Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OOC: You Can't Change the Storyline

IC:

OmniTek has shown its whish, obey. It is of no intrest to OmniTek, or its employees to dwell on this any more.

OOC: But it would be realy nice if this acctualy turned out to be true...oh, the plots, the lies... =)
    Father Chagidiel
    High priest in The Church of OmniTek

FC had planned on A assassination attempt on Radiman. These are the 'transmissions' overheard in TAG. However, contrary to Funcom's plans, a player (Aberic) assassinated him first. Rather than contact Aberic and work him in as the assassin, they made up this story about a clone decoy. Oh, wait...TWO clone decoys; one for Aberic, and one for the 'real' assassin, because their predestined storyline had the 'real' assassin failing as well.

Since word of Aberic's attempt had already spread to far for them to squelch, FC came up with the speed-e-trial(tm) for Aberic, perhaps as a deterrent to other 'griefer' assassins. Aberic and Truwind were given slaps on their wrists, and Funcom continues on with it's predetermined storyline.

Funcom did not even consider that a player might attempt to 'interfere' with the storyline, thus Aberic took them completely by suprise. There is no indication (as far as I can see) that any actions commited by players to date will have any impact on the storyline.

I can understand how some say 'Funcom is telling a story', and I agree to a point; the story of Elaina, Radiman, and the Agent, Joshua, is a character-driven story, and it is their right to tell it as they see fit.

On the other hand, this is not the only story. What of Omni vs. Clan? We sit on the Funcom sanctioned Faction Leader Councils, arguing for or against the amnesty, and yet our voices make no difference.

If Funcom wants to tell the story of Elaina et al., let them do so, but against the background of OUR actions. Funcom's story should be flexible enough that, should WE take action, the story is only marginally effected. If a guild is brought up on charges by a Faction Council, have Radiman (or Ross) mention it in the movies during their chess match. We don't have to be the 'stars' of the movie, but toss us a frickin' bone here....

When I play pen & paper RPGs, I get off on making a difference in the game world. Sure, maybe the GM fudged a roll or two to make sure I could make it to the lowest level of the dungeon. OK, maybe he guided my decisions once or twice so it fit his vision of how the story should go. However, he always worked it so that, if my character died sacrificing himself for the village, his heroism would become legendary. My character's teammates would only have to mention his name and doors would open for them. His actions had impact...

anyway, just my 2 cents...
    Last edited by Spookymonster; Dec 6th, 2001 at 03:39:24.
    Former Omni Prime Minister, The Hand of Chronos- aohoc.tripod.com

OOC:
    The last part of your post is my point exactly, exept, that FC are now trying to be GM for about 40k people. We CANT have EVERYBODY effecting the story. It is simply not possible.

I do think FC is aware of the problem, and are trying to figure things out, and the fact they acctualy tried to throw in this "trial" shows clearly that they WILL continue to try. They could have just said that Ross now decided Tru and Ab to be guilty. Now they invited players, to both be jurys and spectators.

I for one think this is a sign that they are trying to let us interfer, but not telling the story our selfes, and i think that is the best they can do, considering we ARE so damn many around in Rubi-Ka.

So, if Radiman was suposed to be killed, or not, really dosnet matter, the important things is that we just wittnesed a trial, and about everythings was player interaction. Sure it was flawed, and could have been better all in all, but the thing is that FC tried. They will learn, and so will we.
    Father Chagidiel
    High priest in The Church of OmniTek

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Spookymonster
    [

Funcom did not even consider that a player might attempt to 'interfere' with the storyline, thus Aberic took them completely by suprise. There is no indication (as far as I can see) that any actions commited by players to date will have any impact on the storyline.

If Funcom wants to tell the story of Elaina et al., let them do so, but against the background of OUR actions. Funcom's story should be flexible enough that, should WE take action, the story is only marginally effected. If a guild is brought up on charges by a Faction Council, have Radiman (or Ross) mention it in the movies during their chess match. We don't have to be the 'stars' of the movie, but toss us a frickin' bone here....

(QUOTE)

sigh.,Spooky monster is right indeed...it looks like Funcom wants to tell its' story and the less interference by us players the player...sure we will be asked to "participate" in controlled events ...

fact is, they should have reponded to this event by letting Radiman die and alter the storyline accordingly...

perhaps this is proof why no other MMOROG has dared to do a "storyline"...coz it is impossible to have a dynamic one that is altered week to week? I wish it is not so...in my humble opinion, something Funcom seriously needs to do is employ a group of people do be dedicated to PLAYING major key players and whomever necessary to further a storyline..and this is their FULL TIME job..ie even when not roleplaying say Radiman, can roleplay a minor crazy lunatic mouthing off about OT/Clan....offering special missions etc...

ah why do i even bother...really..all the things we put down..is it really ever going to help?
    Chirurgie

Omni-Med Doctor

"Dammit, I am a doctor. not a MOB Magnet!"

"Humidity Extractors for all Doctors, NOW!"

Massive interactive storylines

I have no problem with the storytelling model AO has chosen. Nor with the story they have chosen to tell in that model. As both a writer and a game designer I believe that trying to destroy the narrative you are participating in is the grossest form of disrespect.

So, for all those who went OOC in an RP situation (The Trial): do any of you think that you are able to do the job better than FC? Or do you think that by trying to destroy the system you are somehow improving matters? Or that by going OOC and screaming about "how much this game sucks" you are creating a better experience?

Seriously people - if we all pulled together and participated constructively the whole experience would benefit. But, I fear, there are far too many frustrated gamers too worried about being uber to actual show any respect for that FC is doing...

PS. Anyone on this thread seriously interested in how to tell massive interactive stories - take a look at the narrative model that VR1 wants to try in their coming MMORPG.

Check the website at http://lostcontinents.vr1.com/
    The Interactor

"If it was easy, then everyone would do it"

Exclamation Am I being ignored?

COMPLETELY OOC:

Does not everyone see what is going on? Look what is happening right under our noses!!!! I think this is the biggest storyline turn we have had and yet everyone is too busy whining about it to notice. How could Aberic kill Radiman????? We MUST FIRST answer this question. I am sorry, but I refuse to believe that a level 130(whatever he was) can sucessfully take down a level 350. What about level caps? I know I am at level 47 right now and there is no way I could even challenge someone twice my better. How could that PvP match even start? And if it did, how could he win? What about the 40% cap damage? What about the fact that he was a martial artist? He would have had to hit several times. WE ARE NOT SEEING THE TRUTH!! Aberic didn't kill Radiman, that is impossible. Something else is going on, and before you can continue this 'FC doesn't let us change the story' whine, you all need to find out what really happened.
    Frelo - Level 29 Fixer (and loving every minute of it)

Anahata - Level 110 Solitus Trader
    Khephra - Level 6 Solitus Engineer
    Zaum - Level 8 Nanomage MP
    Merkaba715 - Level 50 Nanomage NT (Sleeping till NT's are fixed)
    Dimholt - Level 10 Atrox Enforcer
    Omni
    Rubi-Ka 1

'The only ones that see the end of war are the dead' - Plato

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123