Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Dust Brigade Attacks Omni-Med

Re: Quite agreed...

Originally posted by joshuacrime
    Although a neutral wouldn't necessarily think it is important, showing a hint of allegiance in some fashion is quite important to Clan people. Given the nature of the Neutral cities (more Omni there than Clan, and probably even Neutrals), it's quite reasonable to assume that the majority of Neutral symapthy in the conflict goes to the Omni more than it does the Clan. Using this as a guideline, it's also safe to assume that Omni-Tek gets quite a lot of useful intelligence from their Neutral friends (since you have access to both Omni and Clan communcation channels), far more than Clan does. I myself just this weekend caught a Neutral walking the fringes of a very heated tower war in the Clan areas, no doubt reporting numbers and ranks to the Omni's in the combat zone.
    The Omni presence in neutral cities is hardly a sign that we favor them. In case you haven't been keeping track of current events, Omni slaughtered a lot of innocent civilians in Borealis when some clans came to help prevent a Dust Brigade attack five months ago.

Where neutrals differ from clanners and Omni-tek is that we see it coming from both sides, and make efforts to remember which groups are hostile and which are not. Sided folks tend to avoid making distinctions like that, and make their own problems worse rather than better..

I also never cared for Clan organizations attacking Neutral notum tower areas, but again, I have seen Omni doing it as well, so we're not totally complicit here.
    What's interesting is I've seen clanners helping Omni attack neutrals, which brings me to the next point:

No, you'll not find any overwhelming allegience to the Sentinels in Clan circles, but then again, Simon Silverstone might be a complete bastard but he's a complete Clan bastard.
    Now, I'm not talking about Simon so much as this blind loyalty to anyone who claims to represent the clans. Refer to the example I gave above: A few clanners were stirring up trouble with neutrals and actually working with Omni forces to do so. If you think so many neutrals are deep in Omni's pockets, then what about these clanners? Are you willing to defend someone who claims to be a clanner even when he is openly working for Omni-tek?
    Last edited by Keldros; Jun 9th, 2004 at 09:01:42.

That's a big problem with this whole "factional" organization with respect to Neutral

Where do you stand and where are you counted? Every Neutral for the most part is a peaceful citizen of Rubi-Ka and the Shadowlands just trying to eke out a life amongst the harsh environs that is this big ugly lug of a planet I call my own.

But, where do your philosophies about the political structures rest? In my field of view, what Neutral is to me is someone that wishes to conduct their lives and commerce in peace without dealing with the war that has gone on for far too long as it is.

But, the simple distinction that entails is anything but simple. Remember, Clan was created to combat Omni-Tek's deplorable treatment of mining workers and their subsequent brutal repression for protesting that same behaviour by the Corporation. Find yourself on one side of the fight or the other, and you got yclept with these monikers, Clan or Omni. Certainly and rightly so.

For those of you that didn't, you are all declared "Neutral" and by that, you are described as "not involving yourselves with the current political, economic and social conflict" currently being waged between Omni-Tek and the Clans.

That is hardly an apt description, as the Neutrals are truly the most dangerous faction of them all with respect to stability. We all know that some Neutral organizations on Rubi-Ka sometimes "favor" one side of the war, although they aren't "personally" involved. Or are they?

Neutrals tend to go where one side or the other congregates, and tends to fight along side Clan or Omni factions to obtain new equipment, nanoprograms, etc. Maybe not the majority, but I know some Neutral orgs that deliberately assist one side of the other in the conflict. Which side do they pick to help?

Usually, it's whatever side that has "helped" them in the past, or hasn't abused and belittled them for not belonging to one side or the other. That person is a loose cannon and cannot be accounted for. In a 2 way fight, the armed 3rd person standing off to the side is just as dangerous as your enemy, psychologically if nothing else. Neither of the combatants can trust the 3rd party for fear that he will either help the enemy or wait until one kills the other and kill the remaining warrior. Either way, it's not something I wish to see, and therefore it behooves the 2 combatants to kill the 3rd party before he becomes a threat to either of them. Human history is loaded with examples of this, so it's not something that is very new.

How does one reconcile the economic impact of the Neutrals doing business with one side of the conflict in imbalance of helping or hindering the other side? It's not possible. In most wars, civil or not, there have been a most unscrupulous lot, known as black marketeers, that sell and buy goods illegally obtained during fighting or thievery. They often inflate the value of their goods to ridiculous amounts and insure that the only source of those goods is the black marketeers themselves.

Now, I'm not saying that Neutrals are all like this, in fact, most of them aren't. Trouble is, how can we tell the difference since you have no affiliation? Your goal is to make money, and war profiteers that aren't involved in one side or the other don't exactly thrill me or garner any respect. I may have a severe dislike for most Omni fighters I meet due to their arrogance, insolent attitudes and the ease through which they go through their lives tied to the Corporation as they are. But you can bet I have a respect for the individuals as I meet them, provided they acquit themselves with honor and decency.

Can't say as I have as much respect for the Neutrals. At some point, you make a stand. Big business and it's impact on our quality of life, or freedom of the individual and damn the profits. It's there, and the causes are both just (to their own points of view). But a side one must take.
    -----------------------------------
    The few, the proud...the Traders.

Maartens - 220 Mogul and former gadfly of Rimor. Now I'm just a major n00b.

In defeat, malice. In victory, revenge!

Re: That's a big problem with this whole "factional" organization with respect to Neutral

Can't say as I have as much respect for the Neutrals.
    Your loss.

At some point, you make a stand. Big business and it's impact on our quality of life, or freedom of the individual and damn the profits. It's there, and the causes are both just (to their own points of view). But a side one must take.
    Utter nonsense. This conflcit has been running on and off for over two centuries and nobody even knows what its really about anymore. You ask Clanners, they'll tell you they fight to defend their homes and families from Omni aggression. You ask an Omni, they'll tell you they fightto defend their homes and families from Clan aggression. We are locked in a stupid, viscous circle neither side has the courage to break. And on thise rare occasion someone does try, as Ross did with the Amensty, the Dust Brigade promptly appears to mess things up.

Given this context, doesn't not taking part in the conflict seem the only sane and morally sound course of action?

Savoy
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Bottom line is there are Omni employees publically striving for peace and there have been as of yet zero Clanners that I can recall within the last three years that have done the same(of their own accord). Do the rest of Rubi-Ka a favor and ask the common Omni employee and Neutral citizen if they really want to be 'liberated' with Clanner Brand™ Freedom.
    Charles 'Kithrak' Houston - Equipment
    Administrator, Omni-Admin
    Bringing the politics of Rubi-Ka to life!

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche-

"By denying support to the possibility of peace, the Council of Truth is guranteeing an outcome of war."-Administrator Houston-

Originally posted by Kithrak
    Bottom line is there are Omni employees publically striving for peace and there have been as of yet zero Clanners that I can recall within the last three years that have done the same(of their own accord). Do the rest of Rubi-Ka a favor and ask the common Omni employee and Neutral citizen if they really want to be 'liberated' with Clanner Brand™ Freedom.
    *Chuckles to himself and shakes his head, taking one last puff of his cigerette and dropping it to the ground.*

Yeah, but you forget a few things. One of which, this war isnt really about polatics anymore... Ive yet to see any political reasons why the clans, or omni tech should even be fighting to begin with. And the neutrals? Hell they should have never been asked to choose a side in such a foolish war in the first place, and they sure as **** shouldnt have taken the flak they did, just because they didnt want to pick up arms and shoot at someone they didnt even know.

Nope... This war for the most part is about business... Ya got one side who damn near controls every arms distrobution company on the planet... And ya got another side who thinks that its a good idea to equip every man, woman, and child with a gun to 'protect' themselves... Then you got the big hypercorperations that decide that they have the biggest cojones so they bully around everyone on the planet like its their own.. Then ya got guys like me. No matter which way you swing that bad of yours its just more profitable to keep up the fighting.

The entire economy of this planet is based on a nearly neverending war with the other side... Even the neutrals profit from this, after all it is they whom take goods from one side and bring them to another so frequently isnt it? Sure its harmless being a trader, your not hurting anyone... Until that Division 9 winds up capping the head of some young kid whos barely old enough to drink.

My business is very profitable while this wars going on, and I have no reason to want it to end anytime soon. Though its kinda foolish to me to see you all squabbling over these wars of words every time theres something important going on... Hell at this rate aliens could invade the planet and youd all be caught up in yelling at each other like they had some kind of control over it.

*Shrugs and stomps out the cigerette and pulls his cloak back over his head* Guess thats the 'price' of freedom during these days of peace, huh?...
    Last edited by Krayve; Jun 14th, 2004 at 10:41:31.

Originally posted by Kithrak
    GSP is Clan. They promote a brand of peace one could say.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

This war is not about keeping the war going for profit

No one profits in that, except the arms dealers. Since none of us here are those, none of us here profits. We all just bodies in the grist mill for the corporations that keep RK supplied with arms and ammunition. But of course, Clan's need guns, or Omni-Tek would have a monopoly of force, and that would create their perfect little snack-pack world where we all worship the almighty Ross in our filthy cities.

No, this is an ideological war now. The reasons for it beginning are long gone in the mists of time, but we can go back to them from time to time to illustrate how we did get here. The Clan idealogues (myself included) value the freedom of the individual and the rights of every sentient being on this planet, human or not.

Why does Clan have a beef with Omni-TeK? Because their ethos is antithetical to Clan, which is a totalitarian commerce system. Why do we have a beef with neutrals? Because they just want to profit off of our blood and reap the advantages of whoever is left over. Bah humbug.

That distinction is why the war continues. Because Omni-Tek thinks itself a government and a business, and Clan wishes no truck with that. We'll govern ourselves, thank you, and the business can remain seperate. Think about it from that perspective, and you'll begin to understand.

Re: This war is not about keeping the war going for profit

No, this is an ideological war now. The reasons for it beginning are long gone in the mists of time, but we can go back to them from time to time to illustrate how we did get here. The Clan idealogues (myself included) value the freedom of the individual and the rights of every sentient being on this planet, human or not.

Is that so? I've seen Clanners doing horrible, horrible things to the Rhinomen, hunting them down in their settlements. I've also seen them attack the Yuttos village in the Wailing Wastes. How does that reflect the Clans's respect for the rights of every sentient being on this planet?

There is no one Clan idealogy aiming for all sort different, incompatible things. Lets face it, if it were up the Eco Warrior Clan, one of the original Clans, no one would be allowed on Rubi-Ka, neither Omni or Clan!

Savoy

Oh, let's all hug a leet

Now, when I refer to "sentient" beings I am most assuredly referring to humans and humanoid offshoots, namely Homo Nano, Atrox and Opifex. The business of being a druid in this day and age is laughable, and if the Eco Warriors wish to pursue such a hollow and illogical path for themselves, be my guest. They have neither the power, political will or moral authority to do so.

We are not going to turn this into a Socioanthropology lesson, suffice it to say that the dominant species rises to the top of the food chain. All others must make room or be pushed aside. The Rhinomen will not make the grade because they are not intelligent enough to be a dominant race. Certainly they are social, tribal housedwellers. But do not mistake them for a "sentient" race any more than the Oozelurkers and their ilk are.

And I'm not saying we shouldn't be careful stewards of our fair and native land, but to say that no one but Nature should exist on a planet and all humankind should be removed is beyond radical. We don't all agree with you, so how do you make your agenda come to life? Kill us all? Be careful of manifestos. Some of us know what a manifesto is FOR and will take action to insure that they are not carried out.

The idea of an OMNI telling me that Clan is so terrible to the environment in the first place almost made me spit my coffee across my desk.

Now, when I fly over those majestic places in Omni territory where it looks like a meteorite hit it, like the old mining zones where the land will NEVER recover from what you have done to it, or those areas where the massdrivers are located, or any number of places where the corporation has sunk its fangs into this world and sucked it dry, I'm thinking...oh yeah, Omni-Tek, responsible conserver of nature. Excuse me for a moment while I recover from my 20 minute gutlaugh.

I have no desire either to turn this into a socioanthropology lesson, but you raised the issue about Clan's respect for the rights of all sentient beings, and I simply disproved it.

Rhinomen are tool users and have a written language. That makes them sentient and not just animals to be hunted. And anyone who has been in the in the Shadowlands will realise that the Yuttos are an intelligent species.

You will also find many Clanners have no respect for the rights of Neutrals. Are they not sentient either by your definition?

Savoy

Hmmn...

Know what joshua, I can see the way you think now.

I think many could see this as an ideological war, yeah sure, whatever. Point is that this whole damn planet is one big boiling pot of military action...

Dont think you profit from arms dealing? Tell me how much money have YOU made on your last few missions taking the weapons you find from one person and selling them to another... You cant walk in rome without noticing that every single person there has a gun, much the same in some clan territories ive... *ahem* ... visited. '

Right now, the average jane and joe benefit at least somewhat from dealing out the weapons created by either omni or its offworld cousins...

Know what though? I gotta agree with the lady about one thing... I been off rubi ka and back again what, three times now? And I aint never seen a planet quite as nice as this one... Weve got sentient beings here, yeah thats for sure... Some aint nice but theyre all real lovely, and ... wow it feels weird to say this ... but I just cant bring myself to hunt them down pointlessly.

On the contrary...

I respect Neutrals as individuals, and when they are not aiding and abetting my enemy, which I see them do all the time. Just yesterday, I saw a group of Neutrals killing Hecklers with Omni characters. Same said Neutrals were wearing the Omni Shoulderpads. Now of course, since Neutrals lack many of the "sided" equipment, I can understand that, but overwhelmingly I see Neutrals assisting Omni people more than I do with Clan.

And not all Clan hate all Neutrals. That's more Sentinels-as-all-Clanners propaganda and I won't bother to dignify it. I have many Neutral acquantances and I don't want to shoot them on sight. Neither do a lot of my Clan brothers and sisters. But, when I see them scouting for Omni at tower battles, assisting them for other equipment and outdamaging my Clan friends while hunting and camping for more advanced equipment and other such hostile activities, then I have no love for Neutrals, because they are not Neutral any longer. They are just opportunists that can't choose a side.

As for the argument of the Rhinomen, I doubt very seriously that Omni-Tek is not complicit in the harming of Rhinomen than any other faction on this planet. They unfortunately have a precarious niche here, where they hold resources and equipment that we can use to further our own factional agendas. I myself do not shoot at anything that doesn't mean harm to me, so saying that "Clan is involved in genocidal activities against a sentient race" is a failure of semantical application and you should read Korzybyski before making such erroneous blanket statements.

They are neutral in attitude to all that come their way, and I leave them be. Others may do things, but I am not aware of it, have never witnessed it, and even if it DID happen, it is probably so rare since they have little we could possibly want that it's a statistical blurb. More Rhinomen probably die hunting the creatures near their homes for sport than they do from the occasional Clan/Omni/Neutral psychopath.

They have very little I could want that I can't get from other sources, sources that mean to eat me whole and spit out my bones. I don't have any respect for their culture other than it is non-invasive and non-threatening, which is OK by me. I wonder...just how many species of sentient, social creatures did Omni-Tek eradicate and annihilate in their mining operations? You know, the ones that leave entire sectors in ruin. Care to quote me those numbers?

And remember, Clan has not made any new buildings at all on the planet save to replace some that already had things built on them. We merely occupy that which was built before Clan became Clan. We neither despoil the planet nor defile entire sectors. No, Omni-Tek does, and there has been NO efforts that I can see that have tried to rehabilitate those areas. Maybe when I see that happening, I'll start listening to what Omni employees have to say about "ecologically sound stewardship of the planet".

Sir, the issue at hand is your extraodrinary claim that

The Clan idealogues (myself included) value the freedom of the individual and the rights of every sentient being on this planet, human or not.
    I think I have provided ample examples that this simply not true. There are enough Clanners who show little regard for the rights of Neutrals or some other above mentioned sentient species make your claim void.

I am sure there are plenty Omni employess for whom this values do not apply either, I will not deny that. And if you are willing to agree that in this day and age there is very little difference between the behaviour of Omni and Clan we can end this discussion here.

If however you insist in claiming that Clanners are in some shape, form or manner morally superior, then you will have to provide evidence of this claim. Show the world all these great Clan achievements or be silent. Else you shall be known as a scoundrel and blackguard!

Omni-Tek may not be perfect, but pray tell me what what is it that the Clans have done in the past 200 years so worthy and wonderful that you can sit and pass judgement?

Savoy

Oh jeez

No one said anyone here was involved any more than the other in harming a sentient species. No one accused you of genocide, not alone anyhow. So dont even go down that road.

Me I work for omni when the pays right, but ill be damned if ill stand blindly by them because ive been in the trenches for both sides in some way or another. Believe me neither side, EVEN the neutrals, is innocent on this planet. Omni tech does terrible things under the banner of 'justice' and clans do so under the banner of 'freedom' meanwhile the neutrals do so under the banner of 'peace'

Please, give me a break. I could care less for that, my statements were to say something that is indeed the truth... The reason this war is going on to this day is that its simply more profitable. Im not here to bash a clan member, a neutral, or an omni tech employee. Im just here to tell you my opinion as I see it... is that so wrong? Its easy to see why people dont know what the hell is going on on this planet... Every time something happens everyone points their guns at each other, last one left when the triggers are pulled is right! Meh, I need a beer.
    Last edited by Krayve; Jun 15th, 2004 at 01:57:14.

Re: On the contrary...

And remember, Clan has not made any new buildings at all on the planet save to replace some that already had things built on them. We merely occupy that which was built before Clan became Clan. We neither despoil the planet nor defile entire sectors. No, Omni-Tek does, and there has been NO efforts that I can see that have tried to rehabilitate those areas. Maybe when I see that happening, I'll start listening to what Omni employees have to say about "ecologically sound stewardship of the planet".
    Just a friendly notification, Tir and West Athens(look at the building styles) are Clan built. Numerous Clan constructs dot the landscape in Avalon, Three Craters, Wailing Wastes, Athen Shire, Plesant Meadows, Varmit Woods, Belial, and countless other places.

29227 Construction begins on the city of Tir inside clan-run territories. Plans call for Tir to be the political capital of the clans; a safe harbour and home to a democratically chosen clan council.

The bottom line is that the Clans have no claim that they are somehow 'right' to murder people when murder is murder by any other name. Attatching a pretty ribbon to the act and calling it 'freedom fighting' as dress-up does not make it 'right'. So drop the 'good cause' act.

The rest of Rubi-Ka are still waiting for a chance to rebuild as soon as the Clans give them the 'freedom' to do so instead of using their armed thugs, millitants and terrorists to repress them from doing so. Get that through your thick head.
    Charles 'Kithrak' Houston - Equipment
    Administrator, Omni-Admin
    Bringing the politics of Rubi-Ka to life!

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche-

"By denying support to the possibility of peace, the Council of Truth is guranteeing an outcome of war."-Administrator Houston-

Then a thick headed Scoundrel and Blackguard I be...

This will be the last post I make in this chat, because now we are making it personal, which I will not stoop to. To heap rhetorical scorn on silly ideas is one thing, to make it personal is another entirely.

However, I will make my last points about this. It is the unfortunate lawyering of my ironic sense that will complete my statements to this debate. The Clan built structures we are talking about here are not huge cities. Tir is not Omni-1 or Entertainment. Nor is it the area where the massdrivers are located, or countless other areas that dot the landscape to the south of Rubi-Ka. The huge sites that I have seen in countless places compare NOTHING to what I see in Clan held territories that we have built. Our cities are small, your strip mines, notum mines and whatever else you're digging up all over down there have utterly pocked the landscape. And you think it's significantly relevant to deal with a piddly little semantic irony? Please.

Murder is murder by any stretch? Says who? If you are underarmed, undermanned and outnumbered, do you go and fight one on one with this opponent? Surely not. If you capture enemy, and the removal of their presence from you is considered to be advantageous to your cause, do you not do it? Of course you do. It's pointless to hold this arguement on that basis, the "we all go by the same rules or you're scum" because we do not have the same circumstances by which to judge them. 10-1 odds against you would necessitate you to use guerilla tactics, which includes the killing of enemy forces in any manner you can. The smaller force has no hope of winning except politically, so don't think that Clan forces during the stages of the rebellion or in any case where Clan was severely outnumbered and outgunned are even remotely to be considered on equal terms. We are not.

If you want to talk about murder in wartime, you're dreaming more than Freud would even feel comfortable dealing with. Freedom fighting is precisely what it is, from OUR perspective. Of course Omni people don't see it that way. You're our enemy until such time as we agree we aren't any longer. Until then, death in wartime, whether in your ridiculous notion of "honorable combat" (you aren't knights and you never had that much honor to begin with) or otherwise is going to happen and continue to happen.

And since we're on the topic of "armed thugs, militants and terrorists", ho boy! Omni-Tek calling ANYONE that but themselves is such completely obdurate hypocrisy that I am actually stumped for a reply. You got me on that one. Wow...I'm impressed. And since Omni is SO all powerful (according to you), you could be rehabilitating this planet RIGHT NOW, but you choose not to. Not because of the bloody Dust Brigade or the bloody Sentinels. But because you choose not to. Why? I think it's because you haven't completed your turning on of the Omni-Tek goods vacuum and sucked Rubi-Ka until all you get is leet lint. Clans don't need to give YOU the freedom to rebuild anything, nor do the Neutrals require Clan permission to do so either. No Clan forces are attacking your cities. So get over it, and quit misrepresenting the facts as if YOU speak for the Corporation. You're just another cog in the big ugly machine. Just like I don't. It's my opinion and nothing more and my interpretation.

And for the neutrals, we have so many of you Omni's pointing your black iron gloved fist in our direction and saying "You Clanners abuse the Neutrals so much" and all that jazz, and here we have a true Neutral telling us that all they want to do is use the war to fatten their wallets. Given that the Neutral faction is so diverse and so diametrically opposed in their goals and aims, all they are is a 3rd faction with their own interests. They are not Neutral by any stretch of the imagination, and for those who wish for peace, you're simply in the wrong neighborhood. Sorry about that, but you're only making the conflict last longer by playing our two sides against the other. Personally, the more I hear this, the more I'm siding with the Sentinels in this, because at least with the Omni people, I know where they stand. They are my enemy and they would cut my throat rather than talk to me, and I'm pretty much agreed with that sentiment. Neutrals, however, claim to be above the fray but I've seen enough examples to know that they just tip the balance from one side to the other. So, keep it up, Neutrals. I think that you're finding that Clanners don't even want to deal with you any longer. Fine by me. Sorry it has to be that way, but it is.

In closing, despite all of your pinpricks and the nitpicking examples of "Clan criminal behaviour", the overall ethos of Clan IS freedom of the individual over the group, and the rights of the individual over the group. If you don't believe it, I'm not surprised, because you already have your minds made up before you see what we really stand for.

Blackguard and scoundrel. Indeed.

... I never said I was a neutral

*grins a bit and shakes his head, closing down his com links and waving to the omni pol guards on his way into rome.*

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345