Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Athens Restoration Project

Athens Restoration Project

A few months ago Sallust Advisor to the Clan Pilgrims and Aurust Advisor to Clan Veritas, did a great deal to get the Restoration of Athens going, it is now time to keep that moving.

Last night During a speech By Some of the CoT Clerical staff in Athens this matter was brought up by many, the sever lack of security within this the second largest clan city and the ruins which are strewn around the city.

I feel it is time we continued the great Work Sallust and Aurust have done and make Athens a Shining Example of a free Clan Metropolis.

Below is a short brief i have taken together. I ask all Clan people and citizens of Athens in Particular to voice their opinion on this and how we can start work on this as soon as possible..

Here is a quick summary off what would need to be done. Id like your opinions on it..

Rebuilding Athens..

Goals.

To have the destroyed parts of Athens rebuild or repaired.

To have the security of the city strengthened both to combat crime within the city

And to defend the Citizens of Athens against outside attacks.

A Council should be formed or voted on that will guide the restoration and work towards rebuilding the city. The council should swear Athens to obey the mandates of the Reformed CoT

Step one.

To have the basic infrastucture of Athens surveyed and coherent plans for rebuilding drawn up.

Step Two

based on cost estimates for the rebuilding to begin soliciting funds for the project.

Potential donors – fund raising – Donations from Independent clans. – Grants from the Council of Truth.

Current Funds ?

Step Three Repairs to Infrastructure.

Before the cities blasted areas can be restored basic Utilites Electricity water and heat will have to be restored.

Step Four. Increase in Security and Civic Defenses.

As it is Athens is very lightly defended with only a few underpaid clan guards at its most vital locations.

Those guards already in place should be given a pay increase their weaponry updated and new guards recruited.

Step Five. Demolition and Rebuilding.

Those areas too damaged to be repaired should be demolished and the areas opened up for redevelopment based on plans drawn up by the clans Engineering community.

As much as possible this should be geared towards private enterprizes as a way for Athens to raise further funds for the restoration.

Step Six Continued development of Athens.

Extending the basic Utility infrasturcture to provide Medical services and basic schools.
    Sonny "Ramid" Bichrest

President Vox Populi
    Guild website
    http://www.bbfun.com/index.php?mforum=vox

Well, you know I will continue. It was extremely difficult to persue those goals previously due to many unexpected attacks and breakdowns. But, as you see, the guards we now have protectings do about as much as they are paid. Which, unfortunately, is not much. I understand that we also have the reformation of the Council of Truth on our plates at the moment as well. But I believe that there are many of you that could play a vital role in the restoration of our great city.
    Aurust-MA

"I make an indifferent difference. I make it a point of being pointless."

Yes, let`s not let this cause be forgotten. Athens is one of our most important cities, and it is in need of a makeover and cleaning up.

I'd love to see the place cleaned up a bit, any idea how much this project is going to cost?

Memories

It was during a Freedom Assemby Meeting in May 9th of 29476 that I proposed the rebuilding of Old Athen. Back then the FA was meant to do that which the CoT obviously lacked, action. Unfortunally the FA failed, since Devrel was arrested by Omni-Pol months after, to never be seen again.

Here is a part of the logged meeting of that day:

01:15: Windguaerd: CoT has ignored the east side of Athen....since the last war it's in ruins...and make the city weaker....from a defensive stand and merchants can't set up there either.
    01:16: Windguaerd: If we raise funds to rebuild Athen...we WILL raise morale.

01:16: Beezy nods
    01:17: Windguaerd: And from a military point of view...the city could be stronger, more room for guards quarters...we can get more guards...makes sense.
    01:17: Windguaerd: And perhpahs a few shops or places for clanners to relax.

01:17: Thyme really likes this idea .
    01:17: Windguaerd: I'm a military man...but every I go off duty.
    01:17: Phikia: Which was to be my point.....What exactly does FA trepresent, does FA represent the collective body of the clan and is there a mission statment which embodies the objectives of our geater citizenry?...Have non-military solutions been sought such as economic warfare ? or do we have but one agenda ..conflict?
    01:18: Phikia: Pardon my speaking out of line, but I had to ask these qustions
    01:18: Windguaerd: CoT won't like FA doing certain things...but hell, we need results.
    01:18: Devrel: Very well Windguaerd. But I do hope that you realize that the Council will resist such efforts.
    01:18: Windguaerd: Not that I trust you Mr. Devrel, but get us results, and you in turn shall get suport.
    01:18: Kalannar: May I please?
    01:18: Windguaerd: A fair trade.
    01:19: Devrel: You misunderstand. I am not out to win your trust, or you admiration. I am not here to be your buddy. I am here to try to help you all unify somewhat. I gain nothing from this, other than seeing the Clans do well.
    01:20: Devrel: The restoration of Athen is a good idea. But do not think I need to see it succed to win your support.
    01:20: Windguaerd: Unity needs a center of point, FA so far is centered on you, even if you make no opinion or vote. Welcome to politics, just as bloody as military efforts.
    01:21: Windguaerd: The point is, it needs to be done, I propose we do it, there are enough clans here to raise the funds.

01:21: Devrel: Do not lecture me on politics and war, do not think you have anything to offer me on those subjects.
    01:21: Kalannar: May I please?
    01:21: Zensia: thanks for your support Wind.
    01:21: Devrel: Ys, Kalannar, please.
    01:21: Windguaerd: I do not give lectures, I only teach those who come to me.
    01:22: Devrel: Kalannar has the floor.
    01:22: Windguaerd leans back
    01:22: Kalannar: I support Wind on this idea. The restoration of Athens to its once former glory will bring trade and economy back to this city
    01:22: Windguaerd nods to Major Twinfootwo
    01:22: Kalannar: I do not see why on earth the CoT would resist such an effort
    01:23: Uprising: lack of funds? manpower?
    01:23: Kalannar: Atens, and the lands just outside...has laid in ruins for far to long
    01:23: Thyme raises her hand.
    01:23: Kalannar: I would be willing to support the effort myself if I had to
    01:23: Devrel nods to Kalannar
    01:23: Valaik is back
    01:23: Kalannar: I am willing to head this project up sir
    01:23: Devrel: Duly noted.
    01:24: Kalannar: I see it as a good step for us..for the clan..and for the citizens of Athens
    01:24: Kalannar: and I would ask anyone here..to join me in this effort
    01:24: Kalannar: I am willing to donate 2 million creds..right now..to beging this effort
    01:25: Kalannar: *begin
    01:25: Thyme: If I may..
    01:25: Kalannar: of course
    01:25: Devrel: Thyme?
    01:26: Thyme: I have many partys and plan them for people as well. Everyone WANTS to give to a charity. but there are none that actually stand for anything. This, I think would work wonders for morale, Id like to be a part of this.. Big time.
    01:26: Amoq wonders if there is a spy present
    01:27: Thyme: Would be a great start to us working together!
    01:27: Windguaerd: I must say that the only way I think we can do this financially...and hold the shocked expressions...is to raise at least 300 Million, and give it to Mr. Devrel to make the arragements through his business.
    01:27: Devrel: Very well. Are there any nominations for a project leader to study the viability of this?
    01:27: Phikia: Has anyone investigated the cost of resoration versus building a new Great Society from Scratch?
    01:28: Phikia: Why 300 Million?...where does that estimae come from?
    01:28: Ensignm: I like to add something
    01:28: Devrel: Ensignm?
    01:28: Calautica request the floor
    01:28: Darktidexxx shouts: I think Commander Winguaerd should lead such an effort as it is his idea and he has already been planning things out
    01:29: Ensignm: We are talking about the FA as if there's already such a thing there's not!...
    01:29: Phikia: HERE HERE!...
    01:29: Windguaerd: A rouch estimate, we're talking buildings, streets...some demolition required, building materials, hired workers, 300 is a rough assesment.
    01:29: Ensignm: let's first make one then talk about what to do.
    01:29: Phikia: Excellent
    01:30: Phikia: But Again I PLEAD for a response to the question of who or what does FA represent and in what official capacity
    01:30: Windguaerd: Restoration is not viable, only rebuilding is from what I can see, and Athen is my home, I've looked at the ruins for a long time.
    01:30: Ensignm: 3305 Local will not commit resources to a shaddy committee with no real power.
    01:30: Phikia nods to windguard
    01:30: Devrel: Very well. Ensignm. You mentioned a charter
    01:30: Kalannar: I disagree..why is it we need to make a charter..to make a 'club' to belong to..its not necessary..we as clans dont need to be affiliated with anything official to make things happen
    01:31: Taranicole: one person at a time please
    01:31: Phikia: All a free & democratic society IS is a BIG CLUB in effect
    01:31: Ensignm: We already have a CCL Kalanhar, we don't need another.
    01:31: Kalannar: Agreed
    01:31: Calautica mumbles about respecting the floor
    01:31: Ensignm: We need an organization that can lead the people!
    01:31: Nursebetti agrees
    01:32: Ensignm: That can only be done with a clear and solid charter.
    01:32: Kalannar: then perhaps a simple charter for this effort then
    01:32: Ensignm: No, we need an organization who can step in if the CoT will crumble under it's own indecision.
    01:33: Zensia: I would be in support of a well written FA Charter to be signed by full member guilds. I would like to see the FA open to all clan guilds, even those who do not sign the charter however.
    01:33: Ensignm: and the CoT will crumble we all see the first signs
    01:34: Ensignm: Let's bring unity to the clans it's long overdue.
    01:34: Windguaerd: Lets make it clear. Not all trust Devrel. And not all know if they are willing to support or participate in FA, it requires an amount of commitment. Since my proposal is non-military, I think we should take on this first united effort, see how well we work together, and based on the results...we take it from there.
    I intend to once again bring up my proposal, this time to the new Council of Truth at the first opportunity possible.

[OOC] I started this idea back in 2002 in the Atlantean Server, tried it again in 2003, but then I got word (from an official source) that FC had no plans to redo OA, later on I saw my idea resurface in Rimor. I was happy, and thought that maybe with my idea being proposed at both servers it could make FC consider the rebuilding of Athen. Right now with both servers trying hard to build a player-run Council of Truth, perhaps the proposal can be brought up by both Clerical Staff teams (as there are two separate groups, two servers) to the respective CoT representatives.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

I fully agree the rebuilding of Athens should be done under the au****es of the CoT but i also think that the ground work needs to start now.

If we can galvanize the positive feeling that the clans have towards the CoT into such a project as rebuilding Athens i think it will stand as a powerful token of the councils aim to become a power for progress and prosperity..

(ooc i have spoken with Redstalker concernig this and he will be bringing it up within the clerical staff as well )
    Sonny "Ramid" Bichrest

President Vox Populi
    Guild website
    http://www.bbfun.com/index.php?mforum=vox

As many know I have been gone for a while, some even feared me dead. However I am not, and am quite proud to return and see that this great work has been carried on.

I personally support this endeavor 100%. I will speak with my Clan and the new Council of Truth members to gather as much clan support as possible.

With the Sentinel hostility in leaving the Council building closed to public access by Council members I also believe it would be a good idea to move as many functions to Old Athen as necessary for the Council of Truth.

I propose that we hold a new rally to draw Council of Truth support to Old Athen. What say you Clan leaders who would drive a future for the Clans?
    Clan Elder of The Pilgrims

As a very new memeber of the clans, that Old Athen has not been cleaned up before now does surprise me. With Tir very much the Sentinals home and many clanners living in OA, I thought something would have been done before now.

I will be glad to lend what help I can, to rebuild and create a better Old Athen for all clanners.

Ysa.
    Sable "Ysabelle" Winter, Adventurer & member of Ascension.

Ill donate 100m to open up the waterways from OA to the dock by WA. This has nothing to do with our um..shipments. *puffs cigar
    Sturmie "Sturmfaust" Smalls, 220 Enforcer. (Totally the Enforcer on Ninj00's Billboard)
    The Syndicate Join the Family.

First Enforcer on Rimor to declare war on Romania as a whole, not because of their beliefs, but simply because they're different.

Please do so I hope to see Omni 2 restored to its' former glory before we reclaim it.
    Meldaeyn
    220 Omni Meta-Physicist on Rimor
    As long as the enemies of the corporation still draw breath, there can be no peace.

Meldaeyn you will never retake the city all you have done is lost land since the war began and now we have a foothold we can now think of rebuilding cities.

Donateing 20mill from my personal funds.

Also on demolition all you need is a few holo projectors with some omni characters being projected from them hand sturmfaust a sledgehammer and get him drunk, I promise you in under 20 mins everything will be leveled to the ground.

Also Sturm I'm going to have to ask if you have autherization for those "Shipments" you are sending.

A few Goals I think we should do for OA seeing it is also now our doorway to jobe makeing it almost as important as Tir now we need to upgrade defense, the new vanguards are a good start but we need more defenses at West and East gate maybe say 2-4 automated defense cannons at each location, senteries at Jobe whom pa would be nice with several automated defenses there seeing there easier to maintain and then we can place the much needed guards at more important key locations. The grid needs several more guards there seeing omni can go to and from there easy.

ok now goals to help the population
    -street signs = you may laugh but when you are new to OA it is a large imposeing place.
    -Reconstrucion of damaged portion of OA= most of the east side was severaly dmged in the fighting and is not able to be lived in.
    -OA entertainment= there is no fun things to attact people to OA our 2 best bars are The Cup a java cafe and The happy rebel isn't a place for large ammount of people or anything important except a few small meetings.
    -OA hill= remake it with terminals on all sides so we don't have lines and make maybe a few venders will set up shop there.
    -OA attractions= every where you look there are bars and fight clubs but hardly anywhere do you see any soothing areas backyards are entertaining deversions but I think part of the renovation should be to make a place were the more peacefull orinted people could gather and sit and talk out in the sun in a nice area without a leet stealing our drinks every time we set it down. So maybe a garden/park or a zoo (all those creatures that we all freaked out about when we saw them the very first time) would work to bring more people into athens so they can relax and even forget about the war for just a few moments so there minds can relax and bodies recover, just a sugestion though.

Well if you need some Extra hands to help I am willing to grab a sledge and knock down a few omni propaganda in the streets of our butiful city.

On a side note the security at West Athens should be upgraded as well there are only 6 gate guards and with only 2 at each gate there isn't much defense there to protect the new comers to Rubika and enhance the prisons defense there also.
    There is no mercy like Darkkmercy.

As a proud member of omni corp I would love too see see the clans rebuild omni2 or athens if you prefer but I doubt that will ever happen as it would take away from the clan's bombing an other terrorist activities the new CoT is tring to set up.

After all it takes effort to rebuild somthing an none at all to set off a bomb somewhere.

ohh so that is the reason omni fires volleys of gunfire into unarmed miners rather then makeing conditions better for them cause it is cheaper and more efficient? and last time I checked omni was the terriost seeing all you do is hit and runs and even though you have 80% of the advantages in game you still are getting your butts kicked. Does it really matter what you say cause its just a matter of time before we take this planet from you and control the notum and its your faults the aliens comeing cause you opened a portal to shadow lands. So we are at the edge of armagedon and its your fault thanks I hope a lander runs you down.
    There is no mercy like Darkkmercy.

Originally posted by cudayne
    As a proud member of omni corp I would love too see see the clans rebuild omni2 or athens if you prefer but I doubt that will ever happen
    Then stop on by and say hello to the new Vanguard Clan guards.

Then tell us if you doubt the Clans anymore.
    Clan Elder of The Pilgrims

Thumbs up Power to the Clans, Omni will FALL

Not only can rebuilding Old Athens bring more quaters space to guards or other various reasons. It can boost moral to clanners, to show we can change the past and improve to a better living future.

On the side note, I think we should take down spots that represent omni. For say the two statues to lead to West Athens. I think someone that says more "Clan Pride" should be set up. Not something you see a dim-lighted omni Trade and such.
    Last edited by Naiddean; Apr 28th, 2004 at 07:21:07.
    Katelin "Naiddean" Phare : Retired General of Angels of the Night
    Visit ourMessage Boards
    Teddy Bears have been nerfed
    The New and Improved AoTN HQ

Omni-2 my pasty white nanomage butt...

One only needs to recall the tenaciousness that was the ancient state of Israel in a historical context to see how the struggle between Clan and Omni has evolved.

On old Earth, the state of Israel was born in fire and blood from their original homeland, created by the emigres, cast-outs and hunted peoples from all over the globe in response to their needs for their own security and want of a better life for their peoples. So doggedly did they hold it, that the combined might of powers much greater than they and even greater backers could not defeat their spirit and their new home, and hold it they did more than once against stronger and stronger foes. Can you not see the parallel?

The incorporated wage slaves that are Omni-Tek employees are given EVERY advantage this world has to offer, and yet you STILL cannot defeat Clan. Why is that? Simple. For every one of us your military grinds under the jackboot of your oppression, two rise from the dust. For every wrong perpetrated upon us, two rights by Clan are seen to be done by all. You have the better weapons, the better armor, the resources of an entire galaxy; the means to the end that you still claim is inevitable, namely the destruction of Clan. Ha. Fools. One can destroy a man, but one cannot destroy an ideal. Do you not read your history?

Such is the spirit of Clan. Never for one moment think that your lifeless, bloodless, mechanical horror monolith that is Omni-Tek can ever destroy the love of freedom and the rights of all of mankind that embodies the Clan ethos. Surrounded as we are from all sides, we hold onto what is ours by might and by right!

REBUILD OLD ATHEN FOR THE GLORY OF CLAN!
    -----------------------------------
    The few, the proud...the Traders.

Maartens - 220 Mogul and former gadfly of Rimor. Now I'm just a major n00b.

In defeat, malice. In victory, revenge!

I almost didnt even bother to reply to this but since I actually in a sick sick way was kind of amused by your laughable All-Hail-The-Clans speach I think I must.
    When will you stop clinging to your unjust cause with nothing else to say than ugly comments on OmniTek. Many Omni`s have supported your restoration project including myself. So why must you start with that nonsense?
    And please....Please dont make me look upon you as I look upon the old histories from earth. In particular nations as the one you so foolishly compare the clans to. Most clanners, I hope, wouldnt touch the methods used by nations as those in the old.

When will people start calling the other sides "the evil side". There are actually possible to wage war without having only "evil" people on one of the sides. We in Omni Tek are people. And like you, the clanners, we dont perceive ourselfs as evil. And we are not, and I must sadly precise this again, at all brainwashed or clones. Yes there are evil Omni Tek citizens. There are evil clanners also. Even the neutrals have theyre black sheeps.

And remember that when you talk about our ideals you should ask yourself this.... Is this only my clans ideal or are there two-or three clans agreeing over this?
    Recent CoT events should perhaps be a pointer on what is Clan ideals? Allthough we all know the majority of clanners dont support killing every Omni and Neutral on sight, thats the ideal the vote landed on isnt it?

Just get your restoration project done. Personally Ive lost the interest.

Thank you.
    Proud agent of the Disciples of Omni-Tek

Commissioner of the RKDC

"One should not lose one's temper unless one is certain of getting more and more angry to the end."
    William Butler Yeats

Funny you should take just that little history tidbit as a comparison joshuacrime, because just like that little states goverment, some Clan people and even entire Clans are so ingrated by the "We were opressed, we do nought but right, we have the right!" mentality that they became just as bad as those they were fighting, and some times even worse.

You do realise that your much beloved Commander Athen and his men did have both POW´s and captured non-combatant OT personel shot or beaten after the city was captured, right?
    "On the frontlines, there is but one commandment...
    Thou Shalt Kill."

"As i stride knee deep through the dead, all is clear. I know what must be done...
    My cause is just...My will is strong...
    ...And my gun is very, very large!"
    The words of a true soldier.

Neither of us personally started this war...

...so in retrospect, I am not saying that you personally are evil, nor anyone else by mere association of an evil organization. I know there are good Omni-Tek people and evil dishonorable Clanners.

However, be that as it may, Clan did not create a juggernaut corporation that plunders whole galaxies, creates slave races to do the work that Homo Omniwankus couldn't see fit to do themselves, and then push them into conditions so horrid and dangerous that they had no choice but to rebel. Clan is a reactionary political organization that knew that they had to organize or be crushed individually for daring to place human rights against the profit potential. Die on your feet or die on your knees.

Not to mention the mutants. Create mutated THINGS that should not be in your labaratories because you were just being "enlightened" scientists and then just leave them out into the world? We are happy that the Mutants took a big chunk out of the territory to the south in Rubi-Ka. Too bad they probably just want to kill all of us.

The Cyborg Menace? Those hideous beasts we call the Notum Soldier, the Diamondine Soldier and the Fire Soldier? No longer human anymore, are they? What exactly are they (besides nice repositories for our brave Clan soldiers to upgrade their arsenals with)? I bet they don't even know anymore.

Do we also forget your siding with the Unredeemed in the Shadowlands? The Corporation saw in them a like-minded ally, a group so power hungry, amoral and callous that you barely had to shift agendas to fit them into your grand picture of domination and subjugation. Now I don't know about you, but reading old mythology about "angels and devils" kind of shows me that you Omni's are on the side of the Devil. And you don't make deals with the Devil and then say you were only kidding. No one believes that, too many others have tried before you.

In the end, it's all about actions. My historical comparison was just that. It does not fit perfectly with our current political situation but there are parallels, and my comparison was to show how one cornered entity can survive against formidable odds and come out successful in the end (as Israel clearly had back on old Earth days). The cost is rarely ever worth it, but who started the unrest on Rubi-Ka in the first place? Certainly not the Clanners, it didn't exist when the seeds of this conflict began.

No, it is the big black beast known as Omni-Tek. The corporation that swallows worlds, plunders riches and destroys lives as easily as writing down a monthly budget. And without caring a cuss for anyone that might be in the way of your domination of everything. Trample all in the name of the bottom line, the profit margin the determining factor of who lives and who dies unless they are wearing that shiny corporate badge that shows all that you too are joined with the rampaging beast.

If you cannot see how evil this is, then you, my worthy adversary, are already lost.

And for POW's and "non-combatants" being beaten or shot...

Well, if one goes by the Omni-Tek news organizations, I'm sure that Clan is responsible for all of the foul weather, the rampant killing that goes on by the REAL terrorist organizations, and all sorts of other maladies befalling the planet. I am quite certain that a bit of propaganda is at work here.

If indeed there was some kind of abuse of prisoners, then all we can say is that it should not have happened at all and those responsible should have been punished by US, not by you, since we do not recognize your authority any longer.

However, I'm willing to bet that these things you are speaking of are merely incidents of stay behind agents provacateur and espionage being executed as spies and not soldiers and civilians. Your propaganda machines were at work here, I am betting, and usually this kind of deed is a propaganda coup for the side it is perpetuated against.

Once again, I shall refer to a very memorable historical event to see how propaganda shapes our thinking about events that have little to do with the truth.

If one looks back through the old reels of news on old Earth, one might see a particularly brutal scene of bedlam and chaos in a place called Ho Chi Mihn City, Vietnam (formerly Saigon). In this reel, one can see the national police director Nguyen Ngoc Loan take out a pistol, and in front of a stunned group of Western journalists, fires a single round point blank into a bound prisoners head, leaving him to die on the street with a gushing head wound.

The scene shocked the entire world and was used over and over again by propagandists to show the utter brutality of the Western powers against the North Vietnamese insurgents (Viet Cong). Much was learned from this video shot, just not the truth.

The truth was quite different. The man that was taken prisoner was a "captain" in the Viet Cong and was personally responsible for the deaths of members of a deputy Saigon police commanders family, as well as countless others during the Tet Offensive of 1968. When the deputy commander failed to follow the orders of the chief to execute this prisoner (since he was not in uniform, he is considered to be a spy and can be summarily executed according to the Geneva Convention), he did so himself. This was to insure that when he gave orders, they were to be carried out, and that there was no order that he would give to his subordinates that he would not do himself.

This kind of summary execution is not unknown for people caught performing acts of espionage during time of war. Why? Information costs the lives of your countrymen, and to insure that what information a spy has does not get back to his masters, the spy is killed. History is replete with examples of this, all quite "barbaric" in times of peace. During war time, it is a necessity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast