Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Practical Banking, Back-Packing and Fashion

Bumpage

I hate the AO banking/Inventory/social clothes system.

If UO can make it simple and easy, why can't Funcom?

(if you've never played UO, the banking system/inv system is a dream compared to AO. I can explain if someone doesn't know)
    -=STRATAH=-

TFC coup co-conspirator
    Member of The Mocker's Naked, Co-ed, Full contact, Drunken, Synchronized Blitzing Team

-=The Mockers=-

yes

can you explain how it is/was in UO, please, Stratah ?
    Stercoral.

Circle G Inc. - Your safety is our business.
    http://nattguiden.no/circle-g/

umm i dont know how to put this.....

lets try this:

DO I HAVE TO KILL TO HAVE AN OPTIONAL TEXT BASED INVENTORY WITH LITTLE ICONS NEXT TO NAMES WITH ALPHA/QL SORTING?

thats all i ask for..thats all i need...

something like the silly DAOC inventory interface... (it may be an excuse for a game but i gotta admit some cool ideas were present in daoc...like the "HOLSTER" feature...is that thread still alive? )
    my rerolling squad (what s IPR? )
    Celebnor, Balbanes, Lacaan, Ignetos, Hadouken, Icehilda, Icementat and the late Seregnor

if you ever met one.....well...nevermind

Re: yes

Originally posted by Stercoral
    can you explain how it is/was in UO, please, Stratah ?
    Ok, I'll try to explain this in a way that makes sense...

In UO, you have a bank box that holds 125 items with no weight limit. Stacked items count as one item. (a stack of 3k bandages, for example, is considered one item)

Your inventory is one large bag and you bank box is one large box (no individual item compartments). You can see everything at once (except for items inside containers, of course)

There are several different types of containers in the game, including (but not limited to) wooden chests, metal chests, pouches, packs, drawstring bags, wooden crates. (there are more, but I won't list them all)

You can put containers inside of containers, inside of containers...etc.

You can pick something up from your bank box and put it back down someplace else in your bank box without the item first moving into your personal inventory. You can open bags from your bank box and a seperate "open bag" graphic appears on your screen and you can see everything in the bag without having to remove it from the bank box. There is no limit to the number of "open bags" ("open box", "open crate", etc) you can have on screen at one time (other than the 125 item limit)

Many of the containers in the game are "dyeable" (you use a dyes on a dye tub, then use the tub of color on the bag). There are a huge number of different colors you can create with the dyes.
    Most people in UO use a combination of colored bags and different container types to organize thier items, both in the bank and in their character's inventory.

For example, you might put all your magical reagents in a small purple pouch, your weapons in a brown bag, your gold in a red bag, etc. Once you organize your things, you always know where things are nad never need to guess (unless you forget). Even if all your stuff gets jumbled up (like when you get killed).

You can't label the bags, but the color coding and using certain container types keeps thigns organized nicely.

If you can imagine your UO bank box being like a big metal chest, and inside that chest, you have all your items organized into bags of different shapes, sizes and colors, with a few items laying loose, well, that's a bit like the UO system. You can open the chest and look through the bags inside without having to take them out of the chest.

And your character's inventory is similar...it's like you have a big bag, and inside that bag, you've got a gold pouch, a bag of clothes, a bag of food, a bag of magical reagents, etc.

I logged into UO to take some screenshots that might help it all to make sense:

Pic 1
    Pic 2
    Pic 3
    Pic 4

(That last pic somehow ended up as a double paste, but you get the idea...)

UO's system may not be the best system, but it's so much easier and simple to use than the system we have in AO.

I'd vote for ANY improvement to the AO system.
    -=STRATAH=-

TFC coup co-conspirator
    Member of The Mocker's Naked, Co-ed, Full contact, Drunken, Synchronized Blitzing Team

-=The Mockers=-

AO Chat Perl Module

Anyone know where I can find the AO Chat Perl Module? hackersquest.com seems to be down.

Podun

Thank you for the expl.
    AO needs something better than what we have now !
    Stercoral.

Circle G Inc. - Your safety is our business.
    http://nattguiden.no/circle-g/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12