Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Female Harassment on Rubi-Ka

Dancing on a table is a sexual act? WOW! You mean if I in RL go and dance on a table I could get pregnant? I didn't know that! THANK YOU! I'll remember NEVER to dance on a table.

Get real. I expect flirting from guys when my character dances on a table. I do not tolerate vulgarity. And if you think I should because my character is dancing on a table well you are one of those type of people who think women deserve to get r@ped if they're wearing a short skirt.

Bottom line, if someone is acting towards you in a way you don't like, you let them know that you won't tolerate it. Now tell me how that is being a victim. Or are women just suppose to silently put up with everything is that your opinion?

*gleep!*

I apologize for my robot's actions towards women! Okay, okay, so he admires women a bit too much and maybe makes a few sly comments about them, but he never touched any of them!

AAAHH!!!!

/me runs from the hoard of women who want to beat up his robot pet
    Former EQ Cleric lvl 26, no relation to Bugs Bunny
    90 337 $0|\/|3 l337: It's not just for dinner anymore

Exclamation

Laeni,

Wow were to begin....

1. NO I do not think women should shutup and putup
    2. When I say Table Dancing is a Sexual Act, that does not by any means, mean Sexual Intercourse! But it is Sexual behavior...Or maybe You weren't dancing in one of the many sexual revealing outfitts on a table infront of a bunch of guys. If not then your scenario is complete justified, well either way it was justified, because you can say what you want. Especially when I comes to situation such as that.
    3. I would suggest to you that maybe if you don't want to hear comments of that nature then I wouldn't put myself in a position to hear them
    4. Tell me you have a concept of what Table dancing or the way a woman dresses means in American Society. For you to say I'm going to dress in a sexy way, dance on a table, in a bar, in front of some guys & then say; OMG this guys was getting all sexual with me what a sicko SH'ing SOB, is completely nieve. (please tell me I'm not talking to a ealier teen)
    6. Can I be flirty & Sexual....Yes(we all are)....Would I be to a half naked girl dancing on a table in a bar....Probably....would I say it like that guy....No.
    7. I never mean't to imply that you were a Victim in the scenario you described early. You weren't....Thats my point.
    8. Sorry it took so long to reply (working)
    9. This is just a game but it reflects RL so well...Like this Topic.
    10. Laeni I respect you & your Option, although I think it has some flawes :P . I'm sure I would agree with you on 99.99% of all serious SH cases. Just not most of these....The rope one was to far, but deserves nothing more than a kick in the @#$! and a slap in the face.
    11. I don't have time to proof this(I should have never read these boards at work lol)

I'm probably gonna get flamed for this but....

/ooc
    I thought Table Dancing was a form of self expression, as all dancing is. I tend to think of it as entertainment. I agree it can turn on a lot of men around the dancer, but I doubt that most decent women (including table dancers) like being approached and molested without warning in game or otherwise.

The fact that the game isn't real doesn't justify approaching a female and molesting her without her consent. You don't know if the person behind that character is another man, another woman, or some teenager who somehow managed to get the chance to play the game. Sure, I'll roleplay that my pet is weird and will have him "pet chat" how he feels, but I never touch anyone and am quick to apologize if they take offense.

Well, I think I've dwelled on this subject long enough. Might as well wait for the flames to run over me...

/end ooc
    Former EQ Cleric lvl 26, no relation to Bugs Bunny
    90 337 $0|\/|3 l337: It's not just for dinner anymore

Hmmm.

Some good points in here.

Aktrez was spot on. This is a very mature community in a lot of ways. But there will always be younger/immature people involved aswell. There is nothing we can do about it. Boys will be boys... and girls will be girls.

Ive said before, flirting is fine. Mature people giving me compliments is fine. The one thing i dont like (im sure many will agree) is the boys/men who take it too far. Sexual insults and emotes in *really* bad taste are just too much.

Even if im dancing in a revealing outfit it doesnt mean im out there wanting every man to come and start touching me. Its called clubbing! People wear very little to look good and also it gets very hot... no point wearing a big, heavy cloak

The bottom line is, vulgar comments/emotes are *not* wanted or appreciated. People should take lessons in basic manners or something

Edit: Wabbit dont worry. Most of us can tell if its lighthearted or if someone is getting too excited. A friend of mine is a Crat and his bot flirts with me a lot . In cases like that its obviously light-hearted stuff. Theres no real menace to it
    Last edited by Keaorata; Jun 4th, 2002 at 12:24:04.
    Sulema Keaorata Fahrni

You dont need eyes to see, you need vision

Dancing

I find the dancing thing very interesting. I'm a dancer in real life and have been told the same thing. NO, I"m not an exotic dancer.. but.. if you have EVER danced in your life, you know how hot it is to do so!!! So, yes we wear skimpy clothes!! It's also hard to dance wearing jeans or confining things... you do have to MOVE! lol

AO imitates life. This is the only game to do so! We are not stripping at Rompas... we are simply dancing on a table!
    That by no means is a sexual act. And dancing is now asking for it? It is an artistic expression.. it's ART...

I"m sorry... being that I"m a performer in real life, as well as a female.. that particular comment gets me going.

- Aktrez
    Shalon "Aktrez" Joor
    ~*~ Director of Vixen Entertainment~*~
    Manger of the Rompa Bar, Omni-Ent.

*sigh* And I again say that there is a BIG difference between some guy flirting with you and some guy GRABBING you. There is nothing wrong with a guy flirting with you but if you think a woman dancing in a skimpy outfit gives men license to grab her breasts ....well...you have a problem.

Actually to me harrassment is when someone continues to do something even when they have been informed that what they are doing is offensive. Most men will stop what they are doing if a woman tells them that she is offended. It's those who refuse to stop that are the harrassers.

The one I find offensive is the 12 year olds who wander around town with their lvl 2 babes out for some vicarious fun doing /moon at every passing guy.

Makes me run a mile.

I'm just surprised that there are those who pay $12.95 a month to do scripted dances on a virtual table...
    "Mocc is here! Mocc is here! What want smash?? Mocc smash real good!"

Originally posted by Verloran
    I'm just surprised that there are those who pay $12.95 a month to do scripted dances on a virtual table...
    How can you know, it's the only thing they do ?
    I'm much more surprised that there are those who pay $12.95,
    to kill the same mob again and again, mission after mission 200 lvls,
    or even repeat the same with other chars
    ( heck, i'm surprised by myself too, even while my char is only 122 )
    At dancing there is at least interaction with public,
    and it's always different, it's actually RP,
    and AO is MOORPG by the way...
    Look... irl there are also these who repair cars, and these who dance
    What is different in repairing car compared to assembling implants ?
    Just that assembling implants is more repititive and boring
    Otherwise both is helping ppl.
    Dancing on the table is entertainment, something other ppl. like to do irl too.

If i ever make a fem char, don't think i will dance on the table btw.,
    but i'm not very good RPer too

I was trying to make a humorous comment, Chtonian. I either failed, or it was not perceived as such.

*passes Chtonian some Valium*

Believe it or not, I not only know that this is a role-playing game, but I role-play as well! *GASP* (I'm only playing with ya, amigo.)

Mocc says: "Uh... roll-play? Mocc not know what this mean..."

Verloran, i did remeber your first post, i liked it,
    i wondered why are you bashing them OOC now - no need
    ( and excuse me, it was 100% OOC )

It was not an answer to you as person,
    but the answer to the post, which i actually did not seen as joke
    ( may be bacause i'm Nano LOL )

?

Of course it was out of character. I'm not some weirdo who only posts on the message board as one of my characters. I'm not some strange role-playing fanatic who lives out his life as a fantasy of his own creation- I'm merely the creator of Mocc, among other characters. So, I, the author, might have him make appearances from time to time in the non-game world of AO. But I'd be silly to seriously transmit my genuine opinions through a fictional character. (All the time, at least... ;P)

And I'm not bashing anyone... Even if my post was taken seriously, I really doubt that it could have been that inflammatory. It was just a silly little comment. (Though none sillier than some of what is going on here.)

If your reply was "the answer to the post," then it was "an answer to me as a person." I wrote the post.

What i mean is,
    if i do make a silly comment
    "why do they use these LLTS, they hit slower",
    i have to expect being called a "n00b",
    even while i'm since October 2001 here,
    and sure know what are they for.
    I will not get mad and accusing ppl. not understanding my jokes
    Silly comment is silly comment. End of discussion.

What i mean is, i'm not saying you are really not understanding
    what is this game about,
    but this post was written 100% so, as the autor would not.

Find anyone wo actually laugh about this joke,
    and i will take back my critics

I think I somewhat understand what you're saying, but either way, I think you should take me up on that Valium.

Relax.

I don't know. I get more attention from other female characters than male characters when I am in my social outfit. I got 1 guy who wanted to grab me. But man, everytime I went to the baboons, some girl wanted to do it with me.

I only get attention when I am in social outfit though...
    Janella "Zindi" Catt
    Trader, Rubi-Ka 2

Talking

Those "girls" weren't girls, I'm betting...

Ok, many keep saying that even if you wear revealing outfit and dance no one should think they have a right to harass you. That's very much true, and yes not all the dancing is "sexual" - but I always thought there's a big difference between clubbing in a social outfit <-> dancing on the tables and walking in the streets with nothing but underwear on...

Harassment?

I can't recall any point where any behaviour towards me could be considered harrasment. I think that most online RPGers (not just in AO) are civil and courteous enough to know where the line is, andk know the difference between flirting and harassment.

I'm really surprised that anyone saw 'male behaviour' in 'touch my breasts again and I'm going to kick you in the nads' - that seems like the most sensible response to that kind of thing to me.

When I played EQ I ran a bit of an experiment with gender and observations. What I found was that (surprising results here!) males and females get treated differently.

You are more likely to get a favourable 'first impression' from another player as a female avatar. You are a little more likely to get gifts or handouts, and there are a subset of players who will make more effort to be your friend than try and KS/whatever you out of an area. But the difference is negligible - mostly it comes down to how you actually behave.

Flirting is a fact of life. In real life, and in game. I guess this may come as a surprise for most male players to find out 'life on the other side of the gender barrier' - and maybe it'll be an interesting social lesson - but on the whole flirting tends to stop there.

For me, in all my roleplaying experience, I've only once had an instance where I've had to tell someone to back off. And they did. In fact, they were rather apologetic when they stopped and thought a bit.

As for the whole dance debate? Dancing can be (but isn't always) a very arousing act. Table dancing in very skimpy clothing can be arousing for both the dancer and the viewer - without it being 'exotic'. However, just because someone looks good and dances well and is sexy doesn't give anyone the right to 'have a feel' without first getting the consent of the dancer. Which usually involves a bit more than asking 'can I feel yer tits?'

These kinds of games provide a rather interesting opportunity for many people - the chance to 'experiment' socially with the cover of anonymity to hide past mistakes. While some people abuse this, in many cases it's preferable that people make mistakes in a virtual environment.

Having someone emote feeling your tits without consent is unpleasant, but I'd say a lot less unpleasant than someone actually doing just that in real life. Better they learn proper social behaviour in an environment where the amount of harm they can cause is limited to words on screen.
    Last edited by Crazynotion; Jun 5th, 2002 at 11:24:31.

Thumbs down

Originally posted by Verloran

*passes Chtonian some Valium*

(...) but either way, I think you should take me up on that Valium.

Relax.
    Guess some people have a rule:
    " If you can not win a fair discussion - troll ! "

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast