Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anarchy Online Expansion Pack

[posting this again because the forum seems to be having some issues and it deleted the original... ]

Originally posted by senond
    added some hate from me to funcom!
    Looks like FUncom is gonna need one of those shiny new detaunters.

Oh wait, we're fixers... so much for being a threat.

As others have said and will say:

FIX what you've already MADE before you MAKE more that you need to FIX!!!
    Originally posted by Whaambulance
    Hi.

This is singlehandedly the stupidest post I have EVER read on these forums. Congradulations.
    'Balancing' Nanos Will Remain Imbalanced Vs. Old Nanos - Because We Said So!

O Gaute, Gaute! Wherefore art thou Gaute?
    Deny thy nerfs and refuse thy lame design decisions;
    Or, if thou wilt not, be but on the forums,
    And I'll no longer be a whiner.

If it is going to be a requirement to continue play I'll be leaving. I've already spent enough money on this game just so they can every 6 months release another add-on we have to pay for.
    Rocco "Naels" Capone
    Atrox Martial Artist, Atlantean

Enforcer Is The Nerfest Prof <-- The dumbest thread in the entire forums!

Well, to be honest, I'd like an expantion... BUT funcom shouldn't pull resources off bugfixing.. THAT was a BIG disapointment.
    Venturealot - 190 Adv
    Plixie - 141 Eng
    + a bunch of alts

Shadowlands suck

I love AO, but this new Shadowlands is a piece of crap. Dont get me wrong, I like alot of the changes, just not the addition of a shadowlands. I could care less about the good and evil, its all how you play it anyway, but I like AO for the sci-fi aspect, not the swords, deamons and all that fantasy crap (the stupid pumpkin head deamons from Halloween are a great example of this kind of annoying content).

Luckily it appears as though I will never actually have to go into the shadowlands. I will be able to enjoy the other additions without being subjected to a fantasy (as in swords and sorcery)world. Still AO is one of the few sci-fi games out there today (non FPS), and I hate seeing this trend by FC to warp it into some metaphysical, fantasy dream world with castles, dragons, deamons and all the other crap I got tired of long ago.

just my 2 creds....

Where are you people getting the idea that people are being pulled off of bug fixing what we already have?

FC has said, many many times that the bug fixes are NOT going to be affected by the expansion...get it? NOT GOING TO BE AFFECTED!!

Yes, some other content is going to be a little delayed, but that's no big deal...gives them more time to internally test things too.

Why dont you wait and see how things work out before you jump to conclusions? Or do you always like going off half cocked??

One thing I do know, you WONT need the expansion to see some of the new stuff that's in it..but I believe you will need it to have access to the new areas, although Im not totally positive on that (Jobe being the main thing I was thinking of, not the shadowlands part). For example the new clothing/gun/armor items will still be viewable by those folks without the expansion...
    Last edited by Barron; May 24th, 2002 at 16:38:49.
    Commander Barron
    Prime Director: Omni-1 Operations
    2nd in Command
    Division 9 [R.S.G.E]
    barron@rsge.net
    Click Here to Visit the ALL NEW Division 9 Website

Dont know if anyone's seen it yet...

...But IGN had some screen shots up of the expansion. Say what you will about FunCom, but the Shadowlands stuff looks NIIIIICE. Of course, it says something when IGN has screen shots up, and FunCom doesnt.

Where you getting this Sword and Sorcery stuff anyways? AO has always had a hefty metaphysical/spiritual component. The Shadowlands appear to be more along the lines of a dark 'mirror' world then a fantasy land.
    ChibiKawai - The KAYOOTEST Level 40 NT ever.

"IWANNASTUFFEDTEDDY AND I WANT ONE NOW!!"

Si-Fi/Fantasy Theme
    I love it. They should really throw the book out. If it was to be big, make it HUGE. If it is to be dark, make it demonic. Make it a dream world where the normal rules of reality don't apply. We still have the normal Rubi-Ka to keep us grounded

Clan = Good/Omni = Bad
    At first I really, really hated this idea. I loved the idea of alter egos but didn't want to attach morality to them. As I thought about it however, I started to warm to the idea. Omni and Clan are too much alike. There needs to be more differences.

If Funcom wants to actually start doing a story where Omni is evil, then that is great. If you are Omni and don't want to be considered evil then think of yourself as the good guy who got caught up in a bad situation. Secretly work against Omni for peace, but if found out there should be penalties. Same for the Clans.

AO, and all MMORPGs, need a little more structure. I know that people want everything to be possible, but guess what, that can get boring and too often leads to the "So what do I do now" syndrome. So I say go for it Funcom. Make Omni evil. Really, really, really EVIL. Of course that means you'll have to flex those story-telling muscles, which seems to have atrophied as of late, that is if you ever really had them.

Character specialization
    Good in theory, but... Funcom hasn't even come close to balancing the classes as they are right now. How are you going to add this on top of it? This leads me into my final point.

AO isn’t ready for an expansion. If we were to have it right now, players would still only do missions. There is no incentive to explore or hunt outside. There is now reason to PvP. There are still horribly gimped professions that wouldn’:t be fun no matter what an expansion brought.

Right now, AO is flawed at its core. Building a new world on that core, no matter how beautiful, is destined to fail. The world of Rubi-Ka is already the best looking MMORPG out there, but that doesn’:t help the fact that the only thing players over 100 see is the inside of a monotonous, randomly generated mission that takes forever to complete.

Originally posted by Barron
    Where are you people getting the idea that people are being pulled off of bug fixing what we already have?

FC has said, many many times that the bug fixes are NOT going to be affected by the expansion...get it? NOT GOING TO BE AFFECTED!!

Yes, some other content is going to be a little delayed, but that's no big deal...gives them more time to internally test things too.
    Actually, we aren't going off half-cocked. We are comparing the hype with the original AO, the product that launched, Funcom's record in covering up the truth, and the hype for Shadowlands; and making some conclusions. Conclusions which, in my opinion, are not entirely unreasonable.

Funcom will be making approximately the same amount of money over the next 6 months that they made over the last six months. They have no new products out to make for a new cash inflow (unless the Special Edition of AO is flying off the shelves at your stores faster than my usual haunt). There have been no more advertisements for new people on Funcom's web site than usual (currently=2). It will take a lot of people to make this expansion a reality. So unless Funcom had a lot of people sitting around twiddling their thumbs, they are pulling people off of current AO work (and SO much still needs to be done!) and putting them to work on Shadowlands. And don't say that they are pulling them off other Funcom products, they did that a few months ago when they cancelled Midgard and other products to concentrate on trying to save AO and the company.

And if you think that Funcom will take the time to truly test everything, you were obviously not around for launch. Do you have any idea how many HUGE bugs were reported by beta testers that did not convince Funcom to delay (bugs like 'the few trade skills implemented don't work' and 'there is an incredible amount of lag' and some things that STILL haven't been fixed)? Do you know how many game-breaking bugs (everyone remember invulnerable mobs?) were reported by testers and ignored by Funcom who sent several disastrous patches forward?

I play this game because it is fun, but I am not just trying to be an ass when I say that anyone that trusts in Funcom's hype and testing methods at this point just has not been paying attention. I want Funcom and AO to turn the corner and make this the game that it could be (you know, with a storyline maybe?). But up to now, Funcom has proven themselves to be completely untrustworthy and they are going to have to prove they have changed with actions instead of words before I'll believe otherwise. Their words are no longer worth the paper they are printed on.

Okay, rant over.

Scorus

Omni-Tek is evil? I don't think so

Hmmm, generally it sounds like a great expansion, but...

After reading Gamespy's first impressions, I was both excited and disturbed...

That bit about Omni employees having horns and generally representing evil really bugs me. I certainly hope they plan on having better criteria than that to determine your 'alignment'. I choose to play the game from the perspective of being morally and ethically good and all my actions reflect this,- I will be very upset to find that I am arbitrarily tagged as evil.

K

Ahhhh

Huh Huh, He Said ****.
    **** He he

Originally posted by Crin
    Make Omni evil. Really, really, really EVIL.
    They aren't already?

Originally posted by Scorus
    Do you know how many game-breaking bugs (everyone remember invulnerable mobs?) were reported by testers and ignored by Funcom who sent several disastrous patches forward?
    I heard those still pop up occasionally... except now they can warp around a mission like regular mobs.
    Hi.

This is singlehandedly the stupidest post I have EVER read on these forums. Congradulations.

Bah

The author of the article does us the service of establishing their complete cluelessness in the introductory paragraphs, saving us the trouble of reading through the whole thing to see what other misinformation they were making up about the upcoming expansion.

- Tboo

the Link :P

Here's the link to the may 22nd Article on IGN's Website

http://pc.ign.com/articles/360/360429p1.html
    If you are Failing to Plan,

You are Planning to Fail.

Talking hehe

noway I'll pay more than 13 bucks a month to funcom...not sure why I pay that to be honest.

And ofcourse shadowlands is gonna suck as much as ao...duh? Have u guys never played other games? A sequal is just a another version of the first game, with different graphics.

I loved the specializing thingy...If an ma chose to go "Healer" he gets extra points into Treatment and First Aid, hahaha. Yeah, that's the ultimate healer...well, ok...soon a crat with first aid will be able to outheal a trader, but still...I prefer healing nanos of a stick.

Lol, keep up the good work, Funcom, u will have Tir unlaggy and empty for players soon.

Oh, and Clan good, Omni evil? Pff...Try Clan and Omni good, GM and ARK evil.

Arrow More from E3...

Gamespy stuff:

preview
    Screenshots

Re: hehe

Originally posted by Gold
    Lol, keep up the good work, Funcom, u will have Tir unlaggy and empty for players soon.
    Tir will NEVER be unlaggy, heretic!
    Hi.

Gold,

In all liklihood, they arent going to charge more per month with Shadowlands, just the 1-time charge to buy the CD...where are you getting they're going to charge more per month? Or is that just an ASSumption...

Scorus, Ive been here since Beta myself...and yes, launch was totally FUBAR...but in the time since then, I do think FC has gotten at least a bit better, although not perfect...

Everyone has to remember, this was a first for FC...they made mistakes like everyone else did when they launched too, but they do seem to be trying to make things better...
    Last edited by Barron; May 26th, 2002 at 13:46:38.
    Commander Barron
    Prime Director: Omni-1 Operations
    2nd in Command
    Division 9 [R.S.G.E]
    barron@rsge.net
    Click Here to Visit the ALL NEW Division 9 Website

Re: More from E3...

Originally posted by Darkbane
    Gamespy stuff:

preview
    Screenshots
    Unfortunately, for those of us who WENT to E3, Funcom was a huge disappointment. They were not in any of the main Exhibit areas with anything on display for the public. When I found their 6'x8' cubicle with 3 posters and 2 bragsheets about the company with release dates for their Special Edition and Expansion Pack, I was told I was not allowed in and that any discussions with Funcom at E3 were "behind closed doors only." I'm assuming it was only for investors and the media.

This was very disappointing, since Funcom was the biggest reason I went to E3 in the first place. I expected them to at LEAST let the public see screenshots, or look at Concept art for the Expansion pack, or even TALK to Funcom employees. I expected at the *VERY LEAST* to be pushing their Special Edition of AO which was to be released just one week after E3. None of that, not so much as even a computer or a copy of the game in sight (for those who were able to get into the special cubicle).

On the plus side, before I even PARKED at the LA Convention Center for E3, I was being overwhelmed by people handing out copies of AO to people in their cars and exhibition attendees. It's the old copy, not the new Special Edition (which makes sense, since the old copies are about to be useless), but nonetheless, it made my day to see my favorite game being handed out to hopefully acquire a larger player base! The people handing out the games were constantly opening new crates of boxes to pass more copies of the game out. They said they were giving away upwards of 10,000 copies of the game! Way to go Funcom!

In the end: Am I disappointed with Funcom's role at E3? Yea, pretty much. From what I read on the AO website before E3 began, I was fully expecting AO to have previews of Shadowlands on public display -- But for them to tell the public (their playerbase!!!) they weren't allowed in to see anything, that hurt.

Even Sony and ID Software were being overly cautious about letting people see their new games. Sony had "By appointment only" previews of Starwars Galaxies and Everquest 2, and ID Software was (correct me if I'm wrong) selling tickets to get into the Doom III preview (there was a sign on the door saying "Sold out," so I can only assume..).

Ahh well, I still had a blast trying out various games and seeing previews for games such as AC2 and Age of Mythology. Hopefully next year Funcom will have a much larger role at E3! Don't let me down again next year Funcom, please!

And Darkbane, thank you for the links, now I don't feel *as* cheated as I did at E3, because the links actually show concept art and screenshots. Much thanks

Regards,

--Tsk

Smile

No problem , but E3 is more of a media/investor event than a public one, so not everything is on display out front. This has always been the way of E3. Disappointing? Yes. Unexpected? No.

Originally posted by Barron
    Gold,

In all liklihood, they arent going to charge more per month with Shadowlands, just the 1-time charge to buy the CD...where are you getting they're going to charge more per month? Or is that just an ASSumption...
    Paying $40 (or whatever) for Shadowlands is still paying more than $13 a month.
    Hi.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast