Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Crash in Hope

The Crash in Hope

The Crash in Hope
    Reporter Mythana

FJRK -- A patrol of Borg Hunters came into Old Athens seeking assistance, apparently having discovered a crashed ship of some sort. During their investigation some of the Borg Hunters suddenly died in a gruesome manner. While looking for cover, they discovered that there was nothing visibly attacking them, and retreated to obtain backup.

I met them in Old Athens near the Whom-Pahs, where they were pretty shaken up. They asked for assistance from nearby Clan members. After one of the Borg Hunters related the story to me and the other nearby Clan members, another recruited a force to come back with them. Soon, a sizable amount of people had arrived and left for Hope.

We arrived in Hope with good spirits. Goomba "Warburn" Wang and "Khorak" offered to guard me, and I gladly accepted their proposal despite having reservations of actually needing protection. We headed northwest to the seemingly quiet shipwreck. We were not there long when a hum started around us, and quickly grew. The various "pets" of the meta-physicists, engineers, and bureaucrats were hit by the sound first. At first, we thought it was something that only affected the pets. But then, as the unseen waves of energy passed through the air, a faint shimmer was seen as they impacted upon their human targets with a soundless blast. I watched, awestruck, as their bodies were ravaged into lifeless corpses. The Borg Hunters started a search for the source of the attacks, but were unable to find them and were soon slain. Some people claimed to have heard a slithering sound, but where unable to locate the source. The slithering sound soon ceased, but the deaths didn’t. After about half the force that had arrived was left in ruins, and most had retreated to a nearby hilltop that wasn’t being attacked, the hum abruptly vanished.

The strange attacks were sudden and left none alive. Soon, as we were regrouping, a number of Omni-Tek troops arrived and started attacking the surviving Clan members. They vastly outnumbered us, and we were barely holding our own when two Behemoth-class Juggernauts were air-dropped behind us. The members of our group were slaughtered without mercy. Later, a large group of Clan members returned and annihilated the entire Omni-Tek force.

While I was heading back to Old Athens I contacted Omni-Tek and demanded to know what the meaning of their attack was. They claimed they were only there to retrieve the bodies of a fallen Omni-Tek reconnaissance team and refused to answer any further questions. What happened at the ship? What was attacking the people there? Why would Omni-Tek bring such a large force to recover a small reconnaissance team?

There is only a single, simple explanation for Omni-Teks actions. They wanted to secure the crash site for their own use. It was obviously not a reconaisance team down for an unknown reason. And sending in the what seemed like hundreds of Omni-pol soldiers along with the Behemoth-Class Juggernauts was an act of aggression against the clans.

The clans arrived first. The clans were in the process of securing the crash site and attempting to identify what the crash trully was. Then, without warning or provocation, Omni-pol forces decended upon the crash site, firing upon all clanners in the area.

It took myself and many others quite some time to fend off the attack and turn it back on the agressing Omni-Tek, a blatant breach into an area that Omni-Tek had no right in being.

Now, that said, I applaud the Omni-Tek personel who were present and actually assisted the Clans in repelling the Omni-pol incursion. You stood with true honor that day. I hope, nay I pray, that your supervisors do not discover your identities.

As for what the crash site truly was, I don't believe anybody is aware at this time. The area is obviously still too dangerous, and needs careful study by any group besides Omni-Tek. Whatever devilish device or source was causing our numbers to die in rapid order must not be allowed to fall into the hands of the unscrupulous Omni-Tek.

Freedom for Rubi-Ka!
    Borehound - Member of Coven of Hunters

Alts
    Sachiel - Engineer
    Jeraphen - Meta-Physicist
    Tabris - Keeper

Ultimately, who did retain control over the crash site?

The results of the investigation, though likely to be kept top secret, could be of great interest.
    -Ward 'Kzak' Hereda, Clan L220, AL15 'Competent' Supreme Creator on Rubi-Ka 1. Equipment setup.

Life is like a box of chocolates. Except, you know, the brown stuff in the box? That's not chocolate.

Doing his part to make the world a more interesting place since December 2001.. but not any more. Account cancelled, playable until 2006-11-13 19:25:49. See you in Age of Conan!

Originally posted by Editor: FJRK
    Why would Omni-Tek bring such a large force to recover a small reconnaissance team?
    Is it so difficult to believe that Omni-Tek is concerned about the well-being of its employees? This was a highly trained reconnaissance team whom the corporation had invested a great deal over a period of years. We were not about to let these valuable employees fall into clan hands, such as what happened with the “BlackReet Down” incident in ’77 over Athens.

Moreover, should the crew of this reconnaissance craft be beyond all hope of saving through the efforts of Omni-Med, is it so difficult to imagine that we would use a large force to recover the remains of these employees, so that their families may have some degree of closure in their deaths, rather than wondering forever if these brave employees will ever be returned home?

The crash site was dangerous. From the reports I’ve read, warnings were broadcast over clan channels that the site was dangerous and to be avoided. However, this did not stop a large number of clan individuals from attempting to secure the site. This presents those administrating the rescue operation with another problem: Not only is the crash site itself hazardous, there are a large number of onlookers that will be hostile to the rescue effort. A large force is justified in this event.

Originally posted by Borehound
    Now, that said, I applaud the Omni-Tek personel who were present and actually assisted the Clans in repelling the Omni-pol incursion. You stood with true honor that day. I hope, nay I pray, that your supervisors do not discover your identities.
    This I find most disturbing. We must remember to always conduct ourselves properly as Employees of the Corporation, regardless of the situation or location. To those employees who shot our own troops attempting to enact the recovery issue, I ask you to take a moment to place yourself in the situation of the crewmembers, or their families. Would you want your fellow employees to interfere with an attempt to rescue you from a dangerous situation, or to interfere with the recovery of the remains of a beloved family member? Of course you wouldn’t.

If those involved fear retribution from their superiors due to their attempted interference with the rescue operation, I urge you to come forward without fear. Remember that everyone in the company is useful, there’s a place and a purpose for every employee.
    Marisha Durousseau, War Dominatrix of The Honored Maidens

Resources exist to be consumed. And consumed they will be, if not by this generation then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright?--CEO Nwabudike Morgan, "The Ethics of Greed"

Read Marisha's Journal, and see what she's doing

Excuse me miss....but Behemoth-Class Juggernaughts are fight units...not rescue units.

And i think you didnt quite understand what happend. It says that the clanners were investigating a site, and abruptly got attacked by Omni-Tek forces.

I dont know what kind of Rescue opperation that is...

And yes it is hard to believe that the corporation cares about the well-being of its employees.
    1. Everyone on this planet is able to use the insurance technology. The problem we have is that you can not stay somewhere to investigate it or do whatever you came to do when your dead or being attacked.
    The only thing that could have fallen into our hands was knowledge of something strong enough to instantly kill great amounts of people and this must have been the first and main reason for the Omni-Tek forces to be dispatched.
    2. Maybe you have forgotten why our "War" with the corporation had started in the first place...do you not remember when the Mine filled with atrox workers collapsed and OT didnt even bother sending out a rescue force. quote "they are just atrox".
    This makes it very hard to believe that they care just a bit about there employees.

Originally posted by Borehound
    There is only a single, simple explanation for Omni-Teks actions. They wanted to secure the crash site for their own use. It was obviously not a reconaisance team down for an unknown reason. And sending in the what seemed like hundreds of Omni-pol soldiers along with the Behemoth-Class Juggernauts was an act of aggression against the clans.

No, because against a Clan force of the size you suggest, that is known to be able to turn hostile in a moments notice, you send in a small force with no backup at all. Spirits, i suggest you go back to reading Basic Tactics.

The clans arrived first. The clans were in the process of securing the crash site and attempting to identify what the crash trully was. Then, without warning or provocation, Omni-pol forces decended upon the crash site, firing upon all clanners in the area.

Ok, so if a prototype Clan scout aircraft crashes and the rescue party finds a lot of Omni-Tek swarming all around the wreckage the Clan force will just wait it´s turn. That is good to know.

It took myself and many others quite some time to fend off the attack and turn it back on the agressing Omni-Tek, a blatant breach into an area that Omni-Tek had no right in being.

And again.... After the fall of the original Council of Truth the Tir accord became null and void. Without the Tir accord Omni-Tek has the full lawfull right to enforce laws all over Rubi-Ka and plant troops as we would like to. As the lease-holders of Rubi-Ka, Omni-Tek had every right to be there untill you get your second Council up and running and negotiate a new accord.

*Cough* Omni-Tek is not always right and does not always do the right thing, i´ll agree with that much.

As for what the crash site truly was, I don't believe anybody is aware at this time. The area is obviously still too dangerous, and needs careful study by any group besides Omni-Tek. Whatever devilish device or source was causing our numbers to die in rapid order must not be allowed to fall into the hands of the unscrupulous Omni-Tek.

Did it ever cross your mind that Omni-Tek thinks exactly the same way about the Clans?

Freedom for Rubi-Ka!
    For all or just the Clans?
    "On the frontlines, there is but one commandment...
    Thou Shalt Kill."

"As i stride knee deep through the dead, all is clear. I know what must be done...
    My cause is just...My will is strong...
    ...And my gun is very, very large!"
    The words of a true soldier.

I was there as a witness. Omni-Tek treated the situation with extreme caution and prejudice to be on the safe side. The deaths of those involved were merely the unfortunate result of exposure to radiation levels from the ship crash. Omni-Tek personnel did all they could to treat the injured and secure the area from other individuals who could harm themselves or others.

((ooc: it was an alien ship crash and omni personnel killed all witnesses btw if you cant read between the lines))
    Meldaeyn
    220 Omni Meta-Physicist on Rimor
    As long as the enemies of the corporation still draw breath, there can be no peace.

I visited the wreckage earlier, it's still there. One Omni-Tek Captain was some distance south of the wreck, not close enough to shoot upon someone investigating the debris.

Only an investigation will reveal exactly what happened.. we will all have to wait to find out, I guess.

(OOC: Nice use of bonfire kits by the ARKs to simulate trails of burning wreckage. )
    -Ward 'Kzak' Hereda, Clan L220, AL15 'Competent' Supreme Creator on Rubi-Ka 1. Equipment setup.

Life is like a box of chocolates. Except, you know, the brown stuff in the box? That's not chocolate.

Doing his part to make the world a more interesting place since December 2001.. but not any more. Account cancelled, playable until 2006-11-13 19:25:49. See you in Age of Conan!

Originally posted by Legaron
    1. Everyone on this planet is able to use the insurance technology.
    Insurance tech is not foolproof. It requires trace Notum, virtually omnipresent in the Rubi-Ka atmosphere. This Notum allows for the instantaneous transfer of the "soul" from one body to another. Outside the atmosphere or in a sealed system originating outside the Rubi-Ka’n atmosphere, all bets are off.

Originally posted by Legaron
    2. Maybe you have forgotten why our "War" with the corporation had started in the first place...do you not remember when the Mine filled with atrox workers collapsed and OT didnt even bother sending out a rescue force. quote "they are just atrox".
    This makes it very hard to believe that they care just a bit about there employees.
    Omni-Tek does care a great deal about its employee’s welfare. The statement in question was made by a low ranking, poorly socialized Omni-Tek spokesman. This comment was also made nearly three centuries ago. To loosely quote Savoy, colonies have gone from a few isolated outposts on a world run by a hereditary nobility, owned slaves, killed the nobility, freed the slaves, established colonies of their own, attacked other systems, been conquered by larger systems, been liberated by even larger systems, and finally become a galactic superpower that other developing systems look to for guidance in creating their own nations in less time.

Both sides of this conflict have changed over the past three centuries. Events from our great great great great great great great grandfathers time have little bearing on modern events.

Resources exist to be consumed. And consumed they will be, if not by this generation then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright?--CEO Nwabudike Morgan, "The Ethics of Greed"

Originally posted by Xhairs

For all or just the Clans?
    You really want that answered?
    Neophyte/Sergeant/Tactician Escritores - Proud General of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 220/27/56 - Soldier - Equip - outdated...
    Poacher Overpoweredz - Proud UC of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 169/9/X - ADV - Equip outdated
    Chiropractor/Tactician Kartoon - Proud SC of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 150/12/12 - Doctor - TL5 PvP incoming. Under construction.
    Also a Freshman Crat, Freshman/Student/Squire/Captain Keep, Freshman/Phreaker/Scout Fix and a bunch of other tower punks and alts...
    Soldier Weaponrack: Anger of Xan, Dreadloch Modified Shark, Amplified KOC-Type 13, Lord Of Anger, AHF, SRPB, KOC-Type 12, KOEC-Type 3, 179-214-237 Coop, Supernova, Omni-Flamer.
    Gromulator: Go troll in your cavern , mr happy Bunny.
    Romaas about lvl 49 soldier BS twinks using CDR's
    Quote Originally Posted by Romaas View Post
    at 49 its totally awesome damage.

After the 2 first Juggernauts came and we had killed them 6 more dropped from orbit. How can that be a rescue?
    I had troops at the crater today to inspect if Omni tek sent more death squads out there, they found 2 OT employees who emediately opened fire at them they quickly responded by killing the OT's on sight. I went out there later on and again i saw a OT employee who again opened fire on me for no apparent reason needless to say i killed him in a matter of seconds.
    Neophyte/Sergeant/Tactician Escritores - Proud General of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 220/27/56 - Soldier - Equip - outdated...
    Poacher Overpoweredz - Proud UC of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 169/9/X - ADV - Equip outdated
    Chiropractor/Tactician Kartoon - Proud SC of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 150/12/12 - Doctor - TL5 PvP incoming. Under construction.
    Also a Freshman Crat, Freshman/Student/Squire/Captain Keep, Freshman/Phreaker/Scout Fix and a bunch of other tower punks and alts...
    Soldier Weaponrack: Anger of Xan, Dreadloch Modified Shark, Amplified KOC-Type 13, Lord Of Anger, AHF, SRPB, KOC-Type 12, KOEC-Type 3, 179-214-237 Coop, Supernova, Omni-Flamer.
    Gromulator: Go troll in your cavern , mr happy Bunny.
    Romaas about lvl 49 soldier BS twinks using CDR's
    Quote Originally Posted by Romaas View Post
    at 49 its totally awesome damage.

Originally posted by _-EscritoreS-_
    After the 2 first Juggernauts came and we had killed them 6 more dropped from orbit. How can that be a rescue?
    Your right. I wouldn’t call that a rescue either. The orbit drop of the six additional Juggernauts was obviously marked the beginning of a static defense mission that was to run concurrently with the existing rescue mission. Completely rational decision on the part of the C3 staff in the face of clan hostilities and interference with the existing hot zone rescue mission.

I just hope the entire operation came in under budget.

Testimony of a first on-the-scene battle survivor...

Rimor's events went down slightly different than what was reported here, so for the Atlanteans, sorry...

I was among the first to be recruited by the Borg Hunters on Rimor, and survived the entire event (at least until the site was completely secured by the combined Clan-Omni-Neutral survivors). So I bear true witness to what happened during this assault.

The reporter is correct about the pets of the engies, crats and MP's all dying off first. For no reason, they were dropping left and right. Then the Borg Hunters were targeted first, followed by a systematic targeting and destruction of the strongest members present (a couple of TL7 Atrox) followed by various others. I managed to not get targeted (guess the attackers didn't find me much of a threat).

While all of this was going on, we were assaulted by Omni-Pol drop ships, and at least 50 Lieutenants and Captains were dropped into the midst of all of us, followed by 2 Juggernauts. Those of us who are more powerful survived the entire combat (I was mezmerizing dozens it seemed while being attacked elsewhere) and we managed to destroy not only the entire Omni-Pol ground force, but their Juggernauts as well. Only after the Omni-Pol attack was I killed and reclaimed by continued targeting of the unknown attackers. They hit me for precisely the amount of health I had from some unknown weapon, showing that these attackers are very well equipped, have great intelligence (tactical and strategic) and can remain cloaked while attacking. This is most disturbing and should not be treated lightly. I returned in time at the crash site just to notice that the humming and radiation levels returned to normal and no further threat from the site was noted.

It should be noted here that there were no survivors of the crashed craft, nor were any artifacts/weapons recovered by our recon group. The site was picked clean; however, we did note that a large number of Omni bodies (AF from the looks of it) and Slayerdroid bots were strewn about the wreckage when we arrived, signifying that some combat had taken place before I had arrived, but no further intelligence was given by the Borg Hunters or anyone else present.

I would like to take time out to thank the Omni employees present at the crash site who did not take advantage of the state of the situation and open fire upon us all (they certainly could have given that we were all flagged for having attacked Omni guard forces) and some of the Omni employees in the original recon group were actually fighting along side of the Clan brothers to insure that this event would not be covered up by the Corporation. So, on behalf of myself and all of Clan, thank you for your foresight and your prudence. I pray that you remain anonymous, and should you find yourself hunted by the Corporation, send me a tell. We can always use more honorable fighters in the Clans.

For that was what this event was: an attempted cover-up by the Corporation. They wished all of Rubi-Ka to be ignorant of the events by killing all of the witnesses present and removing all evidence of the crash site. The Corporation sent a "rescue" team in to insure that a media black-out would occur and that Omni would have all rights to the crash site (might is right according to Omni) even though Hope is clearly in Clan territory.

I believe we are witnessing the aftermath of the destruction of the Beast and the message that was sent out following it's demise.

Be prepared, fellow citizens of Rubi-Ka. Something wicked this way comes. As the battle I was a very integral part of showed, with a little communication during the battle, it is clear that Omni-Tek and Clan and Neutrals alike can work together peaceably during times of mutual strife, and this event certainly could be called that. I have never seen it's like and I fear more is to come. We will all need that prudence and restraint among the factions in order to weather this particular storm.

As I am wont to do, I will relay a bit of old Earth wisdom relevant to the event. In this case, a verse from the holy Quran:

I against my brother, my brother and I against my cousin, my cousin and I against the stranger.
    -----------------------------------
    The few, the proud...the Traders.
    -----------------------------------

Maartens - 220 Mogul and former gadfly of Rimor. Now I'm just a major n00b.

In defeat, malice. In victory, revenge!

Hmmm.. Omni-Tek killed clanners you say?

You know.. I heard this funny rumor that Omni-Tek and Clan are in war with eachother..

But then again, what would I know, Im neutral, Clan and Omni-Tek both wage war on us

/J
    Wasted time: 220, 220, 213, 211, 191, 187, 182, 175, 140, 94, 60, 55, 52, 31, 25
    Big bad neutral addict

Originally posted by _-EscritoreS-_

You really want that answered?
    Given how certain Clanners seem to talk of tha thing, yeah, I most certainly want an answer to this. Instead of gettin' a runnin'-round-that-pot-answer once again . Though, from tha exact tone of yer words, I unfortunately can already foresee what tha answer is.

Now lemme see. What part of this duntcha unnerstand? Clanners discover a crashed Omni-Tek ship, somethin' "weird" happens near it, so they go get tha help of other Clanners to "investigate". Weird events go on 'round tha crash site, but in tha meantime, tha ship not reportin', a few units are sent to check. Omni-Tek's units discover Clanners trying tha "investigate and secure tha area". Since when are Clanners allowed to secure an area that dusn't pertain to them? (Cuz it dusn't, y'know.) Especially that everytime they've "recovered" Omni-Tek's personnel, said personnel has ne'er been seen again, mebbe still rottin' somewhere in a cell. Picture this. Our troops rrive, see a wide group of Clanners about. How t'be sure yer people haven't touched anythin', already made surviving personnel prisoner?

Should tha Corporation be blamed fer havin' sent people to check on one of their ships? Sould we be blamed if Clanners happened to come near and somethin' "weird" happened to 'em? Should we be blamed fer tryin' to get back what pertains to us?

And I also want an answer to this question that has been asked, and - conveniently, again! - not anwered to by any of ya. If this had happened to a Clan prototype in an area where Omni-Tek is more present, would tha Clanners not have tried to get their personnel and ship back, and would not have tried to get rid of tha "evil Omni-Tek people" investigatin' tha site?
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

I don't have all the facts, but I think there is a simple explanation for why such massive deployment of forces by Omni-Tek?

Last time Omni-Tek launched a volunteer-led rescue mission for an Omni pilot said rescue party was massacred by Clanners who subsequently took the pilot prisonner. That was back in October, in a incident the media dubbed "Black Reet Down". To this day we still do not know the fate of the pilot, lieutenant Christian Furuseth.

I guess the moral is, once bitten, twice shy. No more Black Reets Down.

Savoy
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Originally posted by Demenzia

Now lemme see. What part of this duntcha unnerstand? Clanners discover a crashed Omni-Tek ship, somethin' "weird" happens near it, so they go get tha help of other Clanners to "investigate". [/i]
    According to my and some others investigation, it isnt a OT-ship.
    The technoligy doesnt look OT, and the OT-bodys laying spread out have three claw marks.
    That doesnt sound like some race we know off?
    Last edited by Iriche; May 10th, 2004 at 12:57:31.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old maintainer and hoster of Helpbot, Xyphos, AO Minecraft Server, AO Devs
    Old dictator on Atlantean

(OOC: Btw i think coords are 2480 2250, might be wrong tho )
    Last edited by Elciny; May 10th, 2004 at 17:34:47.

Originally posted by Iriche

According to my and some others investigation, it isnt a OT-ship.
    The technoligy doesnt look OT, and the OT-bodys laying spread out have three claw marks.
    That doesnt sound like some race we know off?
    Sounds like a Claw Finger mutant, but they don´t normaly pose a danger. Besides, i have not seen the wounds so i am basicly just taking a shot in the dark here.
    "On the frontlines, there is but one commandment...
    Thou Shalt Kill."

"As i stride knee deep through the dead, all is clear. I know what must be done...
    My cause is just...My will is strong...
    ...And my gun is very, very large!"
    The words of a true soldier.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast