Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Both Fixers and agents are getting an aggro detaunter, how about docs.....

Personally I think there should be some generic detaunting device, some kind of de-agression device that any prof can use if they invest in one skill or another.

I do NOT think the skill should be psychology, however. It makes logical sense that it would be psychology, although it doesn't make sense gameplay-wise. The skill to use a detaunter should be inexpensive for doctors, for example, and expensive for enforcers and soldiers.

If an aggresion-squisher device used psychology, the professions that would benefit most from it would have to spend the most IP to use it. It would be painful for a doc to spend the IP for a psych-based device, and that defeats the purpose. Why should such a device only be eminently usable by tank classes?

I'm not sure which skill is appropriate for this, but it would have to be something that could be logically rationalized in the game logic somehow, as well as appropriate in IP cost for the various professions.

I had the same argument some time ago when musing about a device that would help characters counter hostile nanoprograms. Nano resistance seems like the most logical skill to base such a device on, but it doesn't make sense from a gameplay perspective.

Nano resistance shouldn't be the prerequisite, since characters who can raise nano resistance to a high level wouldn't really need the device anyway. The whole idea of the device would be to add balance by allowing some alternate means of countering hostile nanos to professions who are unable to invest seriously in nano resist. The skill to use it should be something inexpensive for agents, adventurers, etc. and more expensive for metas, docs and NTs (They can use it to get super-duper-uber nanoresist by augmenting an already cheap skill with a device, but it should cost them extra and not be a 'gimme').
    Yehezkel

180+ Rockin' Adventurer
    Jester's Vengeance
    RK2

Soon to be in possession of majestic powers that no other profession will rival...

Originally posted by Zeroshift
    Why stop there? Let's give one to the NT's, the traders, the MP's, then engineers....

How about, NO.

Give everyone a detaunter and you have made argo devices worthless.

Keeping argo off the doc is something that requires good teamwork and adds to the gameplay. It is also an essential balancing feature. Teams would be nearly invincable with a couple docs that never drew argo.
    Doesn't that go for every class then?

you named NT's, MP's and traders, these classes have mezz lines (broken or none broken) so they have a detaunter.

But your arguement is valid zero and you are most certainly right. Keeping the doc alive requires good teamplay, aggromanagement and is exactly the reason why a lot of young docs quit their profession before they good and well started, because these realy good teams are rare at lower to medium levels causing docs to outdie teamies 10:1 and losing their friendly team because they get out of range levelwise since it's mostly (in my experience) only the doc that dies. (the first thing I see when I hit the reclaim is usually "get out all, we lost the doc!!")

Personally I don't need one, I have come to the point where I can tank some (tho not real means...) and I know more or less how to get aggro off myself if I get a few seconds for it, situations like I described happen and I can live with that but I know from experience that lower level docs have real, real, REAL big aggro problems and I'm rooting for them.
    Corine "Lifedelite" Harrist - 198 clan doc - Rimor - President of EcoDisaster <---- semi-retired
    Angel "Speeddragon" Dust - 74 clan Fix - Rimor - EcoDisaster <---- semi-fanatic
    Fighter "Reflekt" Gunz - 169 clan Sol - Rimor - EcoDisaster <---- I like Guns! equipment

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123