Thread: Why are Map Coordinates Backwards ?

Why are Map Coordinates Backwards ?

Anyone who has ever done map reading knows that coordinates are always given in Latitude then Longitude. For example, a location described as 500X3800 means Lat. 500 X Long. 3800. It's a convention which is taught universally, as far as I am aware. You want to find map coordinates, firstly you plot the latitide, then you look for the longitude.
    Its been done like this since before Christopher Columbus. so why is it that FC had decided that their maps should be the other way around.
    Funcom Co-ordinates are Logitude first, then Latitude. This means that, if you know anything at all about conventional navigation in real life, you actually have to force yourself to think backwards to find anywhere in the game.
    I dont think this is a RP thing. I think it's more probable that whoever wrote the AO map system never saw a real map in his life.
    SIsTeRs.oF.eVIL
    A band of psycho renegade techno-nun disco-enthusiasts, working on the extreme boundaries of respectable behaviour in OMNI INQUISITION.

Question

Lat x Long is for sea maps, on small scale land maps you actually use Long X Lat. (Ie E x N ). Strange but true... Also in a mathematical coordinate system you always give the X coord first then the Y coord ( long x lat). Since it is not much sailing done on Rubi-Ka the system at present is just fine. Mind you, this may be different for your country. Not a big problem anyway is it ?
    NT = Nerfed Technician

My doctor told me I am paranoid, so I shot him.

Obviously he was an alien agent sent here to kill me...and he did not come alone!

Exactly! I wonder which country is that

Lets be honest here...what do you want from a planet where the sun(s) rises in the north and sets in the south
    Zen~~'
    9/11/01

Well, the explanation i heard was that instead of thinking in terms of north-south / east-west, the devs instead used x,y coordinates. I you recall your math classes:

y
    |n
    |o
    |r
    |t
    |h
    |
    |
    |
    L___________east___x

x,y (east,north)

Therefore, the coordinates got "reversed"