Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wtf Is "soon"?

Angry Wtf Is "soon"?

When is the big patch coming?!?! I ask people and all they say is "soon". The main thing I am looking at is IP reset, and I want to know when? Give me at least a time, not "soon"! Just tell me if it's a month, or a few weeks! Damnit soon can means a lot of things, it can be "Soon we'll be living on the moon." Or "Soon I'm take a crap."
    Money is everything.

Soon
    -- Falling never killed anyone, its always the landing.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    RK-1
    |OT|
    Telgi-61 Solitus Enforcer
    Gauf-31 Nanomage Doctor
    Saruzi- -=128=- Opifex Nano-Technician.
    Manstien-44 Solitus Soldier

new patch is coming very soon

getting sooner and sooner by the second.

<how are we ment to know? i dont own a crystal ball>
    My lungs arent blackened by tar, they're blackened by SIN!

well....soon - but if you want me to take a guess I'll say beginning-middle of next month (I might be wrong but that's kind of the point of guessing) I base this on the last patch as it spend around a month on the test server. However this patch looks a bit more complicated and might need a bit more testing which is way I said middle. On the other hand FunCom might have gotten it right in the first try and it won't have to spend a long time on the test server.
    Conclusion: Soon

In the world of software soon means the following...

a) As soon as we think we have a handle on all the bugs...not nessesarily fixed but we know what they are and how bad they will affect the customer.

b) As soon as the marketing department conquers the engineering department and forces the product out the door.

c) As soon as people from QA stop running into the engineering manager's office screaming bloody murder.

d) As soon as the engineering manager has beaten the QA manager and support into submission and they have given up arguing that X issue must be fixed before release.

At least that's what it has meant at every software company I have worked for. But seriously it is really difficult to put an exact time table on a software deliverable. I can only imagine how hard it is when you have to constantly integrate those changes into a huge running system like AO while trying not to break anything or cause undo harm. (Not that this hasn't/doesn't still happen) You never know what down the road effect a small insignifigant change in your piece of the project may have on someone elses piece of the project. Rescope a variable that you thought was only used by you to find out that 2 other developers where calling it without you even knowing they were using it. Stuff like this is all to common in team based development, your little change makes my entire section of code stop functioning and it takes me days to realize what happened. Schedules are always pushed back by QA because without fail there is always a problem that needs to be addressed and as Mr. Murphy told you it will always be worse than you though it could be. So soon generally is any amount of time less than a 3 months. After three months you are told sometime next quarter, even though you have no idea when the companies quarter ends or begins.
    Last edited by Zarrot; May 10th, 2002 at 14:35:53.

Re: Wtf Is "soon"?

Originally posted by Seth767
    Wtf Is "soon"?

soon Pronunciation Key (sn)
    adv. soon·er, soon·est
    1. In the near future; shortly.
    2. Without hesitation; promptly: came as soon as possible.
    3. Before the usual or appointed time; early.
    4. With willingness; readily: I'd as soon leave right now.
    5. Obsolete. Immediately.

Idioms:
    no sooner than
    As soon as: No sooner was the frost off the ground than the work began.
    sooner or later
    At some time; eventually: Sooner or later you will have to face the facts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Middle English sone, from Old English sna, immediately, soon.
    USAGE NOTE: No sooner, as a comparative adverb, should be followed by than not when, as in these typical examples: No sooner had she come than the maid knocked. I had no sooner left than she called.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
    Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
    Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

soon

\Soon\, a. Speedy; quick. [Obs.] --Shak.
    Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

soon

\Soon\, adv. [OE. sone, AS. s?na; cf. OFries. s?n, OS. s[=a]na, s[=a]no, OHG. s[=a]r, Goth. suns.] 1. In a short time; shortly after any time specified or supposed; as, soon after sunrise. ``Sooner said than done.'' --Old Proverb. ``As soon as it might be.'' --Chaucer.

She finished, and the subtle fiend his lore Soon learned. --Milton.

2. Without the usual delay; before any time supposed; early.

How is it that ye are come so soon to-day? --Ex. ii. 18.

3. Promptly; quickly; easily.

Small lights are soon blown out, huge fires abide. --Shak.

4. Readily; willingly; -- in this sense used with would, or some other word expressing will.

I would as soon see a river winding through woods or in meadows, as when it is tossed up in so many whimsical figures at Versailles. --Addison.

As soon as, or So soon as, immediately at or after another event. ``As soon as he came nigh unto the camp . . . he saw the calf, and the dancing.'' --Ex. xxxii. 19. See So . . . as, under So.

Soon at, as soon as; or, as soon as the time referred to arrives. [Obs.] ``I shall be sent for soon at night.'' --Shak.

Sooner or later, at some uncertain time in the future; as, he will discover his mistake sooner or later.

With the soonest, as soon as any; among the earliest; too soon. [Obs.] --Holland.

soon

adv : in the near future; "the doctor will soon be here"; "the book will appear shortly"; "she will arrive presently"; "we should have news before long" [syn: shortly, presently, before long]
    Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

soon

SOON: in Acronym Finder

Source: Acronym Finder, © 1988-2001 Mountain Data Systems

http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=soon

there is no spoon
    MP lvl 139 Mysticknight

Re: Re: Wtf Is "soon"?

Originally posted by Thunderlips

adv. soon·er, soon·est

Idioms:
    no sooner than
    As soon as: No sooner was the frost off the ground than the work began.
    sooner or later
    At some time; eventually: Sooner or later you will have to face the facts.

[Middle English sone, from Old English sna, immediately, soon.
    USAGE NOTE: No sooner, as a comparative adverb, should be followed by than not when, as in these typical examples: No sooner had she come than the maid knocked. I had no sooner left than she called.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

soon

\Soon\, a. Speedy; quick. [Obs.] --Shak.

soon

\Soon\, adv. [OE. sone, AS. s?na; cf. OFries. s?n, OS. s[=a]na, s[=a]no, OHG. s[=a]r, Goth. suns.] 1. In a short time; shortly after any time specified or supposed; as, soon after sunrise. ``Sooner said than done.'' --Old Proverb. ``As soon as it might be.'' --Chaucer.

She finished, and the subtle fiend his lore Soon learned. --Milton.

2. Without the usual delay; before any time supposed; early.

How is it that ye are come so soon to-day? --Ex. ii. 18.

3. Promptly; quickly; easily.

Small lights are soon blown out, huge fires abide. --Shak.

4. Readily; willingly; -- in this sense used with would, or some other word expressing will.

I would as soon see a river winding through woods or in meadows, as when it is tossed up in so many whimsical figures at Versailles. --Addison.

As soon as, or So soon as, immediately at or after another event. ``As soon as he came nigh unto the camp . . . he saw the calf, and the dancing.'' --Ex. xxxii. 19. See So . . . as, under So.

Soon at, as soon as; or, as soon as the time referred to arrives. [Obs.] ``I shall be sent for soon at night.'' --Shak.

Sooner or later, at some uncertain time in the future; as, he will discover his mistake sooner or later.

With the soonest, as soon as any; among the earliest; too soon. [Obs.] --Holland.

soon

adv : in the near future; "the doctor will soon be here"; "the book will appear shortly"; "she will arrive presently"; "we should have news before long" [syn: shortly, presently, before long]
    Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

soon

SOON: in Acronym Finder

Source: Acronym Finder, © 1988-2001 Mountain Data Systems

http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=soon

LMAO

You guys
    Cant belive that you even bother

Soon still. It deserved a bump! Bump this again...soon...
    RK-1
    |OT|
    Gauf-31 Nanomage Doctor

Re: Re: Wtf Is "soon"?

Originally posted by Thunderlips

adv. soon·er, soon·est

smart-ass (smärts)
    n. Slang
    A smart aleck.

smart-ass adj.

{Beyond the Drunken Master, is the Plastered Master} Lilasiandude 216 MA
    Proud Member of Storm, and the Betty Ford Clinic

-Sllammer 216 enf. - Frank the Tank! Frank the Tank! Frank the Tank! Click!

BE STORM

hey

its even sooner now!

whoa
    /DaveDread (D.A.V.E.D.R.E.A.D.: Digital Artificial Violence and Exploration Device/Replicant Engineered for Assassination and Destruction mohahaha)

200 Opifex Clanner Gimp - Dinged in Style! (dimached a Virulent Minibull) Finally got my head straight, nothing like a goat helmet to get you in shape again. Oh, and those marks on my forehead (yah, still visible through the helmet, duh)... It was a Motorcycle baby. Really. Ran me over in West Athens while I was working on my tan. Think I look bad? You should see the biker.

!

Yeah, and this is happening right now! LIVE.

some quotes from spaceballs the movie
    "Now is now now, what happend to then?, we just passed it!, when?, now, hoooow?"

Should be very soon now.

/G13
    pirates. with lasers.
    Are you having an argument on the internet, again?

Gene13 - on a space odyssey since 2001
    XXX - N

Some day your ship will come in, but you will be at the airport.

Soon fast approaches!
    RK-1
    |OT|
    Gauf-31 Nanomage Doctor

When is SOON?

Soon falls between "In a little bit" and "In just a minute.

Let me give you a graphical representation:

In a little bit.....................Soon..................In just a minute

Glad I could give you a clear and concise answer, not like the rest of these guys/girls.

Honbo

SOON

Yes, pretty soon indeed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast