Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OOC: CoT Re-opening. the rules of the game

OOC: CoT Re-opening. the rules of the game

Hi there,

As many of you have been hoping and anticipating, the CoT will soon start rebuilding. As many of you have noticed, the CoT building was opened to all public in patch 15.5 to give everyone the chance to see it from the inside.

In the mean time the events team has had close contact with both clerical staffs on both dimensions. Together with them we came up with the following requirements for joining the CoT as a clan.
    one note though....this is not up for negotiation. These are the rules to follow for the CoT.

Requirements and rules

1) A clan must have at LEAST 10 members
    2) Upon joining a clan will appoint 2 representatives who will be given a key to enter the CoT.
    3) Upon joining a clan will pay the CoT 1 million credits annually to support CoT projects and activities.
    4) Upon joining a clan will have to affliliate itself with 1 of the 9 main storyline factions:

Knights
    Sentinels
    Terra Firma
    Eco warriors
    Vanguard
    The Unionists
    New Dawn.

(their views will be detailed in another post)

Switching of affiliation or remainign unaffiliated is ALLOWED, BUT a clan who switched affiliation will not be able to partake in voting while the switch takes place (1 session) or cannot partake in voting until the clan has announced its affiliation.

Based on affiliation the storyline who has the most clans affiliated with itself will set the tone and the course of the CoT. This means that if the sentinels get most support the CoT will push for anti-neutral legislation and an escalation of conflict with OMNI to give an example. If for example the Pilgrims will get the most affiliations, the CoT will drive towards a peace settlement and general co-existence of all factions on rubi-ka.

5) Upon joining every clan will have 1 vote regardless of size or amount of people present in th CoT at that time.

6) The CoT will know 2 chambers, being chamber Atlantean and Chamber Rimor. Both chambers will decide over their own respective dimensions without interference of the other chamber. Only in matters that influence both dimensions will both chambers vote together and will hold an equal weight, regardless of the fact if one chamber holds more clans than the other.

7 To oversee the daily workings of the CoT, a staff of 6 is chosen from amongst the representatives to fullfill clerical tasks such as meeting planning and correspondence. If someone steps down from this staff, the staff itself will elect a replacement with endorsement from the CoT speaker (this wil e an NP controlled by the events department)

-Fantaghiro
    Last edited by Pheats; Jun 4th, 2008 at 14:18:27.
    Events are like a pack of Dobberman pinchers. the only satisfying way to use them is to unleash them onto innocent bystanders

So, right now and according to the storyline, the loose mass of unorganised groups who bicker amongst themselves, and are known as the Clans, are more organised and have stronger backing than the employees of Omni-Tek?

How odd.

Some noob with a plan to

1. Steal thongs
    2. ?????
    3. Dance!

(And why can't I use my proper name of "Cosmik"? OMGORZ! Nerf!!)

My words are found at n3rfed

Originally posted by Cosmikal
    So, right now and according to the storyline, the loose mass of unorganised groups who bicker amongst themselves, and are known as the Clans, are more organised and have stronger backing than the employees of Omni-Tek?

How odd.
    Bump. While I fully support any and all efforts to revive the dead storyline, and realize the effort that Tussa, Vixentrox et al. have put into seeing this whole process through, this does seem a tad slanted.

pokes Ammicus

As they bicker over their poltical system, we have Infinite Circle. Better then nothing I suppose. But yes we are not an "offical" body like the CoT.

from what I gathered, according to the storyline, the council of truth was rebuilding on the clan side.....and omni-tek is still omni-tek.....how exactly is this slanted?
    AO is not just about pvp, or Rp or power lvling. It is about whatever the players choose to bring to it. Don't make it personal against one of these groups because you feel nerfed by the game company.

Atlantian: "Jesska Rhees" - lvl 153 Crat - retired
    Rimor: Krazee "Lilyflie" Madness - lvl 103 ENF - semi around again

Considering a sizeable number of Omni RPers spent the last few months enjoying the vast majority of greenie attention and snickering behind their hands OOC while clanners "bickered" over our political system, I can't say I'm hugely sympathetic. Omni players put in the effort for the NGI storyline and were rewarded with a pretty good story arc. Now it's other people's turn to reap the rewards of their efforts and get some greenie love.
    Delia "Aerinyi" Jett
    General of Whisper's Edge
    Atlantean

Thumbs up

Kudos to all who worked for the CoT rebirth, really.
    It has been a hard work and I know you had to face a lot of sceptical points of view (including mine).
    Roleplay which benefits to the whole playerbase. Just Bravo
    Emilia Enrima Orender, fixer of First Light
    "Whole idea on fixer is being fast, hard to hit. hard to catch and sleazy person in every way. If rooting gives you edge, do it. If u need to chain root, do it. In pvp u use every tool given to you. You are not a knight in shining armor, you are a gangster and thief. You sure dont have to play fair." Snowlion

/ooc

Best of luck to the new CoT. This is the end of a very long journey and I cannot even start to imagine how much work went into it. Many congratualtions!
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Time for OT workers to make some departments and startups and such, maybe? Some departments (Omni-Pol being the most obvious) are already well-represented. You just need an excuse to work together.

[OOC: If that ever happens OT side I call first dibs on Omni-Admin *snicker*]
    Charles 'Kithrak' Houston - Equipment
    Administrator, Omni-Admin
    Bringing the politics of Rubi-Ka to life!

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche-

"By denying support to the possibility of peace, the Council of Truth is guranteeing an outcome of war."-Administrator Houston-

I have a question, if I may

How is this all going to work? I mean, I'm in the Rimor clan ALpha Omega, and my president and I have decided we'll represent Alpha Omega in the CoT meetings - this was decided through the website www.counciloftruth.org ....Anyway, is this website official? Will each of us be consulted and be given a key to the CoT building in time? Annnd....Who do we pay this million credits to, exactly?

Lotta questions, but I've gotta keep the people I'm representing informed
    220 Finalizer (FINALLY, after 3 years without a single ding!) Nulion, Squad Commander (And Council of Truth Clerical Staffer) of Alpha Omega

Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly...Suddenly I awoke...Now, I do not know whether I was then
    a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming that I am a man. - Chuang Tzu

OOC all the way:

Originally posted by Aerinyi
    Considering a sizeable number of Omni RPers spent the last few months enjoying the vast majority of greenie attention and snickering behind their hands OOC while clanners "bickered" over our political system, I can't say I'm hugely sympathetic. Omni players put in the effort for the NGI storyline and were rewarded with a pretty good story arc. Now it's other people's turn to reap the rewards of their efforts and get some greenie love.
    I agree, but maybe not in such terms. What has to be seen also, is that the NGI was first a neutral setting (and has remained under Neutral "care" on Rimor actually, at least the way I've perceived things player-wise), so it's not exactly an Omni-Tek event. Second, the CoT is a long-time effort. The NGI was a very nice set of events, but it's not something that "lasts", while the CoT, if rebuilt, can create events for 3 months, 6 months, 1 year... more? Cause I doubt you want to see it destroyed again after the effort put in by the players, right? So the CoT means long-term. The NGI meant short-term (or middle-term). The NGI meant Neutral with OT participation. The CoT (at least the way I see it) means more "Clan only" from the start (I do'nt mean the reactions to the CoT, I mean the direct involvment. OT doesn't have CoT representatives, which is pretty normal, etc etc). Here lies the difference, to my eyes.

That's what I think is the main concern. It's not a matter of who's "reaping" the efforts and gets greenie-loving (for that matter, "greenie-loving" should come in equal amounts to all sides, not only Clan for 3 months, then OT for 3 months, then Neutral, then rinse and repeat). What this kind of stuff comes to in the end, is always the same thing... "Oh greenie-loving is on Clan, OT RP sucks, let's switch to Clan... ooh no finally the greenies are on OT side, let's go to OT!" I mean, seriously, people, play a char, and stick to it. I'm not turning Dem to Clan just because the CoT is there, but I've seen a similar phenomenon happen during the past year for other events, and frankly, it's a little tiring. The CoT, IS the result of player initiative, and that's what matters... as long as things don't ebcome "CoT only" (or "OT only", or "NGI only"... well you get my point I hope).

All of this said, I've followed the CoT development as much as I could (being OT player and not Clan, that is), and it's excellent news that all of this is wrapping up this way, because it all looked to me like HUGE work, not only from the Clerical staff, but also from the Clan players who supported it, involved themselves to "follow" the meetings, forum, CoT site etc. (And I'm pretty sure said work was even wider, but as i stated, I couldn't witness it the hidden part of the iceberg myself, hehe.)

So yes, let's have something on OT side, but let's not throw pots at each other over all of this either, cause it's stupid. Clan RPers - have fun with the CoT, you worked hard for it, you deserve it! OT RPers - what the hell, we're not gonna cry either, we can do our own RP, and if something arises that can become a more "official" storyline... well then let's work on it and help it happen, eh.
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

I get the feeling from what I have seen, that this CoT effort is almost like a test. I am willing to bet that if it works out well, that more of this kind of thing, esspecially on omni side, will happen. For ages players have asked for more direct involvement in storyline stuff, and the happenings of it. This certainly seems like a hell of a thing to arrange, not only with ark and players, but between servers too.

here is my suggestion. lets give them the benefit of the doubt for a bit here, and see if this situation actually comes together as intended. Then, when/if it has, start asking for the same thing on omni side. I am willing to bet it will be granted, even before it is asked for if this goes really really well

Cheers

oh and kudos to the ark team for the effort they are making to not just police the storyline stuff, but allow for involvement. The clan descriptions I have seen are the best information released so far imo
    AO is not just about pvp, or Rp or power lvling. It is about whatever the players choose to bring to it. Don't make it personal against one of these groups because you feel nerfed by the game company.

Atlantian: "Jesska Rhees" - lvl 153 Crat - retired
    Rimor: Krazee "Lilyflie" Madness - lvl 103 ENF - semi around again

just to answer some questions.

Yes, the CoT is indeed a testcase.
    If this works then we will most likely attempt to start similar projects on the OMNI side.
    However there's a little but there. Keep in mind that OMNI is a corporation. To use a quote from Terry Pratchett and give it an AO twist:
    'OMNI believes strongly in one man, one vote.
    Philip Ross is that man...he has the vote."

Having said that we ARe puzzling on how to give OMNI players something similar, but do not forget: CoT was a PLAYER initiative we cooperated on with them. without their groundwork it wouldn't have gotten where it is today.

Kithrak
    people wanting to call 'dibs' on specific OMNI departments..I'll refer you to a post I made previously regarding storyline orgs and departments. Read it well...draw your conclusions and consider every possible meaning of the phrase: "when hell freezes over"

Demenzia and others:
    the equal amount of greenie love.
    sure...I'm all for it...you have 100 ARKs for me to crew events and do this? I'm currently seeing more people leave due to RL than I can attract and there's just so much i can do with the people I have to keep 2 dims, 3 sides per dim, numerous factions per side happy.
    In other words, it isn't that I don't want to..I just lack the manpower to do it all.
    I'm lucky if I can put 1 story out on both dims at the moment.

Nullion.
    the website www.counciloftruth.org is indeed recognised by ARK and funcom as the forum for the new council of truth.
    Dunno what you mean by consulted and at this time no key is needed to enter the CoT building.
    The rest of your questions will be answered in due time as this storyline will unfold.
    Events are like a pack of Dobberman pinchers. the only satisfying way to use them is to unleash them onto innocent bystanders

Originally posted by Fantaghiro

However there's a little but there. Keep in mind that OMNI is a corporation. To use a quote from Terry Pratchett and give it an AO twist:
    'OMNI believes strongly in one man, one vote.
    Philip Ross is that man...he has the vote."
    [ooc]I don't believe any reasonable roleplayer wants to "rule" Omni-Tek, nor be the right-hand (wo)man of Philip Ross. To be Omni-Tek you've got to accept that there is a pyramid structure, and Philip Ross is the NPC (who is sometimes wheeled out for stories) at the top of that.

The players that accept the structure you have laid down in terms of reasonable roleplaying are merely looking to belong to an offical Omni-Tek department so they may further their roleplaying opportunities, and to help further the storyline either as a whole, or within their specific department (example, if this was done before Shadowlands, I'm sure the players with Omni-Trans would have had a great time doing events in preparation for the Shadowlands opening; and with no overthrowing of Philip Ross in sight). I know if I had a chance to belong to the department I wish (won't name names right now), I'd be concentrating on departmental issues, taking orders from the head of that department, and other "every day" issues. Philip Ross can have his vote and I'll gladly take the orders. I know others who feel the same.

Oh, and I don't think Kithrak was seriously thinking he'd get into anything by calling dibs. (His own merit and roleplaying should get him there anyway. )[/ooc]
    Last edited by Cosmik; Apr 14th, 2004 at 21:21:50.

Some noob with a plan to

1. Steal thongs
    2. ?????
    3. Dance!

(And why can't I use my proper name of "Cosmik"? OMGORZ! Nerf!!)

My words are found at n3rfed

Originally posted by Fantaghiro
    the equal amount of greenie love.
    sure...I'm all for it...you have 100 ARKs for me to crew events and do this? I'm currently seeing more people leave due to RL than I can attract and there's just so much i can do with the people I have to keep 2 dims, 3 sides per dim, numerous factions per side happy.
    In other words, it isn't that I don't want to..I just lack the manpower to do it all.
    I'm lucky if I can put 1 story out on both dims at the moment.
    That's why I said "should" I guess I've written a little too fast though, I didn't mean to make it sound like a reproach or anything (if it did, my apologies, as said it wasn't intended). I guess it could be checked as "what the ideal situation would be". But, on the other hand, "the Clans getting the CoT stuff" doesn't mean either that ALL "greenies" are heading there all of a sudden and that OT/Neutral doesn't get *anything* at all for months. That's not true, and I'm willing to bet it will never happen, even though your team isn't filled with 100 people. In fact, this woudl be closer to what I meant. In all honesty, none of us can say that the events always happen at the same place/side. So, if we put these "big" storylines (NGI, CoT) aside, I think that in fact, every side will always have the feeling that grass is greener on the other side, and bitch that "Clans get all the greenies", or "OT gets all the greenies" etc. This while having "little" events happen, reporters and other green chars wandering around. THs, to me, is also part of the "greenies love" category (and may even be more important in fact, because they're the everyday life, sort of.).

(Note: Nothing wrong about the "little" events, by the way. Actually, the "big" stuff is very tiring and time-consuming, both for players and for the ARKs, I'm sure. To me, the "little" events are the breath of fresh air we all need. No, I'm serious.)

Oh yes, about getting an OT storyline (this addressed to everyone, nobody in aprticular): I honestly don't think that the aim here should be "let's focus on the CoT and make something similar". OT's case is very different from the Clans, indeed. For instance, I'd more easily imagine OT stuff happening around Corporations conflicts (like the Corporate (sp) wars of old), than around a "Council of departments" or something. So if anything is to arise... no Clan-doppleganging, people

And I think I'm talking too much again. Ah well *sighs and stuffs herself back in her closet*
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

It is exciting to see that CoT is moving forward this way, even from OT perspective.

Whatever happens around CoT, has an effect on the Omni-Tek too, so it is not exclusively a story for clanners.

That said, I would like to see Philip Ross at least once in my lifetime.

(I know he was around few times last year, but I missed those events... grr)
    Engineer General Virta, Omni-Pol. Not in active service.

Roleplaying Profile of Jimi "Virta" Hendrix

One thing to remember folks is ALL players interesed in RP can benefit from our efforts. All you need to do is think about it for a moment. Omni players may try to spy, run plots against the CoT, gossip about the various representatives, ect. Neutral players can try to sway a vote benificial for them, curry favor, ect. Obviously the Clan players have a vested interes in trying to work togeher for a common goal.

So...just keep that in mind. This is not just good for clans, but all players with an interest in rp/politics. I'd like to extend my thanks to the ARK, my fellow CoT Staff members, and all the other players who though often skeptikal and impatient (heheh) still supported us.

Now then...Clan reps...submit those affiliations to the CoT website so we can kick this into high gear.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

Originally posted by Demenzia

That's why I said "should" I guess I've written a little too fast though, I didn't mean to make it sound like a reproach or anything (if it did, my apologies, as said it wasn't intended). I guess it could be checked as "what the ideal situation would be". But, on the other hand, "the Clans getting the CoT stuff" doesn't mean either that ALL "greenies" are heading there all of a sudden and that OT/Neutral doesn't get *anything* at all for months. That's not true, and I'm willing to bet it will never happen, even though your team isn't filled with 100 people. In fact, this woudl be closer to what I meant. In all honesty, none of us can say that the events always happen at the same place/side. So, if we put these "big" storylines (NGI, CoT) aside, I think that in fact, every side will always have the feeling that grass is greener on the other side, and bitch that "Clans get all the greenies", or "OT gets all the greenies" etc. This while having "little" events happen, reporters and other green chars wandering around. THs, to me, is also part of the "greenies love" category (and may even be more important in fact, because they're the everyday life, sort of.).

(Note: Nothing wrong about the "little" events, by the way. Actually, the "big" stuff is very tiring and time-consuming, both for players and for the ARKs, I'm sure. To me, the "little" events are the breath of fresh air we all need. No, I'm serious.)

Oh yes, about getting an OT storyline (this addressed to everyone, nobody in aprticular): I honestly don't think that the aim here should be "let's focus on the CoT and make something similar". OT's case is very different from the Clans, indeed. For instance, I'd more easily imagine OT stuff happening around Corporations conflicts (like the Corporate (sp) wars of old), than around a "Council of departments" or something. So if anything is to arise... no Clan-doppleganging, people

And I think I'm talking too much again. Ah well *sighs and stuffs herself back in her closet*
    I can assure you your reply wasn't taken as critisism, but I felt I needed to put things a little in perspective as to why the story comes in chunks instead of a constant and steady flow of events and happenings.

one thing I can tell you though. There's a huge OMNI story ready to be produced, but it's dependent on certain things happening first. So I ask for a little patience. We're not forgetting OMNI in this.

-Fantaghiro

Basically, I think it all comes down to the fact that anything is possible...and the more fun you have trying, the more possible it gets
    Fantaghiro, Xnemth, Hugrun, Genni...and all the others, went into this the first meeting we had, with a fantastic attitude, and really made us the players beleive we could do it. These guys have the right attitude, and I just want to thank them for showing us that there is indeed hope and boundless opportunities...within the given framework of course.
    This is not a case of "Clan getting".......its a case of determination and hard work, not least on the part of Fanta and his gang.
    And, to put the Omni players at rest....Fantaghiro pointed out quite early that this waws a major step Clan wise, and that it would be necessary/desireable to "love Omni too".....so just keep up the good work, OT'ers, and you will harvest.
    My basic motto has been that "Lets have fun trying, and if we fail...well, we had fun doing it"
    Thanks guys!
    Anthony "Cogs" McDuff
    Veteran, Cerberus
    220 Supreme Creator : Master of Wheels...the lingerie modeling robot!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast