Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Chat Interface And The Future

Seperate chat from shopping!

A friend and I were discussing this recently, and he came up with a good idea.

What he suggested might be impossible to implement, but why not have a location, for example Fair Trade, that when you enter a chat interface appears with items for sale. Or it could also be a Trade Booth, something like the Grid. Digital Trade! With respect to the interface it could be akin to a stock market billboard - but Rubi-Ka style. And what would be nice is a the shop price included with items by default (avoids having to run shop to shop to have an idea of item value).

Chat could remain as it is, without all the trade channels cluttering communication. You guys are talking about adding more windows?! ugghh...
    Last edited by Explicer; Dec 4th, 2001 at 19:49:32.

• Add ability to format custom notification messages.
      %a hits Crin for a whopping %d points of damage
      %a lay’th the smack down on you for %d nano damage

%a = attacker
      %d = damage

• Add the ability to add conditions to decide which message to display
      < 20: %a annoys you with %d points of damage
      21-100: %a cracked you for %d points of damage
      >100: You’d better start running cause %a rained down %d points of damage upon you

Also give the ability to display no message at all. That way a player could set it up so they are only notified when they take major damage.
    • Allow attaching a sound file to play when receiving certain messages. For instance you could set up the “You’ve got mail” AOL alert when someone sends you a direct tell. It would also be nice to be able to attach the sound file to one of the conditional messages mentioned above so when someone hits you REALLY hard or a buff runs out, you'll know it.

I often get distracted in battles and miss important messages. I want to use all of theses features to limit the amount of information that is displayed and to give me an audio notification when something important happens.

Its the mission distance nerf all over again!

You can never please everyone...

I think what you have suggested is overkill !

I do want to be able to resize the chat window and change the colors in it. The TAB, /g and /t stuff is nice too.

But I do not need to move the chat window anywhere. I do not want multiple windows. Most of the rest of this stuff is all tied to the multi-window thing, which will probably never be used. Most of the time none of the channels have anyone talking in them except for team and vicinity. Everyone, everywhere sells and LFGs in vicinity and that isn't going to change no matter what you do to the interface. Furthermore, if I put team and vicinity in different windows, I'm probably gonna focus on one of those and the battle, then loose track of whats going on in the other, which I definitely don't want to happen!

Please don't do what you did with the mission distance nerf and mess things up for those of us who like things the way they are! Do we have to complain loudly about things being GOOD to avoid changes that sooth the vocal minority? If you make this change, you'll have to make it backward compatible. If we want all selected chat channels in a single window anchored to the bottom of the screen that can be closed to one line when needed (screen shots), we should still have it. The backward compatibility means even more work in development and testing

Remember, the KISS principle (Keep It Simple & Sweet)(OK, so I politened that up a bit, so what). This seems like a lot of effort for very little gain! So why do it?

Please don't.
    RoboKa & RoboKaKa
    Solitus Neutral Engineer & Pet

Exclamation Chat Changes

Some changes that make sense:
    - adding /t /v /g, but there is also a need for sending messages within a guild to differnt levels (dependent on org type: board memebers, executives, members, applications, for example) so that conversation of just the higher ups (by rank) are able to converse easily.perhaps /g1 /g2 /g3 /g4 or something to that effect could be used?

- ability to nuke all people on friends list that are in the other category in one shot. i am a high level nano programmer and my list constantly gets to be rediculous and is a massive pain to clean. there should also be a listing of all guild members that are currently online (without having to add them). also the ideas of categories and auto-nuking accounts that no long exist would be nice modifications.

- multiple chat windows would be a very good change so that guild and private messages could be seperated from other stuff. it has to be easy to switch between these windows and between chat channels, somthing like CTRL-X (like in *****-x would be ideal)

- making private groups transferable, so u could pass on the group to another person in that chat, also making it so they dont die when the leader of them goes crashs :P.

- give pet dmg its own channel or include it as if it was the master doing dmg, being hit, spells expiring, spells being cast on and spells casting (can you tell im a mp yet?)

- WEB CHAT FOR RK2 (UMM HELLO FAVORTISM!!!)

fianlly the biggest improvement you could make to chat would be to improve scripting. this would be best implemented using an existing scripting language like TCL which has parsers that can be compliled into the cleint and would only need hooks to some informatin. Scripts should be able to call spells, add/remove from buddy list (which from the !cc thing it looks like they could if u could get a list of people on the buddy list.

it sounds like u guys are already on the right trail... the number of improvements made to this game after release amazes me. perhaps some of them should have been completed before it was released (arguably) but any rate, i applaud your efforts for making such great improvements.

Oralia "Nalissa" Flummer
    Spritual Leader of Clan Quizotic (RK2)
    Last edited by Nalissa; Dec 4th, 2001 at 23:49:26.

The Friends list should be included.

Hey There.

The friends list is a disaster as well and should be included in this discussion. When someone I don't know sends me a tell, the last thing I want to do is sort through 50 names on my friends list to determine if I want them added or deleted ALL THE TIME.

I would also LOVE to have those that are added STAY added and not drop to the unknown part of the list. Please have that fixed asap, it has been broken since day one.

Perhaps a very easy way to add someone to the friends list instead of having them send you a tell is to add a command line such as..../friends add <username> or /friends remove <username>, such as they have in AC. EWWW, I brought up AC..... Anway, this was VERY effective and kept our lists clean with only those we WANTED on our list.

Thanks for listening!!
    Utildai
    President
    Opposing Force

Question

Do we have any ETA for the fixes - or first part of the fixes ?
    "Donner à des millions une connaissance de l'anglais, c'est les rendre esclaves". (Hind Swarâj, ch. 18)

I think I agree with the Keep It Simple Stupid sentiments, what is needed however is an easier way to tell which channel you are on and an easier way to change channels, perhaps some small buttons should be added to the top or bottom of the chat window to toggle channels on or off, and to talk on those channels.
    As an aside it should be possible to create your own private chat channel for Player events so you don't get any back ground noise interupting, however this may be possible with just using the group command. and using the team channel.
    Perhaps an ignore command would be useful so you can choose to ignore some peoples shouts/tells/vicinity messages etc.

I think the most important thing is to be able to get rid of the spam stuff like the damage messages and such, which may be useful when fighting in a group but are just annoying and useless at other times, perhaps only be able to see damage dealt if the other players are in your group or for pvp only to people actually in the arena watching.
    I can only imagine the amount of Bandwidth you'd save by doing this as well.
    Last edited by Mescale; Dec 5th, 2001 at 11:49:26.

Arrow other commands wanted

- /whois [character] - brings up info on character. Nice when u cant target and click person.
    - /seen [character] - shows when character was last on
    - Not sure if the /ignore shows all ignored person? If not; Yes please!
    Teknolord, Rubi-Ka 1 fixer.

Re: Its the mission distance nerf all over again!

I have no problem with KISS However, I think that no matter what they do, having your current chat target listed at the top of the chat window would make things a whole heck of a lot easier. You look at the window and see Team and you know you're currently talking to your team, if it says your Guild name, you're talking to your Guild, etc.

Originally posted by RoboKa
    You can never please everyone...

I think what you have suggested is overkill !

I do want to be able to resize the chat window and change the colors in it. The TAB, /g and /t stuff is nice too.

But I do not need to move the chat window anywhere. I do not want multiple windows. Most of the rest of this stuff is all tied to the multi-window thing, which will probably never be used. Most of the time none of the channels have anyone talking in them except for team and vicinity. Everyone, everywhere sells and LFGs in vicinity and that isn't going to change no matter what you do to the interface. Furthermore, if I put team and vicinity in different windows, I'm probably gonna focus on one of those and the battle, then loose track of whats going on in the other, which I definitely don't want to happen!

Please don't do what you did with the mission distance nerf and mess things up for those of us who like things the way they are! Do we have to complain loudly about things being GOOD to avoid changes that sooth the vocal minority? If you make this change, you'll have to make it backward compatible. If we want all selected chat channels in a single window anchored to the bottom of the screen that can be closed to one line when needed (screen shots), we should still have it. The backward compatibility means even more work in development and testing

Remember, the KISS principle (Keep It Simple & Sweet)(OK, so I politened that up a bit, so what). This seems like a lot of effort for very little gain! So why do it?

Please don't.

We need more enhancements to IGNORE

I'd like to see some enhancements in the ignore commands:

The chat interface needs an /ignore <name> command. I don't see most of the people who are spamming at me so I can't ignore them. Unless its been changed recently, typing /ignore MrSpam would just ignore whoever my current target is.

It would be nice to be able to ignore people on a channel by channel basis too, perhaps with a /chignore (channel ignore) or /squelch command. There are some people I would not like to totally excommunicate that just spam entirely too much on certain channels. If I'm on the looking for group channel and some guy starts selling on there, then I would like to be able to type /squelch <name> and have it ignore him for that channel only. There are sellers that I know have very unreasonable prices that I don't need to see flooding my shopping channel since I will never be buying anything from them, but I can't ignore them completely because I may need to talk to them or group with them at some point.

I'd like to see the ignore.txt command easier to edit by hand. It doesn't hold names of people you have ignored, but only ID numbers so I can't look through it and delete old ignores that I don't need anymore. Best would be if I can add and delete lines from the ignore.txt by hand to ignore and unignore people, but at the very least I need the game to put some sort of comment after each ID number so I might know what character that represents.

I'd like to see some other ways to filter chat a bit like the ability to filter out certain types of messages with a channel-by-channel word filter. I could filter "selling", "buying", "WTS", "WTB", "wrangling", and "programming" on the seeking team channel, but still hear those on the shopping channel. I could filter "2ho", "clanners", "clan", "invading" from the shopping channel, but still hear them on the seeking team channels.

I'd like some way to filter out any message that doesn't contain an item reference in the shopping channel and any message that does (but not a person reference) in the seeking team channel.

Basically when you try to make a game with a server that holds more people than a single game world has ever held before we need a lot more tools to decrease the signal-to-noise ratio to help so we dont have to listen to every one of those 10000 people.

Re: more windows?

Originally posted by Tak
    How about creating references to the different chat channels, and adding them e.g. to the "actions" menu? .... So, e.g. I could switch to the chat bar ("shift-5") and select team chat ("2")... quite faster than opening and closing friends menu in the middle of tir lag.
    You can do that already actually. I've got buttons that switch between the shopping channel, team chat, vicinity, guild and seeking team.

Just do this:
    /macro macroname /ch channelname

And that will do it for ya.

Thumbs up I agree with sounds!!!

I would love to be able to attach sounds to tells. The ability to attach diifrent sounds to different people would be fanatastic. All of the sounds in the game are stored locally, shouldn't be too hard to implement this feature....

Re: Re: more windows?

Originally posted by zeroframerate

You can do that already actually. I've got buttons that switch between the shopping channel, team chat, vicinity, guild and seeking team.

Just do this:
    /macro macroname /ch channelname

And that will do it for ya.
    Good trick that I'm using too.

I just need 2 more shortcuts bar now : Actions + Nanos + Chat and social moves.
    "Donner à des millions une connaissance de l'anglais, c'est les rendre esclaves". (Hind Swarâj, ch. 18)

Digital Trade & shop price by default

Originally posted by Explicer

#1...Digital Trade!
    #2....shop price included with items by default
    (avoids having to run to shops for idea of item's value).
    VERY GOOD IDEAS...
    I hope funcom integrates something like this.
    «¤ W¥RM ¤»

Voice Chat

I know this would probaly be laggy and difficult to setup, but mabey in the future a voice chat feature would be nice. I wouldn't like it in a public area with a bunch of people so it should only be with /tell to other players or when your using team chat. OR/AND a seperate channel for General Voice Chat.

Talking Re: Voice Chat

Originally posted by Deadcow
    I know this would probaly be laggy and difficult to setup, but mabey in the future a voice chat feature would be nice. I wouldn't like it in a public area with a bunch of people so it should only be with /tell to other players or when your using team chat. OR/AND a seperate channel for General Voice Chat.
    yeah group chat would be cool ,)

good old aw had voice chat, whoa that sure was fun yellin and shoutin as a gunner on a bomber or coldly reportin attacks when playin a fighter on the other side ,)
    tradeskillz ?

shortcuts

OK folks heres a little secret. You don't have to type out the whole channel name when switching.

For example want to switch to vicinity type /ch v
    This will bring you to the chat channel that starts with a v.
    The only time this won't work is if you are in a guild that starts with a v.

Want to switch to your guild ie R.S.G.E. (Division 9) try /ch r
    or for MOTHER /ch m

Now the shopping channels is another story. if you typed /ch o it would get you the first one on the list

Also to add someone to your friends list try !cc addbuddy insertnamehere

Mirdok
    R.S.G.E. (Division 9) [AA/GP]
    - En Tequila Es Verdad -

One useful feature (only partially related) would be to be able to know who is online in your guild (EQ does that i'm told) without having to first add everyone to your friends list, maybe with some kind of a who command.

This would go well with any kind of organization of the friends list, say by having a guild "directory" automatically including everyone in the guild (if not all of them are your friends you'll just use your own guild-friends directory instead).

by the way judging by the amount of suggestions people make that seem to be already available through "secret" commands (undocumented rather) maybe an extensive in-game or online documentation of /commands would be very useful...

Re: shortcuts

Originally posted by Mirdok
    Also to add someone to your friends list try !cc addbuddy insertnamehere
    How the heck did you figure that one out? I gotta try that. Any other useful !cc commands? Guess I'll have to experiment!

Originally posted by Feydrutha
    One useful feature (only partially related) would be to be able to know who is online in your guild (EQ does that i'm told) without having to first add everyone to your friends list, maybe with some kind of a who command.
    /who guild to know who's in the same zone and /who guild all to know it server wide.

EQ has nice and easy filters too :

/who guild 15 60 enf

Would list all the enforcers from lvl 15 to 60 in the same zone.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast