Thread: As we approach the Beast's Lair

As we approach the Beast's Lair

After battling our way past the Great Ancient Dragons of Xark, Razor and Tchu, my compatriots and I headed north through the ruinous hills of inferno for what we hoped would be the final time. The malahs around us no longer troubled the group as we had learned how to erradicate them during our journeys. The ocasion Mortiig in this area of Inferno barely even raised our pulse anymore. We had become hardened, battle tested travellers in the lands guarded by Ergo and sought to finish our journey.

After traversing many windswept hills and valleys as well as avoiding pools of lava and bubbling fumeroles we finally saw ahead of us a cave that was clearly built by intelligent hands. Inside was the familiar sight of our guide upon the journey, Ergo.

To our great surprise, something seemed to have damaged our familiar guide and he was unable to provide us with any more help while we travelled on our way forward. Clearly dire forces must have been at work to disable Ergo.

"We'd better keep moving," I suggested to our leader Field Marshall Roedran, "there's no telling when the fiends that shut him down may come back."

Roedran shifted his cigar from one side of his mouth to the other and chewed on it thoughtfully for a moment. "Aye, you've got a point there Rusty," After a moments glance down at Ergo, Roe gave the command to the group of us "Let's move out!"

Our band continued forward into yet another portal and as we'd learned over our travels passed through with the aid of our rings.

Pandemonium stretched before us. The great whirling vortex most certainly was tearing the once great city apart piece by piece. "I don't think we have much time," observed Kyuzo "I'm getting bad feelings about that vortex..." Trusting the shade's attunement to spiritual forces Roe began to form a plan about how to move past the growing herds of beasts that swarmed the area.

To our surprise a group of omni warriors we had seen on the battlefield led by none other than Snowbunnie arrived at the edge of destruction just after us.

"Omni scum" Wraith muttered under his breath as Roedran approached their leader...

I had a feeling the omni felt the same about us, but had enough sense to keep my mouth shut about it.

Moments later Roe returned to us and informed us of an agreement that he and Snow had worked out. We were going to journey forward through the dangers of this land together as brothers at arms until the end. None of us could get beyond here alone, and thus we needed to cooperate. No matter what differences we had, none of us wanted to see The Beast destroy the source and Shadowlands. The destruction of Rubi-Ka could result and neither faction could possibly survive if that happened.

Snow and his compatriots proved to be honorable men when in battle against a common enemy. Together we battled our way past hundreds of creatures, moving ever deeper into this wasted territory known only as Pandemonium. The fights began becoming more and more difficult. There was no time to mourn our fallen comrades regardless of faction along the way as the evil creatures kept closing in behind us as we moved past them.

Finally, after more blood had been spilt than any would care to recount, Roe and Snow stood side by side facing the Beast with us arrayed behind them.

"You ready for this General?"

"You bet your ass I am Snow" Roedran fired back...

And thus our final battle was about to begin...

((feedback appreciated, been a long time since I wrote something like this))
    Last edited by Rusty; May 7th, 2004 at 12:35:18.
    Rustybolts, 220 Supreme Creator
    Kofiannan 220 Dictator
    Aalant, 210+ Savior
    Jeffcorwen 201+ Adv
    Rustyblades 204+ Enf

(00c: heres your feedback... GREAT! Go on, I cant get enough stories like these. More people should start writing ))
    Proud agent of the Disciples of Omni-Tek

Commissioner of the RKDC

"One should not lose one's temper unless one is certain of getting more and more angry to the end."
    William Butler Yeats

Keep it up, most interesting story

((OOC: Oy! Don´t stop now!))
    "On the frontlines, there is but one commandment...
    Thou Shalt Kill."

"As i stride knee deep through the dead, all is clear. I know what must be done...
    My cause is just...My will is strong...
    ...And my gun is very, very large!"
    The words of a true soldier.

(OOC: He can't continue either We are still raiding. This is a ongoing event we have gotten as far as portalholder before the Beast, but people that can't follow orders are holding us back )
    Banishedsoul 220 Trader on RK2 - [eqp] Proud General of Disciples of Omni-Tek
    Thordek 60 Soldier on RK2 - Twink in Training Visit us at www.disciplesot.org
    Naull 100 Doctor on RK2 - Going for 125 for CH whoring. After that who knows..
    My type is a SAE
    Socializer 86% / Achiever 46% / Explorer 46% / Killer 20%

Re: As we approach the Beast's Lair

Originally posted by Rusty
    Finally, after more blood had been spilt than any would care to recount, Roe and Snow stood side by side facing the Beast with us arrayed behind them.

"You ready for this General?"

"You bet your ass I am Snow" Roedran fired back...

And thus our final battle was about to begin...
    Too cool Rusty!

Just be sure not to mention when we took that wrong turn during the second try... oops.

Iron RoedranWill 220/AI23
    Field Marshall | Rimor

Wewt Im in it to! Very nice Rusty cant w8 to see how it ends....

hehe, Wraith, you mistyped your Nick ^^
    Kofiannan 220 Dictator
    Aalant, 210+ Savior
    Jeffcorwen 201+ Adv
    Rustyblades 204+ Enf

"Ok, general, what're our orders?" I inquired over the com...

"ksssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh................... ..."

"What's going on in there? Do you need me to bring you back?"

"kssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.............. ................."

'Damnit, I'd better go in and see if there's anything I can do...

The last thing I remembered seeing before I woke up near the Alter of Post Death Reclaim was a huge monstrosity sending a nova ring outward toward me laying waste to Bully before finally burning through my Bio cocoon and throwing me against the wall. I don't think I'll ever forget the bodies that were layed before me as I gasped for air and entered the peaceful state of the insurance buffer.

Outside, a few refusgees had gathered. Our old leaders were not among them. What happened to them still remains a mystery to me, but the words I heard at that moment brought determination back into my being.

"Alright, I'll take hold of this thing if you people think you can listen to some orders from a woman."

Standing before me was an omni I had seen on the battlefield many times. Supersolid stood defiantly facing the Hiisi mobs staring into our faces and had the courage to rally us together. Not in the name of Omni or the Clans, but that of humanity.

Something changed in all of us that day standing behind SS. I still can't put my finger on it, but it's there, almost like our backs had straightened and our resolve had hardened merely by seeing her determined face.

And so we fought on...

Behind SS's dedicated lead and excellent surveyal of the battlefield we were able to achieve tactical successes at every point. Countering the overwhelming numbers with our brains rather than our brawn. As our enemies fell before us and we finally returned to The Beast's Lair, we all made a vow to one another:

"We ain't leaving until this job's done"
    Kofiannan 220 Dictator
    Aalant, 210+ Savior
    Jeffcorwen 201+ Adv
    Rustyblades 204+ Enf

Inside the lair it became clear to us just how daunting our task truly was. This monster that we had been sent to dispatch was unlike anything we had ever encountered before anywhere in Rubi-Ka or the vast reaches of the Shadowlands. It's shear power alone instantly killed one of our warriors as he attempted to engage it hastily.

We quickly pulled back away from the creature to formulate a plan.

"First things first, we're gonna need Dx and Doom to handle the brunt of this guy's blows." Zante suggested "There's no way I can handle him once my shield starts to fail"

"Good point Zante" SS replied, "Rusty, can you and Night anchor us here in case some of us go down in the fight?"

"No, sorry SS, this room seems to be shielding us from the source. I can't bind us here at all" I answered.

"Guess we do this the old fashioned way then.....get ready guys"

With that, Dx and Doom headed in to get the monstrosity's attention while the rest of us waited. We knew that if we got too close the nova would kill half of us and that it would be certain death to let anyone other than those two take the beating it would deal out.

Once the Beast was sufficiently occupied with Doom, we felt safe to start working on him. Compared to how angry it was with him, we were merely flies.

"Look out! It's summoned help!" Inarion called

"I'm on it!" shouted Phione, and with that she proceeded to bring them in so the rest of us could take them down.

The minions nearly succeeded in saving their master because the distraction was enough to nearly kill Doom as our doctors had gotten their attention first. Quick work by Inar, Zante and Phione saved them though and we proceeded to slaughter them while Doom and Dx handled the big guy.

He tried this tactic one more time but we were ready and waiting for them. We set a trap this time to trick them into coming away from their master allowing us to slaughter them again.

Slowly, we worked to bring this animal down. Bit by bit we could tell that we were weakening it. When he started to get desperate all hell broke loose.

"We've lost Gryj! Gryj is down"

"Damnit, Phex too!"

"Get him under control guys!"

It was no use though. The Beast has gone into a rage and was starting to kill the flies. Eventually, everything scratches what itches them I suppose. Before I knew it, Bully was destroyed before my eyes again, but now wasn't the time to mourn or replace him. I simply refocused onto the Beast with my pistol and struggled to weaken him furthur with my expert knowledge of Explosives.

Finally, it fell to our onslaught and we noticed that another portal had opened as it died...

"What's the plan SS?" Gimp asked.

"What else, we head in...be ready for anything"

The portal led us into a strange temple where we saw another droid that identified itself as Number 9.

Nothing could have prepared us for what Number 9 revealed to us however...

We had killed the "protector" of the Source and forced "their" hands because they were watching. And what did he mean by unevolved humans?

This all led to more questions than we had when the Shadowlands were first accessed. Who were "they" and why had Ergo led us to confront the Beast if he were really the Guardian of Shadows as he claimed. What all this meant truly perplexed us.

What was the true nature of Ergo, and who was coming...?
    Kofiannan 220 Dictator
    Aalant, 210+ Savior
    Jeffcorwen 201+ Adv
    Rustyblades 204+ Enf

Originally posted by Rusty
    hehe, Wraith, you mistyped your Nick ^^
    rofl fixed now thanks for pointing that out.