Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can we get a Top Ten?

Can we get a Top Ten?

Serious question here. Can we get a Top Ten list of questions answered regarding the Backstory of Rubi'Ka and it's politics, etc including the ongoing Story?

We wouldn't want anything other than what would be generally known or what a player would need to know in order to properly play his character within the Story.

Examples:

1.) Please define the political status of Newland City, Last Ditch, Borealis. What is the level of self-sovereignty and who is ultimately responsible for the ongoings in these cities.

2.) Who created the City of Wine? Is it possible to get to this city in-game currently and what it it's political affiliation.

3.) Please settle the discussion as to whether Jobe was created by NanoTechnicians only or through the cooperative efforts of the NanoMage breeded Engineers, NT's, MP's, Bureaucrats, etc.

4.) Is it safe for our characters to assume that all life on the planet is either imported, genetically-created, or arrived as stowaways on transports?

4.) What is the corporate structure of Omni-Tek at the very top? Is Phillip Ross appointed by a Board of Directors at the O-T Rubi'Ka level or via the next level up. Is the CEO of the Rubi'Ka division even elected or is he appointed by someone above his level.

5.) Answer the same for Henry Radiman. How is he elected and for what period is his term of office.

6.) Are there Clans that do not subscribe to the decision making authority of the Council of Truth. How much authority do decisions by Radiman and the Council hold over such clans as Sentinels and New Dawn?

7.) Why are there references in the Story literature and in-game to both Athen and AthenS? It's clearly stated that Omni-2 was renamed for a fighter during the last Civil War with the last name of 'Athen'. What's the deal?

8.) Obviously none of us can miss the big Temple and Pyramid in the City of Home. So many of our characters pass through there that it's kind of silly none of them have a clue as to why the Temple and Pyramid are there. Any backstory that our characters may be privy to would be appreciated.

9.) Is the City of Home, Clan or it's own faction? Some of us are under the impression that Home Guards are not necessarily CoT-affiliated but nonetheless at the same time bear no love for Omni-Tek. What's the deal?

10.) The Aquaan Queen is often seen swimming in the lake outside Newland. We also see an Aquaan Vicar (a religious figure) what are they doing visiting this little pond? What's the backstory on this species and where is their main base of operations?

Many of us are starved for information that let's us play intelligently within the game when it comes to putting our characters inside the 'real' world.

Anybody else got any reasonable questions that would help your character to properly play against the story. Or simply things you'd like to know about the world you play in?

Bionitrous, most of us can answer those questions, let me give you a shot, as of what i know/think

1) Those cities are all neutral, and due to the tir acord, not under the influence of the clans. then they are under Omni-Tek law. (The ICC seem to have send some guards tehre though)

2) Dont know anything about that one.

3) Jobe was made by former OT emplyeed Nano Mages, nothing else. That city is neutral

4) What do u think? there are more to this world then what the eye can see. Something below the planet. But yes, all official life had to come that way.

5) No idea, sorry

6) The Council of Truth do only repersent a small amount of the clans. They do not control anyone outside of the Council. They do have some influence on most other clans. But they dont control them, specialy not the Sentinals.

7) Spelling error? :P

8) Agrred with u there

9) as said in q6, then the council dont control all the clans, and not all love the council, it is possiable that Home is a faction of its own.

10) huh? never seen those :/
    ------------
    Hope this helped (if you didnt know already) this is what ive read and such, dont mean that its the official though.

I would love to see a very detailed book or related to tell the story about the planet, teh places, and not the characters on it. We want to know how it was created
    "It's your life. Keep it up! Keep it real!"

Any additional questions we need answered? I still think the Neutral city status is kind of fuzzy after reading and rereading the Tir Accord.

Likewise, I have difficulty with Clans that don't associate themselves with the Council of Truth being offered benefits such as Token Boards and the ability to use Federated insurance terminals.

I'd like to see the links regarding Jobe as well. I was under the impression it was the 'breed' that created it. However, the NT forums are up in arms that it is being 'stolen' from them.

Could we get some Story Team input into this forum, please? It's the people who read this forum who are going to breathe life into your world during every play session. The more in line with what the Story Team has determined, the better it is for everyone.

As a quick example: would not every single Clan member know when Radiman's term was up and elections were due to be held?

If we could get some simple questions answered by the Story Team that would not reveal any Spoilers, I think it would be a win-win situation for all parties involved.

From the official site, sometime in the past:
    The training of nano mages is hard and difficult; it is almost a prerequisite of an expert nano technologic to have a streak of independence. This is not something that goes well with the Omni-Tek attitude of law and order.

Some years ago, all the best and most proficient nano mages deserted the mega-corporation in a non-violent manner. They established the city Jobe, out in the ocean south of Rome and the Reck outpost. Today they have a very fragile nonaggression pact with both Omni-Tek and the clans, while they do their best to create new and exciting nano formulas.

The nano mages on Jobe seem to like the clans better than Omni-Tek, although some of the more militaristic clans are hard to accept for the disciplined but freedom-loving Jobeans.

All the big breakthrough inventions in nano technology of the last 20 years were discovered in Jobe.
    AOForge put together a nice hybrid of the old atlas and the beta map. You'll find it here:

http://www.aoforge.com/map.php3

As far as I know the information is gone from everyplace else. It's worth noting that some of the information on this map is wrong, but I'd argue the rest should be assumed correct until countered by some newer official information.

Hollow Mountain is essentially Wine. Its position on the paper map is more or less identical to that of Omni HQ relative to the word Omni-1, Tir City relative to the word Tir, Newland City to Newland, etc. It's unfortunate that this map and the game in general aren't clearer and more consistent about what constitutes a region, a territory, and a city. Maybe the new edition of AO will shed some light on this.

I like what you're doing here. I think it'll get better response and snowball if you publish it as a FAQ. As we used to say in the Old World, "the fastest way to get a question answered correctly on Usenet is to post the wrong answer".

1.) Neuteral, supposedly self-governing?

2.) What IS the City of Wine?

3.) Yes, I too would like to know.

4.) NO. Absolutely not. I talked to a GM about the nature of several creatures earlier, specifically the Eremites and the Bileswarms. I have seen the Eremite Altar in Deep Artery Valley and I asked about it. I was told that it predates omni-tek and that the eremites appear to be indigenous life forms. As for the bileswarms, they are indigenous life that has been warped by the notum to reflect the barren state of the lands they are found in. (EFP, SFH...etc..)

4.) No idea.

5.) No idea..

6.) The council, as I see it has little real control over the clans..if they want to do something they're probably going to do it.

7.) Definate spelling error.

8.) Mmmm..no idea..

9.) Wish I knew =/

10.) Never seen this one, myself..

Actually, to your question #10, we should roll into it all the other possibly alien races, like the Manteze, Medusas, Enigmas. I would really like to know who and what the Manteze are. Haven't found any info on them in the game or elsewhere.
    Numi7, Omni-Tech Employee
    Solitus Engineer
    Division 3 [Omni Reclamation]
    RK2

aquaan worker

I've seen once an aquaan worker in the newland lake when i (then) scored a new boat, and went around for a spin (wee! outrunning the fishies! wee!) It was red, so i didn't press the issue.

But if you want the real horror trip.... send Jujuwalker a tell on Rk1. He'll fix you up with a real nasty place.....(in fact, i LDed there last time... to to grid phreak the hell outta there ....spookyest place ever
    --
    The nootie's infamous black joker, Jujuwalker :
    RP profile : http://www.ao-universe.com/tools.php...ion=show&id=74
    --

La censure est la negation de l' esprit. (Censoring is the negation of thought) --Yvirnig
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- Hunter S. Thompson
    --
    QUOTE OF THE DAY : And remember : you minions SHOULDN'T BE THINKING!

Perhaps we want to know what happened in the Dead City at the end of The Longest Road. Now that place is creepy. A full city left to ruins all for the keeping of the Bleeders and Bileswarmers.

And what's with the Yottos? How did they develop their own language in only a few short centuries that is totally unlike anything anyone else speaks on the planet?

The dead city of the west.

Hehe...i WAS talking about the dead city from the west.... i was so impressed by the place i made myself a soundtrack JUST for that place .... Talk about spooky..... only the shades live there now... and the golden glow from the weird rock formations... priceless.

Hey bio.... if you interested, perhaps we could "shoot" a pseudo history of the place....with pictures...A great tale of horror and madness...We'd release by halloween and make a fortune!!! (yup, it's the embezler taking here)
    --
    The nootie's infamous black joker, Jujuwalker :
    RP profile : http://www.ao-universe.com/tools.php...ion=show&id=74
    --

La censure est la negation de l' esprit. (Censoring is the negation of thought) --Yvirnig
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- Hunter S. Thompson
    --
    QUOTE OF THE DAY : And remember : you minions SHOULDN'T BE THINKING!

ekkkk! sounds freaky!!! sign me up as a reader :P
    "It's your life. Keep it up! Keep it real!"

The mantaze(sp?) were smuggled here on a trade ship.

The answer.

I am now going to give you the short answer of all those questions, even if you may not like them. I care little of your likings.

Answer:

It has all gotten out of hand for FC, they know not what they are doing. They try and try, but fail, it is a vicious circle for them, one that they cannot break.
    I pity them for this I really do. I for one would like them to break it but hey, poo. They wont, I know this dont you get it? They took a perfectly good game and then they break it?
    I dont seem to understand the logic in this do you? Goddamn **** FC why did you **** this ****ing game up foo?

Please forgive me kind sir, but all I want is this game to work properly, even if it cost me my sanity and everything, and by the way everything and sanity is all I have left, well, not everything
    *knocks her forehead*

w-where am I? I'm not on rubika anymore... what in hell is this, hmmm... *looks around for someone* hello????

- no answer what so ever -

*notices the grandest of buildings, and feels something heavy resting around her waist, she looks down and notices small packages taped onto her*

oh my god what is this. What am I supposed to do? Please god tell me now, I cant deal with this any longer. help me kind sir.

- a great voice speaks to her -

-*bomb it Jho, it is your destiny*-

ummm... okay... heheehe, this is all but a dream anyhooo so no one will care about it I guess.

*walks up to the grandest building, seems to be the FC HQ, but oh what the hell little does she care in her own little dream of desire.*

Bombs away I guess.

*Jho, enters the building and flips the switch, closing her eyes, thinking of her prince of dreams*

I love you.

*The great epic tale of Jho ends here, she sacrificed herself with the bombs of FC nerfing abilities, little was known but she was greatly missed, and a statue of pure rock was raised to her greatness. Thanks to proud little silkex*

- Lady Jhoanna, The greatest of mad people (Or among the more great ones, I sure hope so. no we sure hope so! damnit.)

Question: How do Eleena Oak and Joshua Khan get seats on the Council of Truth if they don't represent a Clan?

What is the political infrastructure of the Council of Truth. How does a Clan member go about getting a seat on the Council.

Originally posted by nanotechno
    The mantaze(sp?) were smuggled here on a trade ship.
    I thought that were the Mantises - different species.
    Numi7, Omni-Tech Employee
    Solitus Engineer
    Division 3 [Omni Reclamation]
    RK2

Yeah, we got the Manteze and the Mantis. One is a lizard looking kind of guy that actually has arms like a praying mantis (two legs). Then the other looks like a bug (four legs and two 'arms' if I recall the last I met correctly).

It _was_ stated than the Mantis came stowed away aboard a smuggler's ship when the backstory for Smuggler's Den was released.

The Manteze are supposedly much more sentient and actually declared a war against the Clans that may or may not still be going on. We just don't know about that last issue as the Storyline just stopped.

just one point, neutral do not = ICC

The neutral guards are not necessarily on the same side in differnt places. (neutral guards in 20k may be mercinaries, where as the neutral guards at ICC-HQ are ICC guards)

neutral just means not OT or clan.

OK, seems we have to do our own answering to figure out stuff that should be available in the local newspaper or in a library.

Seems that the Council of Truth is not democratically elected. Way to go for a group supposedly fighting for freedom.

From a quote by Ragnar Tornquist on the subject:

The neutrals have been called opportunists, scavengers, rats, cowards, and traitors. But the fact is that, while a number of neutrals benefit from the conflict between OT and the clans, most now long for an end to OT's lease on Rubi-Ka, and for the foundation of a government controlled neither by the clans nor by OT, but by a democratically elected body.
    A personal opinion from one player who still remains Neutral after about 300 combined levels of Neutrality:

I would not subscribe to any group's doctrine that is attempting to overthrough a legally ruling party which does not openly endorse democracy.

But, back on subject. If the CoT is not a democratically elected body, how are it's members appointed, what are the term lengths, what are the Council's top officer's powers with respect to the individuals within the organization as a whole?

Can we get some simple answers to the questions regarding the planet we live on. We can't get 'em in-game. Wouldn't this be the likely place for FunCom to disseminate this info?

Originally posted by Warsprite
    4.) NO. Absolutely not. I talked to a GM about the nature of several creatures earlier, specifically the Eremites and the Bileswarms. I have seen the Eremite Altar in Deep Artery Valley and I asked about it. I was told that it predates omni-tek and that the eremites appear to be indigenous life forms. As for the bileswarms, they are indigenous life that has been warped by the notum to reflect the barren state of the lands they are found in. (EFP, SFH...etc..)
    Just like in real life, facts and rumours are often confused with each other. And while a lot of Rubi-Kans probably want to find traces of alien life on their planet, the simple truth is that there is none.

Let me repeat that:

Humanity has found no evidence of alien life anywhere in the galaxy. Ever. Period. Maybe there's been the odd single-cell organism or traces of organic compound embedded in stone dating back millions, billions, of years. But nothing more than that. Humanity is alone - if not in the universe, then at least in this galaxy.

There are rumours. Of course there are. Some may claim that one lifeform or another has alien genomes. Or that certain strange creatures predate Omni-Tek's arrival on Rubi-Ka. Or that grand structures have been found, dating back tens of thousands of years, pointing to a hidden, and long vanished, alien civilisation on the planet.

They are completely and utterly wrong.

Scientists still hope to find something, anything out there. But Omni-Tek, and other corporations, have mapped the galaxy, and walked on thousands of planets, and still there is nothing. Nada. Zilch. Zip.

Still, simple facts - especially when those facts point to an absence of something - never stopped people from spreading rumours and lies, never stopped people from dreaming or wondering or cooking up elaborate conspiracy theories.

So go ahead. Knock yourself out. Conspiracy theories are always appreciated, and, hey, it's not as if Omni-Tek has never covered up the truth before...right? Right?

The truth is out there. Yes.

-Ragnar

Originally posted by Bionitrous
    Can we get some simple answers to the questions regarding the planet we live on. We can't get 'em in-game. Wouldn't this be the likely place for FunCom to disseminate this info?
    The best place would be in-game. We're working on that.

And yes, you should get simple answers to questions about Rubi-Ka. We're working on that, too.

-Ragnar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast