Thread: Wasteland Plague

Wasteland Plague

Wasteland Plague
    Gaillegro

Perpetual Wastelands -- (OTPC) -- Rumours began to spread recently among Omni-Tek soldiers after several of those serving in the northern parts of Rubi-Ka were reported missing; soft whispers speak of a"Wasteland Plague" that mutates soldiers. A search and rescue party was gathered early this week and returned with reports of horrifying sights. Omni-Tek Corporation blames the Clans for stealing the cure for this plague.

A couple of days later yet another team of Omni-Tek soldiers were reported missing in Mort. The last words from the missing team were "mantis…the wind…mutants!" before the comlink went dead. A small squad from the organisation Omni-Pol was hastily recruited and ordered to search and rescue. None of the persons involved in this mission have been available for a comment. The Omni-Tek Press Corps have learned that the team was sent to Mort to capture a genetically-manipulated mantis, but the beast had disappeared when they arrived.

In light of the ensuing investigation, Omni-Tek has accused the Clans of stealing the mantis from one of their research facilities and setting it loose. These accusations are frowned upon by the Clans. "Omni-Tek kept the mantis for their own benefit.", an anonymous Clan member roared. "It's just like the Omni-Tek to blame the Clans when the most likely explanation is that it simply escaped."

Another large squad was assembled from Omni-1 the next day. A Captain from Omni-Pol led the squad of professional soldiers and volunteers, who were dropped off in the Perpetual Wastelands. He informed them that the mantis had been located and that they needed reinforcements to get inside the hive to find and terminate it.

Two teams were recruited. Ward "Wisewise" Kenley led the team from Omni-Pol and Undying "Dragons" Spirit, unit leader with the Omni-Tek department Aurora, led the team of volunteers. The shadows were starting to grow and the wind hammered mercilessly on weapons and armours, but inspiring words from the leaders and loyalty to Omni-Tek kept the troops together.

When asked why Omni-Pol risked an entire team of high-ranking officers on this vague mission, Wisewise responded without hesitation, "We were given all the information that we needed to hear. We are here to serve Omni-Tek!"

Dr. "Kimarzt" Kimiko and Kiyoko "Khuri" Cervenak were asked if they knew anything about the Wasteland Plague, but had no comment to these rumours, or the rumours of mutated soldiers.

After a short briefing about the location, the teams put on their battle gear and stormed the entrance of the Mantis Hive in search for the Mantis King. The fight was hard, and Kiyoko ''Khuri'' Cervenak was killed at the entrance to the Hive. The fight against the Mantis King lasted for several minutes, but the teams managed to kill the beast. The situation was still extremely hostile and shortly after the King's death-keen had echoed off the cavern walls the hive awakened and the teams were forced to retreat by a horde of mantises. Once outside, the final count of casualties was brought to seven.

The captain declared the mission a success. "Now I am proud to serve among such great citizens!" he told the troops before departing back to Omni-1. Dragons congratulated his team members: "We were overpowered by the last wave of attackers and I did all my best to keep the team alive but my efforts were not enough. However, we would never have gotten to the Hive if we had not the support of great doctors such as Kimarzt and Khuri."

The last known source of a cure for the Wasteland Plague seems to be lost because of the Clans. However, Omni-Med has reported that they have secured tissue and blood samples from the infected dead soldiers and the Mantis King, and that these samples will be used in their research for a cure. Omni-Admin has also stated that they won't deny the possibility that Omni-Med might need more help from Omni-Tek employees in the future.

I'm not clear how this plague relates to the mantis. Is the mantis the source of the plague?

I believe the information to establish a connecton between the plague and the mantis was gathered from the last communication from the soldiers.

Of course, if these two events are not related - and I see there is a chance of doubt, based on the information I have seen here - then the plague still rolls on.

Some noob with a plan to

1. Steal thongs
    2. ?????
    3. Dance!

(And why can't I use my proper name of "Cosmik"? OMGORZ! Nerf!!)

My words are found at n3rfed

If I remember correctly, the mantis that was stolen from the Omni-Tek labs was actually a test subject, which was purposely infected with the virus and then used for research into developing a vaccine.

Naturally, those greedy little clanners had to break in to Omni-Tek property and let the critter loose in an attempt to (yet again) steal Omni-Tek technology.

I suppose rather than having Omni finding a vaccine clanners think its better there werent no vaccine....

The average clanner: Umm you say Omni doing some research in that facility?? Errrmm..... Ehhhh.... Hmmm Must be some EVIL sorta stuff going on down there then.. Lets go in there and steal it!! Or atleast smash the place up!! Long live freedom....or whatever.

"This is not a quote incase some thought so"

Help us, help you.
    Join Omni Tech not for yourself but for the greater good.
    Proud agent of the Disciples of Omni-Tek

Commissioner of the RKDC

"One should not lose one's temper unless one is certain of getting more and more angry to the end."
    William Butler Yeats

Well Omnis' aren't the brightest buch of beings to grace the face of this planet. I think that the mantis more than likely just escaped from it's captivity and took to the wilds. You can't blame everything on the Clans. I know you try, but we don't do everything evil around here. It could even be an inside job within your own ranks. Omni loses a lot of it's own due to the fact that they don't really care about anything other than, "Progress for the Corporation." Look at yourselves before you point that finger at the Clans. I may not like Omni all that much, but I am not blaming everything on you. The bug got lose, you killed it. Done.
    Most people see what they want to see... with their eyes closed.

I'd be interested in seeing the evidence supporting these claims that "the clans" stole the mantis and set it free. I see no evicence whatesoever, no mention of actual evidence, nor even the specific name of the clan or clans involved in the incedent. Sounds to me like the lab staff screwed up and let the thing escape, and they're looking for a scapegoat to take the heat for them.

In any case, best of luck to the doctors and scientists working on a cure for this plague. I hope you find it soon.
    Delia "Aerinyi" Jett
    General of Whisper's Edge
    Atlantean

My thanks go out to Omni-Pol and the citizen volunteers; their commitment and sacrifices are a shining example of the type of loyalty that makes our Corporation so strong. I have complete faith that Omni-Med will be able to find a cure to this horrible disease, but in the mean time, I advise all Omni-Tek employees to avoid the area of Mort.
    Zack "Eternalforce" Craddock
    Professional soldier of fortune.
    Quote Originally Posted by dustynova
    ahhh Ao where the men are boys the women are men and the leets are very very nervous.