Thread: Omni-Tek details?

Question Omni-Tek details?

This is really a question for Cosmik and other FC staff, but I'm sure everyone will chip in:

Given that OT are a hypercorporation, and given my knowledge of how corporations in today's world have to operate, is there anywhere I can view the 'corporate details' part of Omni-Tek?

Company letterhead would be a start, but a look at the company Mission Statement would be nice too. It would certainly make speaking as a representative of Omni-Tek easier when RPing if I knew what the companies priorities were.

Something a little more detailed than 'the bottom line' would be nice

In more detail: Are Omni-Med, Omni-Pol and suchlike simply branches of a single corporate entitiy, or are they themselves individual companies with their own corporate structure who are wholly owned subsidiaries of Omni-Tek Incorporated? (i'm kinda assuming OT is incorporated here).

And is Omni-Tek or any of its subsidiaries publically listed?

I always pictured Omni-Tek Rubi-Ka to be akin to a mining consortium as set up in the U.S. during the Gold Rushes in California and Alaska.

Omni-Tek the parent corporation we have little information about other than the Rubi-Ka branch was set up to develop the Notum found on Rubi'Ka. Being that Rubi'Ka was so far away from Omni-Tek's home planet (Omni-Tek Prime, I think it's called), they needed a structure that would be self-sufficient. Hence we get the divisional structure:

- Omni-Pol: They were charged with policing the miners and making sure that things ran smoothly at the mining camps. They enforced corporate policy. A lot of lawlessness can tend to break out in this kind of 'wild west' atmosphere unless a tight reign is held. With enough Omni-Pol walking the city streets, a night of drinking at Heads 'n Tails is less likely to end up in violence in a back alley.

- Omni-Med: They are responsible for the physical well-being of employees as well as research into how best to adapt to life on the alien planet. Remember Rubi'Ka was a barren dust ball until Terraforming began. They are in charge of developing life forms that are particularly suited to the atmosphere of Rubi'Ka and the needs of Omni-Tek's mining operations. Any non-human life on Rubi'Ka more likely than not was either seeded by Omni-Med or escaped their laboratories.

- Omni-AF: Every outpost needs a military. First to protect from rival hypercorporations and later from rampant mutant attacks. An armed contingent to protect the most important mineral in the galaxy is assumed.

- Omni-InternOps: Yes, you need a department to watch the departments. These are the police who keep an eye on every office in Omni-Tek Rubi'ka Corporate Headquarters. Of course their skills may be called into play for other investigative purposes as required.

- Omni-Reform: Basically public relations. They set up the loudspeakers and signs proclaiming the company's generosity and goodwill. Note that a few loudspeakers still blare propaganda from the last civil war.

- Omni-Trans: Charged with setting up transportation on the planet. The Whom'pas and the Grid are their creation. Surely they work hard each day to find ways to most efficiently get the Notum from the mines to its eventual destination at various depots and refineries throughout the galaxy. I'd assume the Notum cannons in Clon**** where their idea.

I can't see any of these departments having much independence outside of Omni-Tek Rubi'ka's corporate structure. They may have individual charters, yet, undoubtedly all answer to Ross and his bosses. We've yet to get any information regarding Omni-Tek above the level of Phillip Ross and the Rubi'Ka division.

The one I see glaringly missing is the department directly in charge of administering the mines and miners. Who runs the mining operations? Who accounts for daily production and oversees the workers?

I think you forgot Omni-Admin. There was not much information given in the instructions manual about them other than overseeing the rest of the departments.
    Charles 'Kithrak' Houston - Equipment
    Administrator, Omni-Admin
    Bringing the politics of Rubi-Ka to life!

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche-

"By denying support to the possibility of peace, the Council of Truth is guranteeing an outcome of war."-Administrator Houston-

And another one off the official Story site:

http://www.anarchy-online.com/conten...esent/omnidept

... excluding the Grid, which is handled by Omni-Com ....
    Apparently, Omni-Tek recognized a need for the oversight of data transmission through the Rubi'Ka atmosphere. Much like the FCC of the 20th and 21st centuries, Omni-Com is charged with making sure the planet's bandwidth is used appropriately.

It's interesting to note that using the Grid is considered more like a directed data transmission while using the Whom'pa is more like 'travelling'.

Information

Sadly any information we have is guess work at best there has been large problems between info on the website, info in the manual, bits in the Story book and info in game. They have become so confused its hard to tell what Omni-Tek is suppose to be.

From the manual, it sounded as if was a hard line, company taking no prisioners in the pursue of profit. I like to think of them a bit like Microsoft if you will in size.

However the version we have seen so far is a bit wishy washy and more like a government, a complete waste of time, and always seeming to do things for the greater good.

If anything the clans are worst, with the idea of the COT and the clan leaders never have been seen.

So the information on my site might be completly wrong but its the best we have

http://omni-tek.tripod.com/index2.html

look under organization there are currenlty only 3 departments Omni-Admin and Omni-pol and Omni-Reform as that is all we really know.

What really gets me is why go to the lenght to create this rich background, interesting characters in the manual then do nothing with them !!!.

OH if you do have any info on OT I missed post it I will update at some point on my site.

Departments:

Omni-AF (Omni-Tek Armed Forces)
    Omni-Trans (Omni-Tek Transportation and Shipping)
    Omni-Pol (The Omni-Tek Police department / Military department.)
    Omni-InternOps (Omni-Tek Internal Operations)
    Omni-Med (Omni-Tek Medical)
    Omni-Sci (Omni-Tek Scientific Research and Development)
    Omni-Engineering (Omni-Tek Engineering and Manufacturing)
    Omni-Production (Omni-Tek Production and Processing)
    Omni-Com (Communication, Grid, Whompas...)
    Omni-Reform (Omni-Tek Public Relations and Reformation)
    Omni-Admin (Omni-Tek Adminstrative Services)

There are also several clans on the rebel side, defined by the story, so far:

The Clans:

Terra Firma (Low-key, political-party type clan)
    The Knights (Brash, high-impact clan for the retro-romantics, led by Lord Galahad (a.k.a. Efren Christe))
    The Sentinels (Aggressive militant clan/terrorist organisation, led by Simon Silverstone)
    Vanguard (A large and moderate clan with business interests across Rubi-Ka.)
    New Dawn (New Dawn is the largest, and most liberal, of the clans.)
    Gaia (The Sisters of Gaia want to create a New Eden on the other side of the planet, a peaceful and serene "Garden of the Goddess.")
    Eco Warriors (Voted "Least Likely to Succeed" in annual clan-gatherings, the Eco Warriors are despised by most for their militant stance on conservationist and environmentalist issues.)
    PFL (The Popular Front for the Liberation of Rubi-Ka. Aggressive military organisation.)

From the last news on the official site

Dont forget we get flames shooting our of our ass's and horns sticking out of our heads soon.

That Department will be called:

Omni-666

The clans will have a new department too ..

called:

TTT .. (short for The Tele Tubbies)

Cool

If we Omni is going to be evil, I demand that we stop clanner insurance and nuke Tir.

It would also be nice with a daily airstrike vs clan lands with nervgas, and a large unstopable droid army mewing down the clanners every 4 hrs. That should make us Omni evil, and I would then feel ready to put on a black cloak and work for the dark side (or switch side if I want to play on a hunted challanged side that have moral high ground).

Clanners in turn must turn over all terrorists to a neutral court so they will recieve a fair trial, to gain a shining high moral ground.

Originally posted by Spook
    If we Omni is going to be evil, I demand that we stop clanner insurance and nuke Tir.

It would also be nice with a daily airstrike vs clan lands with nervgas, and a large unstopable droid army mewing down the clanners every 4 hrs. That should make us Omni evil, and I would then feel ready to put on a black cloak and work for the dark side (or switch side if I want to play on a hunted challanged side that have moral high ground).

Clanners in turn must turn over all terrorists to a neutral court so they will recieve a fair trial, to gain a shining high moral ground.
    ROFLMAO I love this hehe.
    But it is also very true, as things stand Omni aint so evil, they step on toes yes, but so does every other large company. The biggest crime to date from Omni-tek seems to be the continued hunting down of the Leet!
    As for the Clans, heck they aint so clean. The torched poor old Harry's business in Athen after he had helped them too just because he had a large business and it seems freedom to form large companys aint high on Clan prioritys, and then theirs all the terrorism. Truthfully, you're both as bad as each other!
    Major "Nyadach" Prabel
    Neutral and proud of it!

I second that!

Yup, we're as bad as each other.

Us OT people are capable of being true scumbags. But we're by no means the only ones.

My vote for making IR the 'good guy' faction on R-K!

*vote*

Two sides to every coin

Apparently, the Leet was derived from Earth'ish rabbits. They supposedly have an incredible metabolism and serve to continuously ravage the terraformed zone's plantlife and deposit nitrogen-rich 'nuggets' around the grasslands burning out the turf in a wonderful polka-dot pattern.

If I were terraforming a planet in deep space and something was eating my resources in a harmful fashion and not returning to the ecosystem, I think I would probably address the situation as well.

I have heard nothing good about the Leet other than they are cute. This does not usually tie heavily into a company's decision when talking about profits.

Talking Really?

Actually, that explains a lot, like why it is that no matter how many you manage to kill another 30 seem to spawn almost instantly to take their place.

Do you think carrying a leets foot for luck would work?

Do you think a bioengineered nanotech disease targeted at leets would help control their population?

Maybe the most logical idea would be to introduce a vast number of predators into the ecosystem in order to keep the population in check. I suggest we introduce a large number of 'noobs' into the area - I understand that the noob is the natural predator of the leet. Or is that the other way around?

Hehe..I am going ot have great fun RPing evil when Shadowlands comes out..i hope they give us MPs some decent int/psy armor HINT. HINT. All nano is good for is looks =p
    Ezequiell 220/24 Doctor
    Vojoc 220/23 Meta-Physicist
    Bourrepif 218/16 Martial Artist