Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should I be able to earn XP without killing and fighting? ( little long , read please

Trade skills offer no risk to the player. Talk about easy.

Raise the skill, do the job.

No way in hell a QL110 implant deserves to give the same exp.
    as a QL110 mob, and someone suggested, that's insane.

The effort isn't even close, nor is the risk.

And let's not forget about Maetros. Talk about twinking...
    "Ideas are more dangerous than guns.
    We wouldn't let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?"

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mimmi
    What if you got an equal amount of xp no matter what you did (killing lvl 120 mob = assembling ql 120 imp) but that xp could only be distributed in the area which it came from? In other words.. Kill a mob and the xp you get can only be spent on combat skills, build an implant and the xp you get must be spent on tradeskills. You get the picture... That way you can become a master nanoprogramer without ever participating in one single battle, but your weaponskill would suck.

That is an excellent idea. So you might have an Engineer who's attained a decent level, yet has next to no fighting skills. Or a high level NT who can't cast any good DD's, but can assemble implants like a mofo. I like that idea alot.

I still don't know how you'd incorporate someting for a crat... and politics is 100% "human factor". What would you do for an rp'er...? how would they gain skill...? I don't know- there must be some logical equivalent, but I honestly can't think of it.

Thumbs up

Big BUMP!
    Troll Commando, doing the dirty work that need to be done.

Examples of how different profs could gain xp without fighting :

Doctors : Healing of course. Installing implants on someone by using surgeryclinics. Manufacturing stimpacks etc. Curing poison (dots).

Soldiers/Enf/Ma : Well.. we already have those covered, dont you think?

Nt's : Successfully mezzing a mob. Xp for transporting people by means of teleporting. (Think the wizards taxi-service from EQ)

Fixer : More bonus for picking locks / disarming traps than other profs get. Xp from gridding people. Small amount of xp if they manage to sell something from the fixershop to a player.

Agent : Xp for successfully sneaking an entire mission without being spotted.

Engineers : Tradeskills, tradeskills, tradeskills... Also xp for warping someone. More xp first time they manufacture a new item.

Traders : Gain xp if they sell an item for more than 75% of what it is worth in the vendingmachine. Gain xp if they increase their wealth by more than 25% in one hour. Wrangling-xp.

Mp's : We already have nanoprograming. What else? See weddings and tutoring below.

Adventurers : Xp when uploading new mapupgrades/maps. First time they see (just target) a new monster. Additional xp if they are the only ones in the team with a map for the zone they are exploring. That way he gets xp for 'guiding' his team.

Crats : Mezzing mobs / charming. Xp over time for being guildleaders or having important guild-titles.

Other ways to get xp :

* First time equiping new line of weapons/armors

* Some kind of "master-apprentice" system which allows a lvl 10 get a very small amount of xp if they happen to have a lvl 160+ (of same prof) in their team or something. This symbolize how the good advices he gets from his mentor allows him to reach enlightenment faster. The mentor could also benefit from this by gaining a small bonus to tutoring.

* For a certain distance traveled on foot.

* First time entering a new zone / subzone

* Why not gain xp when you hold a wedding ceremony? Both bride and groom must be in same team as the priest, then they must push "yes" button to get married. Priest gets xp for doing his duty. Maybe the couple gets xp too, after all, marriage is one hell of an adventure This could be used in many social events, not only weddings.

Ok, I know, I know... Many of these examples could probably be exploited beyond belief so no need pointing that out, but my point is - There ARE ways of doing this and with some creativity Im sure this list could expand several pages.

As for "but its not fair they gain xp without taking any risks". Well... Thats how things are in real life too. Some fight in the army and some become good programmers by sitting behind a desk. The reason to get this system into the game is not for lazy players to gain a cheap access to power, it is to let people who are bored to death of fighting do something else for a while without being punished (no xp whatsoever). Im sure that most roleplayers and tradeskill-lovers wont stop fighting if we had this in game, they would just fight 'less', and the benefit of this would be a healthy tradeskillcomminty that in the end would benefit the hard-core fighters too, as well as a healthy rpg-community to satisfy the rest.

mmm... Im babbling now. /voice off

-------------------------------------
    -"Hey! Grats on your "Nobel prize winner" title!
    -"duh... I have no idea how I got it, I've been killing mutants for my entire life..."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123