Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OOC: you and the Main storyline organisations and clans

OOC: you and the Main storyline organisations and clans

As of late we more and more see the tendency of players on these forums to make claims in the name of official storyline clans and organisations that are unfounded by anything.

Some lead examples here are the commander Grant incident where a player asserted himself as commander in chief of the peacekeepers or currently the sentinel arrestwarrant that was issued by a player in name of the Sentinels.

In both cases we have reacted (as far as possible) in-character.

I wish to remind you as players that while we give you great liberty to use (and sometimes abuse) the names of the main storyline clans and organisations, that sometimes you take this too far.
    Keep in mind that IF you wish to keep up your roleplay as being a part of a major storyline org or clan you're out there somewhere at the bottom of the foodchain, NOT at the top.

If you want to play a sentinel. You have my endorsement, but you do NOT speak for Simon or the ENTIRE sentinel clan. If you want to play an OP trooper, again you have my endorsement, but that does NOT mean you can declare war on the clans singlehandedly without getting whistled back from the top. If you wish to play an ICC peacekeeper, we allow it, but keep in mind that the major decisions WILL be taken for you.

OR, to sum it all up:
    If your clan or org is named after a main storyline clan or org, it DOES NOT automatically imply you ARE or ARE IN CONTROL OF the main storyline clan or org.

If you wish to disregard this, please do not get angry when we react accordingly as we did in the case of both examples stated.

-Fantaghiro
    Last edited by Fantaghiro; Feb 28th, 2004 at 15:21:11.
    Events are like a pack of Dobberman pinchers. the only satisfying way to use them is to unleash them onto innocent bystanders

Re: OOC: you and the Main storyline organisations and clans

Originally posted by Fantaghiro
    ... that does NOT mean you can declare war on the clans singlehandedly
    We can still throw rocks etched with the likeness of Philip Ross and the words "Have a nice day!" on them at Clanners though, right?
    Last edited by Nevver; Feb 29th, 2004 at 01:22:29.
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Re: OOC: you and the Main storyline organisations and clans

Keep in mind that IF you wish to keep up your roleplay as being a part of a major storyline org or clan you're out there somewhere at the bottom of the foodchain, NOT at the top.
    Thats a bit harsh I'd say. Sounds like your really encouraging people there.

Benjamin "Fixerben" Bacarella - L212 AL10
    Haywood "Brawlking" Jablomy - L220 AL21

It’s not harsh. It’s just a reminder that I can’t start an organization called “The Omni-Tek Board of Directors” and make an announcement that Omni-Tek will be abandoning all operations on Rubi-Ka, and then expect FunCom to follow suit. Or, for those RP’ing on the other side, you can’t make a Council of Truth, announce an unconditional surrender to Omni-Tek, and expect the Sentinels and Dust Brigade to go “Oh, okay then. I guess I’ll go get a factory job.”

The events team wrote up a nice little guide back in '02 that explains it all quite well. It's over Here if your intrested.
    Last edited by Marisha; Feb 29th, 2004 at 15:27:24.
    Marisha Durousseau, War Dominatrix of The Honored Maidens

Resources exist to be consumed. And consumed they will be, if not by this generation then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright?--CEO Nwabudike Morgan, "The Ethics of Greed"

Read Marisha's Journal, and see what she's doing

Spot on here and was probably a good idea to revisit the issue as many may have forgotten.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

((Definitely. If players try to take the lead with the storyline, everyone else becomes confused as to what is supposed to be going on as only those who took the lead would have any idea what was going on.))
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

I don't see what's disheartening in this announcement. It's utter logics that no, you can't create "the official storyline" in your little corner of the game. And if I was able to assume this all by myself without even having ever read the announcement for which Marisha posted the link, I suppose other people should too, and not find themselves highly offended when a reminder is given.

Yes, as far as the official events are concerned, we players are at the end of the chain; the way I understand what Fantaghiro has written, it's not a nasty comment about our role, it simply is that we're not the ones *behind* the storyline (read: we're not the ones deciding when Radiman appears in town, when Ross makes an speech, what's in the speech, etc etc).

Any kind of official storyline needs to have a solid basis on which to build up. It goes the same for every kind of storyteller, and for when we play our own inter-orgs plotlines. I wouldn't appreciate to run a plot with, say, the NLF, and see Aazamon suddenly go around publishing stuff about how his org declares war on us and has just blown up our offices with a bomb; I'd be like, "WTF, we never decided that!" So... I assume it goes the same way for the people who are behind the official events. These have repercussions over the whole Rubi-Ka, the whole background, are published on the forums through articles etc. It's normal that they can't be altered in a simple twist of a hand just because one player decides to write a statement in the name of a Clan/Department. You can allow yourself a slight screw-up when running a small plot between two small orgs. You can't allow yourself to screw up when it concerns the whole world of Rubi-Ka.

This said, yes, basically - I agree. Looks like it needed to be reminded these days anyway.
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

The rock throwing is okay though, right? Can I get an official confirmation on this? Preferably from Mr. Ross?
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Well, as others have said, this seems like one of those "duh" moments, where you would assume everyone would know this. I think, though, that Funcom is experiencing some of the unfortunate side-effects of it's own EXTREMELY generous policies. I have NEVER seen a game which allowed for the extent of roleplaying interaction or player participation that Anarchy Online has. Never ever. The mere FACT that there is a player run group called "Omni-Pol" that has existed since the beginning of the game, and which wasn't IMMEDIATELY nixed by the developers is incredible.

I think it's one of the neatest things about this game, but, sadly, there will always be a handful of people out there who feel they can get away with ANYTHING because they've been given so much... *sigh*

-Blackpetal

P.S. I'm pretty sure the rock throwing is a violation of something-or-other, Nevver. ^_^
    Senior Partner, Schuemann & Associates (on leave)

yes rock throwing is allowed
    it's called 'a private initiative'
    Events are like a pack of Dobberman pinchers. the only satisfying way to use them is to unleash them onto innocent bystanders

I never was able to take people seriously if and when they claimed high standing in one of the NPC clans/departments, sending out orders or press releases or simply speaking on behalf of that clan....things that - if real - would change the world, the political situation, the peace/war situation, the policies of the entire clan/department, technology on a whole etc.

Personally, I'm happy that ARK Events stomps their feet and makes an example when this happens, because it should be pretty obvious to anyone who roleplays just a little bit that one just doesn't do that. Doing it even so is regular abuse of the work both FC and ARK lay down in this.

Philip Ross is the executive director of OTRK, not players in Omni-Tek InternOps or Omni Elite armor. Simon Silverstone calls the shots for the Sentinels, not players with a dead goat on their heads or a full Sentinel armor set. Lord Galahad leads The Knights, not player running around in Knights armor, and the Dust Brigade is not run by player in DB attire.

Like Blackpetal says, Funcom has been extremely generous when it comes to world changes based on player interaction, roleplaying interaction and acknowledgement of efforts. We are the players of this world, and they are the Game Masters. It's not up to us to create and destroy at whim. Sure, play a Sentinel trooper, an Omni InternOps sub-department or a division of ICC, but don't go around pretending you are are one of the NPCs that lead a NPC clan/department, and don't assume people will take you seriously if you do.

Create storylines, plotlines, interesting characters and events as much as you'd like, but go by the guidelines listed in the link MArisha posted. The future is in our hand, as it says there. Just not the official storyline, the official storyline charatcers and the official storyline clan/departments.
    Last edited by Tussa; Mar 1st, 2004 at 11:33:50.

I just meant that it was worded harshly. Its a very true statement, but it could have been made in another way.

Benjamin "Fixerben" Bacarella - L212 AL10
    Haywood "Brawlking" Jablomy - L220 AL21

Agreed. I have come across RP on the forums that directly counter what is said in the Rubi-Ka Storyline. It's gotten to the point that I totally ignore the forums (besides this because ARK sponsers it). Because they had a message thing awhile ago that had I think it was someone finding a weapons cache in SLs that was.... umm... I forget what it was. Big nasty and blow clans to BEEP. That would kinda suck. No clans. Also. On the other hand of the arguement. Trying to get a semi important to important part in the storyline with maybe ARK helping (Know some orgs have had it) is nearly impossible. I have even emailed. I keep on getting ignored

Mirm
    203 doctor

Originally posted by Fixerben
    I just meant that it was worded harshly. Its a very true statement, but it could have been made in another way.
    Sometimes brutal honesty is the best way to get a point across. If it is, in fact, a true statement--why sugar coat it? It leaves no doubt where we, as players, stand when it comes to the storyline of Anarchy Online.

Originally posted by Lille/Wave
    I The future is in our hand, as it says there. Just not the official storyline, the official storyline charatcers and the official storyline clan/departments.
    This is not true.
    When it comes to the main storyline players DO have a big say, but there's 30,000 players who want an equal say in the main storyline, so influence there is never as personal and never carries the personal impact people desire or hope for since it is always a compromise. And because it's a compromise that: "I made that possible!" feel some players seem to crave for isn't there.

To sum it up..players DO have an impact on the main storyline, but in a more subtle way than most hope for.

Now, having said that, if you REALLY want to shape the story there's only one way save from getting employed by Funcom:
    [shameless plug]
    Join ARK, stick it out there and get into the events department!
    [/shameless plug]

-Fantaghiro

Originally posted by Fixerben

To quote Jack nicholson in Batman:
    You can't make a omelette without breaking eggs.
    Experience so far has taught me that carefully worded sentences tend to be misinterpreted and twisted around.

Like a friend of mine uses to say: forum posts are like cookies.
    your message might be a stale cracker, but if you disguise it in chocolat and sprinkles, all people will see is chocolat and sprinkles and the stale cracker is disregarded as: something he probably didn't mean that way.

So, in this case I prefer to be blunt, harsh and to-the-point to prevent the 'But I didn't know that' defense or the ever popular 'that was not what you wrote' if we have to intervene.

-Fantaghiro

This is not true.
    When it comes to the main storyline players DO have a big say, but there's 30,000 players who want an equal say in the main storyline, so influence there is never as personal and never carries the personal impact people desire or hope for since it is always a compromise.
    That's not what I meant. I meant that players are not the ones who decide what goes and not. Influence. Sure. Decision. I hardly think so. To quote what is written on the player storytelling guide from FC/ARK:

• Should not feature any major story characters (Ross, Radiman, etc.)
    • Should not create relationships for major story characters (Radiman's Mistress, Ross' daughter, etc.)
    • Should not trigger any major world events that might eclipse the story (wars, major political upheavals, plagues etc.)
    • Should not introduce any new technology (ships, weapons, etc.)
    • Should not introduce new breeds, races, or monsters.
    • Should not create personality for current breeds, races, or monsters. (Suddenly Eye Mutants know how to cook and are master chefs!)
    • Should not alter the existing political hierarchy (who leads the various departments of Omni-Tek, or the major Clans, etc.)
    • Should not contradict the main story
    • Should not explain historical events (old Earth war, early history of Rubi-Ka, etc.)
    • Should not have to rely on GM support.

I pretty much take that as..."you do not own the official storyline/official storyline characters/official storyline clans/departments."

*shrug*

I pretty much take that as..."you do not own the official storyline/official storyline characters/official storyline clans/departments."
    well... you dont. They are all intellectual property of funcom... They own those names, those personages, and thos concepets. And in the interests of business, they have to have storylines that continue... for everyone, not just one side.
    Division9, RSGE

Jaklin 'Vadimoridin' Jones - Doctor
    Mavron - Engineer
    Calis "Covayende" Camori - Martial Artist

(Not Div9 Affiliated)
    Marissa 'Tohdasar' Aristo - Doctor

*nods agreeably at Vadimoridin*

Also...

That's not what I meant. I meant that players are not the ones who decide what goes and not. Influence. Sure. Decision. I hardly think so.
    30,000 people all involved in the final decision process that is administrated and doled out by the company who creates the environment is hardly something to get semantic about.

Yes, it's decision by a massive number of players. Yes, that also translates to influence. No, there's really no other fair way to do it. Sometimes I thank the higher powers for that fact, knowing some of the "influences" certain people would want to implement. *shudders*
    Last edited by Tarryk; Mar 5th, 2004 at 18:46:55.
    --The connections that enable us to learn are infinitely more important than our state of knowing.

Originally posted by Tarryk
    Sometimes I thank the higher powers for that fact, knowing some of the "influences" certain people would want to implement. *shudders*
    Nevver blinks.
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast