Thread: The Inferno

Arrow The Inferno

He woke up.
    Brendan rolled over slowly, his head pounding and his chest aching. He raised himself up slowly with his arms, and then achingly brought his legs under himself, standing up woosily.
    His chest was aching.
    He tore open his shirt, and found actual, real life flesh there once again. A smile started to creep over his face as he inspected his entire body, and not a trace of his robotics were apparent.
    "Heh..." he said to himself, "It's good to cuddle the junk again."
    A lightning strike behind him made him whirl around, still holding onto his manhood with his left hand and staring wildly.
    Everywhere he saw sand. No trees, no buildings, just sand. Dunes and dunes of sand. And in the sky, angry red clouds belched spikes of electic hate upon the ground, sending sand flying up hundreds of feet into the air.
    After the shock of the strike faded, he looked around him and found his armor, as well as all of his supplies. He reached down to grab his helmet. Yanking on it, he brought it up... and a skull rolled out of it.
    His entire suit of armor was wrapped around a skeleton.
    He stopped, staring at the skull which seemed to mock him. He blinked twice, and then shrugged off the feeling of dread, telling himself that "it's my ****, why should I care if there's a skeleton in it?"
    Now wearing his gear, Brendan walked slowly across the bleak sand, all the while thinking about what he might be doing here.
    The last thing he remembers is falling asleep with an entire package of pills and a full bottle of whiskey swimming in his bloodstream, and thinking about that made him mad at himself and whatever it might be that made sure it didn't work.
    It was his life, god dammit. He could end it if he so wanted to or not. And he wanted to end it. He was going to find the sorry bastard who revived him and put a bullet or twenty in him, then finish what he started.
    When that thught crossed his mind, the entire cloud cover above him seemed to split open like an over ripe apple, dumping foul smelling rain on him in almost pint-sized raindrops. The drops bounced harmlessly off of his armor, but when they hit exposed skin they felt like beanbag shells from a riot gun.
    In the distance, he saw something... and that something struck a chord of fear in Brendan's heart.
    A humongous tower of glass in the distance, it's sides arcing the lightning off of it and flashing in dark colors... red, purple, black.
    Brendan had no choice... he walked toward it.
    ---
    -- Killchain

Inferno, Chapter 2

(OOC NOTE:
    These movies I made for this story. Take a peek at em, if you like them or the idea please post and say so. I had a lot of fun making this one and would gladly play the entire story out like this. Let me hear some opinions!
    However, the movie IS grainy, that's because of the combined text overlay, music, and video content, if crystal clear, would bloat this file to almost 400MB! So, I had to make cuts. I hope it still conveys the idea, though.)

The Inferno, Chapter 2

High Bandwidth (DSL + ) version (15510259 bytes):
    http://gaernin.aswwc.net/~archetype/inferno_high.zip
    Low Bandwidth (Dial-up, ISDN) version (6023780 bytes):
    http://gaernin.aswwc.net/~archetype/inferno_low.zip

(Changes were descriptions on bandwidth.)
    Last edited by Killchain; Mar 15th, 2004 at 21:21:20.
    -- Killchain

((Hey man, good work, I'd love to see more like this))
    "Chariots strong, horses fast, troops valiant, weapons sharp--so that when they hear the drums beat the attack they are happy, and when they hear the gongs sound the retirement they are enraged.He who is like this is strong."
    -Chang Yu ,author of a commentary of Sun Tzu's 'The Thirteen Chapters'

((We spoke about this already, but thought i´d post my two thumbs up here anyway. ))
    "On the frontlines, there is but one commandment...
    Thou Shalt Kill."

"As i stride knee deep through the dead, all is clear. I know what must be done...
    My cause is just...My will is strong...
    ...And my gun is very, very large!"
    The words of a true soldier.

Chapter 3

He didn't tell her, it wasn't his place.
    The shower water cascaded off of his body, well, his body if he could stake claim to it.
    The Representative began the ritual washing, under the arms, the face and chest... recognizing the entire time the scars this man harbored, the wounds and jagged holes and pock marks all over his flesh. This man had been through a lot and had a leather hide to show for it.
    A good thing, though, is that the skin was growing back over the subdermal plating... resuming the humanity of the body The Representative was harboring.
    The Representative... what a quaint name, it thought as it proceeded in the machinisitic washing of the body. She called him that and it seemed a fitting name. He smiled. He knew he was programmed to feel this way but still... it was nice to pretend he wasn't.
    He didn't tell her about the REAL owner and controller of this body, who was locked in a battle of his own mind, sealed deep in the chassis of the war machine that stood in the shower in The Representative. Didn't tell her about the raging subsconscious activity the brain was going through, almost as if the man inside had suffered a horrible trauma and had to fight his own demons to win.
    She would want him returned. And The Representative would honor it...
    Because, just like the man in the war machine, The Representative loved her.
    He stopped the water, stepped out of the shower and stood naked in front of a mirror... and saw Brendan Nygaard staring back at him. He turned and walked away.
    -- Killchain

The door to the glass tower slammed behind him with a resounding boom, sealing him in choking blackness and silence.
    His hand drifted to the side of his helmet and activated the ultraviolet sensor. A small dark red light blinked alive in the center of his helmet, and the special visor displayed the dark room in an almost-day light from the ultraviolet.

The room's walls were coated in rust and decay, and what seemed to be wallpaper peeling from the walls. His suit's external air filters registered high amounts of airborne bacteria and fungus.

Brendan unshouldered his rifle, charged and cocked it. He walked slowly through the passageway before him, glancing around and turning every once in a while.

He came to a four-way intersection, each of the other three paths just as dingy, cold and dark as the other. He began to walk forward, straight forward... walking slowly and keeping his rifle steady.

He heard a snuffling like a pig. Quick, dirty.

He whirled around, his rifle at the ready. Quickly and quietly he slipped up against the wall, his weapon at the ready.

A small figure walked into the intersection, and turned around as if to scan the surrounding area. As he focused the light upon the figure, Brendan realized the small figure was in fact a child.

Brendan stepped forward slowly. "Hey... you al-"

The child shreiked, and brandished a small shiv from somewhere. The shiv pierced through Brendan's left thigh, and as the shiv was drawn back out with a sickening sucking sound a gout of blood spewed from the wound like ketchup from a bottle.

Brendan grunted and fell back against the wall, but screamed lowly as the child sunk the shiv a second time into his right shoulder. The shiv jarred off the bone with a horrible resonating ka-thunk inside of his body, and was quickly pulled out again, making the same sucking sound.

Brendan whipped his rifle across his body, body checking the child and sending the small figure flying up against the opposite wall. With a wet thump the child slid down the wall and lay in a crumpled heap, not moving.

Brendan stood up, his thigh and shoulder bleeding and aching. He limped over to the crumpled child, and stood over it, growling as he applied pressure to his thigh.

A sharp, ripping pain from his left shin revealed the child latched on his leg, gnawing through his armor and flaying the skin from his leg with it's mouth.

Brendan reared up with his right foot, and planted it squarely into the middle of the child's neck. He heard and felt a sickening snap, and watched the child's body go limp. Stepping away from the child, he raised his rifle and prepared to fire.

The head of the child rotated on the broken neck, the neck making cracking and snapping noises, and the now backwards head of the child snarled and shreiked as the rest of the body raised itself up off of the ground.

Brendan stared in awe. "What the fu-"

He stopped in mid-sentence, and heard more snuffling noises. Lots of them.

The child shrieked again, and seemed to walk forward with a backwards head, running into the wall and landing squarely on it's backside.

Brendan turned from the now-confused child and began to limp down the forward pathway, his leg and shoulder on fire. His left boot was becoming slick inside with the running blood from the flayed flesh on his shin.

He glanced over his shoulder, and his targeting system in his helmet picked up 13, no, 21, no, 45, no 68... no... more... and more... children.

And they were chasing him.

He started to run as best as he could, his right leg dragging slightly from the pain. He could almost feel the heat of the demon children's breath on his neck, the cold, pallid flesh of their hands around his throat, the warm, evil saliva dripping on his neck, the sharp, thin fingers tearing into his innards, the dull tearing of their teeth on his heart.

Brendan ran up some stairs, to a room with a spinning horizontal pillar over a what looks to be bottomless pit. On the other side of the pit was a door. A plain, white door with an old-world style doorknob.

Brendan stepped on the pillar, trying to keep his balance and move fast. The pillar rotated slowly under his feet, causing him to catch his balance every two seconds or so. The snuffling became hurried and close, and Brendan hurried his step.

He slipped.

He landed on the pillar with his legs straddled over each side, crushing his manhood under his weight. He roared with pain, and crumpled forward... and slipped off the side. His hands darted to the pole and caught, but slipped off from the rotation. Brendan disappeared into the pit.
    ---
    -- Killchain

He woke up.
    Children surrounded him, children with red eyes and cold breath.
    They wanted to touch him, and they did.
    He could feel his essence, his soul being sucked away into their cold embraces.
    He screamed and crawled away.
    But not fast enough.
    Every grip stole a memory, a feeling. Everything that makes a man.
    Brendan blacked out surrounded by shadowed children that feasted on his being.
    -- Killchain

http://gaernin.aswwc.net/~archetype/...hatsMyName.zip 25MB

(Little bit of music to play out Killchain's life. Hope you like it.)
    -- Killchain