Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The CoT, Omni in disguise?

Madam Representative,

Thank you for such a wonderful reply and admittance to the inadequacies of the new Council of Truth and the Clerical Staff. It is by far a better thing to admit a mistake then it is to try to cover up or do a run around, for that you have gained my respect.

However, my point I tried to make still stands, and my warning as well. This, my dear Madam Representative, is not addressed at you, but to the entire body of the new sitting council. Make your rules of decorum, post them, and then open the doors for all clansmen to witness the future sessions. Yet, do not keep the doors closed for too long, nor let heavy handed spokesmen speak for the council, it will only cement the fears already there in the minds of the common clansmen from the old Council of Truth.

Respectfully,
    Dr. Suitt
    Common Clansman
    Offer a flower to your enemy..
    If he refuses it, offer a hand
    If he refuses it, offer a bullet
    If he refuses it, give it to him anyways...

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Isn't it just a relief when you wake up in the morning and find you didnt wet the bed?!

Beyond your perfection,
    beneath you and who you used to be
    awaits who I am.

Excess Radio! Bringing you tunage 25/7!

[Logs *will* be posted. Do any of you have any idea how sucky it is to clean 4 hours worth of meetings from the new, horrible logs? Have some patience.]

((Heh, I haven't even tried. It's easier to copy them over from the in game chat log window. Of course, I had to have a guildie tell me how to even get that window so I could do that.... I do so hate how logging works now. ))
    Delia "Aerinyi" Jett
    General of Whisper's Edge
    Atlantean

((ahh..don't you love the impatience of the unrulely? LOL.. Great fun so far all! ))

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Isn't it just a relief when you wake up in the morning and find you didnt wet the bed?!

Beyond your perfection,
    awaits who I am.

((yep! having fun as well. Nice to have storyline related news to sink your teeth into.))
    BigGreen
    Advisor of Rising Phoenix
    www.risingphoenix.org

current setup

((Good times, good times. ))
    Delia "Aerinyi" Jett
    General of Whisper's Edge
    Atlantean

[OOC] Update on Moderation

This is an OOC Post.

Guys, neither I or anyone else in the Clerical Staff wants to continue trying to make a point, which has been made clear as day to any player reading this thread.

I don't mean to be rude, but people...neither the CS or anyone else is in ANY position to make demands.

ARK is working WITH the Clerical Staff...not for our benefit, but for the benefit of BOTH Roleplaying Communities (Atlantean & Rimor).

Now do you think they would continue providing the support if arguements go on an on?...if I was an ARK Director and saw people bickering and they refuse to compromise...I'd move people out of that project, into one that does work. And I think most of you would do the say, if it doesn't work and your resources are limited...would you keep doing it?

Frankly the Atlantean CS now needs some help, we need a volunteer.

We need someone that can do the following:

Setting up Agenda/Speaker lists for CoT Meetings

Why is this position vacant now? partly because of the arguement and bickering, there is only so much a person will deal with, and everyone in the CS is a Clan Leader who also has other responsabilities, and it's on a volunteer basis.

We're looking for fresh blood, meaning that if you're fairly new to the game but are into roleplaying, you could be the next member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.

What are the benefits?

Knowing you're helping ARK and the storyline come to life, and having fun doing it. That's it.

If you want more I think FC is still hiring coders and world builders (check their corporate site).

Currently moderation is made by the Clerical Staff, and if things get out of control during a meeting...well then people may find themselves outside the building.

Limited resources are not just ARK's, but the Clerical Staff and it's members. I want to spend 2 PRODUCTIVE hours, not waste even 20 minutes over arguements with one player.

There WILL be a limited time for each representative to speak, and within that time you can RESPECTFULLY address every player at the meeting to either make a point, a plea, a suggestion, share an idea, whatever you think would be good.

Please don't try to pull too many gimmics, and I say too many...because we rplayers do like to pull them from time to time, they are entertaining, fun to do...and...fun to watch.

Do we expect everyone to behave? of course not, some will roleplay pissed off people who disagree with someone, but don't drag everyone else's time into it, use your own alotted time to do it, and with respect...name calling won't get you far IC or OOC.

That is the beauty of rplaying....you have no idea what is going to happen next!

A representative may even roleplay showing up drunk from a party and mummble a motion or idea and then fall asleep, someone may try to convince the council to protect the leets and give them a protected region where they cannot be hunted into extincion, someone else may ask that the council try and approach the Unredeemed to make a deal or something...sure gimmics are expected, but not every time, and at every meeting.

There will be serious In-character issues, Old Athen Restoration, Strengthening of Defense of our cities, increasing the support from the galaxy in our favor, treaties with neutrals perhaps, maybe even a new peace treaty with omnis, the Dust Brigade....there are TONS of stuff we can do, and then get everyone involved with decisions once they are made.

For example; if the council decided that the DB needs to go, and I mean go as in 'eliminate a threat' and erradicate them...it will be up to all players who support the CoT to organize, plan and execute such decision...not just representatives or clan leaders...but any players that wants to be involved!

Lots of effort MAY show FC that the players are trying to make a world change, and then the possibility of actually removing the DB from the playfields where they are openly standing to perhaps a more hidden position (heck it could lead to a new dungeon, the DB hideout or stronghold, can you imagine how cool would that be?) could be taken into consideration by world builders.

Of course this is an example, and it would take more than just the CoT reps and clan leaders to do it, it would take a LOT of players to make a difference.

The CS had preliminary meetings, we organized and tried to plan the meeting as best as we could, there is a learning curve, and as we learn that works and what doesn't, we'll be moving forward.

And I'd like to say sorry to anyone that may gotten offended by my in-character approach.

I've been roleplaying a clan military commander since 2001 (through 2 toons, father and son, two generations), and I had to tone down my attitude during the planning and formation of the CoT...mostly for OOC reasons to be frank, the CS needed more diplomacy than a strong hand.

But now that things are more solid (and trust me on this, we've been working on this since last year, things are a LOT more solid now)...I've slowly gone back to being the hardass, can o' whupass, tough and no-nonsense commander (but still honorable of course, I won't shoot you in the back, I'll do it in front of you). So of course all the bickering won't sit well with Cmdr. Windguaerd and his sense of practicality, respect and time.

So how about we try and calm down IC and OOC, and try to have some fun shall we?

Respectfully yours

Player of Windguaerd
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

OOC also

Just fyi Windguaerd, I'm perfectly calm OOC and having fun with the storyline. In-character, BG is a bit disturbed by what's going on but OOC I'm just enjoying a lively debate.

I respect the CS for doing what they have done, and while I have reservations about some aspects of what has happened I would like to congratulate you and the CS staff on the hard work so far. I respect that IC you are a tough, no-nonsense commander; I have different priorities perhaps IC, but that should not take away from what you all have done.

Just like Nevver likes to play the villain, I like to play the radical. BG the character is much more militant, more outspoken than I am in RL. I think that in a game, war is a better story than peace, but I would never pursue that in real life for example. What if you read a book where the two sides mass up for a huge conflict, then meet on the battle field and talk it out? Somewhat of a letdown I'd say. But in RL that is the best possible solution.

I feel that explaining this will undermine my in-character position, but as real feelings are involved no matter how much we try not to let that happen, I would also like to apologize if anything I've said in-character has resulted in hurt feelings or worse. That's not to say that BG won't still advocate for what he believes in! But I do recognize ooc that what I say IC could cause someone to be upset. It's tough to balance!

Whether or not my org joins the CoT I wish you luck.
    BigGreen
    Advisor of Rising Phoenix
    www.risingphoenix.org

current setup

OOC here too

Wind, I wont make this an ooc attack, but this is all RP.. im not pissed upset or anything about this other then IG RP. This has been alot of fun and if your not willing to take RP for a grain of salt then perhaps you shouldnt be dealing with it all.. you need to realize that there will be people that speak out, and if there arent thats a real boring story line.. Windguard should do his job and if you dont wanna deal with people like Shespy/Jubillie then have another rep deal with them.

Simply put, to try to stifle RP would really suck, everyone is having alot of fun and theres no reason to call this off, especially with solidified grounds for the whole thing. There were rumors, these rumors were never put to rest, there are problems with the form of governing for the procedures and people have complaints.. thats the bottom line.

quick add on, Wind, your character may be some whoop ass general but remmeber, hes clerical staff, not a drill instructor, we dont answer to him anymore then when he says quiet down in the CoT.. remmeber, hes Clerical heh.. go get him a pen! :P

Seriously though, all of the people speaking in this forum and in the CoT whether they are clerical staff or guild members belong being regarded to on completly equal ground, we are all either very respected members of our guilds (and probbaly high ranking) or the leaders.
    Last edited by Tikkles; Apr 28th, 2004 at 12:07:57.

Dr. Chong “Huurr” Suitt sits in his bronto hide leather covered chair, smoking his pipe while reading the newly disclosed minutes of the first session of the newly formed Council of Truth. After, voicing many concerns about the newly formed council and coming to a realization that in fact this new council and new clerical staff are just that, new. They as it have been so eloquently described as being a child. Yet, with those who comprise the council, all seem to be leaders of their own clans, and should know how to conduct business. So, he writes to his newly appointed representatives another warning.

My most respectable representatives,

After reading, and re-reading both the transcripts of the first official Council of Truth session as well as doing some research I have found a major flaw that needs to be addressed.

Over the course of the past few days the discussion on the open or closed meetings drew many angry clansmen out of our regular routines and took notice. It was one of the gravest concerns that have caused many to voice their anger and confusion for the purpose of the new Council of Truth as well as the agenda that was set for the inaugural session.

I have searched, although not to the point a professional would, through the records both on the CoT’s own grid site as well as the official world forums and have not seen where it was set in the agenda a vote would be held for future meetings to be open or closed.

I looked on the official CoT forums were the first session was announced and it was not there. I looked on the calendar and agendas and it was not there. Nor, after reviewing the opening speeches made by the respectful Vixentrox who outlined the agenda that day for the session was it mentioned. Instead, after what was a most pleasant and orderly procession of clans who followed almost exactly to the word of rules set for the procession of declaration and joining, it was announced there would be such a vote. Unexpected by many, and shock for others.

So, you see, my most esteemed representatives, it was not surprising that the representatives, as well as some on lookers became unruly.

For any democratic society to survive, and actually expect people to follow along the lines, rules and policies a representative body vote on you need to have open debates. I do not mean open debates from the general populace, for that would indeed be chaos and disorderly. But, to throw out a motion to vote on an un-expecting crowd who did not have any forewarning and then to expect them to be calm and collective and rational is foolish, and in many ways, corporate.

I would suggest, in the future, when you do gather for your sessions, be them open to the public or closed, you make sure you have done everything possible to let it be known what is on the agenda and do not waver from that agenda. For I do promise you, there are many who are not among those clans who have joined the new Council of Truth, and we will be watching, hoping and do doubt praying you achieve your goals, our goals, all of the clansmen’s goals. Yet, I also promise you, we will also point to your mistakes. So I will end this with Mr. Radiman’s own words used on that day.

“YOUR clerical council to rethink the mistakes we've made.....to see how we can prevent going down the same lane again and again fail....”

Respectfully,
    Dr. Suitt
    Common Clansman

(OOC)
    First of all I would like to offer to the Clerical staff, the Ark/GMs/FC who have made this all possible a big thank you! What you have achieved is something no game that I have ever played in a MMORPG (feels really good about putting back the RPG in that). With that said, and that being the most important part of this ooc message I would like to say something.

Those who are behind the scenes, those who partake in this new found political forum we call the Council of Truth need to understand. This is all role play, and you need to really understand that I hope I speak for the large majority who have posted on this thread that no OOC thoughts went into the past few day’s debates. Calm down, enjoy the fun, and if something like this upsets you in a OOC manner then don’t partake in the back and fourth. Do not ask people to calm down and wait, or to play it your way. This is a political forum in the strictest sense (and a damn fun one at that!) There will be dissenters, there will be spin masters, there will be anarchist who try to foil your every effort in a role play way. (I would hope no one who takes part in this would try to tear down this wonderful wonderful thing you have done).

I would also like to let you know that this character will continue on the trend I have started, just to forewarn any of the clerical staff and the new council reps. But! Remember, it will always be in fun, and always to help keep the spark that is role play a blaze.

Respectfully,
    The player of Huurr.

Beyond your perfection,
    awaits who I am.

Re: The CoT, Omni in disguise?

Zane looked up at the recent news postings and ramblings about what was happening with his fellow clan members. Now biding his time in Gridstream Productions, Zane still felt the urge to look over the political happenings. He almost choked a bit when looking at the recent comments of the Council of Truth.

"Politics, regardless of whose side you are on in a conflict is politics, there's no way around it," he spoke to himself remembering the initial meetings of the Council of Truth and how they began to impact his life with the now defunct family of Vitae Covente. "The problem with politics is that everyone has some sort of an agenda, an ego to hold up, whether they believe it or not."

He turn turned to his computer terminal and typed a response message.

"Subject: To those whom are frustrated and begin to think that the Council of Truth is really Omni-Tek in disguise.

Don't loose hope in what can be done, every system has its flaws, especially one based around those whom have so many different and eager beliefs. Opposed to the mindless squabbling, join together and bring up issues that you may feel need addressing. That's the same way that Council of Truth got reformed, and will be the sway way that those whom are frustrated by the happenings of the Council of Truth is only a vehicle in restraint of true Clan goals."

Zane then sat back and read over his message before adding: "I do remember that the dream is still alive."
    Nexeus Fatale
    Former GSP DJ
    website

Zane "Tharkael" Conmy

- "The secret to "the list" is that once you are on it, you automatically become Timelapse's and Regulas' chew toy."

ooc

This is not Harmony Online. The controversy the CoT has generated is a good thing.

Theed

Open/Shut

It should be obvious that any open discussion in these forums regarding the new Council is going to illicit controversy and tension between those who have chosen to support and those who have not.

It is also educational to see who has been paying attention and studying their information carefully and those who have not.
    I for one am appalled that the leadership of ANY CLAN would accuse those involved in this effort of being involved in relations with the Corporation by their actions and efforts regarding the CoT.
    I think it proves undoubtedly that what this has it's roots in is jealousy and greed.
    Jealousy because your voice was not the loudest. Jealousy because your decision was not enough to sway the vote.
    You sent a representative to the proceedings. Though late, in doing so it is presumed that you did so with the knowledge of what your representative was there to do and participate in.

The very mention of not knowing until the last minute that you had to shell out a measly 1 million credits at these proceedings I think sums up your ignorance to the agenda in the first place.
    It also provides a clear indication that the monatary expense of those involved in this effort is of the highest importance to you insteada of the actual agenda and proceedings.

That having been said, I should hope that the leadership of Arion and it's members have the wisdom to learn from this situation and take a more positive footing in the future.
    Use what you have learned here to come back to the table with a more constructive methodology than you presented to the OPEN PUBLIC this time around.

I would also suggest that if you wish to retain any respect from your peers you would be wise not to throw accussations and lables at the rest of us in such a manner as to invite the idle trash into the fray along side you.

To do so makes it seem more likely that you are in league with the enemy then those you presume to accuse.

Think about it.
    Charissa Maephina Vein
    212 Metaphysicist
    My RP Profile Conflicted Voice Pak Plus!
    Somehow i just know that Haiku Poets, Mimes and Martha Stewart will have something to do with the end of the world... ~Escritores

Hmmm.....*smiles thoughtfully*

"Be careful what you wish for, you may get it..."
    "Ignorance is the greatest evil we will ever face" . -Dr. James Cone, ca 1990 CE

Available for Weddings, Mediations, Treaties, Celebrations, and Hugs...
    Neutrals come join #neutrality on irc.funcom.com! Everyone welcome.
    Counseling available by appointment-Priestess Cathryn Ardman
    Cat's Closet

Favourite Chat Colours: 250 200 250, try it!
    I am an adventurer, of COURSE I like going camping! :P

Maybe... just maybe...

Originally posted by Maephina

I for one am appalled that the leadership of ANY CLAN would accuse those involved in this effort of being involved in relations with the Corporation by their actions and efforts regarding the CoT.
    I think it proves undoubtedly that what this has it's roots in is jealousy and greed.
    Jealousy because your voice was not the loudest. Jealousy because your decision was not enough to sway the vote.
    You sent a representative to the proceedings. Though late, in doing so it is presumed that you did so with the knowledge of what your representative was there to do and participate in.

The very mention of not knowing until the last minute that you had to shell out a measly 1 million credits at these proceedings I think sums up your ignorance to the agenda in the first place.
    It also provides a clear indication that the monatary expense of those involved in this effort is of the highest importance to you insteada of the actual agenda and proceedings.

I would also suggest that if you wish to retain any respect from your peers you would be wise not to throw accussations and lables at the rest of us in such a manner as to invite the idle trash into the fray along side you.

To do so makes it seem more likely that you are in league with the enemy then those you presume to accuse.

Think about it.
    Zane received a note next to the current attachment with the words "Edited for relevancy". As he read over Maephina's recent return comments to the issues around the Council of Truth, he could only shake his head a moment. Zane sighed a moment, remembering some of these frustrations that were developing in the beginning and wondered a few things. First of all, how clear is the criteria for Council of Truth participation. He figured somewhere it had to be, and maybe those persons had to refer to it.
    Second though it just seemed that this was going to turn into a political nightmare and leave a bad taste in people's mouths. Zane wondered if there was some type of orientation about participating in the Council of Truth for those representatives whom were chosen to participate.
    He signed and made wrote these ideas to himself, and then scribbled one last one that read "Maybe the problem is that there's no real PR around the Council of Truth. People seem tethered to getting the thing up, but maybe there just has been very little conversations and talk with those whom are participating with the Council of Truth works."
    He reviewed his notes, and then wrote down one last note.
    "Better communication between the Clans and CoT on an individual level." His terminal flickered as a message appeared though his com.
    "Got my message?" The voice asked, it was familiar to him, and had been feeding information to Zane about the happenings of the Council of Truth.
    "Yes, just going to send you some responses. I don’t know, maybe you can make them public, and someone can review them. I'm just a bit sick of this Clan bickering... doesn't seem that this system at the moment is helping yet... things take time you know..."
    Nexeus Fatale
    Former GSP DJ
    website

Zane "Tharkael" Conmy

- "The secret to "the list" is that once you are on it, you automatically become Timelapse's and Regulas' chew toy."

Re: [OOC] Update on Moderation

Originally posted by Windguaerd
    [OOC post]

[...]

We need someone that can do the following:

Setting up Agenda/Speaker lists for CoT Meetings

Why is this position vacant now? partly because of the arguement and bickering, there is only so much a person will deal with, and everyone in the CS is a Clan Leader who also has other responsabilities, and it's on a volunteer basis.

We're looking for fresh blood, meaning that if you're fairly new to the game but are into roleplaying, you could be the next member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.

What are the benefits?

Knowing you're helping ARK and the storyline come to life, and having fun doing it. That's it.

[...]

Currently moderation is made by the Clerical Staff, and if things get out of control during a meeting...well then people may find themselves outside the building.

Limited resources are not just ARK's, but the Clerical Staff and it's members. I want to spend 2 PRODUCTIVE hours, not waste even 20 minutes over arguements with one player.

There WILL be a limited time for each representative to speak, and within that time you can RESPECTFULLY address every player at the meeting to either make a point, a plea, a suggestion, share an idea, whatever you think would be good.

Please don't try to pull too many gimmics, and I say too many...because we rplayers do like to pull them from time to time, they are entertaining, fun to do...and...fun to watch.

[...]

Lots of effort MAY show FC that the players are trying to make a world change, and then the possibility of actually removing the DB from the playfields where they are openly standing to perhaps a more hidden position (heck it could lead to a new dungeon, the DB hideout or stronghold, can you imagine how cool would that be?) could be taken into consideration by world builders.

[...]

The CS had preliminary meetings, we organized and tried to plan the meeting as best as we could, there is a learning curve, and as we learn that works and what doesn't, we'll be moving forward.

[...]

Player of Windguaerd
    [OOC reply or course ...]

Valid points here. If the position is still open, I would like to apply. I know it's not a grateful one but setting up an agenda is most important, and setting up speaker lists is necessary. As I have quite some RL experience in both from leading meetings, I think I can live up to it.

You know where to reach me, old friend.

Player of Daimoness

[OOC end]
    Corrine Daimoness Wright
    - Veteran of Apocalypse
    - General of the Mercury Dragons (ret.)
    - Member of the Grumpy Old Crat Bunch

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. - Samuel Adams

[ Place has been filled. Eomaia is the new CS rep. ]

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234