Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Online Manual

The tradeskill system needs to be addressed in more detail. I've got about 80 or so hrs in the game and am pretty clueless as to what I'm supposed to do with an "instruction disk".

Post Things that need INDEPTH explaination

1. CLUSTERS/IMPLANTS.
    2. An exmple Over-Equipping chart.
    3. Nano skills (how to spend points, how to find out what to spend and what not to.
    4. CLUSTERS/IMPLANTS.
    5. How to team. List positions [tank/healer/crowd control] and how to keep your team alive.
    6. Missions. How to get them, find them, complete them.
    7. CLUSTERS/IMPLANTS.
    8. Example startup supplies and their purpose. For example, I always give my new alts the following: 6 backpacks (a couple with symbols) to keep gear and loot sorted, a lockpick, a key duper, nano/health kits, some armor, ammo.
    9. Proper chat etiquette. As in 'Do not keep asking the same **** over and over.'
    10. CLUSTERS/IMPLANTS.
    11. A real map (or a couple) showing whompas, grid access, zones, cities and points of interest.
    12. Explaination of NODROP items.
    13. CLUSTERS/IMPLANTS.
    14. Crucial skills to not ignore (First Aid, Run Speed).
    15. IP Reset.
    16. Did I mention CLUSTERS/IMPLANTS?

More later....

a few things ...

When it is white, your target is a lot less powerful than you. If this is a monster, you will receive only a nominal experience- point bonus for killing it.

Finally, when the bar is grey, there is no reliable information about the target.

White ??? I would call that color grey, and the grey color Dark Red. (Or is the grey suppose to be white, and i havent seen a Grey monster yet ???)

In the Action View part (Controlling Your Character) you mention all the key for how to move w,a,s,d and arrows, but you dont inform about the run forever key (0 on numpad). Its mentioned later in chapter 7 Using the keyboard, but perhaps you should point to that chapter in the movement part of the Action View.

To add a player to the friends window you first need to create a reference of that character.

No you dont, all you need to do is type /cc addbuddy <name> or send a tell to that person, that person is then added to the unknown part of your friends list, then right click and hold down the button and choose the add friend/accept button (person with a yellow star behind it i think, unless you have changed the skin).

Target next unfriendly creature - TAB
    Target next friendly creature - CRTL+TAB

This is correct, most of the time. But as a neut i sometimes experince that i have to use CRTL+TAB to target a monster, that is shooting at me. And i dont consider someone shooting at me a friend. And when im in a team my team members always gets targeted when i just hit the TAB key, and i consider my team members friends. I guess this is more of a bug then a manual flaw, or perhaps that neuts aren't that good at knowing who are friendly and not, and we get easily confused

Think that was about it for now ...

Smile manual

Give an accurate explanation of the critical number (NNN) in the weapon damage description.

Clear up all the misinformation regarding implants. Specifically, which ql clusters can be combined with which ql implants, and the results.

Thnx

Lightbulb There are seven areas that I feel the manual are lacking information about.

Detailed explanation of how the combat is calculated
    How is my chance to hit an enemy calculated? I think it is my attack skills compared to his evade skill of my attack that determines my percentage to hit. But what if the to values are equal, what is my likely how of hitting the enemy then. Also how does the agg/def slider affect the combat? If I have maximum agg does my hit chance and damage increase or not and what happens with my evade skill if I max the agg.
    I have read on the Internet that the AC only reduces the damage. And the damage reeducation is 10% of my AC. This information would be nice to have in the manual.
    You could also describe what determines which member in a party the monster attacks. I think the agg/def slider affects which one they will attack, but how is this calculated.

Add all the nanos in the game to the manual.
    The nanos should first be sorted by the profession they apply to. Then by the type of nano (Pet, Buff, Pet Buff, Combat, etc) that they represent and lastly by the skill requirement (based on the minimum value that you must have in order to be able to use the nano. Not on the different skills type).
    The nano list should contain the following fields.
    Nano name, Type, Very Short Description, Skill Requirements, Range, Attack Delay, Recharge Delay, Nano Cost, Duration, Availability

Availability contains the information where you can get the nano (normal shop, advanced shop, Unique (only available in mission or on monsters).

List all the skills and the cost for each profession. (I have gathered this information from the Internet and put together this information in an excel file (I can send this information to you (anarchy online support) so that you can make it available from you site).

Include the following three maps.
    One map that show the different areas and how they are connected to each other (so that you now how you can get to Greater Tir County, etc).
    One map that show all the whompas in the game and how they are connected.
    One map that shows where all the grids are located (also to have a list that displays the computer literacy skill required in order to be able to use the grid terminal).

Explain the relation between implants and cluster
    Explain how you make implants. And what happens if you put a ql lvl 100 cluster into a ql lvl 10 implant. I have read on the Internet that the ql lvl of the implant determines the maximum level the cluster can have in the implant. So placing a ql lvl 100 cluster into a ql lvl 10 implant would degrade the ql lvl 100 cluster into a ql lvl 10 cluster due to the implant.

Explain macros and script.
    Macros are very useful. Exceptionally an assist macro for team mission so that all the members attack the same enemy. “/macro Assist /assist”.

Have a list of the lvl’s and how they affect the character.
    The list should contain the following fields (Lvl, Team, Pvp, XP to next lvl, Total XP, IP to next lvl, Total IP, Skill Cap, Title)
    Team should show the lvl’s that you can team up with.
    Pvp should show the lvl’s you can PvP against.

thanx

Hey I think whoever designed this game did a great job, all we have to do now is have them give us something to work with as far as the advanced functions of the game. I've already said my peace about the manual, but I understand how it is sometimes with demanding customers because I'm in the Army(E-4) and I support a joint unit with lots of stars(Generals and Admirals) in the Pacific. So I was just posting to say you folks are doing a great job and that I see great things coming out of this game.

Hoo-ah!!

The manual needs to state up front

that whle any given profession may have an ability the items to use that ability may not be available in game.

Martial artist skill bow special - can't remmeber the last time I saw one of those.

The truth is that no matter what is done to the manual, until the game provides for the diversity that the professions are capable of, nothing it says will adequately prepare someone for the game.

If Funcom is unwilling to make readily available those items that make playing the variations possible then the only update I can see worthwhile are character guides.

ie.

The following Guides outline each profession and how to construct your profession based upon what items are available.

I haven't read really the rest of the thread.

I saw some people descibed very well what miss for the new player in AO (complete interface explanation, as well as basic rules like what are the ncus, the agg slider etc).

What I would like to see also is a 2nd part in the manual, dedicated to regular player, with every part of the game mechanics explained. You can do this, much better than the players, it is easy for you, just to write down simple formula (as you did for PvP ranking). People want to know the exact effect of ranged init on weapon speed, of agg slider on evades, of nano init on nano, of crit chance, etc.

This is something everybody want ! Sure this part would clearly not be for the new player, but would be more than usefull for the regular player.

Oh and regular update on these rules when you changed them.

How can a fairly new player guess the "seconds" you use in-game are not real seconds but FC-made second (1.2x a real second). This can't be guess easily, and can lead to many confusions.

How many time I saw player said a Fixer HoT have a 5sec timer, when it has a 6 "real seconds" timer (5x1.2) ?

Also, I am still wondering how exactly your evades affect your chance to be hit... and your chance to be crit ; ).

n00b stuff

Lots of good things listed here thus far. Something that has been mentioned, and cannot be stressed enough, is a comprehensive, take-em-by-the-hand newbie guide. Not a prof guide, or a lecture on how to not be a gimpy agent/NT/nanomage ect. A guide that starts as soon as you enter the backyard (sit down, check inventory, spend IP, upload nanos, ect), and runs untill you leave for the Big City. If I had a cred for every n00b I've had to take by the hand and guide through his first level, I could afford another Yalm.

After that, an intermediate guide. Something that includes scripts, implants, basic tradeskills, and the like. Some advice on Teaming. Stuff that we as experianced players dont even mess with till we get an alt into his teens (ok, that =I= dont mess with. I have been here since release, I have a system for working a new alt ).

Advanced guides? No. Plenty of them on fansites. No comprehensive list of nanos, no implant schemes or anythng like that. After all, a lot of the fun comes from figuring out how the world works. But doing what amounts to stranding some poor sucker on Rubi-Ka with a worn-out pistol and little else is just unethical.
    ++++++++++++++++++
    Swing
    199 Solitus Engeneer
    Omni-Tek, TestLive
    "It used to be that brave heroes would go out into the darkness and slay monsters. Now that we've banished the darkness, we've discovered we're all monsters."

Thumbs up Other suggestions

Don't know if this has already been mentioned but..

Skills.

We're having an IP reset soon because tons of people didn't understand what to do with their skills. Some agents put points in sneak attack because it looked like it fit, some folks always max dodge-ranged when their weapon doesn't depend on it at all, and others constantly raise stats that they just don't need at all.

Basic info on "when should I increase my skills? Which ones are important for my profession? Will my race ever excell at my chosen profession or is this a lost cause?"

I've had to explain this to countless newbies a million times.. also, a brief explanation of how to allocate IP points.
    I just reactivated my old account...

Older characters:
    Coy "Nieshka" Bobieshka, Solitus Engineer. Omni.
    Seeker "Finniksa" Sorentzah, Opifex Martial Artist. Omni.
    Pious "Adnuntiatrix" Mohenjodaro, Opifex Fixer. Clan. Rubi-Ka Shadow Force. *dead org*
    Necole "Nikse" Cordiero, Solitus Soldier. Clan.
    ---My friends make me alt.

Originally posted by Zuh
    What I would like to see also is a 2nd part in the manual, dedicated to regular player, with every part of the game mechanics explained. You can do this, much better than the players, it is easy for you, just to write down simple formula (as you did for PvP ranking). People want to know the exact effect of ranged init on weapon speed, of agg slider on evades, of nano init on nano, of crit chance, etc.
    [troll off]
    I know FC thinks finding these things out is a part of the gaming experience, and that's the the answer customers get when they try to ask any questions about it. However, as Zuh said, explanation of the game mechanics would be greatly apreciated.
    [troll on]

/G13
    pirates. with lasers.
    Are you having an argument on the internet, again?

Gene13 - on a space odyssey since 2001
    XXX - N

Some day your ship will come in, but you will be at the airport.

Re: Other suggestions

Originally posted by Finniksa
    some folks always max dodge-ranged when their weapon doesn't depend on it at all
    Please hurry.

/G13
    pirates. with lasers.
    Are you having an argument on the internet, again?

Gene13 - on a space odyssey since 2001
    XXX - N

Some day your ship will come in, but you will be at the airport.

Thumbs down Homogimp?

Originally posted by Ankokujin
    3) Change the name of the breed Homonano to Homogimpo to more accuratly reflect it's nature.
    IMHO Homonano is my favorite choice for most professions (save outright combat ones like enf and MA). Homonanos will always have better nano skills, and therefore have an advantage in several professions:

Crat: I was charming mobs while my solitus equals were not able to.
    Trader: I can solo reds easy.. fight, calm, heal, repeat.
    MP: Big fat pets all the time.

One thing to mention is that yes I have been playing since day one, and Homonano is by far the hardest class to play. Don't give me this poor atrox crap, with the huge str/stam, I see atrox of many professions, although gimped nanowise, lasting longer due to sheer stamina.

In that light: Mention the classes and professions with a scale of difficulty of playing. My first char was an opifex MA, and although I fubar'd his IP's bad, he can still solo red mobs easily. WHereas... If I'd picked a nanomage for MA... *shivers*...

Arrow Re: a few things ...

Originally posted by Crowly
    B]Target next unfriendly creature - TAB
    Target next friendly creature - CRTL+TAB[/B]

This is correct, most of the time. But as a neut i sometimes experince that i have to use CRTL+TAB to target a monster, that is shooting at me. And i dont consider someone shooting at me a friend. And when im in a team my team members always gets targeted when i just hit the TAB key, and i consider my team members friends. I guess this is more of a bug then a manual flaw, or perhaps that neuts aren't that good at knowing who are friendly and not, and we get easily confused
    A more accurate description would be:

Target next MOB/player not in your faction - TAB
    Target next MOB/player in your faction - CTRL+TAB

Which can be rather annoying at times. If you are teamed, team members should be considered to be in your own faction and in a mission, MOBs should be considered to be in a different faction for tab/ctrl+tab purposes.

Thumbs up Taking more notes

Whoa! I have a looong list of things to write about now, and it is growing still. Gonna be quite a bit of work.

But, I deleted some purely sarcastic posts. Please keep it constructive. Jump us when we break stuff, not when we work with you to fix it.

And yes, there are numerous mistakes, and bad wording, and difficult - and lacking - explanations in the current manual. We're writing it all over, so the mistakes from there will not be copy-pasted into the new one.

We will probably not explain too much of the numbers and formulas from the game mechanics, but some will be in there. Gotta keep a few secrets, to avoid the game being purely a math game.

Explain All the Sliders in the missions, ive met lvl 200's and they dont know exactly.

I asked an ark the offical anwser was

"Put them all on green and it will be easy, and all on red will be hard"

And i said thats a terrible anwser, i wanna know the diffence between, good and bad, stealth ect..................

and he said well that my anwser and he left!

Please Put the mission sliders in, also give a list of common bugs, such as the one that got me killed last night,

BAD GUY WITH HEAD CUT OFF, this is when they run around the mission at warp speed, while still hitting you. i think this is a pathing problem, anyhow! this would help.

Also make detailed maps of

Newland City (i know its small)

Omni Ent ( very big please, this would help newbies)

Tir (same as ent)

thanks for you time/

Question where were these people?

Wow, where were these people when the book was written in the first place. I stumbled around for weeks and didnt learn much in the original. Most of these posts are great, some of the items they mention I would like to know now and I have been playing for months. Can't wait to see the new book!

Keep up the good work guys!

Beginners' Guide

Of all the games I've played on my computers (starting with PONG on the TV -- yes, I've been around computers since IBM360 ruled), the best Beginners' Guide was in Homeworld.

It's a bit late to implement an in-game system like that, but a print version could be done. It goes through all the basic features and commands (including 3-D navigation) while covering the history so you feel part of the new world faster. By the time you start into the scenarios (leaving the backyard area in AO), you understand the basic mechanics well enough to be comfortable trying new combinations.

I don't mind helping the lost souls in the game, I was one for a couple of months too -- there are still fundamental skills I haven't quite mastered after a year, but sightseeing is too much fun to work on them all the time. The problem is that too many people get frustrated and it shows on the general civility of the chat channels and forum boards. The OOC channels frequently digress quickly into serious venting. The simple things should be just that. You shouldn't have to "discover" that you have a backpack with weapons and other useful items in it.

An advanced beginners' guide would be good too. Designed for your first visit out of the backyards into the real world. It could cover teaming, guilds, tradeskills in general, travel, types of shops, and equipment planning and uses for the common items.

An advanced guide for the more experienced player? I don't know about that. Some things really are better left waiting to be discovered.

Social tips:

A few social tips for the chatcommands. The best is maybe not to use /tell when you standing next to a person, especially when you beg for a buff and/or dont know that person. Use vicnity instead, as the person can have several other /tell's going on concerning trade or other topics.

I know some people puts people on /ignore automatic if they got tells from strangers standing next to them. As im a trader myself, it can be very annoying and i have needed to do the same myself sometimes.

And people will remember how you treat them. Behave good and you get friends, behave bad, people remember and it will follow you.
    Last edited by Xeni; Jun 1st, 2002 at 20:02:24.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast