View Poll Results: How do you find what you're looking for on the market forums?

Voters
565. You may not vote on this poll
  • I browse through the many pages of threads, looking at the thread titles

173 30.62%
  • I use the Search This Forum option (lower right corner of the thread list)

111 19.65%
  • I use the main Search feature (upper right corner of any page)

252 44.60%
  • I check the View New Threads list (upper right on the forum main page)

9 1.59%
  • Other (please explain)

20 3.54%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you find what you're looking for on the market forums?

I use a combination of ways. Since people spell things differently or abbreviate items, you have to use different techniques to discover what you are looking for.

Browsing the titles is helpful if people classify items appropriately. Secondly, the specific forum search scopes the search to the content for the dimension you want. Third, you have to troll each of the posts to see if what you want is in there.

I would like to see the following:

1. Support in the search engine for exact phrases.
    2. A mechanism for recording selling prices that requires both parties to confirm the item/amount to show a current market price for the item in game. (?Stock ticker in a Shopping channel?)
    3. Ability to import directly from the "Helpbot" store. (yeah, cut and paste is easy but lots of folks don't know about the store)
    4. Ability to have sold items "tagged" in the posting text so default search excludes hits on those items unless overriden.
    5. Have a "watched for" item feature that will send a notification if a desired item is posted.
    6. Have the forums available via RSS publishing.
    Marquess - Martial Artist (Rimor)
    Countdmoney - Doctor (Rimor)

Member of Project EDEN

Market searching

I am quite new in the game (about ½ of the year) and even less familiar with market situation. At first I just looked the threads on the Rimor market.

After that I started to use main Search feature, but do not like it yet, because I do not know how to find full item description (like in Google using brackets "embryo of awn", and I know, embryo is NoDrop, but not anymore after next patch :P).

Now when Cz showed to me that there is search also on the bottom of the each page, I might start using it

I voted other becuase i use both search options actually

IMO it would help if there was another option in the normal search, "search for exact match", for instance I search for "Active Brain Symbiant, Control Unit Aban" then i'd get only results back that match that, and not results for each word individualy.

No idear how hard this is to implement though, but would be helpfull i think

Also, when looking for dynacamp loot i usually look for thread titles that says "bank sale" or something in teh first 2-3 pages
    Becky "Cenelia" Schatz and equipment
    Picture drawn by MrFli

[Clan OOC]Azzreal: ok all pay attention. Qwazeech and cen are now elevated to god (and godess) status

Douglas Adams: "I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to end"

/)(X.(>_x)(\<) bunnies shouldnt play with blenders
    disclaimer: bunny was not hurt permanently thanks to my divine powers

did you cuddle a leet today?

as many others I have voted other and not teh 1st alternative. I browse through the 1st page, maybe 2nd. if I cant find what I'm asfter I check again 10-20 min later.

I do sell lotsa stuff too and I try to bump the thread so ppl will see it on the 1st page most of the time. That's where it gets attention.

I do a search for terms that are important to me, like, "x-3", "caterwaul", "VTE", or [name of nano]

I just don't have the time to read the threads, and this gets me where i want.
    My guys:
    Measle, the level 151 Doc,
    Sneezle, the level 71 Agent
    Dzeezul, the level 30 Martial Artist
    Tweezle, the level 75 Engineer

Our motto:

Implants not done? JOBE clusters won't run? Not having fun? TREATMENT GUN!

Option 1.
    Beef up the search options. So when you pick Rimor Market you get a few more options.

_Embryos
    _Visions
    _NANO
    _Weapon
    _Symbiant
    _Uberitem worth billions
    _Spirits

This would in turn lead to the need to create a beginning Template for Market posts.

Option 2.
    Or as in SWG a Bazaar. Only played in SWG beta and not sure how thats working as we speak but was kinda cool.
    Put your item in Bazaar set a price and let the MARKET do the work.

Option 3.
    Personnel Shops- Were these not before launch supposed to be a feature? Works kinda like bazzar but on a individual level. Person buys a Shop($$$) costly of course to buy since this is a High End type of Uberness. Set shop in a known trading area. Prolly a side room to a advanced shop but better prolly as a separate building.
    Put item in. Set The Price. Let MARKET do the work.

Option 3b.
    Organization Shops- Like above but in or near ORg city/town. this would allow org to for example pool sets of armors so a person buying can get more of a choice.

Option 4
    Request Shops- Person requests a item.. U check this terminal or Bot and go get item. Place in terminal/ Bot and its bought.
    this could also be for services.. Kill Aztur..Blitz me NCU-Paying 1mil...etc

Option 5
    Shops tied to Player BIO on main AO site. In game someone does a OOC.. check website got new items..come on come all. Hit main AO page. Find playa.. click on link to SHOP and bingo.

I know these things are all prolly a creation nightmare. But just some ideas.. If we can do anything above what the current forums can do will be a bonus. FC will continue to cement the fact that you do care about the Player Community and are willing to help us enjoy a better game experience.

<<Or there is always>>
    Option 6
    Make everything NoDROP
    Last edited by The Validator; Mar 11th, 2004 at 18:19:29.

I like having FIND EXACT MATCH...not if your search words are in the post somewhere.

Besides that...finding items would be easy, it's PICKING UP THE ITEM that is a pain. Give us some sort of offline trading system, a market, a bazaar...something!
    Zeta "Gundam01" Prototype

"All that we see or seem, Is but a dream within a dream."
    - Edgar Allan Poe

Voted Search.

If I look for something specific (symbiants) then the title doesn't give the whole story. the majority of ppl offer more than 1 item.

Browsing, just to see if I find something I thought I might need.
    209NT Yeah .... Boom .. Big Bada Boom

Taking lessons from another game I played for years and years...

Market forums should have sub categories for:

Armor
    Weapons
    Nanos
    NCU & Utilities
    Implants
    Other

and then one for people who like multi item bank clearances...

Auctions

Far easier to search through stuff when separated like this yet still leaves the open to list a bunch of junk together in an Auction forum.

voted other

i usally search 3-4 first pages.. if not found i wait and look at pps on first page. or post WTB tread

I voted for the Main search function, it really is the main source of how i find what im looking for. However, I usually "browse" the first 3 pages or so just looking for items i can use, or need.

For example, I would search for a specific nano for my doctor, like "Uncontrolable Body Tremors" , but browse for all the other heal/DoT/HoT/Team Health stuff just because i dont want to search for them all individually. I'd search for "Bank sale", or something to that effect depending on how the threads I see are labeled.

So I'd say its a combination of Main Search (specifying the forum in the search) , and simply browsing the first few pages of threads.
    http://www.Just-Gamers.com - Web Hosting for Gamers
    1.5 Gig Disk Space and 10 Gb of Monthy Bandwith for $6.00 a Month!
    All the features you want, more disk space then you need,
    Loads of bandwidth, and $6 a month! Oh yea, btw...
    No Setup Fee and the first month is free! Hello? Sign up already

Poll closed. Thanks for contributing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123