Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Chat Interface And The Future

Re: Voice Chat

Originally posted by Deadcow
    I know this would probaly be laggy and difficult to setup, but mabey in the future a voice chat feature would be nice. I wouldn't like it in a public area with a bunch of people so it should only be with /tell to other players or when your using team chat. OR/AND a seperate channel for General Voice Chat.

www.rogerwilco.com www.microsoft.com (search on gamevoice) there are at LEAST 3 others, most better, but I don't know the web addresses hope this helps
    "Ignorance is the greatest evil we will ever face" . -Dr. James Cone, ca 1990 CE

Available for Weddings, Mediations, Treaties, Celebrations, and Hugs...
    Neutrals come join #neutrality on irc.funcom.com! Everyone welcome.
    Counseling available by appointment-Priestess Cathryn Ardman
    Cat's Closet

Favourite Chat Colours: 250 200 250, try it!
    I am an adventurer, of COURSE I like going camping! :P

Wink For the love of god! ;-)

Please... please if you add only one feature add a button for reply that starts the chat line with /tell and the last tell name.

If you have played a trader you know how tellbommed you can be.

There is nothing worse than hitting /r and typing in a long reply and having 15 other tells come in before you finish.

Please please give us a button for /tell (last tell sent)

=)

-Koyote

Trade Channels

I think it would be a great help to seperate the services out of the trade channels...

Create a Channel called OT-Servies 1-50, etc, so people only offering services could use those channels could use those, and those of us looking for equipment could find things easier.

I dont know how many items I have glanced past due to the flood of people offering IC and Wrangles.

Doctor Edyn
    Titan Mining

Some things I would like to see added and changed (sorry if any is a repeat);

• The ability to create, rename, edit text color and remove categories in friends list with user defined category names. For instance user could create a category for faction members by using command “/category add First-Order” which would add a new category name in friends menu with “First-Order” shown. Text color for categories could be edited by selecting the desired category in friends menu and using “/color lime”. This would make all incoming messages from names within the category, Lime colored text (or whatever color you like).

• Add function to move or remove friends from categories in friends list. Friends could be categorized by using “/add playername categoryname” command. Also you should be able to drag and drop names between categories. Deleting names should be as easy as “ctrl-pick” or “shift-drag” multiple names and using delete key.

• Add small button in friends menu to toggle on/off “online” or “offline” friends for each category or all categories at once.

• Users should be able to manage their own text color display for each channel, vicinity, faction, shout, item links etc.. using similar command as the suggested category color edit by selecting channel and using “/color colorname”.

• Add a /retell command. This should solve the problems with mistells by sending your message to the last person you sent a "/tell" to instead of the interrupted replies that we all grow tired of.

• The ability to add custom chat buttons at bottom of chat text field. Similar to quickbar macros, user could create macro shortcut for channel, category, trade channel, faction/clan, tell, reply, retell, etc and drop in slots below text field (small buttons of course). The button could be used after text field is filled to send message, or before text field entry executed by enter key.

• /squelch players from channels as an alternative to permanently ignoring user. (great idea Nalissa! )

• Access player bio by right clicking name in friends menu.

Of course the commands might not be exactly as written here but the mechanics of these features is something I envision as being feasible and very user friendly. It also gives some customizing options to those who really want to get the most out of their chat.
    -Zindel- Novice 200 Opifex MA
    -Clematis- Apprentice 180 Opifex Fixer
    -Bushwhacker- 135 Atrox Enforcer
    General of Mecenaries of Kai [TaG]

Since this thread was 4 pages long, I did not bother to read it all. I'm sure some of my ideas have already been posted, so I apologize for repeating

I would like to see a way to easily mass delete people from your friends list (or a category of it). For example a way to instantly delete all players who are no longer in the game (I actually think this should be done automatically).

I would also like to be able to delete people from my friends list based on other factors like level, profession, guild, playername and so on.

I would like to be able to type something like this:

"/command deletefriends general above lvl90 and below lvl50 except doctor and enforcer and <guildname>"

My intention with that command would be to delete all players from the general (lower) part of my friends list who are above level 90 and below level 50 except all doctors, enforcers and members of a certain guild. Funcom or others are of course free to improve the syntax in my example

The reason this is necessary is because all who send you a message is instantly added to the lower part of your friends list. I would like to have a toggle for that, as I rarely use this part of my list anyway.

Another thing I'd like to see is a command to add players to your friends list based on playername ("/command addfriend playername").

I also think the bottom part of the friends list should be sorted by online/offline status.

The last thing I can think of now that I feel needs changing is the fact that people in the top part of your friends list are moved to the bottom part if they send you an offline message (I'm sure that's not intended). Please fix this.

All I want to see is a seperate area for chat and damage spam.

There is several threads about the interface...

Do we have some check points here with the work in progress Cosmik ?
    "Donner à des millions une connaissance de l'anglais, c'est les rendre esclaves". (Hind Swarâj, ch. 18)

Originally posted by Gyson
    I’d like to see a filter option for the Shopping Channel where I could insert keywords that would only allow certain items (which I express an interest in) to show up in my chat window. This would cut down on the amount of unwanted auction text clutter within it.

For instance, if I entered there words “E-Beamer”, “Nomad” and “Driving” into my ‘shopping filter’, then only auctions with those words in their message would be displayed to me (in this example, any E-Beamer weapons, Nomad armor, or driving implants and clusters). Everything else would never clutter my chat window.

I think this would make player auctions a lot easier to deal with.
    Pardon me but isn't that what the shopping bots do already? Am I having another bonde moment? sigh
    "Ignorance is the greatest evil we will ever face" . -Dr. James Cone, ca 1990 CE

Available for Weddings, Mediations, Treaties, Celebrations, and Hugs...
    Neutrals come join #neutrality on irc.funcom.com! Everyone welcome.
    Counseling available by appointment-Priestess Cathryn Ardman
    Cat's Closet

Favourite Chat Colours: 250 200 250, try it!
    I am an adventurer, of COURSE I like going camping! :P

Shopbots are third-party 'freeware' created by players.
    "Donner à des millions une connaissance de l'anglais, c'est les rendre esclaves". (Hind Swarâj, ch. 18)

I just want to have this implemented already. Hell its been almost 2 months since the idea was introduced. Any ETA?

Text colors should be modifiable next patch. This info has been sneaked in the patch notes.
    Bad promotion / communication here.

Way off the subject here...but...

I created a new character this afternoon and spawned in Newbieland...no surprise there. What surprised me was the topics of conversation in the OT NEWBIE OOC channel...going from busting on various nations/races (and I'm not talking just making fun of either.). Sexist and other various jerks were in there.

I have a young son that also likes to play AO. And I can't be there 24/7 watching over his soldier to ask people to be polite. What ever happened to enforcing the social guidelines? I don't like censorship and I really don't believe in it. But I do believe in being socially responsible. Obviously, most of the players on RK-2 have problems with any kind of responsibility at all.

I couldn't find a specific forum to post this too, or believe me I would have. I could have petitioned but what would've been the point, its usually 20 minutes before I'd have gotten a response. At least that's how long I've been told by friends who play AO and petition.

I"m just...disturbed that such behavior could go unnoticed for quite some time. And I've seen it more than once.

Any comments would be appreciated.
    I'm not a psychologist or anything like that. I'm an observer of human nature.

Red face

OK, lots of ppl have different solutions to improving the chat.
    Would you mind it alot if mIRC stayed on IRC, and we just changed our chat a little?

What worries me is that many suggestions (demands?) posted here would take at least half the screen, or make the text to small to read unless your'e on a 30" monitor. It would be nice to be able to it would be nice to separate /tell form battle msg, but I don't think I want a separate window for each person, guild and channel.

However I'm very supportive abt the idea of scrolling through, and grouping contacts. Muting a channel would also be nice from time to time.

After all; this is an MMORPG - and not mIRC. I'd prefer if it stayed that way.

Wait...

You psycho...of course this is IRC!

:P

j/k I agree. The chat interface is okay at the moment, but could definitely be streamlined a lot more with a few extra options either in the 'friends' list, or via the F-keys..

Shopping channel

One thing I truly would love to see is the ability to watch the player sales/auctions while IN the stores. I mean - that's where I am when I'm shopping, right? Plus there are those huge, always-empty rooms in the "Trade" area of the stores - if the buyers & sellers were there, I bet the lag near the Wompahs would be greatly reduced.

The way it is now, I almost always have to turn it off in the cities because it overrides everything else, and I'm sure I miss opportunities by doing that. If I could set it instead to be on while actively SHOPPING...

I fully expect to be told this is not feasible, but its just possible no one has considered it.

Talking Chat While a Script is running

I use Scripts A LOT :

i have one IE for Shopping (/read /delay xx /scratch /delay XX etc /myshoppingscript) so i need to launch my StopScript (/nod) to be able to chat more than a 'Hi!' 'cause the running script close my chat

Same when i'm in the NightClub .. various dance in loop.. so i need to stop to be able to chat !

... so why making cool scripts if you can't use it in social ?

ps: anyone have a cool script idea ?

/scratch /delay 4000 /read /delay 6000 /scared /me just found a cool stuff to buy /delay 2000 /scratch /me don't have enough to buy it !!!! /delay 3000 /angry

/pray /w %t, can you spare some credit to buy this %1 .. it would be nice !

Chat interface

Oh, the chat interface. Or the horrible abortion that passes for a chat interface. My question is, why is there no MMORPG that features a decent chat module? Why is it that a piece of multimillion-dollar, corporate-run entertainment software cannot do what a 4-bit MUSH or MUD, usually run by collage students, can do for free? You want a good example of how chat should work, take a look at virtually any text-based MU* out there. There's hundreds of em. And perhaps, you'll get a clue.

I dont mean for this post to sound like a flame, but the abyssmal state of every single MMORPG chat interface to date really has me steamed. Its almost as if it was tacked on as an afterthought. If the grafix engine is the heart of a game, then the chat module is it's soul. Without it, the players cannot communicate with eachother, nor can the game communicate with the players. It boggles the mind to see what kind of shoddy lash-ups are currently avalable. AO is the cream of the crop in MMORPGs, it deserves the best chat interface as well.
    ++++++++++++++++++
    Swing
    199 Solitus Engeneer
    Omni-Tek, TestLive
    "It used to be that brave heroes would go out into the darkness and slay monsters. Now that we've banished the darkness, we've discovered we're all monsters."

Now that you mention it...

You're right, all the MMORPG's out there seem to have the same (or pretty close to it) type of chat interface. Why is this? Probably some obscure agreement between the companies. The first MMORPG that would come out with a MU*-Style or even an IRC-Style interface would be immediately liked more than all the other MMORPGs.

Seriously though, MMORPGs have so many...features I guess you'd call them, that they can't make everything like they would like to. image if AO had the perfect chat interface, GREAT! Of course the time they spent on that, hmm, well the graphics probably wouldn't be as good, some of the other displays probably wouldn't fit as well as they do (not saying they fit all that well anyway), etc etc. I think you get my point.

AO is a good game, all around. Ok ok, yes they've nerfed things here and there. But, My roomie has AC and DAoC..*shudders* No thank you. AO has a much...I don't really know how to say it...Nicer(?) feel to it. While some things do need some work done on them. AO is far from being the game it was when it first came out. Its muchly improved.

Re: For the love of god! ;-)

Shift-r ?

Originally posted by Koyote
    Please... please if you add only one feature add a button for reply that starts the chat line with /tell and the last tell name.

If you have played a trader you know how tellbommed you can be.

There is nothing worse than hitting /r and typing in a long reply and having 15 other tells come in before you finish.

Please please give us a button for /tell (last tell sent)

=)

-Koyote

Separate out combat/damage messages to a different window!

resizable and movable, as well, please =)

heck, just chop the existing chat window in half from top to bottom and you still have two nicely sized windows with enough vertical (now that you can resize the font) for a minimally decent number of text lines.

--

How about being able to pause the chat window, too? If you start shifting the scrollbar, stop the live updates so that it's possible to actually stare at a stationary chat screen and read text without it flying up and off the top in a blur?

--

I lost a bunch of tells, guild chat and team chat last night in a sea of:

someone attacking someone
    (unknown someone)'s damage shield hitting someone else

oh yeah, and of course --
    guards yelling at someone that they were on a death list

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast