Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is tonight's Trial for real?

Is tonight's Trial for real?

All,

AO Basher has a report that there will be a trial of Aberic and Truwind tonight, can anyone (including, preferably, Funcom) confirm that? As I've said all along, this trial is necessary both for Omni to continue to preach peace with the clans and for Funcom to show that player actions have consequences.

Scorus

Thpt! What did they do wrong? I think taking out Radish-man was the coolest ship that happened in this game so far. Now, if only TBA could take out the judges too!

Marquis "Avedis" Gaviglia
    Level 96 Soldier
    Omni-Tek
    Not in any TBA guild, but I gotta say they're my kind of people!

Since the Trial has also been announced on the Funcom news site, yes, I'd say it's official.

Been speculated that they might find themselves kicked out of Omni, and unable to rejoin it.

Amazing thought, right? Actual *consequences* for acting like terrorists/criminals.

No telling what will actually happen, though.

Any punishment short of life imprisonment will be seen as a decision on Omni's part to not take peace very seriously. If the rumors are true, this was more than an attempt to send Radiman to his reclaim terminal, this was about final death. To merely strip them of citizenship would be giving free rein to terrorism in Omni cities and sending a clear signal that following Ross' orders is entirely optional.

Cervantes
    Clan Diplomat

Red face Finally

Certainly sounds exciting. It's about time players like Abe and Tru stepped up to the plate and advanced the otherwise dead storyline.

The storyline is the epitome of lameness. Pity other guilds don't get off their butts and make some fun happen.
    -Cheddar-

Some free advice
    Don't beg. It makes you look like a beggar.

They forgot to post in the news article:

"Any Neutral attempting to attend the trial will be promptly killed on sight"

It's high time Omni and Clan start looking at neutrals as potential recruits, rather than targets.

The main reason Kaerem has never joined Clan or Omni is that he has NEVER been recruited. Not even once, even by the people whose ass he has saved.

Sigh.

Kaerem,

Actually, I never recruit because I think the decision is too important for propaganda and pressure. If a neutral wants to talk about the benefits of clans or what my clan believes, then I'm very willing to talk. But I'm not going to play the Omni-Ent game of brainwashing and misinformation.

My clan believes in helping others, protecting innocents and working for democracy on Rubi-Ka. We are all for peace, though a long-term peace will require some concessions on the part of Omni that I'm not sure they will be willing or able to make (mostly involving the aforementioned democracy).

Give me a yell if you want to hear more and talk.

Cervantes
    Clan Diplomat
    RK-1

What would you think of it as a 'punishment' if criminals were stripped of all citizenship (not Omni, not Clan, not Neutral, and were KOS to ALL three sides' guards... even in 100% zones? Or just 75% zones?

'Neutral' isn't a side. Being stripped to neutral means being stripped to nothing. It's like just stepping onto the planet from a spaceship without knowing anyone - you're a nobody with no affiliation . :P

Tonights trial certainly brought out the best and worst in several people. I am just happy that the guild I am in, Dark Carnival, was able to bring together some roleplaying in what would otherwise have been just another night of hunting for all of us, guildies and non-guildies alike. =) I hope it'll inspire other guilds to pave out their own real stories so they too can see themselves that they CAN have an impact on what goes on. Live the adventure.

-Lowburn

"I am just happy that the guild I am in, Dark Carnival, was able to bring together some roleplaying in what would otherwise have been just another night of hunting for all of us, guildies and non-guildies alike"

Dark Carnival made themselves look like idiots at this event.

Many were booted for insulting other players and swearing, and Truwind made a fool of himself by squealing like a child "Wah wah wah, I think they are going to shut down my guild wah wah wah, im leaving ao now!"

What DC and Truwind did was nothign to be proud of.

I'm proud I have nothing to do with that guild. What happened tonight I feel is going to haunt DC for months to come.

Comments from all sides of DC seemed to reinforce their feelings of being "elite" and their inability to seperate roleplaying from out of character insulting.

Once the logs are posted I think you'll learn to hide from what happened here, instead of embracing it.

I hope no other guild follows suit and openly mocks the system, and it's participants. What occured was harassment, and I hope Funcom does not look away. Many people who attended were jerks, and really hurt what could have been the best roleplaying event we've had in AO.

I am trying hard to refrain from listing of the "idiots" at the event who were unable to restrain infantlike desires to call names and swear, but if Dc doesn't apologize soon it will be all I can do.

I haven't had any problem with you Lowburn, but quite a handful of DC members sure were synonyms for many of our favorite four letter words.

The few DC members at the trial really marred any reputation you might have had.

i cant wait till the transcipts are published to - so everyone sees what a joke the whole trial was.

-machievelli

Personally DC and me dont give a **** what you think.
    Truwind
    134th Doc
    Director of Dark Carnival
    Slayer of Snarf and his Merry men
    Destoyer of Destux and his gimps

Originally posted by CaptFallout
    I am trying hard to refrain from listing of the "idiots" at the event who were unable to restrain infantlike desires to call names and swear, but if Dc doesn't apologize soon it will be all I can do.
    I was at the supposed trial and I gotta say, damn that was probably the worst (and silliest) RP event I have ever been to.

But I see the fun continues with CaptFallout's ironic comment here as he was busy being infantile, calling names and swearing along with the rest.

What a fiasco.

Talking Interaction on the sharp end

Qudos to DC, Aberic and Truwind. (and of course to Funcom)

They have illustrated once and for all that AO is a milieu which reacts to player actions.

While my various in game characters may not in any way share the nihilistic and destructive politics of DC, their in-game activities and the manner in which Funcom has handled the situation has re-invigorated my faith in AO.

Bravo Aberic for being John Wilkes Booth (for whatever reason ...)
    Bravo Judge Bullert for whacking DC a massive fine, and throwing Aberic out of the Company.

It is truly refreshing to see this kind of interaction taking place.

But how will DC and, especially Aberic react?

I wait with bated breath...
    The Interactor

"If it was easy, then everyone would do it"

OOC comments on Event

From What i've read of the Trial, there were two main problems, The Death of the Server, and the number of idiots shouting, As those are both Funcoms Problems, its something they should address.

First Events should silence shouts or something, have People shouting kicked out or similar.

Second The servers need to be sorted out to avoid the problems that happened.

As for the Roleplaying, inbetween the rest of the Crap it was acceptable, but it was weakened by the server problems and shouting idiots.

But thats just my ten creds.

After reading the logs...

My feelings are as follows:

FC should next time put the following comment line at the end of their announcement:

[OCC NOTE]

Everyone who wishes to participate this event should act only in character. No OCC will be tolerated. If your only intention is to come here and ruin the event with your OOC speech please stay away. Also if you come, please act in mature manner and leave out all profonity etc. If you come and do OCC your character is banned for 2 weeks. Have a nice day.

Then about character actions:

Needlz
    You should have just avoided the whole meeting. Sheesh.

Truwind
    OMG. You had perfect opportunity to roleplay and you whine like a baby in OOC. This is my last night of AO etc crap. Good riddance, bye bye. Remember to close the door as you go. Sheesh. Dont EVER come to talk about doing this because you RP anything. You dont. The DC seems to have very high concentration of powerlevel whiners and well... I am glad to see quite few of the old DC'ers dont agree the "thing" that DC has become either.

Aberic
    Aberic came to me (first time I met him at HQ) as complete ass shouting anti clan comments etc BUT he was actually only one RP:ing there from the accused. Cudos to Aberic, your insanity defense was great and you acted well for the most parts. Great fun. Mebbe you being ass in the HQ was RP:ing that anti clan character too. Anyways good job.

EDIT: Added after posting this first time.

Judgement
    Some say the judgement was too light etc but I think they were quite good. Forcing Aberic to neutral (with chance to join clans but not Omni I hope?) was good call and quite harsh actually. I think there should be some way for him to "redeem" himself and to be able to join back to OT perhaps in 1 year time if he has been able to redeem himself (if he even wants).

Fine of 25M is candy money for guild of DC's "caliber" 250M would have been more approriate or even more. Perhaps total liquiditation of all assets (all bank balances, all bank equipment) would have been in order (really harsh though but nothing guild of that size couldnt overcome in a month or two).

Now I am eagerly waiting what happens in 5 days. Will Truwind come crawling and write that formal apology (well, there is a way to make it even with head held high with some inspired writing) or will the whole guild go neutral. That would be quite interesting option too. While I dont appreciate DC in anyway the fact is that they are powerful guild and being neutral would be real power to be recognized in neutral parties. Again a possibility for great roleplay in both choices....

Zarch and bunch of other chars.

PS. Sorry doing these "personal" attacks but that is just my opinion of you after reading the vicinity logs.
    Last edited by Zarch; Dec 5th, 2001 at 15:13:57.

Re: After reading the logs...

Originally posted by Zarch
    My feelings are as follows:

FC should next time put the following comment line at the end of their announcement:

[OCC NOTE]

Everyone who wishes to participate this event should act only in character. No OCC will be tolerated. If your only intention is to come here and ruin the event with your OOC speech please stay away. Also if you come, please act in mature manner and leave out all profonity etc. If you come and do OCC your character is banned for 2 weeks. Have a nice day.
    Ummm, don't you think that's a tad ridiculous considering folks pay to play the game and do not pay to attend these little events? It's easy to tender overly-harsh punishments when you think you're always going to be on the safe side.

OOC Re: Re: After reading the logs...

Originally posted by zeroframerate

Ummm, don't you think that's a tad ridiculous considering folks pay to play the game and do not pay to attend these little events? It's easy to tender overly-harsh punishments when you think you're always going to be on the safe side.
    I agree this is a Pay to play game, its unfortunate that some of the people playing would rather shout or mess around at these events, because in truth RolePlaying isn't for everyone. So what you need is a way to allow those to RP to RP and those to jump up and down and shout obscenities to do so in harmony.

So its simple, in Events where they don't want Jumping up and down or shouting, they stop those actions being available, or they kick the guilty players out of the room they are in I mean they had plenty of IC reasons to boot people out of the Trial.

Maybe that should be slipped into the next release. I think events are just an issue of control, a better way would be to give only a few people voice such as on IRC and IRC conferences. Funcom need to Control the Events, it might be called Anarchy Online but thats just the name.

Re: Re: After reading the logs...

Originally posted by zeroframerate

But the 14 year olds that showed up to shout were ruining it for the rest of the paying customers. Funcom has to start punishing them, though the punishments should be light for first offenders.

And the judge their should have had the authority to instantly levy contempt of court fines! I mean instantly, where hte player actually sees 25K credits disappear from their account for a first offense. It was a courtroom, for God's sake!

Funcom should have been prepared to punish for OOC and Omni should have been prepared to punish for IC transgressions. If they don't start, then they will lose their role-player base and be stuck with only the players that desire to sabotage any attempts at a storyline.

Scorus

EDIT: I just wanted to add: lawyers are still my most hated profession. =)

EDIT AGAIN: DAMN FORUM! I kill you for eating my post! Arrgh.
    Last edited by Lowburn; Dec 5th, 2001 at 16:29:46.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast