral: Aberic. My bad. I remember from the manuals that most of the convicted felons are now in Omni-Pol.

And, I gather, he is back in Omni now anyway.

Scorus

Smile Thank you Scorus

Thank you Scorus

Cat's Closet

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast