Thread: OOC: Creation of AO Related Lingos and Slang

OOC: Creation of AO Related Lingos and Slang

I know this is out of character but it pertains to role-playing more so than for other forums. I was thinking of a player created slang and lingo system. The only word I can think of that we have is meep.

I was thinking along the lines of shazbot from Tribes, frill from Farscape, etc.

This idea came to me when I was reading a story referring to age and think people would call it cycles rather than an earth year.

Edit: Keep it clean too! This is a moderated forum.
    Meldaeyn
    220 Omni Meta-Physicist on Rimor
    As long as the enemies of the corporation still draw breath, there can be no peace.

Bastich: From the Lobo comics is something i frequently use. As in "You wrecked my Yalm you bastich!"

Notumhead: Someone so blinded by greed that they can´t see the 500+ pound Atrox Enforcer making a swing at their head with a Beam.

Having Agent and/or Agency problems: Perma-kill or incorect ressurection. As in "Zork got bent over by the Agent last night." It´s a referal to insurance agencies of old having a love of stiffing their customers of insurance payments if they could.

And with that i leave the floor for anyone else.

Edited: Messed up some punktuation.
    "On the frontlines, there is but one commandment...
    Thou Shalt Kill."

"As i stride knee deep through the dead, all is clear. I know what must be done...
    My cause is just...My will is strong...
    ...And my gun is very, very large!"
    The words of a true soldier.

Well many words have a sligtly different meaning in AO like "rooted", "rolling" (missions) and "spawning".

But there is some more group-related slang ingame to. The different sides of the conflict are using some words like "clammers" that the other side wont/don´t use. Some sidespecific words might even not be possible to understand for the other side.

Upupa (220/20/60) Valhall Guardians. equip
    Tantal (220/25/68) Atrox Keeper

Doctors have a pet name it seems, they are often called "Heal Monkeys" and even "Heal Pets" by other professions because all they do is spam heals for most of their life time on their team mates.

Fixers and their fixer grid used to be referred to as "taxi service", i don't see it used much any more.

Sometiems i like to use the term "kamikaze" when i'm in a place such as temple of three winds and i need to get out of there quickly and no one is around to meep me. for example: "I'm gonna kamikaze out of here, see you all in rome"
    This is Me, and this is Me PWNING a Heckler, WOOT!
    *all artwork is copyright protected originals by Mr.Fli

Originally posted by Cz
    And we all know Omni kick clan butts anytime.
    Freshman Jayne "Farmacist" Cifuentes

Meatballs and Cookiedough-demons as for the MP pets.
    ~Trolls~
    Malcom "Chamaelo" Ashwell - Ex-Immortal.
    Vanguard Adriaan "Demongun" Blackwind - Hermit.
    Jawquez "Jawalooc" Loocazt - Bounty Hunter.
    Michael "Mirkle" Kreble - Creep.
    Christopher "Xelger" Junior - Coffee Maker.

Child Of The Omni - The Boy With The Kitten - Sleepless - The Storm/Breathe - Terminal

"You've just got to keep writing, if that's what makes you happy,
    even when there is no indication anyone is actually reading your work." - Savoy

Wewt
    w00t
    h00t
    gratz0rs..(where did that one come from)
    big chicken (tarasque)
    Omniteksnipe -RP Character
    Ruzan -Solitus Enfs Unite
    Rewzan -Shade Powah
    Ruzan0 -Engie Powah

Happiness is not just around the corner... it *is* the corner..

*h00gles*

My own creation. A hug.
    -- Killchain

Originally posted by Ruzan

big chicken (tarasque)
    also

Cook the chicken (to kill tara)
    The chicken is ready (tara spawned)

also not really from Ao just MMO's in general

"I just woke up" = I just logged on

cant think of any right now

Hehe all these Im familiar with and true to AO. However they are mostly gameplay related terms, I am speaking off slang and lingo of the year 30000.

More for roleplaying and giving characterization to the universe.
    Meldaeyn
    As long as the enemies of the corporation still draw breath, there can be no peace.

Such as my post.
    *Waves his own banner*
    WooT is me!!

Edit: What is it with me and punctuation?
    "On the frontlines, there is but one commandment...
    Thou Shalt Kill."

"As i stride knee deep through the dead, all is clear. I know what must be done...
    My cause is just...My will is strong...
    ...And my gun is very, very large!"
    The words of a true soldier.

i'm going to argue that AO's futuristic setting and tounge-in-cheek humor blends both gameplay words and roleplay together.

from a game play element we all know what leet or 1337 or other haxx0r speakz0r means, but we often find leet intergrated into roleplay in AO. for example the geneology of the furry little creature leet.

in a real world setting we sometimes hear computer programmers, network engineers, and other technologically savvy people being reffered to as "techno-monkeys" (i.e. computer monkey, web monkey, etc.) wich is loosely interpreted as meaning that these guys make their job look so easy that a monkey can do it. same principal can be applied to doctors in AO's future because from a gameplay element playing a doctor is very engaging, but from a roleplay element docs make it look so easy that a monkey can do it I don't mind being called a heal monkey, in fact i kind of like it.

to explain where the term "meatball" and "cookiedough-demon" came from in a roleplay kind of view probably some drunken mataphysisist some time ago stumbled out of Neuts-R-Us looked at his pets with hazy vision and in a stuppor indused impulse probably mumbled something along these lines: "Lets go floating meatball (why he thought meatball i have no idea - maybe there is a recipy for meatballs in bliq's cookbook) and cookie dough man, we're not welcome here anymore!" the term caught on apparently.
    This is Me, and this is Me PWNING a Heckler, WOOT!
    *all artwork is copyright protected originals by Mr.Fli

Originally posted by Cz
    And we all know Omni kick clan butts anytime.
    Freshman Jayne "Farmacist" Cifuentes

How about

I r teh uber, I ownz j00 n00b! Kthxdie
    Whine more plz I feed on your tears

Ethernal- "Friends don't let friends infonet drunk"

My internet is waaaay faster than yours so you can suck my fiberoptic!

I don't think anyone understands what I mean... More like regional in game in character terms.

cycle - time of one orbit of RK around the 2 suns of the galaxy.
    pull a silverstone - to get others injured due to problems that arise from your actions (used more in omni areas)
    gridfreeze - bad headaches from gridding or bad meeps
    hes so radiman - someone who is hard to find and disappears for some time

things like these!
    Meldaeyn

Originally posted by Meldaeyn

pull a silverstone - to get others injured due to problems that arise from your actions
    things like these!
    In that case call me simon ><
    Whine more plz I feed on your tears

Ethernal- "Friends don't let friends infonet drunk"

My internet is waaaay faster than yours so you can suck my fiberoptic!

"WIYNG"'s A.K.A. ARK-RPers

For you who don't know what WIYNG means, it stands for Why Is Your Name Green.
    ~Trolls~
    Malcom "Chamaelo" Ashwell - Ex-Immortal.
    Vanguard Adriaan "Demongun" Blackwind - Hermit.
    Jawquez "Jawalooc" Loocazt - Bounty Hunter.
    Michael "Mirkle" Kreble - Creep.
    Christopher "Xelger" Junior - Coffee Maker.

Child Of The Omni - The Boy With The Kitten - Sleepless - The Storm/Breathe - Terminal

"You've just got to keep writing, if that's what makes you happy,
    even when there is no indication anyone is actually reading your work." - Savoy

Originally posted by Meldaeyn
    I don't think anyone understands what I mean... More like regional in game in character terms.

cycle - time of one orbit of RK around the 2 suns of the galaxy.
    pull a silverstone - to get others injured due to problems that arise from your actions (used more in omni areas)
    gridfreeze - bad headaches from gridding or bad meeps
    hes so radiman - someone who is hard to find and disappears for some time

things like these!
    So basically you want us to make stuff up? I've NEVER heard the phrases you mentioned being used before.

How about this:

Peggin' -- To do something to an extreme. EXAMPLE: Did you see that GA Fixer? He ran through so fast he had to be peggin'!
    Amosco -- Brokest Trader on RK2
    Coope -- His bot is his best friend

Originally posted by Dark Kensai
    Promising the stars and then hitting the customer with a bat so that they see stars is not the same thing.

Originally Posted by sobeguy
    If you really want this chair, why not just get a phalloplasty and address your real concern?

Become a Lifer

Lingo

Not to get technical here, but we play in a game that is based on a nanotechnological society, it's so common we don't even think about it, so I thought there might be some lingo related to that. For instance, in present day technology, there's been a lot of buzz about carbon nano-tubes(don't ask, they're really, really, really small tubes made of carbon), so to insult somebody you could call them a 'Tubey', or say 'No, tubes for brains!', meaning they have nothing but little empty tubes for brains. Kinda strange to hear for us, but maybe not 30k years in the future.

refried=the experience of being reconstructed after death, regarding the death penalty

otter=slang, derogatory term used by clans to refer to someone affiliated with Omni Tek(OT....Omni Tek...)

juicer=this is from Rifts, the pen and paper roleplaying game so i hope i don't get a lawsuit, but a juicer is someone who is basically strung out on chemicals, so maybe a stim freak

I don't know, can't think of anymore right now. I'll prolly get flamed for some of these, they sound kinda strange....oh well, just trying to help. Good idea though, I'd like to see more of this.

res

I'm from Atlantean...but I've modified current slang into AO slang quite succefully.

1) Son of a B**** = Son of a Leet

Usually used in a humorous fashion between friends, also used describing enemies or foes who keep coming back like a pest.

2) Don't drink and drive = Don't drink and yalm

Well, this was easy, but hey driving under the influence is not good now or in 30k in the future.

3) Lets EMT him out!

EMT is an abreviation for Emergency Medical Teleport, usually done to get severely hurt people out of danger, or to protect someone who may be in serious danger.

More to come...
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Originally posted by Windguaerd

3) Lets EMT him out!

EMT is an abreviation for Emergency Medical Teleport, usually done to get severely hurt people out of danger, or to protect someone who may be in serious danger.
    Kinda like "Lethargy in the Absence of Gas," right?

Actually, no. LAG is when your slowed down to a crawl...

EMT gets you out of danger, nothing to do with lag or latency.

I think either myself or my friend Caid came up with this concept back in 2002 during some skirmishes against the greenie dust brigade in Atlantean (back then they weren't even green yet, they had white names). Some dusters were trying to kill certain people who were the strongest of the clan fighters, so we called an EMT to get them out of sight and then return at full strength.

Well, it worked...but the dusters killed a lot of people back then, and it was fun.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.