Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you wasting your time on this game?

Are you wasting your time on this game?

I posted this at the "Next Patch" forum section but I guess the purpose of it is regarding roleplaying so Iīll pin it up in here as well.

If you are new and wondering what breed and proffesion you will play, or if you have played a while but havenīt roleplayed.

Then ask you self this:

Are you one of those choosing side based on whoīs side has the best armors, huntinggrounds, weapons and so on and so on? Why choose side based on what you benefits the most from, making it easier to play? Are you afriad that you might stand infront of a challenge witch you canīt handle?

What Iīm getting at is this: Anarchy Online is a MMORPG - massive multiplayer ROLE PLAYING GAME ! ! !
    Roleplaying being the keyword in this game.

Itīs sad to see ppl complaining on changes in the game that happens to make their prof or breed a bit less good is somewhat way (as you may seen at the official AO forum about the upcoming 14.2 patch). There you have proof that some ppl only keep one thing in mind when playing this game, and thatīs to have a uber maxed caracter they can brag with.

Also it is sad to see ppl ask what side is the best to play, in regards to best huntinggrounds, weapons armors and so on. To choose side based on this only show that you donīt care about the roleplaying part of the game.
    So if you donīt care about the roleplaying part of the game then whatīs left to make the game worth playing?
    Do missions and/or insane powerleveling until you have a totaly uber caracter... have you beaten the game then? and can move on with the next game?
    Have you in some strange way got it in your head that you have completed the last "boss", the last "level"

so when someone asks: "hey man have you played AO?"

you can answer: "yea i reached lvl 170 or so then it wasnīt any fun no more.. now Iīm playing EQ again leveling up some new caracter. I might get back to AO when I get tired of EQ AGAIN"

Face it, the thing that make MMORPG games stand out from the rest of the PC games is the ability to interact with other real players, play a role in an artifical world created for the sole purpose of just this. A role that you choose, of course with some restrictions and rules just like in the real world though with better oppertunities to play out your fantasies and so.

If there were no rules, if everyone could pick their lvl and abilities and so on, then what fun would it be?
    Ask a gardner if he would want plants that grow full over one night, guess what the answer should be, heck we know what the answer would be so then ask your self what the motives to the answer is.

I really like when I hear an omni explain why he hates the clanner and the other way around, when the clanner spits his guts over an omni telling some story about his family being killed by omni or something. At the same time thereīs some that desperate trying to get everyone to just getting along, or some thief or spy using others trust to benefit from it his or hers way.

I see ppl write stuff like: "damn FC you destroy our prof with the next patch"
    Iīll say that, ok I can see you getting it a bit rougher but thatīs a challange to overcome.
    Then they say: "who will want us in team now when you have taken away this ability and that ability from us?"
    That is really sad because a team should form by a couple wanting to adventure together.. form the team and choose the mission/huntingground after the abillity of the whole team together.

All in all, the ones playing the Roleplaying part of the game, as itīs intended, have a great deal more fun than the person powerleveling cause he or she cannot sleep untill the caracter is uberadv. then most likely he or she will get tired of the game and stop playing, and so has wasted the time playing.

Play your caracter as a caracter and let the caracter grow naturally and have fun. Eventually you will get to the high levels but remember to play the game as it was intended.
    The time will go alot faster when you donīt look at the watch.

If you want to meet ppl and be a part of a fantasy story with them or against them then play AO.

If you wanna finnish a game and tell ppl how great you are, then play some singleplayer game where it says "The End" when you slaughter the last boss, or compete with others in a multiplayer game thatīs intended for that purpose.

Ok, Iīm done I hope you get what I am trying to point out, even if you may find some text in here that you donīt agree with.
    And donīt bother to complain or point out my spelling errors because I know... Iīm tired, sitting on my work and Iīm from sweden

I see all you roleplayers in RK-2 (Iīm Dhimoria)
    and to everyone else, you can stay at these forums nagging about technical issues on how the next patch will destroy your caracter

PS. Iīm omni btw.. DEATH TO THE CLANNERS and the LEETS ! ! ! DS.

AArrrggg.... NOOOOOOO, save the leets!!!!

Oh, and btw, I enjoy RP this game :-) It's what you make of it, of course :-D

Talking

OOC: AMEN!
    - If I could have one wish come true, it would be for all the people out there who only care about levels, items and 'uberness' to just vanish.

((Yes, amen brotha))
    --The connections that enable us to learn are infinitely more important than our state of knowing.

Hugs everyone in this post for being the sort of people she likes running accross in game

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

Yeah !! I'm Rahzelk the NanoteK ! I'm a Nanomaker, that's why I'm living on Rubika I just need more clients, added that I mostly work for free... uhuh

I enjoy have new friends (my speech device get crowded ) so contact if ya need help

((OOC BTW your post should be on the game box COO))

((RahZelK the NanoTech))

=====NanoCrystals' Maker=====

[EMail : rahzelk@hotmail.com]
    [Website : http://www.lostsouls.t2u.com]
    =====18:00 to 23:00 GMT+1=====

-=[Fellowship of the Lost Souls]=-

Dhim,

I guess you've never heard a RP:er in AO totaly losing it and dropping out of character because the technical problems or because rules are changed in a way that are hard to adapt to for that persons character. I've seen that happen and it's not pretty.
    Usually it ends up in the question "why am I doing this, when I could have a better gaming experience with a pen and paper with some friends?"
    *****ing about changes on the boards doesn't mean you don't understand the RP part of MMORPG.
    I know this isn't exactly what you said, but I felt I needed to point that out anyway.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see more RP:ers in game. It would help "rookie" RP:ers like myself enjoy this game more. But, there is a difference in a "challenge" and getting a kick in the nuts.

Eugene Kimpton, neutral deadbeat.

(Please ignore my sig this time)
    pirates. with lasers.
    Are you having an argument on the internet, again?

Gene13 - on a space odyssey since 2001
    XXX - N

Some day your ship will come in, but you will be at the airport.

<- LMAO at all the people /shouting Omni-tek chants in the Grid.

but yes, I follow your post, and agree with you
    Find a role, and run with it.
    Have fun, and keep in mind village center preachers are annoying in RL, as well as ingame....
    ReetHead "Karrd"
    First to "hand make" Custom Refs.
    President of the late Fixer Coalition
    Member of Storm
    Impatiently waiting to enter the shadow

Not-exactly-dissent

I do have some small issue with 'class effectiveness' when it comes to RPing.

For me, RPing is more than sitting around a table and talking. I like to tell stories. I like to offer challenge. Role-Playing for me is a combination of things- its a bit more than just acting without a script.

There are different kinds of role-players. What is the 'true' form of RPing really is a matter of personal preference. I'll start with the pen-and-paper idioms:

The roll-player: Loves rolling dice. Stats on characters, powergamer sometimes, but loves the whole 'statistical challenge' of the dice game, of putting the game 'odds' into their favour.

The method actor: Loves getting completely absorbed in their character. The person who writes a sixteen-page history and always plays in-character. The kind of person who merrily screws over the group because it is 'in character.'

These are the extremes. Most people fall into somewhere in the middle - a mix of acting and stats management.

The 'computer RPG' skewed players more towards stats. For many, uber-play IS role-playing - its like playing Final Fantasy or similar, only this time your friends are in there too and you're competing to have the 'best' character. For the 'computer role-player' this is an obvious extension of the environment.

Personally, I feel that there is a fundamental idiom error. Namely, 'level'. I feel it is a hangover from RPGs of yesteryear, which delineates progress through a single player game. For a single player or small-party-versus-monsters environment level works (Diablo, D&D, etc.) but when you throw in politics and conflict between *players* you have an artificial constraint of mammoth proportions. A level 1 sniper cannot insta-kill a level 200 anyone no matter how much preparation they do. If I (at level 1) completely incapaciatate someone, point a gun directly at them at point blank range and pull the trigger, they lose maybe 2 hit points. Oooooh, scary.

BUT... take this away and you've got an environment where there is no progression of character - no achievement. Many people don't have the creativity or inclination to generate a fully fledged persona for their characters, and statistics of existing 'pure RP' MUDs and the like suggest they get much less usage because they are so niche.

For me, I think that the uber-player has as much right to be here as I do. I don't 'play' uber, but if someone else wants to then that is their issue. If someone is selecting a side purely for the statistical advantage, then this is their call and their game as much as it is mine.

At the end of the day, the objective is to have fun. If they're having fun and they're not ruining my fun, I'm happy that they are happy. If someone wants to 'beat AO' by getting to level 200 in 10 days with uberleet gear, then good for them.

However, I do sometimes have to resort to powerplay in order to be able to roleplay! Many of my RP friends are 'better' players or more frequent players than I, and so shoot many levels ahead. While this isn't an issue for many RP events, there are things that I want to do with my own stories that involve conflict. And when level dictates the outcome of a conflict over interesting story, I get annoyed. A level 20 and a level 150 are limited in what conflict they can role-play (in all senses of the term) despite any desires from both. But I understand why the idiom is there.

Now all I have to do is come up with a 'progression system' that gets around that, write it up, get some funding, find a publisher and hire a team.

I agree that Role Playing in a Role Playing game is important.Hell,I think it's vital,there's no other way to do it.But,as has been pointed out,there are many ways to Role Play.On the most basic level,Role Playing is just playing a game in character.How you do this is up to you.Now most people won't agree with this,and I prefer to take it farther myself,but as I said that's the most basic way.So,if they're in character,who cares if they power level?Aren't there people in RL who do the same as power levelling?Trying to become number one,or the most powerful in their field?So,you see,power levelling is an acceptable form of Role Playing.Now then,on to my next point,Mechanita,just know that if you ever manage to find a way around levelling in Role Playing games I,at least,am behind you 100%.I have often thought that a Role Playing game would be much better off without the burden of levels and such.Sure,there needs to be something along those lines,but something with a completely different structure.It would,if nothing else,be quite interesting indded.
    The ones who dedicate the flags
    To make you brave,
    The also consecrate the headstone
    On your grave,
    Ritual remembrance when no-one
    Knows your name,
    Don't help a single widow learn
    To fight the pain.
    -Motorhead

For me, I think that the uber-player has as much right to be here as I do. I don't 'play' uber, but if someone else wants to then that is their issue. If someone is selecting a side purely for the statistical advantage, then this is their call and their game as much as it is mine.

At the end of the day, the objective is to have fun. If they're having fun and they're not ruining my fun, I'm happy that they are happy. If someone wants to 'beat AO' by getting to level 200 in 10 days with uberleet gear, then good for them.
    WOOHOO, Mechanita!

I've always been the type to complain about power levellers and twinkers, but this kinda turned me around. You're absolutely right.

It's a game, and it's all about the fun. If someone is having fun power-twinking and power-levelling, then more power to them, so long as it doesn't interrupt MY fun (which is in-depth role-playing).

We CAN all just get along!
    --The connections that enable us to learn are infinitely more important than our state of knowing.

I don't know about you cats, but I'm all for a good RP experience...the problem I am having is finding anyone who actually wants to RP.

Was hanging in Baboons one eve and met these other folk, and talk turned to those huge artillery pieces in Clon****. Well, we were rping right along, and the minute I suggested we go on a recon mission to check out those fearsome weapons--as they were central to the discussion--everyone looked at me as if I'd sprouted a third eye and a second nose.

I was under the impression that rping was not only "acting" a certain way, but also "playing" upon those roles. Sure, the discussion was deep and philosophical, but I also wanted some action to back-up all the words. No takers that eve.

Since then I have noticed that a majority of rping in RK2 consists of lengthy discussion, but no one "acting" upon the conversation. Oh sure, they talk a great game--some of the rping conversations in which I have been involved were very interesting!--but as of yet, I have found no one truly role-PLAYING.

What gives? Maybe I'm on at the wrong time?
    Level 49
    Rubi-ka 2
    The Triad 2
    "Need a fix? I can get you what you want, when you want it, for a price..."

I don't know why, i just find that roleplaying in AO is so much easier than in any other mmporg I have played so far (AO,EQ,UO, DAOC). I am glad I came back to the game, I was one of those that did last of beta and startup just to quit to bugs/crashes. UO had potential at first, till i tried to find a spot to put a home at.
    It must just be the bar seens for me, I just love being able to relax in a bar after 4 hours of playing and rambling about nothing and dancing-sometimes as a leet. I guess I am roleplaying a Bar Hopper? Now, if only i could get more people to go to the bar in Omni Forest with the great laser show....
    Last edited by Nnitwit; May 29th, 2002 at 15:25:50.
    "I have a robot?"

Level 75 Omni Engineer-Atlantean

Just RP

Very nice RP, Windchill! I'm surprised people didn't take you up on your offer. For me, when my RP suddenly requries that we up and move somewhere else we usually do. But then, I really don't know anything about the environment on RK2, since I'm still relatively new (and possibly obnoxiously loud) to RK1.

And I must agree with you Nnitwit - AO is so much easier to RP in - because there is actually a political environment that is worth discussing, and ideologies that mean something. I think its fantastic.

-<( the rest of this post goes way off-topic )>-

Those 'big artillery pieces' in Clon**** are the Notum mass drivers for launching processed notum into orbit for collection and off-world shipping. Mass drivers (if you can get the power) are a much cheaper and more efficient way of launching things into space - provided the thing you're launching can cope with the acceleration (ie. it is inorganic). It is basically a big particle acceleration gun that shoots things into orbit. But you couldn't use one as a weapon unless you could convince your target to stay in exactly the right place.
    If you are there, check out the notum chunks downrange of the mass drivers - they are scattered all over the place. If FC were feeling crueler they'd have chunks of notum falling out of the sky occasionally. I guess that'd be like having a half-ton of gold land on you from a great height. Valuable, but also rather fatal.

Smile RPing

Ya im all for RPng but i have yet to find many people. it does seem like there is more but ive yet to meet them. the best RP i have still ever had in AO was when i went to MMD for the first time to go hunting with a friend. well this one clanner there was more then a challange, but he ended up not being able to take all of us so he went to the surpression gas. well after waiting for a while my buddies left and it was just him and i. well we must have talked for at least an hour, and kind of made a truce i guess couse he could of came over and offed me. we became friends for a bit while still being enemies in the end. well it was really cool. also there is a bar in Omni forest???? cool where is it please do tell. the folling rocks is funny that would be interesting to say the least.

oh yeah!
    Role Playing is the onlything that keeps me in this game. I love it.
    Keep it up!

The Bar in omni forest is easiest to find by going out the south gates of the wall and immediately follow the wall back up to the first set of buildings outside the wall. There is a little hole -n the wall bar there with a sign outside that says "Relax". Small bar, but i like it the best for some reason- might have to have a party there soon to promote it.
    "I have a robot?"

Level 75 Omni Engineer-Atlantean

Smile My thoughts...

Many things to say but I'll try to be brief.

Please, please, please, don't promote Relax. Tell as many people you know about it but don't promote it just so everyone knows about it. Its such a small bar -- if it was crowded all the time it wouldn't be as nice. Its a very special bar.

I love roleplay, and AO is the best online game for RP by far. But, it is expremely limited too. Its very hard running complex RP events, and Funcom doesn't provide players with the tools or support they need to be successfull. At the same time, Funcom tries to impose their own vision of what RP on RubiKa is like. Usually, these efforts fail to yeild any fun results. Like making people sit around and listen to a speach for a long time, or staging a lag-fest battle, or sending invincible green-named jerks to kill partygoers. Okay enough cynisism for now. My point is that the best RP in AO is small-scale events run by players. I think anyone who cares about this issue should be volunteering with RP guilds to help write stories or be NPCs for events, and be posting to threads outside this section about the need for better roleplay tools and content regardless of the fact that your thread will get spamed by dozens of people saying 'how can you care about that issue while my favorite profession is being nerfed?'. Opps, I'm being cynical again.

Just my thoughts
    - Szentasha
    Leader of Unity of the Rose

AOScripter 2.0 If you need a script, you need AOScripter!

*** Remove Social Armor Restrictions Today !!!

I agree wholeheartedly, the best rp events are small scale and player run. Quality roleplaying, heck even mediocre roleplaying, requires the GM needs to know something about each individual player character's personality and background. This cannot be done on a massive scale, surely.

There is a problem however with these small scale events in that they do nothing to shake the feeling among the general public that no one roleplays in AO, it can't be done so there is no point trying. And there is also the fact that each isolated rolepaying group is basically having to reinvent the wheel. Roleplaying in an online environment is different from table top or LRP; we certainly had to figure out from scratch how to do things, what works and what doesn't work, and we are still learning as we go. I can't imagine the other roleplaying groups on Rubi-Ka are finding it any easier, and if they are I for one would like to hear about it.

In the end, I am sure the more determined roleplayers that join AO do eventually hook up with like minded people. I would be nice though if this search could be made easier and if we could burst that patently untrue myth that there is no roleplaying on AO.
    Last edited by Savoy; May 31st, 2002 at 00:55:03.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Savoy, always so wise ))
    BumP !

((RahZelK the NanoTech))

=====NanoCrystals' Maker=====

[EMail : rahzelk@hotmail.com]
    [Website : http://www.lostsouls.t2u.com]
    =====18:00 to 23:00 GMT+1=====

-=[Fellowship of the Lost Souls]=-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast