Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OOC: CoT Re-opening. the rules of the game

The following is OOC:
    I would have to agree with the majority that the revived CoT is a great step forward; it shows what player initiative can accomplish.

Now, about how something similar could be accomplished on the OT side (excuse me if I'm getting ahead of myself): I'll be honest that I wasn't into RP when OTSEC was around. But, from what I've heard about it, something similar may work well. A security council would give the opportunity for almost anyone to join. They could ally their org with one of the major storyline departments, just as orgs in the CoT can ally themselves with one of the major storyline clans.

Obviously needs lots more thinking, but it's someplace to start.
    Zack "Eternalforce" Craddock
    Professional soldier of fortune.
    Quote Originally Posted by dustynova
    ahhh Ao where the men are boys the women are men and the leets are very very nervous.

Originally posted by Fantaghiro
    Kithrak
    people wanting to call 'dibs' on specific OMNI departments..I'll refer you to a post I made previously regarding storyline orgs and departments. Read it well...draw your conclusions and consider every possible meaning of the phrase: "when hell freezes over"
    [ooc]
    The comment was supposed to be a chiding remark. Text is sorely lacking in tone.

At any rate, ask anyone that knows me about siezing control of entities, it is something that I will never do. My open offer for the past two years to the roleplaying community(and greenies) 'If I can do anything to help, just ask.' still stands.
    [/ooc]
    Charles 'Kithrak' Houston - Equipment
    Administrator, Omni-Admin
    Bringing the politics of Rubi-Ka to life!

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche-

"By denying support to the possibility of peace, the Council of Truth is guranteeing an outcome of war."-Administrator Houston-

[OOC] Wind is still alive!

Yeah, been busy with AO Vault and CoT work.

Now, Kithrak was kidding, I can vouch for that.

Second, thanks to everyone who supported or even roleplaying against the formation of the new CoT...thanks! thanks! thanks! we needed the visual and vocal support of the roleplaying communities in both servers to accomplish this project!

Third...omni has a VERY good chance in my opinion to form their own 'Board of Directors' ....coughcoughhintcoughcough...if they have the initiative to do so.

Word of advice, expect lots of work for those who will be behind the scenes on...that project.

Time, effort, communication, compromises...all will be at your door, knocking.

Neutrals may even get a shot if they colaborate for a 'Neutral Council' to administrate the neutral territories and stay out of the conflict between clan and omni =P

Of course these are just...thoughts I share with you all...it's not in my hands, but in the hands of the roleplaying communities in both servers to shape the history of Rubi-Ka...

Semper Fi!

Hurrah!
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Originally posted by Vixentrox
    One thing to remember folks is ALL players interesed in RP can benefit from our efforts. All you need to do is think about it for a moment. Omni players may try to spy, run plots against the CoT, gossip about the various representatives, ect. Neutral players can try to sway a vote benificial for them, curry favor, ect. Obviously the Clan players have a vested interes in trying to work togeher for a common goal.

So...just keep that in mind. This is not just good for clans, but all players with an interest in rp/politics. I'd like to extend my thanks to the ARK, my fellow CoT Staff members, and all the other players who though often skeptikal and impatient (heheh) still supported us.

Now then...Clan reps...submit those affiliations to the CoT website so we can kick this into high gear.
    Exactly what I think, Vix.

Just because a current storyline project is situated in Clan territory doesn't make it exclusively for Clanners to peruse and participate in.

I think the revival of the CoT offers literally boundless opportunities, both to player run events and the ARK events department for and from all sides.

I am really looking forward to it.

Grats and kudos to the CoT Clerical staff for their huge effort and their dedication to the game.

Sid

Omnis, rethink your hopes

Why does everyone think that a story on the Omni-Tek side means a new "Board of Directors" or something similar? No, we can not do that. That is not how OT works. I never thought that a story for Omni would involve a leadership position like the CoT. Yes that means Omnis may not "rule" in some sense OT RK, but that is what OT is like.

Drop this idea of a omni council, it will not be done. Unless there is some very good reason too.

I see a story line on the Omni side as something the corporation would do. Such as a research project, or a new offensive against terrorists and rebels, or perhaps some kind of story with JAME. Well the list can go on, yes they may not be as exciting as being part of a council, but as I stated, that is what OT is like. We are citizens and the goverment of OT does not listen, or only to a point, to its citizens.

So stop of crying about not having a council, and drop the "hope" of having one on the Omni side. If a council for Omni is what is in planning, there better be a good story to it. If there was a citizen council, that would really affect the "dictatorship" like goverment of OT RK.

Instead start putting around ideas about what the corporation citizens can do as a major story line. Meaning what the current state of OT RK would do with its citizens.

Well, my former org was in OTSE C, and I can tel lyou exactly what happened... As a security council, it was bent on fighting against threats, and it collapsed for this very reason - not en ough threats left story-wise at that time, not enough threats from Clan players, feeling of boredom and being useless by those who were in it... I can pass on it. OTSEC existed twice, and twice it died for this reason.

The problem with a council/board like OTSEC is exactly that. The CoT can last, through players' efforts, whether the Clans choose the path of war or the path of peace and diplomcy, because it's intended to be a ruling body no matter what. The OTSEC will become obsolete from the moment things take a "peaceful" turn (I don't know how they will turn, it's just an idea). Yes, I know we're gonna have the aliens and things like that, but if such aboard was to become long-term part of the storyline, then what needs to be made sure is that it's fed with stuff to do. The CoT can take care of a wide variety of projects: diplomacy, rebuilding OA, war, talks of peace, have a more active hand in negociating on Notum market, etc. An OTSEC-like council would be more limited, and have power of decision in a very limited area too (if having power of decision is what its members want, but let's be honest, most RPers, if not all, secretly would like to have a more "direct" involvment, and the chance, if only once, to really affect the world around themselves).

I'm not saying it's not doable, but it's sure as hell hard to maintain.
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

Originally posted by Cosmik

(example, if this was done before Shadowlands, I'm sure the players with Omni-Trans would have had a great time doing events in preparation for the Shadowlands opening; and with no overthrowing of Philip Ross in sight). )
    *cough*
    Whoops. Don't mind me. No plans to overthrow Philip Ross here. Move along. We're a hedge. ^_^;;

*holds up a leafy branch*
    Senior Partner, Schuemann & Associates (on leave)

Settle down guys, my little hint was not for a 'Board of Directors' to overthrow Boss Ross, but to work UNDER him.

IC, the man has been slapped a few times by Omni Prime, for trying to make peace with the clans while the corporation was under attack by terrorists (which OP probably thinks are clanners behind them 100%).

So what would a boss do when his superiors keep undermining his authority?

Hell, get your underlings to support you...or take the blame for it, depending on the mindset.

A BoD could easily start as the old OTSEC (which was very good in it's days, and created quite a good number of events and spinoffs), but security is just one thing that a BoD could do, after all, ICC has regulations OT-RK needs to follow, and who is going to check on miners, equipment, etc? Ross? nope, there will be someone many many many floors below him (probably in the basement) in charge of overseeing that employees got the right uniform and stuff to do their work...but then, who checks on those guys? the BoD checks that, security & safety...oh wait...transportation...

Clans will be affiliated to story clans, what would stop OT orgs to affiliate with an official OT Department like Omni-Trans, Omni-R&D, Omni-Mining, Omni-Com, Omni-Reform, etc?...only obstacle is...time and effort.

No Director would have any power outside their own org to make decisions, but as Board of Directors under the MAIN Directors (leading the official OT depts) & Boss Ross...could they improve their corporation, their image, increase profits?....maybe create a plan to undermine the CoT? maybe, only one way to find out.

But keep in mind Fanta has said:

There's a huge OMNI story ready to be produced, but it's dependent on certain things happening first. So I ask for a little patience. We're not forgetting OMNI in this.
    And also that...

I'm currently seeing more people leave due to RL than I can attract and there's just so much i can do with the people I have to keep 2 dims, 3 sides per dim, numerous factions per side happy.
    In other words, it isn't that I don't want to..I just lack the manpower to do it all.
    I'm lucky if I can put 1 story out on both dims at the moment.
    So if you want to help, organize what you want to do, try to colaborate with ARK, heck encourage people to join ARK!

Fanta needs more volunteers!

Neither omni or neutral players will have it easy if they wish to do projects similar to the CoT player-run project...but it will be easier as the CoT continues to gain support and popularity among the playerbase, it's a test case...yeah, but one which people have invested a good number of months into...unlikely to dissapear, and people have offered to step in if someone needs to step down. To me, it looks like the CoT will do well for the communities, and other projects could do as well.

These are my 3 creds, for the hour =P
    Last edited by Windguaerd; Apr 16th, 2004 at 09:03:05.
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).

Remember that AI is on the horizon.

Ever thought of it that Rubi Ka as a whole will be under attack? I can see a lot of RP events on the horizon where both Clan and OT will be needing to work together.

Sid

Re: Omnis, rethink your hopes

Originally posted by Swiftmind
    Why does everyone think that a story on the Omni-Tek side means a new "Board of Directors" or something similar? No, we can not do that. That is not how OT works. I never thought that a story for Omni would involve a leadership position like the CoT. Yes that means Omnis may not "rule" in some sense OT RK, but that is what OT is like.

Drop this idea of a omni council, it will not be done. Unless there is some very good reason too.

OMG, marry me. You understand.

Seriously though, that's the point I was slightly mentioning before - Omni-Tek citizens are employees and don't belong on a council. Being an employee means you may be able to join a department (which is what I hope would happen), but instead of giving the orders, you are taking them. Instead of making the high-ranking decisions like the CoT Council will do, you'll be carrying out the decisions.

As an employee of Omni-Tek you may take information or suggestions to a director, but you're not the equivalent of the CoT Council with only a different allegiance. Omni-Tek is order, structure and a distinct heirarchy. A council of citizens does not fit.

Some noob with a plan to

1. Steal thongs
    2. ?????
    3. Dance!

(And why can't I use my proper name of "Cosmik"? OMGORZ! Nerf!!)

My words are found at n3rfed

OMG, marry me. You understand.
    Well I am glade others see this as well. But unfortunately, no I will not marry you.

To Windguaerd, sorry if I seen like attacking you. But I just wanted to state to everyone that a citizen council will not be done or very hard to do RP wise. So far, to me, it looked like many thought that now a omni board of directors would come about. I wanted to state that no this would not happen and it is better to think of things the corporation would do with its citizens rather then what the citizens can do with a "new leadership."

I wanted to state that no this would not happen and it is better to think of things the corporation would do with its citizens rather then what the citizens can do with a "new leadership."
    Ah...misunderstandings again, I never said a NEW leadership.

Every company goes through reorganization, restructure, continous change to adapt to competitors advance, new technologies, new changes in it's internal rules and regulation to make a company more efficient, more profitable, more successful.

OT is the top dog, but that doesn't mean they would just accept being #1, but to continue keeping the lead as the strongest corporation in history.

IC the 'new' Board of Directors could easily be explained that it already had existed, but it is now expanding to include other Directors (players) to improve the management of the RK branch, under new orders from Omni Prime. That is one plausable explanation, I could think of a few more...but hey, I'm a clanner, let the omni players do some work =P

Ah...misunderstandings again, I never said a NEW leadership.
    And also you misunderstand , did I say it was you? As in my previous sentence, "it looked like many thought," I was not referencing to you but to a general group. To me it appeared many, not you, thought this.

Your idea may be workable...but let omni do its own thing

To support Windguaerd a little bit, allow me to give you an example of how if I was Philip Ross I would use this little group of people to my advantage. We all know the blame game, we play it all the time. And the easiest way to not take the blame for something is to delegate it to someone else. We all know that Mr. Ross is a very busy man, and he obviously doesnt have time to do everything on his own. So, many corporate tasks could be handled by these smaller departments. This would take some of the stress and blame off of his shoulders. If something goes wrong, s**t rolls downhill and things only add on as it goes. Also as we all know these departments for the most part do have NPCs at their heads. Such as Eva Pourais for Omni-Reform. So its not like you would be stepping outside the boundaries of Omni RP by following the instructions of the Department Head (FC controlled character). As it works in most other corporations, the Boss hands something down to his Managers, and then it filters down through upper management to the lower guys, and eventually the orders get to you. I'm sure many of us see this happen every day, its only a matter of applying that type of corporate infrastructure to the Omni half of the game. And yes it would be a very difficult task, but I can see clearly how it could work out. Be open minded and it could happen, you never know.
    Last edited by Fixerben; Apr 17th, 2004 at 15:51:57.

Benjamin "Fixerben" Bacarella - L212 AL10
    Haywood "Brawlking" Jablomy - L220 AL21

?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Wouldn't it be better if all the attributes were combined into one skill called "goodness?"

I thought I was already taking orders...

/me vanished
    "I wont let my precious comrades die..."
    207|11 Equimon Solitus Soldier
    150|0 Wildcardz Atrox Enforcer
    092|0 Bloodnerve Solitus Doctor
    075|0 Layered Opifex Meta-Physist
    030|0 Gunpriest Solitus Ranged Keeper Gunpriest Chronicles <- Currently Under Construction

Well, when I was in the corporate structure, the company I worked for had comities. Safety comities, Employee Moral comities, hmm, I think that was all the comities I knew about. Maybe Omni could have those! *smiles, pauses, and laughs*

On a serious note, first, kudos to those involved in the new CoT being developed and the stage it is in. This opens a lot of opportunities for all sides as it has been stated before.

Not sure how much people know about corporate structures, but having something remotely thought of as a Board of Directors in a sub-division of Omni-Tek is not really feasible. All of the corporations I have ever known, researched and been apart of were they have had many divisions or several companies under one umbrella have only one board of directors. In this case, Omni-Tek has their board of directors on Omni-Prime. So, for keeping things clear on that, don’t use the term Board of Directors for any type of reference. It will stop any confusion and won’t start any.

Now, with that said. Companies do have “department” or “division” meetings. Where each of the department heads meet with the Pres. VPs or any other relative executives that do have to answer to the Board of Directors. These meetings usually deal with the department heads or “managers” to report to the President of that company of their department’s activities. These meetings also give the President the ability to discuss with the department heads the goals, agendas, and focus the company has from the directions of the Board of Directors.

One thing I could possibly attest to is that if Philip Ross calls a meeting for the Department heads (Org Leaders) He would get a good amount of them to attend. But to ask the employee’s of Omni-Tek to have the same ability the Clans have to establish a government and have voices in said government is totally out of the context of playing an employee of a company. Have department meetings, where Mr. Ross gets input and thoughts from the department heads yes. Votes, no.

However…

One thing that could happen that would allow all employees a choice (voice) would be stock votes. Normally, these votes would be for votes like who will sit on the main Board of Directors. But, there are times where the proxy votes contain other items that would affect the entire company like buying or selling another company.

That would be something to consider if the Omni players wanted to look into how to develop that and FC/Ark are able to implement it.

5cents.
    Offer a flower to your enemy..
    If he refuses it, offer a hand
    If he refuses it, offer a bullet
    If he refuses it, give it to him anyways...

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Isn't it just a relief when you wake up in the morning and find you didnt wet the bed?!

Beyond your perfection,
    beneath you and who you used to be
    awaits who I am.

Excess Radio! Bringing you tunage 25/7!

Yes I agree with what you said Mire, I dont think anyone mentioned anything about Omni-Tek employees having any type of voting system. I said Ross hands things down to department heads, and then down the ladder it goes. Thats how the corporate world works.

Benjamin "Fixerben" Bacarella - L212 AL10
    Haywood "Brawlking" Jablomy - L220 AL21

Originally posted by Fantaghiro
    one thing I can tell you though. There's a huge OMNI story ready to be produced, but it's dependent on certain things happening first. So I ask for a little patience. We're not forgetting OMNI in this.
    Aliens invade and kill/kidnap/clone/mind control Phillip Ross? Only a guess, but it would be interesting if there were some secret connection between the aliens and Omni.
    Guide to Teaming With Docs! is the funniest post ever. | "Engie Got Bot" song spoof
    AO chat log of Titanic sinking is the second funniest post ever

No matter how many levels I gain, the Lag Monster is always red to me.

Currently playing The Secret World.

I attended the open council meeting today, but was unable to reach my guild president to ask if he would or would not allow our guild to take part in the CoT. I now have spoken to him and he has given me permission to speak for our guild in his name (he is usually not online durring the meetings) . So can our guild still enter the council?
    Hello, my name is Adan..and I was addicted to Nanokits......untill I discovered Notum Siphon CQ (tm)
    Adan Solkalibur Basso
    Nano-Technician

Armor Layout

Clan affiliated supporter of the Nanomage Liberation Front.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast